Start by marking “The Heart of Evangelism” as Want to Read:
The Heart of Evangelism

The Heart of Evangelism

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  236 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
All Christians are called. Called to love God with all that we are. Called to serve Him. Called to reach out to the lost. However, if we are honest, the majority of us would admit that we find this last calling the most difficult. While we gladly support the evangelistic ministries of others, many of us feel discouraged by our own attempts at witnessing because our memoriz ...more
Published March 1st 2005 by Crossway Books (first published September 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of Evangelism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of Evangelism

Jay Yousef
Great outline of memorized presentation of Gospel and instruction when how to use one and good exposition of Scripture to follow in the methods of Jesus
Kenny Robertson
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book on evangelism. Simple but profound, deeply Biblical, compassionate, comprehensive, realistic, and hopeful. A must-read!
James
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
In evangelism, the work of the Holy Spirit is the deciding factor when it comes to affecting repentance and conversion. It was good to be reminded that the Holy Spirit is at work in the heart of someone before they make a profession of faith in Christ. It is easy to assume that God is so powerful that all in an instant God transforms a person’s heart. Though this is not beyond God’s power, I would be so bold as to say that this is not normally the way that God changes people’s hearts. He seems ...more
Rebecca
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
There's a wealth of riches in this book that I don't think I would've been open to without reading in a class or some sort of group setting. Coming on the heels of a class on the Life & Letters of Paul, and running concurrently with my women's bible study on Acts, Barrs insights are pretty illuminating.
Bob
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'll begin by saying that if Francis Schaeffer was going to write a book today on evangelism it would look & sound a lot like this one. Too many books on evangelism display an over reliance on the tools & insights of psychology & marketing strategy. There is some value in that but the biblical & theological foundations on which the `latest techniques' & `most dynamic strategies' rest end up being superficial at best. In contrast to all this "The Heart of Evagelism" serves to ...more
Greg Baughman
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
A must read (along with its companion volume, "Learning Evangelism from Jesus"). I enjoyed the second volume more, though that may be because of the solid foundation built here. Read this first, then the second. Here Barrs sets out his philosphy of evangelism, in the companion volume, he demonstrates it in practice. These books completely changed my concept of evangelism. Full review of both volumes can be found here.
Amanda R
May 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
What single word can send more people running for the hills than the word "evangelism"? This book moves beyond the salesman approach to telling people about the Gospel, and even explains why that approach is disrespectful to everyone involved including God. The author addresses issues facing evangelism today: postmodernism, relativism, etc. The author is a realist and does not sugar coat the fact that we have lost our sense of a shared story. But, he addresses these issues with sensible and prac ...more
Tim Woody
Jerram Barrs does a lot of good in this book, especially when it comes to identifying gentleness and the fruit of the Spirit as essential to evangelism. I did feel as if the book was written with Barrs filtering his expectations through his personal experience at times especially in areas such as school as mission. I did appreciate him identifying his own speculation at the biblical stories he used for illustration but at times they went too far.
Peter Stonecipher
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
A somewhat unconventional approach to the subject of evangelism. Barrs examines the applicability of the Great Commission to modern Christians, God's responsibility in evangelism, barriers that hinder evangelism from happening, and seven principles that can be gleaned from the Apostle Paul. Lots of helpful material here. It's especially encouraging that Barrs sticks so closely to the biblical text when drawing out his seven principles in the last section of the book.
Josh
Dec 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Though I have never met him, I have benefited greatly from Professor Barrs' teaching and lectures available on the internet. His audio material on evangelism is compelling and faith-building, and I thank God for his teaching. That said, his writing style in this book isn't compelling, and I didn't benefit from it as much as his spoken lectures. But I can still recommend the contents unreservedly - I just found Professor Barrs a better lecturer than writer.
Ryan
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
One of the best treatments of the topic of evangelism I've encountered, both in the scope (what is evangelism? where does the Bible talk about this?) and in the character of the work (how should we evangelize? how should we treat others?). Not merely a manual or a theological reflection, but a beautiful blend of the two.
Thomas Kuhn
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
The last half of the book was absolutely fantastic. Barrs' analysis of Paul's method of evangelism was very helpful to me. I give the latter half 5 stars. The first half, however, didn't really communicate a uniform message and left me scratching my head. The book would have been much better if it were just the second half. Overall a great read, though.
Mike Jorgensen
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Best book I've read thus far on evangelism. Having Barrs as a professor is the best but his writing captures his heart so well that it's a close second. The book is informative, challenging, and motivating. It is far more about cultivating a heart for evangelism than burdening us with the daunting task of evangelism.
David
Sep 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Good book. A little dry at places, but provides a very helpful overview of a biblical understanding of evangelism. You can tell Barrs has spent many years talking to people wrestling with Christianity, and even owns the questions non Christians ask for himself.
Brittany
May 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The best book on evangelism that I have read. I am also biased by the fact that I read this for Jerram's Apologetics & Outreach class at Covenant Seminary.. so he taught much of the material in class as well. Very thoughtful; having had him as a teacher, the ethos of this book overwhelms me.
Robbyn Abedi
Feb 20, 2012 rated it liked it
A basic read on apologetics. Nothing fancy, but still a very helpful beginners look at how one shares their faith in Christ lovingly.
Chris
Mar 07, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: any Christian who wants to think deeper about evangelism
Shelves: church
Good balance of the issues related to sharing your faith. Accessible to anyone except people who shop for books in pop Christian F****y Bookstore or the like.
Wassenario
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. Very practical wisdom for a topic I find myself thinking about a lot lately.
Jeremy Lee
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-living
This is a basic and theologically solid book on evangelism with practical advice on communicating the gospel effectively.
Danelle
Mar 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Incredible! One of the best books I've read...and NOT like so many others on the topic of sharing the gospel through relationship
Matthew
Mar 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Matthew by: My Parents
Challenging. Biblical. Culturally sensitive. Relevant. Clear. Concise. Builds a case. Helpful.
Stephen
Feb 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
this is a wonderful example of Barrs' thought and heart.
Tim
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Favorite book this semester.
Elsa
Dec 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mikkee and Amy
Wonderfully helpful book on sharing faith with others by meeting them where they are.
Diane
Mar 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book that addresses evangelism from both a theological and a practical angle.
Andrew Mulnix
  • Creation Regained: Biblical Basics for a Reformational Worldview
  • Proper Confidence: Faith, Doubt, and Certainty in Christian Discipleship
  • Why I Am Not an Arminian
  • The Mission of God's People: A Biblical Theology of the Church's Mission
  • Perfecting Ourselves to Death: The Pursuit Of Excellence And The Perils Of Perfectionism
  • Getting the Message: A Plan for Interpreting and Applying the Bible
  • The Church (Contours of Christian Theology, #4)
  • Christ, Baptism and the Lord's Supper: Recovering the Sacraments for Evangelical Worship
  • A Holy Ambition: To Preach Where Christ Has Not Been Named
  • Christian Spirituality: Five Views of Sanctification
  • Christ-Centered Preaching: Redeeming the Expository Sermon
  • Putting Amazing Back into Grace: Embracing the Heart of the Gospel
  • The Holy Spirit (Contours of Christian Theology, #6)
  • Francis Schaeffer: An Authentic Life
  • The Leader's Journey: Answering the Call to Personal and Congregational Transformation
Jerram Barrs is Professor of Christianity and Contemporary Culture at Covenant Theological Seminary, as well as a founder and Resident Scholar of the Francis Schaeffer Institute there. He was a part of Schaeffer's L'Abri Fellowship in Switzerland shortly after becoming a Christian and he and his wife were on staff at English L’Abri for many years. "During our 18 years at L’Abri and in my role as a ...more
More about Jerram Barrs...