Start by marking “Hunting the Eagles” as Want to Read:
Hunting the Eagles

Hunting the Eagles

(Eagles of Rome #2)

From 'the rising star of historical fiction' (Wilbur Smith) a new Eagles of Rome novel, by the Sunday Times bestselling author of Eagles at War.

JUSTICE , HONOUR, REVENGE

AD 14: Five long years have passed since the annihilation of three legions in the wilds of Germania.

Demoted, battle-scarred and hell-bent on revenge, Centurion Tullus and his legionaries begin their fightba
Published August 25th 2016 by Arrow (first published March 24th 2016)

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
I do enjoy a good military style book about ancient Rome, though this one didn’t quite carry the intensity of the first one in the series. It lacked the energy and bloodbath its predecessor drove to.

The best part of the writing is how the ignorance, and supposed superiority, of the Romans was channelled. Centurion Tulus considers his enemies, the German tribesman, savages because they slaughtered an army of Rome, but the actions of the mighty Romans- the slaughtering of women and children- is ju
Jane
Continuation of the story of Centurion Tullus and the other survivors of the Teutoberg Disaster. He and some of the legionaries in his original legion--the 18th--which had nearly been wiped out-- are now in the 5th Legion. Germanicus, general, a member of the imperial family, comes to take charge of several legions on the Germania frontier. He and they are bent on revenge for the Teutoberg, several years earlier. A mutiny of some soldiers is put down and ringleaders executed. There is much chara ...more
Stephanie (Bookfever)
Hunting the Eagles was just as good — if not a little better — as the first book, Eagles at War. I literally loved every single page of it, never wanted to put my Kindle down or ever get bored. Ben Kane is fast turning into one of my favorite historical fiction authors!

The first book was one of my top favorites of 2015, so I'm really thrilled to say that Hunting the Eagles wasn't a disappointment at all. If anything, I think I enjoyed it even more because I was already familiar with the characte
Kate
Utterly outstanding! Not only a fantastic follow up to Eagles of War, one of the best books of 2015 in my opinion, but also superb in its own right. Bravo!

Margaret
The second book of the Eagles of Rome series is as good as the first.

Less outright fighting, but more interesting in some respects, as it deals with the Rhine mutinies.

Very much looking forward to reading the third book of the trilogy.
Jose Marquez
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Muy buen libro, súper enganchado con los personajes y la narrativa muy dinámica. Excelente segunda parte. Suspenso en todos los capítulos que no te provoca soltar el libro. Recomendado y feliz de volver a leer a Ben Kane.
Robin Carter
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Click link for full review

Review

Reading a Ben Kane book is always a different experience from all the other Roman books i normally read. There seem to be so many types and styles since Rome became the bedrock of Historical Fiction, from the cut and thrust of the bloody swords and sandals to devious machinations of roman politics and criminal nefarious enterprise and rooting it out with only the tools and minds of the time. But with Ben i always feel you ge
James
Oct 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, history
A very competently written historic blood and guts novel. Reminded me of Bernard Cornwall with a little more historical vim and a little less drama. A pleasant way to spend three hours.
Speesh
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roman-empire
Well, reading much of the synopsis you'd be forgiven for thinking that this sounds just like a re-run of Book One. It isn't. Not really. Though there are a number of similarities. Luckily, Ben gives us the superb writing and character depth of the first book, as his similarities. The Romans, to my limited knowledge of the actual events, seem intent on making all the same similar mistakes as in book one. The reason? Well, maybe arrogance. Maybe surprise, that the proto-Germans wouldn't roll over ...more
mixal
Probably the best Kane's book so far, staying far from the YA feel of some of the earlier books.
Jorge Williams
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really great sequel to Eagles at War. Centurion Tullus clearly dealing with some PTSD from the slaughter in the teutoburg forest was a good touch as well as the usual realistic battles and dialogue. I shall be reading the next one for sure.
S.J.A. Turney
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s been a year or two since I last journeyed with Tullus and his companions in Eagles At War. And in some way, I feel that has improved my approach to the book rather than having launched into it on its release, because as this story opens 5 years have passed since the dreadful massacre in the Teutoborg forest where 3 legions were obliterated, a few straggling survivors limping back beaten and dejected to Roman lands.

Tullus is determined to revenge himself in Arminius and the Germans who destr
Nick Brett
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An author growing in (deserved) stature and confidence. This is the follow up to “Eagles at War” where a trusted ally walked three Roman legions into a trap and decimated them. We saw this through the eyes and actions of a centurion, Lucius Tullus who escaped with a small number of his men.
This is set six years later and the few survivors are still suffering the disgrace of the defeat and Rome has decided it is time for revenge and, with luck, recover the lost legion standards (Eagles). But thes
Randhir
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ben Kane writes another Roman thriller. It carries forward the story of Centurian Tullus, demoted after the defeat in the Teutoburg Forest where 15000 soldiers of three legions were massacred in an ambush by the German Chieftain Arminius. The Eagle of Tullus' Legion was taken. Despite six long years Tullus still thirsts for revenge and a burning desire to recover the Eagle. Under Germanicus the Legions begin their operation to avenge the defeat. Tullus is promoted to his old position of leading ...more
Jeff Jones
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in Kane's Eagles trilogy and is far superior in my opinion to the first book (see my review). I found Eagles at War to be slow to start and a bit pedestrian but the protracted battle scenes at the end were extremely well done and enjoyable.

By comparison, Hunting the Eagles, which picks up some 5 years after the massacre of Varus' legions in the German forest, is more fast paced with more action - not just battle scenes but stuff moving the story forward. I also think that
Alyson
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

Another fantastic novel by Ben Kane. I read it in one sitting, as I did with the first Eagles of Rome book. Ben's writing style is such that it enables an unimaginative reader like myself, to feel like I was there in the thick of the action fighting next to Tullus and his 'brothers'. Keep up the good work. Can't wait to read the final book of the trilogy.
Gary Dolman
This was a gift, and, to be brutally honest, not one I'd have bought for myself, although the Classical period fascinates me. I made a few pages but the dialogue quickly killed it for me. It wasn't true to period enough for my tastes. My 2-star rating seems to be at odds with everyone else's and the plot may be - and probably is - engaging, but I couldn't get into it. Sorry.
Barry Murray
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read, captivating from start to finish, Ben Kane in my opinion is setting the mark for all historical fiction writers. Can't wait to start reading the third installment of the series :) Top marks.
Mike Mason
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read. Enjoyed the character of Tullus and the references to the previous Tuetenbuerg forest campaign. Will be reading more of Ben Kane for sure.
Clemens Schoonderwoert
This very adventurous and exciting book is the 2nd volume of the "Eagles of Rome" trilogy.
The historical details concerning this great story has been once again extremely well researched and documented in the author's note, and the book also contains a wonderfully explained glossary.
Storytelling is as ever of a top-notch quality, because once again the author has kept me captivated and spellbound from start to finish with this wonderful and very impressive read.
All the characters within this gri
Estibaliz79
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mi primera novela de Ben Kane (que aunque es segunda parte en una trilogía, se deja leer sin problemas de forma independiente), sin duda podría ser la primera de muchas... si la logística lo permitiese; porque todo lector de novela histórica sabe que no todos los autores del género logran el equilibrio perfecto entre realidad y ficción, entre lo didáctico y el puro divertimento... pero Kane sí que tiene la fórmula.

"La Caza de las Águilas" transcurre entre los años 14 y 15 d.C., y se centra en la
David
I actually read this in a busy period, as a sort of on-again-off-again kind of deal amongst a couple of other (shorter, less involved) novels.

This is the second in Ben Kane's 'Eagles of Rome' series, that deals with - in the first novel (Eagles at War) perhaps Rome's most famous defeat of all: that which led (according to legend) the Emperor Augustus Caesar to cry 'Varus, give me back my legions' after that general lost three legions and - horror of horrors! - their eagles in the battle (ambush)
Raúl San Martín Rodríguez
No recuerdo haber leído alguna novela histórica de la época Romana (salvo "Médico de Cuerpo y Alma"). Esta ha sido una muy grata experiencia, que me ha devuelto a los conocimientos adquiridos en mi época escolar y universitaria. Siempre me ha fascinado saber más acerca cómo vivían los Romanos y de qué manera se comportaban la sociedad hace 2 mil años. Si bien es historia novelada, el autor justifica con datos históricos los momentos claves de la narración. Además, aprendí nuevas cosas sobre la c ...more
David Williams
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second installment of the Eagles trilogy puts the reader straight back into the fray and at the heart of a troubled Roman Legion. Kane expands on bit characters from the first book making you really care about their well being, which is not an easy task.

My only real quibble is the lack of imagination with some of the character names, especially those in the German ranks, Mule Cock, Big Nose and Thin Face did nothing but annoy me. I understand that historical texts from that time do not docum
Iván Ballesteros
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oye pues engancha, te hace pasar un rato entretenido. Novela sencilla, para pasar un rato ameno. No es la típica novela histórica cansina donde te explican todos los detalles como si el lector fuera tonto. Con un gran nota del autor dónde explica el porqué de ciertas tramas de la novela. No te mete la Historia con calzador como hacen algunos otros autores de novela histórica y quizás por ello sea un género que suelo escoger con mucho cuidado. Es divertida, a veces un poco monótona. Donde los bue ...more
Anne Robinson
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another exciting episode in the series and a very good read. I, fortunately, have no experience of warfare, but the writer really makes the reader feel part of the Roman army as the soldiers trudge through the mud, blood and bodies of their enemies, struggling with the weight of their equipment and with total exhaustion. As a feminist, I found it rather difficult to read some of the remarks about women, rape and prostitution, but I suppose that Kane gets the tone right for men in this situation, ...more
Burt
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Continuing the saga of Tullus and Fenestela begun in Eagles at War, Tullus and the remnants of the eighteenth legion have been placed in the fifth legion. Three years after Varus's defeat, the Roman legions under Germanicus are preparing to gain revenge on the German tribes and recover the lost eagles. Germanicus puts down a mutiny ruthlessly, then leads six legions out into the heartland of Germany. Arminius plots another assault on the legions, which, of course fails.

Another fine novel by BenK
Daniel Kelly
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-own
The Jessica Fletcher of ancient rome

Another brilliant read from Ben Kane, battles brought so alarmingly to life you almost almost flinch everytime you read the word barritas.
It struck me though halfway through reading it, the same thing I have always thought about murder she wrote. If the main character ever visits your town, leave, at least until they do. Because death and chaos follow on their heels. Feel deaths hot breath on your shoulder as you slog through the bog knee deep in mud
John
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun one from Ben Kane! Not as utterly engrossing as Book #1 from the series, but a fun read and an informative one that ended up with me Wikipedia-ing bits and bobs about Rome and Roman Empire History once again. I also really enjoy his Author's Notes at the end, I love the bit of personality at the end and had no idea he was such a Rugby Fan! #shouldertoshoulder Will definitely be reading the final installment.
Felipe Morales
Hermoso! esta segunda parte ha sido magnifica, cargada de batallas llenas de acción y tensión; además de personajes entrañables y bien construidos. Sin dudas un gran trabajo de Ben Kane.
Espero con ansias comenzar el tercero y conocer como terminara toda esta historia.
Para cerrar, el punto mas fuerte del libro, son sus personajes, los cuales nos hacen sentir como un legionario más, permitiéndonos sentir junto con ellos cada momento del libro.
  • Sword of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #4)
  • The Emperor's Silver (Agent of Rome #5)
  • Thunder of the Gods (Empire, #8)
  • Battle for Rome (Twilight of Empire, #3)
  • Land of the Sacred Fire (Legionary, #3)
  • Rome's Fallen Eagle (Vespasian, #4)
  • The Great Game (Praetorian #1)
  • The Amber Road (Warrior of Rome, #6)
Ben Kane is a bestselling Roman author and former veterinarian. He was born in Kenya and grew up in Ireland (where his parents are from). He has traveled widely and is a lifelong student of military history in general, and Roman history in particular. He lives in North Somerset, England, with his family.

Eagles of Rome (3 books)
  • Eagles at War (Eagles of Rome, #1)
  • Eagles in the Storm (Eagles of Rome #3)