Start by marking “Boys Don't Ride” as Want to Read:
Boys Don't Ride

Read Book* *Different edition

Boys Don't Ride

17-year-old Tull has loved horses ever since he can remember but as the son of a single mum with more pressing things to pay for than riding lessons he’s never got closer than stroking them over the fence. Until one day a chance encounter with the most unlikely of girls opens the door to his dream. The question is, is it still the same dream? And is he tough enough to prov ...more
ebook
Published September 19th 2015 by Smashwords Edition (first published October 12th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Boys Don't Ride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boys Don't Ride

Start your review of Boys Don't Ride
Jim
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I was just in a gooey mood today, but this novella really hit the spot. It's so nice to read about horses by an author that actually knows them. OK, she calls a 'halter' a 'head collar', but the English have been butchering American for years now, so I'll forgive her.
;)

This was a romance, but nothing beyond some kissing takes place & even that isn't graphic. Mostly it's about a boy's unrequited horse addiction. I'm not one, but I raised one & know a lot of women with the affliction. Marcus
Sarah Elizabeth
This was a YA contemporary romance novella about a boy and girl who meet in the school cafeteria and discover a mutual love for horses. They begin working together at some stables, and participate in a charity event, and slowly feelings grow between them, even though Liberty keeps telling Tull that he isn’t her type! This was a sweet story though, and it was cute the way Tull eventually admitted his feelings for Liberty.

6 out of 10
Anna
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A free read that is beautiful, sad, profound, heartbreaking, cute, uplifting, made me well up(and I’m not the sobbing type) then ultimately happy. But the animals aren't as rounded as they were in 'Eleanor McGraw' and it doesn't have that kind of strong horse lead character so it's more of a rounded up 5.
Michael Gardner
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t read a lot of YA as I find it can be a bit same same. I happened to mention this to a good friend and he recommended Boys Don’t Ride as an example of ‘YA done well’. I think that phrase is a good summary for this book. The writing is nice and the relationship between the two main characters is natural and endearing. Tull is portrayed with believable tenderness, making the exploration of his developing feelings for Liberty very enjoyable. I particularly liked the way the ‘beauty and the b ...more
Cheyenne Blue
Eleanor McGraw, a Pony Named Mouse and a Boy Called Fire was a random read in 2013 that turned out to be one of my top ten books of the year, so I was delighted to learn that Katharina Marcus has a new YA horse-themed novella out. And what’s more, it was (and still is) free.

"Boys Don’t Ride" is the story of 17 year old Tull who loves horses, but has no money to learn to ride. Through a small good turn in the school cafeteria, he meets Liberty¸a rather solitary girl, whom he is intrigued by. In t
Marta
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only flaw about this book: too short!
I adored it, heartbreaking and sad at times but full of hope at others, the story is enchanting and beautiful.
A great little book.
Ilhem
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
That was just Okay! Not really my cup of tea!
Clare O'Beara
A smashing young adult story about earning the right to riding lessons by doing the work of looking after ponies... and helping others. Tull is seventeen and scraping by as his absent father doesn't always live up to his responsibilities. A girl called Liberty has no money either, but she does have access to ponies and horses as her mother runs a riding centre. Tull loves horses but has never had the chance to learn to ride.

Liberty has a cleft palate/ hare lip which required a few operations an
Theresa
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh! My one complaint: it's too short. I want this to be 400 pages long. Such an amazing story and I want more!

Tull is a pretty boy who thinks he has it hard and loves horses. He meets Liberty and his life is flipped upside down.

Liberty was born with a cleft pallet, and Tull obsesses over her mouth. Which makes the story very strange in a good way. Ah! I want so much more of them! They are so sweet together.

When Tull helps out with the kids, it's a tearjerker. I loved when Liberty teased
Grace Ormerod
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this- the issue of horses being "girly" is unfortunately very common, even though in my part of the distant north of England, Cumbria, it's all horses cows or sheep. (No kidding, there's your career options) Well done the boys who ride!
Lauren Dowding
This was a really great quick read for horse lovers. Even though it didn't give me the same connection as with Katharina Marcus's other work, i could easily still fall in love with the characters. If you're looking for an enjoyable one sit read with everything great about the horse world and young love, then this is the book for you!
ILyk Tourid
Lovely little teen romance centred about the love of horses and a quick read. I like the way the author portrays Tull and Liberty: Tull being handsome and easy-going and Liberty with a facial flaw and a bite. I guess the main suspense is whether he’ll get the girl or not, Liberty being so defensive at times. But they are both hard-working and love horses and there they both find a common ground.

What I liked most in this short story and Eleanor is the writing.

He couldn’t stop thinking about her,
Nikki
Feb 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say but aww this story was heartfelt, cute and so sweet. It gave me feel good feelings for the simple things in life and made me smile and remember that superficial really doesn't matter, humanity matters.

The girl was poor, worse than poor she had no money 3 jobs and 8 brothers and a horse to pay for but she still gave what she could to those who had less, to the boy who never had a chance to follow his dream, to the children who had disabilities, to give back hope to those who needed
Chris Meads
This is a book that has the love of horses, a young boy, and a girl who has a disability.

Tull is 17 and he loves horses. He knows a lot about them and wishes that he could have one. But his mom is divorced so there is no money for a horse, nor there is for riding lessons. Tull has been told that boys don't ride horses, only girls do.

Tull goes to school and spots a girl, who everyone calls Lips. He tries to make friends with her and also finds out that she works and rides at a riding stable nearb
Catherine
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: reviewed, own, 2014-read, 5star
I saw this available for a giveaway a few days ago and found that the eBook is available for free on Goodreads.

Tull is a seventeen year old boy. Ever since he was a child, he's found comfort in horses. When they used to ride outside his house, he ran outside to greet them. Though, after the years, there's been fewer horses in his life. However, when Liberty comes into his life, he soon rekindles his passion for the animals and helps her out at the stables.

I quite enjoyed it. It was short, but di
Aimz
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first heard of this novella through Jane Badger's blog.
Wow! What a story! My first thoughts when I finished reading it was 'why did it have to be so short?', then I realised the author has finished with a perfect situation - the main character is happy and about to start his riding journey, and the reader is left with the knowledge that everything had turned out well despite the characters' circumstances.

I would recommend this novella to any of my horsey orientated friends. While it may be s
Ann Pratley
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I read this I hadn't realised it was for young adults, but can definitely see that this is a lovely story for any romantic of any age. The story is beautiful and very well written, and I could have happily read a much longer version of it. There is nothing adult in it - it is just pure, simple, loving romance and just gorgeous. I enjoyed it as an adult but I would equally be happy to hand this to my young teen boy or girl as a pleasant read.
Andy
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book as a free download in exchange for an honest review.

Well I certainly like to challenge my senses, broaden my horizons and take myself out of my comfort zone. Teenage emotions and horses are just that but I have to say that I loved the story. Great plot, strong characters and thoroughly enjoyable to read.
Katarina
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a huge complaint about this book: it was too short.

This is a wonderful story, with superbly written characters. A sweet coming-of-age story and at the same time a love story. The characters are very well developed considering how short this story is and that Katharina Marcus didn't have to use a ton of words to set the stage.

Excellent read
Christine Meunier
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horse, 2016
This horse novella by Katharina Marcus tells the story of 17 year old Tull, a good looking teen who may have all the girl’s attention – except the one he wants. Tull has another desire that isn’t fulfilled – his love of horses.

For as long as he can remember, Tull has loved the equine animal and devoured books about them... more at http://equus-blog.com/boys-dont-ride-...
David Rose
Beautiful short teen romance. Marcus has constructed the story perfectly within its novella framework, and has a great touch with all the iffy moments of being a teenager. I liked the different approach, and the characters are very well developed within the available space. Tissues required, especially for charity day!

After re-reading: this is one to keep.
Camille Vitug
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know absolutely nothing about horses nor have any interest in them, but the author has a way of making everything sound fun and interesting. Great characters, cute plot. Zero dull moment (so uncommon)! Good for a quick read during lazy afternoons or before you go to bed.
Steven Richards
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
Wow. This lady can REALLY write people.

More please!
Wings Of
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This little novella was amazing! The details were striking and made me feel like I was really there. The entire thing flowed and the plotline was gorgeous and emotional.
Philipp
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good story, couldn't put it away!
Could be a good base for a script and movie i think!
Krishia
I think, this is interesting to read and I think this can help me know more about boys, hehe. :)
Donna
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic, really sweet story! I loved Tull and Liberty, and their friendship was really sweet. Definitely worth a read.

Bianca
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was a good quick read. With great character development and plot. I don't know I just really liked it.
Rachel Cattell
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful story that left me sobbing slightly. Another brilliant read that left me eagerly wanting more. I want more please!
Dennis Martin
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got me a bit vakelmpt!! Cute teen romance!
Horse Lovers Central: Free Horse Novella 6 25 May 24, 2015 04:31PM
Free Books, .99, ...: Free YA romance/horse novella 1 17 Nov 16, 2014 02:39PM
Horse Book Lovers: Free Horse Novella 2 12 Oct 17, 2014 09:45AM
Brit Lit : Freebie YA Novella by UK Author 3 8 Oct 13, 2014 11:10PM
Not So Young YA B...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Free YA Novella 3 7 Oct 13, 2014 11:10PM
.❤YA Lovers❤: Free YA Novella 1 15 Oct 13, 2014 02:27PM

• Angels Club (Angels Club, #1)
  • Cracklin' Ginger
  • Risking it All
  • Someone Else's Daughter (Miranda's Rights, #1)
  • The Piano Girl (Counterfeit Princess #1)
  • A Hairy Tail (A Hairy Tail, #1)
  • OMG Why is My Body Changing So Much?: A Female Teen's Guide to Surviving Puberty (OMG Teen Book #2)
  • 100 Best Jokes: Family Edition
  • Elita
  • The Selection Series 1-5 Book Set (The Selection #1-5)
  • Confessions of a Queen B* (The Queen B*, #1)
  • Masquerade (The Rosewoods, #2)
  • In Between (Katie Parker Productions, #1)
  • Taking the Reins (The Rosewoods, #1)
  • The Fallen Star (Fallen Star, #1)
  • Fire in Frost (Crystal Frost, #1)
  • The Underworld (Fallen Star, #2)
  • The Vision (Fallen Star, #3)
Katharina Marcus is a British Brightonian author of German-Jewish descent with a Dutch passport and a nationless heart.
She lives in perpetual chaos on a ball in space with one husband, two children, four ponies and a couple of cats.

A life-long horse woman with a serious penchant for bareback riding, she used to top up her meagre earnings from writing by moonlighting as a freelance riding instruc