Start by marking “Gerald McBoing Boing” as Want to Read:
Gerald McBoing Boing

Gerald McBoing Boing

They say it all started
when Gerald was two—
That’s the age kids start talking—least, most of them do.
Well, when he started talking,
you know what he said?
He didn’t talk words—
he went
boing boing instead!

So goes the hilarious tale of a boy who was a little bit different—a tale that only Dr. Seuss could create. Based on the Academy Award-winning motion picture!
Published January 13th 2004 by Golden Books (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Gerald McBoing Boing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gerald McBoing Boing

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! - that's 5 BOINGS! - a great book!
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Loved this one! You can’t go wrong with Dr. Seuss!
Katie Plumley
~Great introduction to onomatopoeia. Gerald makes the sounds around him instead of talking.

~Introduction to a movie, video, video game, radio show, etc. unit....Gerald becomes a Foley artist. Students could learn about making movies and produce their own!

~Inspirational for those students who have communication disorders, or don't fit in, ESOL or students with disabilities. Everyone has a purpose and a place.

~Acceptance, community, lifting each other up, etc.
Jeimy
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic!
Andy
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dr. Seuss fans, 50s cartoon fans
Shelves: kidstuff
I own every Gerald McBoing Boing cartoon on DVD and I’m a big Dr. Seuss fan. I even have the standee for the Cat in the Hat’s 50th Anniversary of publication and have the Private Snafu videos, so I’m dedicated. When I saw the book version of the first Gerald McBoing Boing cartoon I couldn’t buy it fast enough.

Kids will love the story of the little boy who only spoke in sound effects, but grown-ups will love the jazzy artwork that was so in style for mid-century cartoons. I always look at the art
Barbara
Readers can clearly see the influence of cinematography in this classic picture book by Dr. Seuss. I actually like the colorful images far more than I do some of Seuss's more whimsical artistic work. The story centers on a young boy named Gerald who never utters words but spouts out onomatopoeia throughout the day. This might not have presented a problem, but his parents don't understand him, and his classmates belittle him. So miserable is Gerald that he runs away from home. But before he has g ...more
Jay
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it
The story of the odd, but cute, kid (real name Gerald McCloy) who couldn't speak but could mimic any kind of sound imaginable (explosions, sirens, trains, etc.) entered my consciousness circa 1956, about the time the cartoon movie of this story appeared in all of its black and white glory on TV. My parents bought the book, and my father read it to me several times, usually as punishment. Confidentially, I actually found the story of this outcast young boy, bullied and ostracized by adults and ot ...more
Emmaline MacBeath
Gerald McCloy doesn't speak regular words. Instead he mimics sounds he hears. His exasperated father sends him to school to learn how to speak. But the teacher sends him home calling him hopeless. Gerald soon learns that the other children do not want to play with him because of his sounds. His parents are frustrated and angry with him. So Gerald runs away. But then he is found by the owner of a radio station who wants Gerald to come and use his sounds on the radio. Gerald becomes famous, his pa ...more
Laura Gibbs
Sep 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing

This book has a great theme—and I had actually never heard of it, even though it’s by a really famous author! This book is simply about a little boy who can’t talk, but instead makes noises like “boing boing!” or “clang clang clang!” His parents are very worried about him, have a doctor look at him but he doesn’t help him. So their next step is to send him to school; once he goes to school, people do nothing but tease him and make fun of him. His teacher doesn’t even accept him! He finally gets
Jennifer Strong
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, children-s
Gerald is a boy who doesn't say words. He says sounds instead! "Boing boing, Boom, Cuckoo and Clop-Clop, Bang!" just to name a few. At first his noises make people angry and scared. No one wants to be around this strange little boy. All that changes when the owner of a radio station tells Gerald how wonderful his sounds are and hires him. Now everyone sees his noises as talent instead of an abnormality.

This book is about recognizing the things that are unique to you as strengths. Gerald was dif
Jenny Schuth
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
I just finished Gerald Mc Boing Boing by Dr. Seuss and just like all of Seuss's books loved it. It is about Gerald who doesn't speak words but sounds instead. His parents don't know what to do with him and neither does the dr. They send him to school and his first grade teacher is at a loss too. After Gerald has no friends and feels like he has no place in the world he runs away. After a series of events he finally finds just where he belongs.

I really enjoyed this book. The rhymes were perfect
Brittany Koontz

Topic and Theme: Being Different, Young Boy

Curricular Use: Read Aloud, Individual Reading, Shared Reading

Social: Teasing, Rejected

Literary Elements: Onomatopoeia

Text and Pictures: Funny and clear pictures with a great message

Summary: Gerald McCloy could not speak like a normal child. Every time he talked, the only words that came out of his mouth were Boing Boing. Gerald felt unwanted, s
Tim
Apr 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The Brothers
A little boy finds himself the outsider in school, home, and life because he makes sound effects instead of talking . He's about ready to hit the rails when the owner of a radio stations recruits him to work on his shows and Gerald's life comes up roses.

Nice, but not typical Dr. Seuss, illustrations.
Tad
Oct 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
OK, so maybe it's only 4 stars, but when your just-about-to-turn-2-year-old starts walking around saying "boing boing" after you read her the book, it's definitely 5 stars!
Somehow, probably because I'm so young!, I'd never heard of this Dr. Seuss book. Apparently there is an Oscar-winning movie of the same name. We'll need to get that from Netflix, post haste!
April
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Dr. Seuss is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading!
Tiffany
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
My kids loved this book about a boy who communicates only through sound effect type noises. We watched the 7 minute short that the book was based on too:

And Gerald's parents are jerks. Just sayin'.
Vivek
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Picked this up for a story telling session for pre schoolers. I like the fact it has lot of scope of "sounds" in the story to keep the kids entertained and engaged.
M.K. Aneal
Sep 15, 2015 rated it liked it
"Boing Boing!!" Wait... What?
"Shriek... Clap Clap..."

Sorry had to get that out XP Cute book(:
Jamie Steckler
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Gerald McBoing-Boing, a boy who can only make sounds, is ostracized by his family and peers because he cannot speak real words. He struggles to find his place in the world until one day he was approached by a man who owns a radio station and is looking for someone to make the sound effects. He tells Gerald that he would be perfect for the job and soon enough, Gerald is successful and becomes rich. He has finally found a place where he belongs and even his parents start boasting about him.

The co
Shantala  (Shanaya Tales)
5 Loud BOINGS (a.k.a. 5/5 stars)

A cute story about a kid who cannot speak words, and is only able to make sounds instead. Also includes a great lesson on embracing ones uniqueness. Which btw is what I loved more than the story and the illustrations (which were really adorable too). Because I believe it's important that kids learn this as early in life as possible - that even though at times they might struggle to fit in with their peers, because of how different they are - every one is blessed w
Jordyn Hamby
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Summary:
Gerald is a very different little boy! Unlike most little boys he does not speak words, he makes funny noises!

Evaluation:
Gerald McBoing McBoing is one of my all time favorite books. This is also a great book for kids to read themselves.

Teaching Point:
This book is a great book to teach students about words like BAM, Boing Boing, HONK, and many others. You would teach the students that these words are called onamatopoeia.
PvOberstein
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Doctor Seuss book not illustrated by the Seuss himself. How curious.

Actually pretty neat. You could take it as a metaphor for struggling to communicate, or just 'being different', or just a good kid's tale. Also a bit of a novelty, I suppose, due to its slightly-unusual providence.
Lisa
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Cute Dr. Seuss story without the Dr. Seuss illustrations. Not one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books due to that. I'm not sure present-day kids will appreciate the fact that he became rich and famous due to his ability to make sound effects for the radio.
Melissa
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Inside everyone is something special that they can do really well. Sometimes we are shunned for that specialness, sometimes we are praised for it. Fun story with a really great lesson to talk with kids about being proud of exactly who they are.
Mandi
Mar 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
His parents & friends were awful to him until one day he became rich & famous and they loved him...really?? That’s horrible! I guess if I looked really hard, I might see how everyone has a purpose? I can’t believe they made it into a movie...
Stephanie Youssef
Reading my soon-to-be 2-year-old cousin one of his Christmas/birthday presents, and thought 'This is definitely one for Goodreads'. One of my favourite Dr. Seuss books, I've read it at least a hundred times (and never tire of it)!
Parents don't seem to want their kid until he becomes rich and famous.
Anthony
The story of a little lad who only spoke in verse onomatopoeically and how he became a success after everyone had given up on him.
Kathleen Meacham
Story was cute, but I was disappointed that this book was illustrated by someone else.

• The Pop-Up Mice of Mr. Brice
  • This Little Chick
  • Never, Ever Shout in a Zoo
  • Pass It On!
  • Two at the Zoo
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Merry Christmas?
  • Zoom, Rocket, Zoom!