Start by marking “It Ends with Us” as Want to Read:
It Ends with Us

Read Book* *Different edition

It Ends with Us

4.40  ·  Rating details ·  163,621 ratings  ·  22,942 reviews
Sometimes it is the one who loves you who hurts you the most.

Lily hasn’t always had it easy, but that’s never stopped her from working hard for the life she wants. She’s come a long way from the small town in Maine where she grew up
— she graduated from college, moved to Boston, and started her own business. So when she feels a spark with a gorgeous neuro
Published August 2nd 2016 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about It Ends with Us, please sign up.

·  163,621 ratings  ·  22,942 reviews

Aestas Book Blog
::: SPOILER-FREE REVIEW :::

Fifteen seconds. That’s all it takes to completely change everything about a person. Fifteen seconds that we’ll never get back.

HOLY WOW! It Ends With Us is one of the most powerful books of 2016 and one of the most raw, honest, inspiring, and profoundly beautiful stories I've ever read. It wasn’t anything like what I expected, but it delivered so much more than I ever hoped for. This is the kind of book that I want to give to every woman and just be like… READ THIS BOOK. NOW. C
Christy
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 + brave and bold stars!!!

photo A4805447-C439-4036-88A6-0D169567BB66_zps8cqal3cy.jpg

Want the naked truth about It Ends with Us? Reading this book will change your life. It’s so different from any of Colleen Hoover’s other books. You can tell it’s heavier, more personal, just more. This book is deep. It’s profound. It’s a book that needs to be read. I'll repeat: THIS IS A BOOK THAT NEEDS TO BE READ!

Th
Emily May
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it

4 1/2 stars. Holy crap, what a book. This is unlike anything Hoover has written before. I have so many emotions right now that it's hard to know where to start, but I think everyone should read this book. That's right: everyone.

I could easily give everything away. I could, but I won't. If you go looking for lots of reviews, it won't be hard to work out what It Ends with Us is about. And if
Colleen Hoover
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This book was really heavy. If you tear out most of the pages, it's not as heavy. But when you do that, the book just doesn't make any sense.

Angela
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It Ends With Us... Wow I really don't know what to truly say about this novel. This review will be a little light because, like most CoHo books, you'll want to go into it with little to no information. I went into this book thinking it was going to be this one thing, and it turned out to be the complete opposite.

IEWU follows Lily, a girl in her early twenties, who has never had it easy. Though coming from a family that was better off she has always had to work for the things she's wanted. After grad
K.L. Grayson
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dear Colleen,

I find it fitting that I write this review as a letter to you the way Lily would write to Ellen. Don't ask me why, I really don't know. What I do know is that I haven't been on Goodreads in nearly six months and it's entirely your fault that i'm here now. So, if i stumble upon a poor review on one of my books and end up in the fetal position on my kitchen floor surrounded by Ding Dong wrappers, well, I'm blaming it on you. I've even given my husband instructions to bill
Candace
Phenomenal!

This book will make you fall in love, rip your heart out and force you to reconsider your preconceived ideas about abuse. This is the most moving book that I've read in a LONG time. It was absolutely addicting, but so difficult at times. I don't cry very often, but this one had me crying big, fat tears.

It's been a couple of days since I finished 'It Ends With Us' and I'm still thinking about Lily's story. It's one that'll hang with you. In so many ways, her story gutted me. Yet, it
Chelsea Humphrey
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, library
If you need me I'll be sweeping up all the pieces of my shattered heart. Dear God! It's amazing how you can read a story that is simultaneously gut wrenching and beautiful. I'll be honest, I managed to make it through this ENTIRE book without shedding a single tear... until I hit CoHo's note/acknowledgements at the end and ugly cried. The fact that this story had so much basis on real life events that meant so much to her shined through in her writing.

Clearly you can guess the ending of the sto
Lola
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
*Spoilers*

I did not see that coming.

Which I think is the whole point.

Ever since I was fifteen, I promised myself I would never get into a relationship with someone before I knew what they looked like angry. Are they the type to grow exasperated and leave the room, shout their lungs out or… aggressively hit their loved ones?

I’m very happy with the way Colleen Hoover dealt with the subject of abuse. It’s very well explored and the connection between Lily and he
Katerina
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Katerina by: Τατιάνα Τζινιώλη
I honestly don't know how I feel.

There are times I am angry and times I am sad. And then I'm both. And it's the worst, because there is a war raging inside me, and the winner side keeps changing. How is it possible to switch from denial to sorrow to fury to acceptance in a heartbeat?

I did my best not to cry. I felt sick, but I clenched my jaw and forced myself to keep reading, trying in vain to ignore t/>
Elise (TheBookishActress)
You guys are always telling me this author writes vaguely shitty romance novels and is unbelievably overhyped... and yet this masterpiece exists? I call bullshit because this was masterful.

If you have read this book and also follow my reviews, you know the topic of abuse is one I sort of talk about a lot. this book got it right. this book got it so, so right. So let’s talk about why.

→ character work ←
I knew I would love Lily from the moment she stood up at her abusive father’s funeral
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“What a great time to have a dissenting opinion about a book written by an author with a particularly rabid fanbase!” said no one ever. In case we haven’t met and you’re seeing this review due to the new IN YO’ FACE! Goodreads format which shares reviews/updates to your feed errrrrrrrry single time one of your friends likes or comments on them, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Kelly . . . .

commercial photography locations

Also, I spoil things, so back away quickly if you don’t want this one to be rui
Hulya Kara Yuksel
OMG 😍😍😍 Pls read Colleen's latest post... 😊

--------------------

GOODREADS - 2016 BEST ROMANCE WINNER!!! :)

--------------------

This book is a masterpiece…

“Life is a funny thing. We only get so many years to live it, so we have to do everything we can to make sure those years are as full as they can be. We shouldn't waste time on things that might happen someday, or maybe even never.”

I won’t summarize this book to you because this is a Colleen Hoover book. She dhttps://www.goodreads.com/choiceaward...
rel="nofollow">https://www.instagram.com/p/Bza_RYegc...
Noel Luis
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: above-average
SPOILER FREE REVIEW

As a member of the human species with a Y chromosome, I admit that the allure of the romance novel eludes me, even though I'm a particularly hopeless romantic myself. The thought of reading about a prolonged courtship isn't something to get all excited about. After all, how many people out there are actually interested in hearing about my own misadventures in the dating arena?

worst-datingSPOILER FREE REVIEW

worst-dating

On second thought, don't answer that.

So when I started diving into It Ends with Us: A Novel by Colleen Hoover, I expected pages of the same old trite that have filled thousands of romance novels ever since the first caveman dragged the first cavechick by the hair back into his stone-age pad. Wouldn't you know it? I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. Let's take a brief rundown of the requisite elements and see if this novel has them:

Girl Meets Boy - CHECK
Boy Makes A Move - CHECK
Girl Pretends Not To Like It - CHECK
Boy Says Something Clever and Sexy - CHECK
Boy and Girl Have Wild, Raunchy Sex - CHECK

Okay, the last one actually doesn't happen for a good while owing to the tried-and-tested phone-call-interruption-just-when-we're-about-to-do-it cliche, but it's still there.

Here's a description of when the two lovebirds first meet:
I feel his voice in my stomach. That's not good. Voices should stop at the ears, but sometimes - not very often at all, actually - a voice will penetrate past my ears and reverberate straight down through my body. He has one of those voices. Deep, confident, and a little bit like butter.

butter-for-me

Here's another one:
This guy is beautiful. Well-manicured, smells like money, looks to be several years older than me. His eyes crinkle in the corners as they follow me, and his lips seem to frown, even when they aren't.

wink

Now, why would I give four stars to a book that overuses so many tropes?

Because Colleen Hoover knows her audience so well it's almost criminal. Her writing is clean and lucid. The protagonist is fleshed-out. The story tugs at the heart. Everything else can be forgiven.

And by the end of the first half of the book, it becomes painfully obvious that this novel is not about romance. It's about heartache.

broken-heart

Our protagonist is a 23-year old wannabe florist named Lily Blossom Bloom (yes) who meets brooding neurosurgeon Ryle Kincaid (again, yes). Lily's father has recently passed, and she's trying to come to terms with her less-than-stellar relationship with dear ol' dad. Flashbacks are interspersed throughout the book via Lily's high school diary, and we quickly find out that her first love was a homeless guy named Atlas Corrigan (for the last time, yes) who lived in an abandoned shack near her childhood home. To say that dad and Atlas did not get along is an understatement.

the-rock

Lily is a smart and driven woman, and it shows through her personality. She balances the pleasures of love with the pleasures of work. A couple chapters in, she decides to pursue her dream and open a flower shop:
"Sweet, life, pink, spring." I repeat. And then, "Allysa, you're brilliant!" I stand up and begin pacing the floor. "We'll take everything everyone loves about flowers, and we'll do the complete opposite!"

Nice one, Lily.

genius

But of course, this wouldn't be a good novel if all we ever read about is how good Lily is getting it at the office and in the bedroom. Midway through, disaster strikes.

I won't say what kind of disaster, but there's quite a few of it, both in present time and in the flashbacks. And then there's love. And then there's disaster. And then there's love. And then there's disaster. And then there's love.

This book may overuse so many things we've come to expect of romantic comedies, but when I figured out the real message Colleen wanted to impart, I swept all the small things under the rug. This novel is a heartfelt plea for the readers to empathize with men and women who are caught up in relationships that are causing them turmoil and pain. It's a call to have an open mind when confronted with a similar relationship in the real world, both for the man, the woman, and their families. Finally, it leaves us with a beautiful if not sad moral lesson that the right thing to do may sometimes also be the hardest thing to do.
People say that teenagers don't know how to love like an adult. Part of me believes that, but I'm not an adult so I have nothing to compare it to. But I do believe it's probably different. I'm sure there's more substance in the love between two adults than there is between two teenagers. There's probably more maturity, more respect, more responsibility. But no matter how different the substance of a love might be at different ages in a person's life, I know that love still has to weigh the same. You feel that weight on your shoulders and in your stomach and on your heart no matter how old you are.

The book is peppered with phrases like the one above, and the more I read, the more I got the feeling that the words were coming from the author's mouth and not the protagonist's.

At the beginning and end of the novel, there is a personal message left by the author, and the motivation for this book suddenly becomes clear. They say writing is a private and cathartic process, and for Colleen, this certainly was extremely private and cathartic. It must have taken a lot of effort to write. It's only fair that it took a lot of joy to read.
alexandra ling
May 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
2.5/5 ♡ this book sends a really important and worthwhile message, but it's not necessarily enjoyable.

IT ENDS WITH US was not what i expected it to be. i started the novel knowing next to nothing about the storyline except that it's a colleen hoover book (NA romance) and that it's good (my friends kept raving). but if i'm being honest, i was a little disappointed. i was hoping for a light read with lots of ~FEELZ~ but instead i got something much more intense – not bad, just unexpected.<
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤

I. Am. DONE.

photo Squid_on_Strike_zpspbikc4ic.jpg

I do NOT like books that manipulate me. I do NOT like authors who think it teaches life lessons by making everything literally the WORST scenario possible. I do NOT like books that I endorse, tell 100 people to read (when I'm at 47%) because it was so amazing-wonderful-addicting-beautiful, and then have to eat crow because a million dreadful things have to
Andreea Pop

I am a mess. Torn. So, so goddamn conflicted. Broken over the what-ifs of this book. Filled with sorrow. Proud.

I feel manipulated. Tricked. Heartbroken. Educated. Thankful. Mindfucked.

It Ends With Us is nothing like I’ve ever read. It certainly isn’t like any other novel Colleen Hoover has written. The word ‘DIFFERENT’ is just etched into its very essence. I feel like Colleen put part of her story and her soul
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)

Find me on Instagram & Twitter!

❝I wish cutting my feelings off for the person who hurt me was as easy as I used to think it would be. Preventing your heart from forgiving someone you love is actually a hell of a lot harder than simply forgiving them.❞

It Ends With Us was beautifully complicated. It was hot and cold. Up and down. Good and bad. Beautiful and ugly... I'm still trying to figure out how I really feel about it all because I'm genuinely torn on how I want to perceive this storyline. I loved it but inTwitter!
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
”Oh, I want you, Lily. Make no mistake about that. I just don’t want to want you.”

I thought really long and hard about how I’m going to review this book and what it always comes down to, is that I actually don’t want to review it.

This is one of the rare books you just have to read yourself. You have to experience it and feel it and no matter what I’d write in my review, it would never even get close to all the emotions that hit me while I read “It Ends With Us”. This book makes you happy and sad, it co
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dnf
"Everything Shatters.
My tears, my heart, my laughter, my soul.
Shattered like broken glass, raining down around me."

At least now the title makes sense!

Boy, do i have a few thing to say about this It Ends With Us! When i decided to give this a second chance this is not what i had on mind. It wasn't supposed to happen, damn it.

First of all, this Goodreads synopsis is misleading. It needs to be replaced. Whoever came up with it deserves getting fired.

What is the matter with GR users?! First,
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I don't know what happened with this review. It wasn't whole, the likes gone, and the conversations about the book was gone. The audio re-read was great!!

Used my bookmark! ♥

This book chewed me up and spit me back out. I said I wasn't going to cry, I cried a little.

NO SPOILERS

This book is very deep. It to
Linda Kage
Dear Ellen DeGeneres,

I should probably start out with an apology. I don't think I've seen a single one of your talk show episodes all the way through. I catch five or six-minute clips here and there posted every so often on Facebook, and I have loved every single one of them, so I don't know why I haven't watched more. You're totally awesome.

And another confession: I haven't seen Finding Dory yet, either, even though I loved Finding Nemo. So, yeah, I'm sorry about that too.
Melissa

There are so many things I want to say.
So many feelings I'm dying to share.
And way too many thoughts clouding my mind.

This is definitely a book that needs to be discussed thoroughly, but not in a review. Not at the chance of ruining the experience for someone else. This is one that you’ll want to share with your friends, your sister and maybe even your mother. At least, that’s how I felt. Whether or not you ever find yourself in this situation, chances are, you mi
Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️
*****5 STARS*****

This is not my real review, please read the unfiltered review here... https://prettymessreading.wordpress.c...

So here the thing...
I am struggling writing this review because it hits so close to home. Because of that fact this isn’t going to be written like my normal reviews, it will be about me and Lily. It will be a correlation of our lives.

As I read this book the little broken girl inside me started coming out. I wanted to put her back. I didn’t want her resurface. I needed her to go back to her hiding place where the adult Danielle wouldn’t find h
Elyse Walters
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook:

Agree.. agree... agree... with all 3,743 - 5 star ratings!!!!!!!

I didn't think it would happen...but there came a point when tears were welling in my eyes.
I was absolutely exhausted from this mornings hike. I took a little deep sleep afternoon nap - When I opened my eyes, I found Paul resting beside me.
I said..."do you mind.......LISTENING TO THIS AUDIOBOOK"? I was still too sleepy-tired to put my eyes to work reading from my kindle or a physical book. Plus ....I knew I
Angie - Angie's Dreamy Reads
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
SPEECHLESS.

This book left me completely speechless. It's why this review will be far from eloquent and admittedly a little short. I've been staring at the cursor as it blinks in silence on my computer screen, trying to come up with a review for this unbelievably complex, astonishingly real, and heart wrenching novel. I can't decide what I want to tell you and I think that's because I really don't want to tell anything at all.

I went into It Ends with Us with a clear head and absolutely no idea on wh
Kai
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
“As hard as this choice is, we break the pattern before the pattern breaks us.”

This is my first Colleen Hoover novel. So far I've stayed away from her books for several reasons. You might even call it prejudice, but my judgement didn't fail me. Here's why:
First of all Colleen's ratings are mile high and I'm usually a little doubtful when it comes to that. I just have this feeling that this novel/author is very likely overrated.
Second of all the plot synopsis of every single one
Deanna
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

Wow!

I am a bit late to the party for this one. I'm not sure what I can say that hasn't been said already.

This was my first CoHo book and it looks like I picked a good one to start with. It's surprising but even though the book had already been out for a while, other than hearing that it was very emotional, I didn't actually know what it was about. I am happy I was able to listen to it without knowing very much. It didn't take very long to see
Jennifer Kyle
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cry-baby-books
4.5 STARS

[image error]

Colleen Hoover delivers a story that is not only thought provoking but will indeed get those emotions running amuck. Lily Bloom’s story is told well with wit, heart, and a fantastic cast of characters. Fans of this author will not be disappointed in the presentation and heart that she has placed in this book.

‘Imagine all the people you meet in your life. There are so many. They come in like waves, trickling in and out with the tide. Some waves are much bigger and make more of an impact than others. Sbook.
STARS

Emotional.

Incredibly insightful.

Empowering.

Eye-opening.

Not to mention completely original.

It Ends With US is filled with such raw truths I had to stop a few times and just think about a line or passage I just read. It is filled with SO many heartbreaking moments I didn’t think my heart could endure it all.

I read this book a few weeks back, and it has stayed with me since. As cliché as it soclass="gr-hostedUserImg">

• Running Barefoot
  • Get Me (The Keatyn Chronicles, #6)
  • The Devil's Beauty
  • Thief (Love Me with Lies, #3)
  • All In (Full Tilt, #2)
  • The Fall
  • A Perfectly Split Christmas (Split #1.5)
  • What Tomorrow May Bring
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Burying Water (Burying Water, #1)
  • Redemptive (Combative, #2)
  • Here to Stay (The Fish Tales, #3)
  • Present Perfect (Perfect, #1)
  • Crescendo
  • The Story of Me (Carnage, #2)
  • How to Kill a Rock Star
  • Mists of the Serengeti
International and #1 New York Times bestselling author of romance, YA, thriller and Women's Fiction. And maybe a ghost story soon.

I don't like to be confined to one genre. If you put me in a box, I'll claw my way out.

My social media username is @colleenhoover pretty much everywhere except my email, which is colleenhooverbooks@gmail.com

Founder of www.thebookwormbox.com charity and Book Bonanza.

“There is no such thing as bad people. We’re all just people who sometimes do bad things.” 1104 likes
“All humans make mistakes. What determines a person's character aren't the mistakes we make. It's how we take those mistakes and turn them into lessons rather than excuses.” 802 likes