Start by marking “Listening to a Continent Sing: Birdsong by Bicycle from the Atlantic to the Pacific” as Want to Read:

A birdsong expert's poignant and beautifully illustrated memoir of a bicycle journey across America with his son

Join birdsong expert Donald Kroodsma on a ten-week, ten-state bicycle journey as he travels with his son from the Atlantic to the Pacific, lingering and listening to our continent sing as no one has before. On remote country roads, over terrain vast and
Published May 3rd 2016 by Princeton University Press

To ask other readers questions about Listening to a Continent Sing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Listening to a Continent Sing

Start your review of Listening to a Continent Sing: Birdsong by Bicycle from the Atlantic to the Pacific
Lucy
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sparked so many happy memories of my own TransAm journey. Ended up skimming some of the bird sections, but I did listen to & enjoy the recorded songs on the website (since I cant deal with downloading a QR code reader). I loved riding along vicariously w/ the author & witnessing his . . . awakening? transformation? ...more
Mollie
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a comprehensive book. Topics include history, geology, parent-child relationships, and yes...birdsong. Father and son bike across the United States, east to west. The rigors of the trip are enormous. The father is dedicated to studying, to becoming intimate with birdsong--how the patterns change throughout the day and why. Even the drawings of birds are extensive and detailed.

It is important to note that the author is a birder who recognizes birds primarily by their songs, rather by
Dan Carpenter
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is interesting but the author can get a little too deep into birdsong for me. I was getting a little bit frustrated trying to read every word but after I started skimming the deep birdsong analysis sections, I found it much more enjoyable.
Roy
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fun account of a father/son cycling trip across the country from Virginia to Oregon mostly following the original Bikecentennial route (Adventure Cycling now). As both a cyclist and an amateur birder I enjoyed professor Kroodsmas descriptions of the birds and people they encountered along the way. The QR birdsong tags are an added bonus. Be sure to read the sometimes fascinating descriptions included with this free add-on.
Great book.
Stewart Marshall
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. A travelogue combined with birding and cycling. Donald Kroodsma is to birdsong what Bela Fleck is to the banjo. The book is also a great introduction to his son David Kroodsma who I am now very motivated to learn more about!

I read this book out loud from cover to cover and found my impressions of birdsong get significantly better as a result!

Highly recommended.
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Listening to a Continent Sing: Birdsong by Bicycle From the Atlantic to the Pacific by birdsong expert Donald Kroodsma (Princeton University Press) was released this week just in time for Fathers Day.

The book chronicles the adventures of the author and his son, David, as they traveled along the TransAmerica Bicycle Trail from Yorktown, Virginia, to the Oregon Coast in 2003, listening to and recording the calls and songs of birds along the way.

While most cyclists start this trek at the Pacific to
Lizz
Aug 16, 2016 rated it liked it
This book covers a lot of ground! It isn't just the bird song, but history, geology etc. A really interesting book.
Vjera Thompson
Tom Mcgrath
Sep 21, 2019

• Birds of Maryland & Delaware Field Guide
  • The Best of Edward Abbey
  • Tip of the Iceberg: My 3,000-Mile Journey Around Wild Alaska, the Last Great American Frontier
  • The Apparitionists: A Tale of Phantoms, Fraud, Photography, and the Man Who Captured Lincoln's Ghost
  • Trespassing Across America: One Man's Epic, Never-Done-Before (and Sort of Illegal) Hike Across the Heartland
  • AWOL on the Appalachian Trail
  • Mary B: An Untold Story of Pride and Prejudice
  • Abel's Island
  • Thirst: 2600 Miles to Home
  • Isa Does It: Amazingly Easy, Wildly Delicious Vegan Recipes for Every Day of the Week
  • Riddance: Or the Sybil Joines Vocational School for Ghost Speakers & Hearing-Mouth Children
  • The Raven Tower