Start by marking “Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg and Other (Wordsworth American Classics)” as Want to Read:
Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg and Other (Wordsworth American Classics)

Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg and Other (Wordsworth American Classics)

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  237 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Too short to be a novel, too long to be a short story, the novella is generally unrecognized by academics and publishers. Nonetheless, it is a form beloved and practiced by literature's greatest writers. In The ART OF THE NOVELLA series, Melville House celebrates this renegade art form and its practitioners with titles that are, in many instances, presented in book form fo ...more
Published March 1st 1996 by Universal Sales Marketing (first published 1899)

To ask other readers questions about Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg and Other, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg and Other

Adam Smith
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Legendary author Mark Twain presents a collection of essays, stories, and assorted other pieces, ranging from creative fantasies about a conman swindling a town of puritans to recounts of his short-lived adventures at soldiering to his opinion of Christian Scientists. A nice collection of very well told tales from yesteryear.

I have never read Twain before. His style of writing is enthralling and surprisingly entertaining, even if some of the longer rants did begin to drag. Many of the tales, des
Thom Swennes
Temptation is a hard taskmaster! Today I read The Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg and Other Short Stories by Mark Twain. This is one of his lesser known works but is still full of Twain magic. The small town of Hadleyburg is locally well known for the unflinching honesty of its citizens. A stranger that passes through perceives an injustice done to him and vows retribution. He tempts the citizens and they can’t resist it. It is a tale in the Twain tradition and well worth the time to read. Some of ...more
Susan
Jan 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of short stories shows a different side of Mark Twain. Works such as these from later in his life have a cynicism that is not so prevalent in his earlier writing. Still, Twain's typical wit and twists of plot kept me laughing throughout.
Rodrigo Vargas
El cuento que le da el nombre a la recopilación es muy bueno. Otro, que es una parodia a las fábulas, y el cuento del billete de un millón de libras (que es como El socio de Jenaro Prieto, pero con final feliz) son buenos igual. El resto del libro parece relleno para que el libro tenga una cantidad decente de páginas solamente.
Me gusta la forma en que escribe Twain, es divertido y te engancha fácil en las historias. Quedé con ganas de leer obras mayores de el, y no quedarme con este recopilado d
Pat
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: america, classici

Protagonista è l’integra e onesta cittadina di Hadleyburg coi suoi diciannove notabili a simbolo d’incorruttibilità. Eppure… L’integrità morale si sbriciola quando un forestiero bussa alla porta di Mr Edward Richards e lascia in consegna a Maria, moglie di Edward, un sacco di monete d’oro insieme a due buste: una da aprirsi subito e una da che dovrà essere aperta in seguito. I diciannove notabili ricevono a loro volta una busta che contiene una frase. La chiave per prendere possesso del sacco d
Joel
Feb 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone
I only read the one story, "The Man who Corrupted Hadleyburg", but it was simply amazing. I don't know how the other stories fare, but it is Mark Twain. The funny thing is that I didn't really have that much of an opinion for Mr. Twain. I know he has written many classics, but they never really sparked my interest. Of course I did read them in high school and from what I know now, books like "Huck Finn" are actually a lot more complex than just a simple story of a young southern boy and runaway ...more
Joyce
Aug 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twain's satire is a pleasure to read. I do believe, however, that his forte is the metacognitive commentary on language. That really gets me laughing, anyway.

My favourite pieces are probably: "The Esquimaux Maiden's Romance," "[My Retranslation]" of The Jumping Frog story from the French, and "Meisterschaft."

-----

Some memorable quotes:

"I do not like an injurious lie, except when it injures somebody else."

"That sentence is Germanic, and shows that I am acquiring that sort of mastery of the art a
Susan Fetterer
Sanctimonious illusions of honesty and virtue collide with opportunity and temptation in a small town renown for its aggregate virtue ... with a predictable outcome. A stranger wronged by a townsperson goes to great lengths to test the reputation, by offering a financial reward for the supposedly kind Hadleyburgian who provided the stranger with $20 at his time of need. Through a ridiculously intricate set of circumstances designed to trip up town leaders who were the main claimants for the rewa ...more
zaCk S
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
should really be "the stolen white elephant" and other stories. classic twain - filled with several laugh-out-loud moments and several beating-a-dead-horse moments. i feel that each of these stories, individually, are silly and good fun, but in a collection, read one after the other, come across as a little more tragic. the satire on display here gives a kind of window into the hopelessness that twain must have felt towards the rich and the powerful. not that hopelessness isn't the right feeling ...more
Michael Phillips
An absolutely searing unmasking of fallen human nature, and empirical proof, if any was needed, of the doctrine of original sin. In this case, pride and greed. What is so extraordinary is the way the central characters are drawn and portrayed so skilfully, yet so briefly and simply. The more righteous they strive to be, the more their human nature brings them low. This short story is justifiably cited as a masterpiece.
Galicius
Feb 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
The plot is so convoluted that I lost interest in following it. I thought I reached the end of the story, and it might as well have ended at Part 3 but another Part follows with more twists and turns. This isn’t Mark Twain of "Huckleberry Finn" or "Life on the Mississippi".

There are several versions of this collection and considerable differences between the stories and non-fiction articles contained between them.
Mike Harper
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These short stories provide an insight into Mark Twain's world. Twain practically invented self-deprecating humor, and he used it effectively in practically every one of the stories here. True, these are 19th Century stories, but they haven't lost their freshness in the hundred-and-some years since Twain wrote them.
Carrie
Jun 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had trouble following some of the political pieces in this book as I'm not up with the "current events" of the 1870s-1890s. I was really amazed at how well the fiction stories held up, though. They could have been written yesterday, they were that true to contemporary culture.
Dave
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
some classically typical Twain short stories here that have stuck with me and some that don't have much relevance today. On the balance, most stories are good, but not 'must-read.' Not a bad use of time, reading this - but easily skipped.
Louise
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: around-the-usa
Some of it's great, some of it feels a little dated, I skipped through CHRISTIAN SCIENCE AND THE BOOK OF MRS. EDDY and "Stirring Times in Austria"- they were quite dull, but I really like "Is he living or is he dead?" and several other stories.
Not much of a red thread in this collection.
Gerald Curtis
This was an interesting and entertaining illustration of human nature striving towards its best and sometimes giving into weaknesses previously unsuspected. Clever and entertaining as Twain always is.
Camille
Jan 17, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2008
Mark Twain's stories in this book are interesting and clever, but for some reason it still took me quite a while to get around to finishing the book. Other books, it seems, were more interesting, so this one kept getting pre-empted.
Betelhem   is reading all about it
All i can say is that Mark Twain wrote a short story of how the world is. Its a perfect example of all generations. How temptation and money can change human.
Shey
Oct 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really did not like this book.
Robert
Sep 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-classic
After 48 years, I finally fulfilled my ambition and read this. I was sorely disappointed, but it may have been the reader.
Johanne
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He was a clever chap <3
Fizzy
Aug 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually just read the one story. I liked it. Very interesting idea to base a story on (corrupting the supposedly "incorruptible")
Scott Waldyn
Some good. Some bad. This collection leaves you with the contentedness of having dined on a frozen bag of mixed vegetables - nothing to write home about.
Nutty
Aug 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting ideas, but difficult language to read.
Tom
Jul 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
the title story is a Twain classic but the remainder are just OK for Twain. Of course, just OK for Twain is better than most other writers on their best day.
Jackie
Sep 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know that Mark Twain was a funny author. If you don't pay attention to the words, you might miss his jokes.
Kevin Dobill
Monique recommended this after we watched A Simple Plan (based on the Scott Smith novel) - very good, this could've been the inspiration. I'm far from being a bad man. :)
This was a collection of short stories by Mark Twain. Some I liked; some I didn't. Some are folksy, some satiracal, some sarcastic. A good variety of Mark Twain humor.
Carrie
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story
Great book about human nature, the good and the bad. I thoroughly enjoyed the story!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The New Death and others
  • The House of the Dead & The Gambler
  • 10 Short Stories You Must Read in 2011
  • The Stories of Bernard Malamud
  • Kiss, Kiss ; Over to You ; Switch Bitch ; Someone Like You ; Four Tales of the Unexpected ; My Uncle Oswald
  • North Against South: A Tale of the American Civil War (Extraordinary Voyages, #30)
  • Uncommon People: Resistance, Rebellion and Jazz
  • 100 Selected Stories (Wordsworth Classics)
  • Satchmo: My Life in New Orleans
  • La Guerre et la Paix II
  • I Am Not a Psychic!: A Novel
  • How to Have Kick-Ass Ideas: Get Curious, Get Adventurous, Get Creative
  • Dr. Deming: The American Who Taught the Japanese About Quality
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work
More about Mark Twain...

• Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • 600 Hours of Edward
  • Prayers for the Stolen
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland
  • Clara and Mr. Tiffany
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Golden Age: A Novel of Queen Elizabeth
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Rejected Writers' Book Club (Southlea Bay, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • A Tangled Mercy
  • Stillwater Rising
    $4.49 $1.99
“There is nothing in the world like a persuasive speech to fuddle the mental apparatus and upset the convictions and debauch the emotions of an audience not practiced in the tricks and delusions of oratory.” 4 likes