Start by marking “All the Places to Love” as Want to Read:
All the Places to Love

All the Places to Love

A picture book celebration of love by the Newbery Medal–winning author, Patricia MacLachlan, with luminous paintings by Mike Wimmer.

Within the sanctuary of a loving family, baby Eli is born and, as he grows, learns to cherish the people and places around him, eventually passing on what he has discovered to his new baby sister, Sylvie: “All the places to love are here . .
Published April 22nd 1994 by HarperCollins (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about All the Places to Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Places to Love

Heidi-Marie
This book was great, but considering the author, I expected it to be. I wasn't prepared for the beautiful pictures. They are wonderful. And the story is sweet. I felt like I was there, where the world is relaxed and uplifting. Books like these make me wish I could raise my family in such a place full of love and happiness and memories. As much as I like the book, though, it is too slow for a story time.
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how many times mom read this to us, but I always get a warm feeling when I see it anywhere. It is a beautiful story, the pictures are stunning, and the rhythm of the story is so soothing.
Relyn
Oct 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Cynthia Rylant
Shelves: lawsonland
This book is amazing. It is tender and sweet and full of wide-eyed wonder at the world around us. However, it is not one of those children's books written for adults. My class loved it when I read it to them to kick off our geography unit.
Joy Gerbode
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love the way this book reminds us of the simple things at home. It refreshingly describes all the beauty of the world around us, right in our own back yard. It's a delightful story of discovering the places that we love most, and appreciating all that surrounds us. Wonderful story for children!
Adele
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
The painting illustrations are gorgeous and work well with MacLachlan's lyrical, poetic words in this gentle story.
Julia Blake
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful
Kathryn
Jul 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
I think I was expecting more from this book since Patricia MacLachlan's novellas are so beautiful. This is still a really sweet story about all the dear places the little boy gets to experience as he grows up on his farm--and the family that makes it special. The illustrations are great, too. I don't know, though, I keep forgetting that I read it so it didn't really "grab" me, if you know what I mean.
Ursula
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing

So precious, with wonderful illustrations. ENJOY!

Karen
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mom, ellie
Ellie was given this book on her 4th birthday. It is a beautiful book to read snuggled with a little one..krb 5/7/16
Bonnie
Feb 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite children's books. It is a great example of the love that is shared within a family than spans generations. The artwork in this book is also beautiful.
Suzanne Kunz Williams
A beautiful book about a family. Peaceful. Serene. Happy. Connected.

**Talking points - if you had your choice of where to live, where would it be: The city? The suburbs? Or the country? Why? What city (or town) and state would you like to live in? What types of things would be close to your house within walking distance or driving distance?
Sasha
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So sweet! Maybe I'm cheesy, but remember the begging of "The Emperor's New Groove"? Where Pancho and his wife are worried about losing their hilly home, because they've put memories into it and notches in the doorframe to mark their childrens' growth spurts? This book is like a countrified version of that sequence. So nostalgic and atmospheric.
Calleen Petersen
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My number one favorite children’s book. The paintings are stunning. The words are lyrical and tell such a beautiful story. All the places each member of the family loves. A story and a book to treasure.
Kent Kirker
**3.5**

An older children's book that was gifted to my brother and I when I was 4, and he was 2. Just happened to have found it recently, and figured I'd give it glance through with older eyes.
Kelley Mitchell
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For those of us who have a strong attachment to the places and people we come from, this book is so very sweet and relateable. It is the story of the little boy's first few years learning about this place that his grandparents and parents love so much, that he grows to love as well.
Rosie
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This lovely picture book is about a little boy's favorite places on his family's farm. The words are soothing and make you appreciate the small things in the world. The pictures were stunning. My baby niece loved looking at the pictures while I read to her.
Wendy
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I loved this book! It shows a love for family and the place where they were, where we were, when we were young and we were with them. Our heart strings are wound up in those places and memories if we are lucky.
Diane
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A young boy describes the favorite places that he shares with his family on his grandparents’ farm and the nearby countryside. No matter where you live, there will always be places to love — your own special places.

Drop dead gorgeous illustrations.
Alvera
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous illustrations, sweet story about the comfort and magic of family and of place.
Sarah Marie
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Absolutely beautiful.
Anthony
A look at life on the family farm through the eyes of a young boy, and all the simple pleasures that he shares and experiences with his family members.
Chelsea
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story, great gift for a soon-to-be older sibling, and it has homebirths! The artwork is gorgeous.
Michelle
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful.
Denise
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lovely picture book with lovely paintings.
Mary
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A sweet story with stunning illustrations
Brooke
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-kid, own
Beautiful paintings and story. Theme was a little deep for the kids to understand.
Patricia McLaughlin
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
With poetic grace, MacLachlan depicts a time gone by and so many “places to love” rapidly disappearing from the American landscape; Wimmer’s illustrations exude nostalgic charm.
Cindy Bellomy
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely. Soothing, like looking back on sweet memories. Beautiful illustrations.
Erin
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A family favorite. We named our daughter Sylvie because of this book.
Kelly S
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful storybook! The images are beautiful and the story line is equally beautiful! It's perfect for outdoor-loving folks and kind humans.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Saturdays and Teacakes
  • If the Shoe Fits
  • Sam and the Lucky Money
  • Amber on the Mountain
  • Aunt Flossie's Hats (and Crab Cakes Later)
  • The Seashore Book
  • The Giant Carrot
  • Twilight Comes Twice
  • The Penny Pot
Patricia MacLachlan was born on the prairie, and to this day carries a small bag of prairie dirt with her wherever she goes to remind her of what she knew first. She is the author of many well-loved novels and picture books, including Sarah, Plain and Tall, winner of the Newbery Medal; its sequels, Skylark and Caleb's Story; and Three Names, illustrated by Mike Wimmer. She lives in western Massach ...more
“Where else," I will say, "does an old turtle crossing the path Make all the difference in the world?” 5 likes