Start by marking “Crossing Over to Canaan: The Journey of New Teachers in Diverse Classrooms” as Want to Read:
Crossing Over to Canaan: The Journey of New Teachers in Diverse Classrooms

Crossing Over to Canaan: The Journey of New Teachers in Diverse Classrooms

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  53 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
"Gloria Ladson-Billings provides a perceptive and interesting account of what is needed to prepare novice teachers to be successful with all students in our multicultural society. This book is must reading for all those entering the profession of teaching today and for those who prepare them for this important work."
--Ken Zeichner, associate dean and professor of curricul
Published March 15th 2001 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about Crossing Over to Canaan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crossing Over to Canaan

Riah
I really liked the premise of this book, but there just wasn't enough detail to make it really worthwhile. I wanted to know a lot more about the teachers and what actually happened in their classes.
Caroline Lampinen
I came to this book misguided. I expected a much higher-level and in depth reflection and explanation of best practices for instructing and leading beginning teachers to be culturally responsive and conscious; I did not get that, the first indicators being the font and format of the book- it feels made to take up space, rather than present a plethora of helpful information.

Instead, this book is a short debrief of an alt-very masters program focused on diversity in the classroom. The author seem
John
Sep 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: education
Read this for a class on diversity in the classroom. Not sure what I was hoping for personally, but it is a very good summery of an ethnographic research project looking at fourth graders in america. Durkheim does downtown, as it were. My problem with the book has more to do with the limits of ethnography rather than the ethnographers. The author manages to evoke a lot of sympathy even for the least sympathetic of families.

In a summary chapter she notes that even the craziest households felt qu
Joanne
Feb 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Ladson-Billing's book about the teacher prep program she and others started at U-W Madison to train teachers to work in diverse classrooms. It's a story about her own coming-of-age-as-a-teacher, too. The book bogs down in the stories of each individual student teacher and the challenges she faces, and although Ladson-Billings is a smooth writer, by the end of each chapter it's not clear what the point is. Thank goodness for the italics that let me know what it was supposed to be.

Cheryl M.
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: grown-up
I didn't care for the assumptions regarding "the average white
teacher"--but then I work in schools where anyone who is white
is a minority. What I did learn--look to the students to see
what sparks their interest. I really don't like to view students
through racial lenses, which is what this book is encouraging you
to do.
Abby
Nov 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Another thought-provoking work by the author of Dreamkeepers. A relatively quick read, this synthesis of theoretical and practical aspects of education in diverse classrooms amply whets the appetite of the invested reader hungry to learn more about both aspects.
Jen Chau
Feb 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers, educators, those interested in making diversity work for kids
Recommended to Jen Chau by: marc etienne
This book was helpful in terms of initiating my thinking about diversity in the classroom. It was helpful to hear some anecdotal experiences from folks who went through diversity teacher training... but I was left wanting more guidance on how educators can actually make diversity work in schools.
AndrewR
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
required reading for a single subject credential course, i didnt really relate to most of the issues being dealt with by the student teachers being observed...on the other hand Other People's Children I really found to be pertinent.
Carrie
Aug 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
This book reminds me of the thoughtful colleagues I worked with at Cardinal Stritch in Milwaukee.
Abby Dreps
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Important ideas-bad format/presentation
Rhonda
Dec 14, 2013 added it
I like the author's anecdotal approach to theorizing and emphasizing the relevance of the "Teach for Diversity" program. This book was informative, engaging and an easy read.
Stella
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it
2.5
Lynn
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Good author and researcher. Just happens to be highly specific to the field of teacher training. A little too specific for me.
Ben T Russell