Start by marking “The Fool (Games We Play, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Fool (Games We Play, #0.5)

The Fool

(Games We Play 0.5)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  67 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
One night can change everything.

That's what they always say, and for now, vampire hunter Delia hopes it's true. After years of mediocre performances, she's nothing more than a grunt in her hunter league, stuck on surveillance duty and low-level vamp busts.

So, when her informant drops an amazing lead in her lap, she jumps at the opportunity to take down the region's rumore
Published December 28th 2015

To ask other readers questions about The Fool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fool

Claire Robinson
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shit-hot-series
4 - "You look bored." Stars!

I am a bit of a fan of Liz Meldon’s stories, mainly because they are so different from anything else I usually read. I love me some paranormal, and the stories that she writes tick all my required boxes for this genre.

The Fool is a quick sexy introduction to some of the characters that will potentially be featuring in the authors new Games We Play series.

"I don’t mind a little danger."

A Masked Ball at the exclusive Banesview Hotel, the opportunity to kill an elusive
Taylah 🥀
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sometimes you just have to read about sexy vampires to get you out of a reading slump 🤷🏼♀ ...more
Crina (Reading Addict)
I received this for review but that doesn't change my opinion in any way!

This wasn't the best novella I've read but not the worst, and I think that my main problem was the writing style and the fact that I couldn't click with it.

It's a very very short read and I think you should give it a change if you want to see how it is, if you like the style, the characters, so you know if you buy and read the next book or not. For me, as I said, it wasn't amazing, it had some good parts here and there, bu
Mg ♥ The Bookishmedialite
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
AMAZON: http://a.co/jcbX0TB

description

And what a fool I was... Liz Meldon totally fooled me with this one.

After years of mediocre performances, Delia Roberts decides to jump on a hot tip regarding a big fish. A high level vamp who will give her the chance to boost her career as a vampire huntress. All she has to do is stab the fucker and get out of there. Easier said than done, right?.

One chance to change her life. Don't fuck it up, Delia. But well, shit happens and she got distracted. A distraction in the
Lakshmi C
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Fool is a prologue to the upcoming novel, The King. Delia is a vampire hunter who wants to prove herself and earn the respect of her peers. This is the first time any author has considered the professional challenges of being a vampire hunter and belonging to an organization, like the League which added something new to the story. The description is minimal, subtle and pulls you deeper into the story. The pacing is great, I completed the book in a single setting. The writer is seriously gift ...more
Liz's Book Bucket List
I stumbled upon this book by pure chance and I am very happy I did! First off, I am new to the adult paranormal romance genre so this was defiantly something new to me, so I can’t really comment on how original it was, but it was very enjoyable. I loved that this reminded me of a darker, most adult Buffy (which is one of my favorite shows!). I am very interested in seeing how this series plays out and will be picking up The King immediately!

This is my first book by Liz Meldon and I found the wri
Crystal
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Fool laughed and gave her waist a little squeeze. “Ah, but we’re all liars in our own way.”

As soon as I saw vampires and masquerade in the description, I knew that I had to read this book. I absolutely loved, loved, loved this book! Liz Meldon does a fantastic job describing the setting for us. I had the perfect picture in my mind of the elaborate garden party/masquerade ball. I love the writing style. With this being a novella/prologue (the first book, The King coming out later this y

Paperback Princess
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quick little prologue about a vampire hunter that's trying to prove her worth by trying to find a top vampire instead she meets a sexy mysterious man and ends up having sex with him...she's gets bitten by him and finds out he's the one she's supposed to looking for ..lol whooops!! I really liked this..I need to read more paranormal romance. Super excited to read The King next and see where things lead for Delia and Claude.
Kira Simion
Oh wow.

Seduction can be a dangerous game. A cat and a mouse. The cat believes it to be the cat, but is it the mouse?

I loved the dance that brought the two main characters together! So subtle, so yearning, so exquisite!

I truly enjoyed their little dance around each other!

I don't want to say too much (hopefully I haven't already), but this was a fascinating read I didn't think I'd like. (That's why I put off reading it for so long).

I fell for The Fool!

The characters were developed and I could
Carmen
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, paranormal
I received this book from the author through LoP in exchange for an honest review.

Delia is a hunter who craves the greatness that has successfully evaded her during her short career. Tired of picking up low-level goons, she decides to jump on a hot tip regarding an evasive high level vamp that is destined to finally boost her career. Armed with an ill-thought out plan, she enters the vampire masquerade and finds who she is looking for in a way that she never expected.

If you’re looking for a vamp
Liz Meldon
Nov 23, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: paranormal, romance
As always, I don't leave ratings for my own books, but I do like leaving a little tidbit in the comment section about my time spent writing it.

The Fool, in many ways, is my big departure from writing fanfiction. Even with my ongoing paranormal romance serial, Lovers and Liars, my characters are still, for the most part, public domain folks that I've taken creative liberties with. Here, Delia and the Fool are my own little babies, and I'm really excited to share them with everyone. I was really k
Melanie (mells_view)
 photo 0E617081-DFC8-43E7-A3D2-5D28470E3FDB_zpsvoanrtwn.jpg

Pretty good, pretty good :)

Pretty darn good. Paranormal romance isn't usually my thing, but this was very good. A different spin on the usual vampire tropes I've read before.

A hunter named, Delia, goes off on her own to a masquerade party looking for one of the upper level vampires, but instead ends up finding the Fool. Let's just say that she gets much more than she bargains for with him.

The naughty bits in this story were pretty hot. The couple felt like they were actually intimate and not ju
Nadene  (Totally Addicted to Reading)

Sarina Langer
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Don't you just love writing a review when you forgot to take notes? *ahem*

The Fool is a prequel novella so I sped through it. It's easily doable in one sitting if you've got an hour or two spare, and it's every bit as sexy and intriguing as I've come to expect from Meldon.

Personally I found it slower to start with than her first novella in the Lovers and Liars series but I still enjoyed it. In fact, I've already got The King waiting on my kindle, so I'm looking forward to getting around to that
Nadene  (Totally Addicted to Reading)
“The Fool” is the prequel to the “The Games We Play” series. It sets the tone for what readers can expect from the series. It whetted my appetite and made me eager to discover what the series had to offer.“The Fool” introduces us to Delia, a low-level vampire hunter who has been trying to garner the respect of the vampire hunting league. However, no matter what she did they refused to acknowledge her efforts. Therefore, when an opportunity arose for her to prove that she was good at her job she ...more
Richelle Robinson
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
* I received this arc in exchange for an honest review* Absolutely loved this novella and I can't wait for the next full length book. The author had me hooked and I didn't see that twist at all!! Not to many authors can pull off paranormal books but this author nailed it!! Looks like I have another favorite series to add to my collection.
Natalie
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
You can read this novella for free by going to Liz Meldon's website https://lizmeldonwrites.com/books/the... then clicking on the "Instafreebie" link. This will send you an email with the story in the format of your desired choice (PDF, Mobi, EPUB).

I think this novella shouldn't have been separate from the book "The King" and the reason I say that is because I couldn't understand the draw the characters Delia and Claude have to one another without reading this before the novel. The world buildin
Kreela
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this preview. It is a full story in itself, and left me shopping on iBooks for her next installment.

The story is graphic; my cheeks were burning with embarrassment as I read alongside my husband on the couch, but it is crucial to the plot. Delia is a low-grade vampire hunter who gets a tip about a special masquerade party. While at the party, she meets the Fool, decides a one-night stand is perfectly okay, and sets off a chain of consequences.

Delia is a strong personality but not aggra
Mary Ellen
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars. A great start to a series or prologue to book one. Even though I have been a little tired of vamps, I am a sucker for a masquerade. Let's just say Liz did it again... I love all her work. And she wrote about vampires the way I perceive them: sexy, dangerous and mysterious. Now I am craving the next book!
Bobbie
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing and surprising prequel. Characters with hidden secrets and exotic tastes.
Lenna  Wright-Berry
It was good towards the end, the beginning first few chapters were a bit slow and I was trying to get into it but couldn't until Delilah showed up to the party.
Aisazia
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
We start off learning about Delia, her profession and where she stands on that job hierarchy. I enjoyed the social design of this world with how the present day humans deal with vampires. Although, I did feel there was a few info dumps here and there in the story to explain all this information but it was done in a way that wasn't really bothersome to me but may be for others. However, other than increasing the word count, I couldn't think of a better way to explain it without being more cumbers ...more
Jennie
I received a free ebook version of the book from the author, in exchange for an honest review.

I've given this a 3 star rating, even though it's more of a 3.5, only because I wanted more of it!

This novella is the prologue for the upcoming novel The King, which is the first in the Games We Play series due out later this year. It focuses on Delia, a young hunter who is trying to live up to her family name and reputation and become a respected vampire hunter. She is frustrated that she isn't being
Cecily Kyle
Dec 31, 2015 rated it liked it
I was approved to read this Novella from Novel Readers by the author.

I will admit that when I requested the title, I was completely judging the book by its cover and I didn't read the synopsis before I started. I believe this has a lot to do with my lower rating.

The main character Delia is a hunter of Vampires and is hunting a top tier vampire known as Claudia at a Masquerade Ball that it is rumoured said vampire is supposed to be attending.
If I knew that the story was going to be set up like
Amie's Book Reviews
Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

~ I received a free ARC copy of this novella in exchange for an honest review.

Want a novella that earns its place in the Steamy Paranormal Fiction category? Look no further, THE FOOL will satisfy your desires. (No Pun Intended)

*** THIS BOOK CONTAINS SCENES WHICH ARE NOT SUITABLE FOR READERS UNDER THE AGE OF 18.***

Delia is a low level vamp hunter. She works for the League, but since she has barely 15 kills under her belt, she isn't taken very seriously.

When she rec
Charlotte
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
( Source: I received this book directly from the Author Liz Meldon, Via LOP On Goodreads, In exchange for my opinion and honest Review. )

The Fool laughed and gave her waist a little squeeze.
" Ah, but we're all liars in our own way."

Delia an unappreciated and commonly looked over Vampire Huntress; Whom is desperate to prove herself amongst the League.
After receiving an attractive lead from her informant, she jumps at the opportunity to take down the regions lead vampire, who supposedly is to at
Danielle
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for classic vampire tale then look else where. Liz Meldon hits another one out of the park, for me, with The Fool. In it we meet Delia, a vampire huntress out to prove her worth. Delia is stubborn, foolhardy (ha!), and just wants to be respected by her peers. But striking out on her own brings about a catch much different than what she was expecting!
The thing I love about Ms. Meldon's writing is the fact that she was able to make Delia relatable. Here's this young woman who w
Corrine Pickering
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
 photo 12516825_10208063953377144_1111376284_o.jpg

The Fool (Games We Play 1) Liz Meldon

### 4 Stars ###

This is a great short, hot and erotic paranormal read.

Delia is a vampire hunter, she is slightly below average and really wants to prove herself. She hears about a masquerade ball that the main Vampire Claudia maybe attending and Delia decides this could be her chance, will she find Claudia in this dangerous pursuit?

I did find this book hard to initially get into, Liz Meldon has a really different style of writing. I am glad I persevered and
Kathy Wideman
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It is a little different than other hunters and vampire books. Della is a vampire hunter and stuck at her current place and the corporate hunter ladder. No one really takes her seriously. She only watches and reports. When she does get to bring in a vamp its with a team not by herself. One night she decides she is going to do something to change that. Well the jokes on her. That night changes everything. Della realizes she doesn't know as much about vamp hunting as she ...more
Ashley Carlson
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic paranormal romance from Liz Meldon.

THE FOOL starts off with Delia, a vampire hunter without much clout, but through a useful tip from her informant, begins pursuing an important vampire leader. Unfortunately, a really sexy guy keeps getting in the way (don't we all wish we had that problem?).
I love Meldon's characters--quirk, sass, realistic dialogue, and some hot erotic scenes. She has a true gift of explaining *just* the right amount, leaving *just* the right amount of inform
« previous 1 3 next »
Liz is a Canadian author who grew up in the Middle East. She has a degree in Bioarchaeology from Western University, and when she isn't writing about her own snarky characters, she is reading about other people’s snarky characters, babying her herb garden, loitering on social media, or taking care of her furbabies.

Liz dabbles in both paranormal and contemporary erotic romance. Her paranormals are

Games We Play (2 books)
  • The King (Games We Play, #1)