Start by marking “Send Me Down a Miracle” as Want to Read:
Send Me Down a Miracle

Send Me Down a Miracle

A sleepy, God-fearing community in Alabama erupts in chaos when a flamboyant artist from New York City returns to her hometown for an artistic experiment. “A fresh voice and an enigmatic subject combine to make kids engage in an activity they probably don’t do much-contemplate.”-Booklist
Published May 1st 1996 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published April 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Send Me Down a Miracle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Send Me Down a Miracle

Start your review of Send Me Down a Miracle
Nia
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that the girl in this story is very smart and she is very happy and intelligent to her family.
Stephanie Hutabarat
This is really funny book! And not a thriller book. It's about a young 'artist' who came to small town and declare that she saw Jesus after fasting 1 month for inspiration. Really funny. 3 stars for this!
Lisa Lawrence
Not too bad. Just not special.
Selena_v
Truth be told, I was actually hesitant to read this book. These types of books often makes me feel guilty for the things I’ve never done for God. But what actually got me reading this book is the last sentence to the summary, “…and Charity is stuck in the middle, questioning her father, her religion…”
A Christian book that talks about questioning their religion, ok.
This will be definitly something new.

The book starts off with the main character, Charity, meeting Adrienne. Adrienne is a artist a
Andersreads
Where is the 3 1/3 stars option? I liked the beginning, the topic, and the ending, but the book dragged in the middle. Think of Flannery O'Connor for a middle-schooler. The book is set in the deep south, and the main character lives in a small town where her father is the preacher, her mom has gone away to a birdcage collectors convention, and a former resident, Adrienne, returns to town. Charity looks up to Adrienne, an artist. When Adrienne has a vision, Charity is in the middle of a town divi ...more
Dan
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Well written book. The story, characters, and setting really drew me in. I felt like I really understood what this young southerner's perspective was. The daughter of a stern, stubborn, but caring, preacher. Charity desires to be some one important in the world, but what does that mean? Leaving home? Changing who you are? That's what Charity hopes to find out. Will the answers come from God, Jesus, her father, or the New York artist who is spending the summer? Charity aims to seek her destiny, a ...more
Damar hening Sunyiaji
Ide ceritanya keren, tokoh tokohnya punya konflik yang unik seperti sharale, charita dan joe si gila yang entah anaknya menderita penyakit apa.
Kursi Tuhan yang dianggap kudus oleh warga alabama itu gak ada artinya bagi adriene.
Gak ada tokoh jahat, masing masing punya kepentingan dan nasib yang bikin greget.
Mungkin persoalan berat badan sharale bukan masalah besar, tapi tentu saja kadar masalah bagi tiap orang berbeda dan anggapan pun berbeda.
Endingnya mengagetkan, karena orang orang di alabama y
Erica
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Picked it up by happenstance at a used book store. Raises wonderful issues about faith -- the faith in which we are raised and the faith which we grow into. Interesting issues about power, as well. And there are moments of sheer laughter. "It was me! It's because of the okra!" A literal interpretation of the bible can be terrifying for a child... for adults, too.
Laura (Booksforbreakfast)
Very good read - Very much infused with religion so I don't recommend it if you don't believe in God. It's about a girl named Charity who is the preacher's daughter and has always been a goody goody until Adrienne moves into town. She's very different and artistic, doesn't care what people think and Charity is drawn to her. Then Adrienne claims to have seen God in a chair in her home and it turns their town completely upside down.
Debbie
Adrienne Dabney turns a small town upside down when she locks herself up in her house for several weeks without food or light. She emerges three weeks later, claiming to have seen a vision of Jesus.

Charity Pittman, a preacher's daughter, believes in the miracle, even though her father denounces Adrienne and her miracle. Charity learns much about life and herself as she observes the difference between saying you have faith and living like you do.

Though-provoking.
Catherine
Han Nolan portrays her characters so well. I found it interesting that the main character was named Charity. This book reminded me of the witch trials with people caught in religious fervor.

I liked the changes in the characters, but I struggled to connect with any of them. I felt like an observer instead of being emotionally vested.
Linda
May 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a young adult novel, but is a wonderful quick read. As an artist myself I loved the off-beat artist character Nolan includes...again, the story is told from a young girl's perspective... trying to wrestle with faith, family, and loyalty. I read 2 other Nolan books after this, both were good, but I liked this one the best.
Shella
Aug 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think there is something sentimental about this book.. I don't know why, I feel closed to the character eventhough our story is really not related. a little sad..
a story about little girl in little village whose mother just runaway and left her family.
the book doesnt take my breath away, but cannot be kept out of my mind either
Linda Shroyer
Nov 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another novel from a young girl's perspective.....yes, it is a YA novel, so a quick read, but I loved the kooky New York artist who experiments with living in a sensory deprivation exercise. This fascinates our heroine, but is at odds with her preacher father.
Sigrid Ellis
This book -- all the characters in it are very well-written, not caricatures. The plot doesn't take every neat turn one might expect. I liked it, I enjoyed reading it, and I finished it in a couple hours. A good, serious YA book.
Jeanna
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okra!
Janthi
May 27, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
lumayan lah!
Uci
Nov 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Han Nolan selalu bisa membuat pembacanya tertawa walaupun kisah yang diceritakan sebenarnya sangat tragis. Jadi tambah cinta sama pengarang yang satu ini...
Samantha
I think this was not one of Nolan's best novels. It went on for way to long and certain areas and other areas she just touched. Usually I'm a huge fan.
Jessica
Jul 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Not quite has good as If I Die Before I Wake, but still a good book for readers of every age. Many good lessons to be learned in this one.
Noah Mitchell
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty cool book in an old country kind of way. I love how this story has many things happening because of one object. Kind of makes you wonder what will happen next and keeps you on the edge.
Shantay
OOOOOOOOO! From the description, this book sounds very rebellious.
Audrey Camp
May 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audreycamp-com
Send Me Down a Miracle *** Thou shalt make no graven image. A Southern yarn, a modern parable. #YA #bookreview

@RedDoorReviews
Darryl
Mar 22, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this book is really bad i do not recommend this book to anyone. it is a total waste of time like forreal.
Cathy
Jan 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emotions, convictions and hope can lead people to incredible conclusions. This book confirmed for me that I was created to be a mom of males...not drama-queen girls!
Brooke
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At age 10, stunning. I need to read this one again.
Spider the Doof Warrior
I do like how two main characters learned how to love and care for other people because of Charity, but would folks REALLY worship the result of someone's hallucination?

I reckon they do that.
Fire Starter
Feb 12, 2016
Cecily Kyle
Jun 21, 2013
Christen Collins
Aug 15, 2013

• Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (The Junior Novelization)
  • Tata Mc Graw Hill's Course In Mathematics For Iit Jee, W/ Screening Test
  • Glencoe Understanding Psychology
  • National Geographic Picture Atlas of Our Universe
  • Done.: What most religions don't tell you about the Bible
  • Algebra 1
  • McGraw-Hill's Math Grade 8
  • Secrets (Undercover Girl, #1)
  • Big Mouth and Ugly Girl
  • A Certain Slant of Light (Light, #1)
  • Pretties (Uglies, #2)
  • Study Package for NTSE Class X
  • Exploring Our World: People, Places, and Cultures
  • The Dinner List
  • Bridge of Clay
  • Griffin's Castle
  • The Sixth Grade Nickname Game
  • Hostage
Han Nolan is widely acclaimed for her evocative language, her gritty subject matter, and her ability to plumb the psyche of her characters. Her books include Dancing on the Edge, which won the National Book Award, Send Me own a Miracle, a finalist for the National Book Award, Born Blue, A Summer of Kings, and several other acclaimed novels. She and her husband live on the East Coast.

News & Interviews