Start by marking “A Season for Miracles” as Want to Read:
A Season for Miracles

A Season for Miracles (Dear Canada)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  215 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
A dozen stories from some of your favourite Dear Canada girls. These touching stories of Christmas offer a glimpse into each girl’s diary a year after the events of their original diary.
Published 2006 by Scholastic Canada

To ask other readers questions about A Season for Miracles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Season for Miracles

Liz
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love this series because these fabulous authors each use their own unique styles of writing to really breath life into the characters!The Dear Canada series also puts historic events in our nations History into a perspective that is easy for everyone to understand and actually enjoy learning about! I really enjoyed this collection of Christmas tales and how they took exerpts from all the best books. The one thing about this book is that it made me want to pull out the rest of my Dear Canada bo ...more
Molly
Jan 06, 2012 added it
This entire series is a wonderful way to learn history or teach it to adolescents. I find today's generations seem to recall more when they learn through other people (pop songs, celebrity gossip, etc.), so what better way to teach history than through someone else's perspective? Yes, "authentic" diaries would be "better", but would the language really hold the modern student's attention? Did the diary writer know what WOULD be important in the context of history? Probably not.
Shanelle
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any fan of the Dear Canada series.
"A Season for Miracles" is the perfect book for any fan of the Dear Canada series. I really enjoy reading this book, especially during Christmas time, as it allows me to once more experience my favourite characters stories. These are short stories (about 20 pages each) and each are a continuation of the stories previously in the series. They are set during the following Christmas from when their stories last left off.
Jenna Leigh
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is kind of a nice little book to read around Christmas. The stories aren't very in-depth, and unless you've got a super awesome memory you won't remember which book in the Dear Canada series each girl is from. It's still worthwhile to have it in your Dear Canada collection, just not very memorable.
Shanelle
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to read about Canadian history
A Season for Miracles is another book from the Dear Canada series, this time providing short stories about characters from previous Dear Canada books. It is a wonderful book to read, especially around Christmas time, and even more wonderful for Dear Canada readers who never wanted to say goodbye to their favourite characters.
Rebecca
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was the perfect book to read while travelling to and from work. Short, heartfelt stories about characters I have read about and some I am looking forward to reading. The Miracle theme was very well done and the lesssons were always clear.

A great inclusion to the Dear Canada series and a perfect read during the busy christmas period.
Meaghan Steeves
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection of stories that got me into the holiday spirit. The best thing I can say about them is that they are written so well that even if you haven't read the diaries that preceded them (there was one among the collection I have yet to read), that did not matter because you felt like you knew these girls and the other characters based on the author's descriptions.
Stacy
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really did enjoy this book, I love how they included 12 different stories from 12 different girls, to compare to "12 days of Christmas" it really is a great book to have during the christmas time! it makes you enjoy the Miracles Of Christimas! :)
Macklin
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Twleve lovely stories that are continuations or extensions of previous Dear Canada books. Each are centred around a Christmas miracle.
Natasha
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book every year around Christmas time (or I try to)!
Nicole
Apr 09, 2011 rated it liked it
It was fun to go back and read some short excerpts from the lives of girls I've already read about. It was a nice addition to the series as a whole.
Alexandra
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Loved to know what happened to the girls after the book was finished!
Highjump
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
delightful seasonal stories, fun way to get into Christmas spirit
Amanda
Dec 10, 2017
Leigh
Oct 07, 2011
Jessica
rated it did not like it
Jan 30, 2015
Ehko
Sep 10, 2015
Diane
Nov 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Turned Away: The World War II Diary of Devorah Bernstein (Dear Canada)
  • Exiles from the War: The War Guest Diary of Charlotte Mary Twiss, Guelph, Ontario, 1940 (Dear Canada)
  • Where the River Takes Me: The Hudson's Bay Company Diary of Jenna Sinclair (Dear Canada)
  • A Trail of Broken Dreams: The Gold Rush Diary of Harriet Palmer (Dear Canada)
  • Whispers of War: The War of 1812 Diary of Susanna Merritt (Dear Canada)
  • Prisoners in the Promised Land: The Ukrainian Internment Diary of Anya Soloniuk
  • A Desperate Road to Freedom: The Underground Railroad Diary of Julia May Jackson, Virginia to Canada West, 1863-1864 (Dear Canada)
  • The Death of My Country: The Plains of Abraham Diary of Geneviève Aubuchon (Dear Canada)
  • Banished from Our Home: The Acadian Diary of Angélique Richard (Dear Canada)
  • Winter of Peril: The Newfoundland Diary of Sophie Loveridge (Dear Canada)
  • A Rebel's Daughter: The 1837 Rebellion Diary of Arabella Stevenson (Dear Canada)
  • Not a Nickel to Spare: The Great Depression Diary of Sally Cohen (Dear Canada)
  • An Ocean Apart: The Gold Mountain Diary of Chin Mei-Ling (Dear Canada)
  • Hoping for Home: Stories of Arrival (Dear Canada)
Writer, columnist, and librarian Sarah Ellis has become one of the best-known authors for young adults in her native Canada with titles such as The Baby Project, Pick-Up Sticks, and Back of Beyond: Stories of the Supernatural. In addition to young adult novels, Ellis has also written for younger children and has authored several books about the craft of writing. Praised by Booklist contributor Haz ...more
More about Sarah Ellis...

Dear Canada (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • Orphan at My Door: The Home Child Diary of Victoria Cope (Dear Canada)
  • A Prairie as Wide as the Sea: The Immigrant Diary of Ivy Weatherall (Dear Canada)
  • With Nothing But Our Courage: The Loyalist Diary of Mary MacDonald (Dear Canada)
  • Footsteps in the Snow: The Red River Diary of Isobel Scott (Dear Canada)
  • A Ribbon of Shining Steel: The Railway Diary of Kate Cameron (Dear Canada)
  • Whispers of War: The War of 1812 Diary of Susanna Merritt (Dear Canada)
  • Alone in an Untamed Land: The Filles Du Roi Diary of Helene St. Onge (Dear Canada)
  • Brothers Far from Home: The World War I Diary of Eliza Bates (Dear Canada)
  • An Ocean Apart: The Gold Mountain Diary of Chin Mei-Ling (Dear Canada)
  • A Trail of Broken Dreams: The Gold Rush Diary of Harriet Palmer (Dear Canada)