Start by marking “The Pursuit of Attention: Power and Ego in Everyday Life” as Want to Read:
The Pursuit of Attention: Power and Ego in Everyday Life

The Pursuit of Attention: Power and Ego in Everyday Life

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  101 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
"Enough about me," goes the old saying, "what about you? What do you think about me?" Hence the pursuit of attention is alive and well. Even the Oxford English Dictionary reveals a modern coinage to reflect the chase in our technological age: "ego-surfing"--searching the Internet for occurrences of your own name. What is the cause of this obsessive need for others' recogni ...more
Published April 1st 2000 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Pursuit of Attention, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pursuit of Attention

Marie
Jun 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had meant to request the more recent version of this book and received the 1979 version through inter-library loan instead. It was interesting to me, though the sexual-political themes in it felt dated, over-emphasized and simplistic. For example, he asserts that women are an oppressed minority and therefore at a disadvantage for attention in modern society. I've now requested the updated version, and it will be interesting to see how the author treats these same issues thirty years later.

The
Dedrick
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
This was an excellent book that clearly links social hierarchy with daily social interactions. Ever since I read it, I see how power inequalities play out in conversations and other social situations that so subtly yet obviously expose the individualistic competition for attention (and a better life).
Jinny Case
May 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Jinny by: Dr. Miller
Fabulous (and short) read on time and attention as a commodity.
Cooper Cooper
Aug 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Sociologist Charles Derber takes a look at the competition for attention in American society—a competition that has sharply increased since the first edition of this book appeared in 1979. He likens the competition for attention to the competition for money, with some people “rich” (attention-takers) and others “poor” (attention-givers and “invisibles”). He studies the phenomenon in two settings: informal (for example, casual conversations among friends) and formal (where social roles and statu ...more
Hannah Greendale
Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it
The Pursuit of Attention brings clarity to certain human behaviors demonstative of the need for attention and examines the cultural distribution of attention based on economic status, gender, and education in both formal and informal settings. Charles Derber relies on outdated pop-culture icons and attitudes for reference, somewhat weakening his argument. What few solutions he offers seem far fetched and diminish hope for change.
H. Ryan
Dec 29, 2007 rated it liked it
Really makes you think about how people listen, or don't. A bit strange trying to have a conversation while also trying to analyze its direction. I picked it up mainly because of the word "Attention" in the title, which kind of figures into my spirituality or whatever after I read The Island.
Tory White
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This short read is surprisingly full of insight about human interaction and western culture. According to Charles Derber, attention is a commodity--attention is equal to status but the allocation of attention is unequal. I gave this book 4 stars, though, because I thought Derber's doomsday tone of voice was too dramatic and actually took away from the issue itself.
Ruivano
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wise, clear, necessary. Attention = power. Power is not shared equitably in families; the workplace; among nations.

After reading this book you will have awakened to things you felt but didn't know why.
Jim
Dec 15, 2012 rated it liked it
The beginning of the book makes some interesting observations about skills people use to command attention from others. After that, the book disintegrates into shallow polemics. More of a short essay followed by useless filler than a book.
Andrew Malkin
But now need to go back and reread as that was '89 if not mistaken. Given this as a gift (backhanded compliment? hope I have gotten less self-oriented with age!).
Terragyrl3
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Some of the material is dated--are "housewives" still a demographic group?--but the premise and transactional analyses are first-rate.
Sebastian
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • A Symphony in the Brain: The Evolution of the New Brain Wave Biofeedback
  • The Book of Medicines
  • The Evolution of Childhood: Relationships, Emotion, Mind
  • Race, Monogamy, and Other Lies They Told You: Busting Myths about Human Nature
  • Daring to Trust: Opening Ourselves to Real Love and Intimacy
  • Wizard of the Upper Amazon
  • The Open-Focus Brain: Harnessing the Power of Attention to Heal Mind and Body
  • The Baby Matrix: Why Freeing Our Minds From Outmoded Thinking About Parenthood & Reproduction Will Create a Better World
  • Los limites del amor
  • The Paradox of Love
  • Uncoupling: Turning Points in Intimate Relationships
  • When Perfect Isn't Good Enough: Strategies for Coping with Perfectionism
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • A History Of Marriage
  • Winning from Within: How to Create Lasting Change in Your Leadership and Your Life
  • Nerds: Who They Are and Why We Need More of Them
  • Darkness Is My Only Companion: A Christian Response to Mental Illness
  • Glimpses of the Devil: A Psychiatrist's Personal Accounts of Possession, Exorcism, and Redemption

Charles Derber is Professor of Sociology at Boston College and has written 17 books - on politics, economy, capitalism, war, the culture wars, culture and conversation, and social change. He writes for and has been reviewed in the NY Times, the Washington Post, the Boston Globe, Truthout, and other leading media. His books are translated into Chinese, Korean, Tamil, German and Polish- and he is a
More about Charles Derber...