Start by marking “Fire in the Blood (Shards of a Broken Sword #2)” as Want to Read:
Fire in the Blood (Shards of a Broken Sword #2)

Fire in the Blood

(Shards of a Broken Sword #2)

A princess in a dragon-guarded tower. The prince who is to rescue her. The prince’s ensorcelled dragon. And one enchanted keep that might just be enough to kill them all...

It’s widely known that Princess Kayami Koto is held captive in the Enchanted Keep by a dragon of great ferocity and skill. So when the bold, daring and crafty Prince Akish attempts to rescue her, it see
Published December 25th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Fire in the Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire in the Blood

Start your review of Fire in the Blood (Shards of a Broken Sword #2)
Andrea
Really enjoyed this one. In fact, there were times it brought me shades of DWJ, which is the highest compliment I can give a fantasy novel(la). Fire in the Blood isn't as intricately layered as a DWJ, but it's a tremendously fun fantasy adventure (with, again, my favourite character type: powerful and competent female mage) that really makes me want to see more of the characters in the world.
Intisar Khanani
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie-authors
One of the things I love about this series is that Gingell takes your standard "fairy tale" set up and then tweaks one of your standard assumptions (or a few). It makes for fun, and a unique and intriguing take on archetypal stories. For example, in the first book in this series, "Twelve Days of Faerie," our hero is not actually prince charming, but good old dad, and the heroine is an enchantress who is both brilliant and capable, and not in need of rescuing. Together they make a fantastic set o ...more
LPJ
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was delightful, as in it actually delighted me. It's in what could be called a niche subgenre of "enchanted castle" stories, and in that respect reminded me a little of Melissa McShane's The View From Castle Always.

I loved the uniqueness of the story and sped through the whole thing. I'm not a fan of over description, but I did wish we had a few more details in some places, like how old these characters are and a bit more background.

And I really wanted an epilogue, but having read book 3
Denae Christine
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reader thoughts: Still haven't met a WRG book I haven't liked.

I loved both Rafiq and Kako. Dragons shifting to humans is not new (see Nice Dragons Finish Last and these).

I loved the challenges of the castle, too. Some were puzzling, and some were about character. I loved that Prince Akish was so confident at every step, even though he hadn't solved any of them.

Kako's family was awesome, too. I couldn't keep her siblings straight (there were five? Six?), but I could tell they all adored and suppo
Athena
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy readers, character-driven storyline fans
Recommended to Athena by: Intisar Khanani
This is the second tale by Gingell I've read (after Twelve Days of Faery) and it's part of a sequence involving shards of a broken sword that are found in each story although we don't yet know the import of these shards; they're secondary at this point. Nice teaser!

Fire in the Blood has some great twists on a lot of common fantasy tropes: the premise is the European 'Princess in the Tower' story, except we don't meet the Princess, aren't sure precisely what's going on with her, and her alleg
Raquel Evans
At the beginning, this felt like a big shift from the first book, but it didn't take me long to start enjoying it just as much. Loving this series!

Very low content concerns: definitely danger, some violence and even death, mostly just with the usual adventure story feel, but young/sensitive readers might find some moments very sad or stressful. One character is quite a bit of a jerk, but mostly in attitude, with a sprinkling of a few insulting phrases.
Brianna
A great little novella of puzzles, dragons, and mystery!
Bill Tillman
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fire in The Blood

Kind of a different type of fae & Dragon story. Three start on a many storied challenge, each level is very hard, but prove the mettle of each. 5 Stars!
J.F.
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fire in the Blood is the second book in the Shards of a Broken Sword trilogy. After reading the first book, I was a bit confused. I expected King Markon and Althea. But no, this is a completely different story with another cast of characters. The tie in between the stories seems to be (surprise, surprise) shards of a broken sword.

In this story, Prince Akish wants to rescue the princess from the dragons keep. But attempting to do so brings about a series of challenges they must survive.

But Rafiq,
Diane
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Prince Not-charming-at-all doesn't realize the others (the actual leads) have such a low opinion of him

Another twist on the classic tales -- WRG must think a regular Prince Charming makes a boring hero, huh? I like Rafiq-the-dragon and Kako-the-cryptic (even if I did guess part of what she was hiding), and Kako's family, too. (I won't explain how we meet them, because that would be spoilers.)

The seven challenges are not my favorite WRG plot, but it was still quite enjoyable for a quick read. Ra
Min
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
mirba
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, fiabe
a nice fairy tale retelling - all reversed and hilarious.
Aiyana
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great story

I loved this. Creative but not forced, each chapter had me cheering for the heroes and biting my nails for them at the same time.
Ilja
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one, again. I was a little disappointed that the characters from the first book didn't appear in this second book, not even as side characters. However, it was still very much enjoyable and I liked reading it.

So this book is about a prince going through a set of trials to rescue a princess. That sounds a little boring and not really women empowering, while that's usually Gingell's thing. Don't worry: it will come through! The prince is accompanied by a dragon, who he owns d
May
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book is the second of a trilogy (the first book being "Twelve Days a Faery." Both books are standalone in the sense of despite the fact that there is an overarching narrative arc for the trilogy, the stories stand on their own (at least so far).
Rafiq is a dragon who is being held in Thrall by Prince Akish. He's not a fan of this state of affairs but has resigned himself to his fate. They are off to rescue a princess in an enchanted keep and encounter the princess's servant, Kako, who offers
Marlene Teixeira
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I feel for some reason something weren't explained well, like are the rest of Kako's family kind of dragons too? or just her? and why? I guess this piece of information isn't as important to the story, but it would give me a sense of closure, also the fact that prince Akish died and no one cared about it, well he was a major brat, but still, he was a prince of a kingdom, and if i'm not mistaken, heir to the throne, it would be nice to feel some closure in this little plot hole.
I feel the first
Tessa
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If Twelve Days of Faery was great, then this one is flaming magnificent.

PROS:
-The setting-Taking place in the country/kingdom of Shinpo, there was much more culture included. As much as I love the medieval kingdom setting of Montalier from the previous book, this one was fascinating and made me curious about the rest of the traditions in it.
-Rafiq-Marvelous. That is all.
-Kako-Gingell's female characters are always so unique. For fear of spoilers, I'll leave it at that.
-The seven circles were in
Jan
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in this fantasy trilogy called Shards of a Broken Sword. The first two books are about different characters. They are set in the same world and both about shards from a broken sword that hold a great deal of magic. The books are short (from about 130 to 220 pages), but the stories are satisfying and complete.

This story about a prince, a dragon, a maid and a sleeping princess in a tower is humorous and exciting as the prince along with his dragon try to complete challenge
Brittany Goodman
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing

This story was both simple and complex at the same time. The characters were likeable, the plot twisted and turned and while I saw some of it coming, I didn't see other parts. Very fun story.
Rudaina
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was surprised that this is a stand alone book. The characters were all new, but there is a recurring theme from the first book that continues into the second book.
I didn't think I would like this book as much as book 1, but it was just as exciting.
Bethany
Apr 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Quick and easy read. A great follow up to the first book Twelve Days in Faery. But both can be read alone which is nice. Since I have the third book, I'll be reading it to finish up the series and find out what's up with the broken sword.
Recommended? Sure
Buy/Borrow? Either or.
Nicole Lisa
Aug 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017, dnf
DNF for plot stupidity and general unbelievability.
Jemma
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quite fun and entertaining.
Again, very short, but I got the collection so no biggy.

Graylark
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tale
As a fairy tale story, this was great fun to read.

As a young adult romance or a romance of any type, it was greatly dissatisfying and left hanging. So don't count on any payoff at all.
Sophie
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sleeping Beauty with dragons.
Jenika Ioffreda
A pleasant read but I didn't enjoy it as much as the first book. Still I am curious to read the last instalment of the trilogy, I am curious to see how the different characters will connect.
Barbara
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, quick read.
katayoun Masoodi
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again as delightful as the first one, especially after the second or third chapter, highly recommned it during these tiring times, happy story and nice writing
Iris
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Content:
Sexual: kissing only
Violence: Mild/Medium
Language: none
Lisa Whitehead
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The princess in the keep, the dragon and the prince come to rescue her.
That’s about the only part of this gorgeous, fun story you will recognise, because this isn’t your normal fairy tale!
Brilliant

• The Legendary Inge
  • Kingdom of Ruses
  • Goldmayne: A Fairy Tale
  • Tournament of Ruses (Ruses, #2)
  • Half a Soul (Regency Faerie Tales #1)
  • The Prince's Bargain (The Elves of Lessa, #3)
  • Soot and Slipper
  • Tomes Apprentice (The Tomes of Kaleria, #1)
  • Brine and Bone
  • Breaking and Entering 101 (The Case Files of Henri Davenforth, #4)
  • Magic Unleashed (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #3)
  • Magic Redeemed (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #2)
  • Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance #1)
  • Reign of Magic (The Fairy Tale Enchantress, #3)
  • War Bound (Elven Alliance #2)
  • Apprentice of Magic (The Fairy Tale Enchantress, #1)
  • Magic Forged (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #1)
  • The Book of Secrets (The Last Oracle, #1)
W.R. Gingell is a Tasmanian author who is definitely not getting old. She loves to rewrite fairytales with a twist or two—and a murder or three—and original fantasy where dragons, enchantresses, and other magical creatures abound. Occasionally she will also dip her toes into the waters of SciFi.

W.R. spends her time reading, drinking an inordinate amount of tea, and slouching in front of the fire t

Shards of a Broken Sword (3 books)
  • Twelve Days of Faery (Shards of a Broken Sword #1)
  • The First Chill Of Autumn (Shards of a Broken Sword #3)