Start by marking “Rumpelstiltskin (Matthew Hope, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rumpelstiltskin (Matthew Hope, #2)

Rumpelstiltskin (Matthew Hope #2)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  442 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
...Bloom shook his head. The sad brown eyes looked even sadder. He sighed and then said, "You know anybody who might’ve wanted that little girl badly enough?"

"What?" I said.

"The little girl."

"I don’t understand."

"Badly enough to have killed the mother for it."

"I still..."

"The little girl's gone, Mr. Hope. Whoever killed Victoria Miller took the little girl with him."

What b
Published 1994 by Hodder And Stoughton (first published June 26th 1981)

Cathy DuPont
When I started this series, not knowing it was a series at all, I read in this order: First read in the series was #4, then #5, then #1 and lastly, this book #2, Rumpelstiltskin. Therefore I was already familiar with attorney Matthew Hope and his personal situation, divorced with a lovely 13 year old daughter, dating but unattached.

When I entered Rumpelstiltskin on Goodreads, I noticed that my buddy Jim Thane had read it and had given it three stars. When I emailed him he said he couldn’t belie
Reid
Mar 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad crime pulp. Written competently and it maintained my interest. A few laws were explained along the way, about wills and warrants, and such. The sex seemed a bit gratuitous - not excessive, but there strictly for bland entertainment and to make the two lead characters seem oh so hot and desirable. Also, the lead character is a lawyer, but somehow manages to find himself at the heart of the investigation, meaning he's doing the investigating and putting most of the facts together. But, it ...more
Gerald Kinro
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Former Sixties rock star Victoria Miller finally relents and performs on stage. She no longer has it. Ten she is murdered, brutaly. Her six-year-old daughter Allison is missing. So who is to benefit? Matthew hope comes forward, trying to solve it all. She is the beneficiary of a huge sum in a trust set up by her father. If she does not survive, Allison gets it all.

This one rocks. I felt the tension and emotion that Hope and his characters emitted. This one is well structured with clues artfully
Laura Noto
Cathy Ryan
This was my first Matthew Hope mystery, actually my first of any of Ed McBain's books. A good story coupled with an excellent narration made for an enjoyable listen. And although several references dated the story a little it didn't really detract. I like Matthew Hope and the tongue in cheek humour, the characters are rounded and believable. In essence it's a good old fashioned whodunit.
I have to say though, it seemed a little odd and unnecessary to spend so much time discussing the whys and whe
Lee
Apr 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
From the back cover of the book: She's a rock star of the Sixties, hungry for a comeback. He's a divorced lawyer working to put his own life back together. Their one-night stand is brief but torrid. When the next day, she is found brutally murdered and her six-year-old daughter is missing, Matthew Hope inherits love's toughest labor-hunting down the culprit who may not stop at kidnapping and murder.
Rkutler
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I like this period, though I never expected to get interested in a Florida setting, having lived through the worst vacation there...Hope seems to be drawn into solving crimes almost against his will, and the fairy tale themes are intriguing, as they are less obvious than you would expect due to McBain's fine writing.
Cws
Oct 16, 2008 added it
Shelves: mystery
M McB
Hubjeanne
Another easy read that kept my attention. I'm okay with that.
Tommyb
May 01, 2009 added it
Shelves: 11-21-2007, 6-40
Fiction
Phillip III
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read this a long time ago. Long before Goodreads. And wanted to add it to my "Read" collection. Best I recall -- Loved it!
Charles
Jul 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another good entry in the Matthew Hope series. I enjoyed it, and the ending raised it up a notch to take it to four stars.
Lauren Albert
  • Candyland
  • The Eighth Commandment
  • Goodbye, Janette
  • Under The Andes
  • Motor City Blue (Amos Walker, #1)
  • A Flash of Green (Fawcett Gold Medal)
  • The Canary Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #2)
  • Rules of Prey / Shadow Prey / Eyes of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #1-3)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Goodbye Look
  • Skull-Face
  • The Death of an Irish Sea Wolf (Peter McGarr, #12)
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2002
  • Out the Window (A Matthew Scudder Story)
  • Fire-Tongue
  • A Bridge for Passing
  • Hero (Metsada Mercenary Corps, #4)
  • Saint Meets His Match
"Ed McBain" is one of the pen names of American author and screenwriter Salvatore Albert Lombino (1926 – 2005), who legally adopted the name Evan Hunter in 1952. While successful and well known as Evan Hunter, he was even better known as Ed McBain, a name he used for most of his crime fiction, beginning in 1956.

He also used the pen names John Abbott, Curt Cannon, Hunt Collins, Ezra Hannon, Dean Hu
More about Ed McBain...

Matthew Hope (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Goldilocks (Matthew Hope, #1)
  • Beauty And The Beast (Matthew Hope, #3)
  • Jack and the Beanstalk (Matthew Hope, #4)
  • Snow White and Rose Red
  • Cinderella (Matthew Hope, #6)
  • Puss in Boots
  • The House That Jack Built (Matthew Hope, #8)
  • Three Blind Mice
  • Mary, Mary
  • There Was A Little Girl (Matthew Hope, #11)