Start by marking “A Walk Through the Bible” as Want to Read:
A Walk Through the Bible

A Walk Through the Bible

One of the most renowned theologians of our time tells the story of the Bible in a way that everyone can understand. Shortly before he died in 1998, Lesslie Newbigin recorded a series of eight radio addresses on basic themes and central figures in the Bible. These addresses, which form the basis of this book, affirm the Bible as the story of the history of humankind. Newbi ...more
Published August 26th 2005 by Regent College Publishing (first published January 28th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Walk Through the Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Walk Through the Bible

Start your review of A Walk Through the Bible
Joe Haack
This book is as short as an article. I loved it. I don't share Newbigin's views on some dating/authorship issues, but found his overview very inspiring.

Favorite quote:
"And even in our readings of the Bible in church, we tend to look at only very short passages which reinforces the impression that the Bible is a collection of nuggets of wisdom from which we can choose what we find helpful. But in that case, of course, it is not the Bible itself that decides what is worth reading: we decide in ad
Joshua Revelle
May 19, 2020 rated it liked it
A Walk Through the Bible is, as you would expect, a very brief overview of the Bible, introducing some of its key figures, events, and concepts. I found it delightful to read but not particularly illuminating.
Bruce Stopher
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A quick read of less than 85 pages that tells the big story of the Bible from beginning to end, from Creation to New Creation, arranging various books of the Bible in chronological order. Refreshing to see the big picture and then consider where I for into the scheme of things.
JT Caldwell
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The first Newbigin book I’ve read in full. The last chapter is worth the price of the whole book.
Drew
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Are you looking for more than a walk through the bible? Don't read this. You looking for a walk through the bible? There is no better guide than Mr. Newbigin.
Tim Hoiland
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith, anglican
In A Walk Through the Bible (Barefoot Ministries), the print version of a series of radio talks, Newbigin presents the Bible as one story that offers a unique account of history and “enables us to understand our own lives as part of that story.”

This is especially crucial, he says, because humans have tended to go in one of two directions in making sense of life. On the one hand have been those who have seen individual human beings as expendable contributors to some ideological project. “The logi
Paul
Jul 14, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a short and simple overview of the Bible's historical context. A lot of it was more of the same -- essentially an explanation from the Christian perspective of how the Old Testament points to Christ's death and resurrection. I did learn that there were more rulers and changes of power exerting control over the nation of Israel than I can really keep track of.
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Such a great read. Short, profound yet very accessible. Helps the reader get a big picture of the whole Bible and it's themes. Newbigin comes from a missionary background in India, yet a strong theological foundation, helping people with little or no understanding of a Christian worldview grasp it in its entirety.
Andrew Canavan
Dec 10, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was fine in many ways, but not as great as some of Newbigin's other books. For an introduction to the storyline of Scripture that is really great, albeit longer, check out D.A. Carson's The God Who Is There.
Winn
Oct 08, 2009 rated it liked it
It started well. I had high hopes. I like Newbigin a lot - and I love the idea here. It just went flat about halfway through. This was originally given as a series of radio lectures. I think that would have been better.
Wesley Ellis
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great, short, and accessible telling of the biblical narrative. Newbigin makes his own interpretative choices, as we all must. But his choices are generous, allowing freedom for dialogue. I'd consider this a great resource for group reading, catalytic for good conversation.
Rob
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this brief description of the bible. Newbigin does so well what many of us seek to do, which is to invite me and others to see ourselves as integral participants in God's story. It is well worth the hour investment.
Julian
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it
An excellent, simple and easily understandable walk through the Bible
Hlee4424

• A Little Book for New Historians: Why and How to Study History
  • Think: The Life of the Mind and the Love of God
  • Knowing God
  • When the King Took Flight
  • Napoleon: A Political Life (Revised)
  • A Frozen Heart
  • Visions of Vocation: Common Grace for the Common Good
Bishop James Edward Lesslie Newbigin was a British theologian, missiologist, missionary and author. Though originally ordained within the Church of Scotland, Newbigin spent much of his career serving as a missionary in India and became affiliated with the Church of South India and the United Reformed Church, becoming one of the Church of South India's first bishops. A prolific author who wrote on ...more

News & Interviews