Start by marking “Christmas at Carol's” as Want to Read:
Christmas at Carol's

Christmas at Carol's

Carol Gabriel hates Christmas. Not just a little bit, but quite a damn lot.

She can’t even stand having a boyfriend over the Christmas period and habitually dumps them just before the season begins.

Even the restaurant she co-owns, a French bistro called Carol’s, doesn’t do a Christmas menu and it doesn’t do Christmas decoration, either.

But then she gets some bad news;
Published October 19th 2015 by Endeavour Press

To ask other readers questions about Christmas at Carol's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas at Carol's

Start your review of Christmas at Carol's
Rachel Gilbey
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Christmas at Carols will tantalise your tastebuds, and make you long to eat at Carol's restaurant. The food descriptions are sublime, and I honestly thought I could taste some of the flavours that were coming through in the cooking.

The tone of the book is very friendly and chatty. It's as though Carol was talking directly to the reader, and telling her the story of this Christmas period at the restaurant, in the way she remembers things. Occasionally going off on a slight tangent, or c
Renee
Dec 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2015
I flicked between hot and cold with this novel. I didn't really like the writing style, but then found myself absorbed in the story. I thought the cooking scenes were overly descriptive, but then found myself salivating over the food. I loved the characters though and I'd love to go to Carol's for a meal one day. ...more
Sarah Amin
Mar 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I was not at all a fan of the writing style and thought carol went on way too many tangents. It was a cute story in the end, but had quite odd ways of getting there.
Mary Schmidt
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!

First, this book is almost without errors which is awesome. I loved this story. Honestly, at times I laughed out loud as it is good - GREAT! Kudos to the author for such a dramatic, funny, loving Christmas romance read! Happy New Year with more bubbles and fuzz! PS: This book will make you hungry.
Warren Laine-Naida
Loved it! Very nice read this week on the train into work and back. LOVED the food ideas, wines, the whole feel of Carols Bistro! Was great!!
Joan

I am ambivalent about this novel for a couple of reasons. Firstly, its in first person present tense which I find hard to enjoy Secondly, I loathed Carol from the start. She came over as selfish, heartless and totally spoilt.

(view spoiler)
Jenn
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, re-read, christmas
12/7/17
Rereading because I didn't bring a new book to work and can't find any new free ones on Amazon lol. And again, I wish it was so much longer! I actually really love this story. Bumping up to 4 stars.

11/23/15
I enjoyed this little story for the most part. It had a great premise and the "atmosphere" of the restaurant was divine. I loved all the characters and the food yum. Don't read this book while hungry, that's for sure! However, the cooking bits went a little too far. Sometimes
Grass monster
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book from begining to end. Carol engaged with the readers, it felt like she was talking to us directly the whole way through.
I was totally lost in all the French dishes being brought to life, the story made them all sound so devine. Although its a Christmas read it wasnt over the top as Carol didnt like that time of year due to her ex dumping her one Christmas. Parts of this story were close to home for me and at times i knew exactly what Carol was going through and had been through.
Lisa Ferrell
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
At the beginning, I didn't think I would like this book. The main character came across as flaky and constantly switched topics of conversation. Then I remembered that I talk like that at times, so I didn't have any trouble following along. The more I got to know the main character, the more I liked her, and the group of people she works with are all great as well. I wish it was a little longer or there was a sequel so I could have a little more closure, but otherwise it was a great story I know ...more
Emma
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have read previous works by the author and enjoyed them so when i heard she was bringing another book out I was excited, beginning the book for me was hard as I had just come down from a previous book I had been reading so I didn't find it easy to get into this one. However when I did I really enjoyed all the characters and the story my mouth kept watering after all the recipes that that they were cooking, this book made me laugh in all the right places and made it so I didn't want to put it d ...more
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A funny tale of a not so funny business situation. Carol, the owner of a French bistro, is told she has business problems by her accountant. She happens to be dating him but dumps him. It is Christmas time. Not liking Christmas, her and her employees work to figure out what they need to do to boost business. Why wouldn't anyone like Christmas? Will her business succeed and will she ever love Christmas again? ...more
Susie Davison
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very Enjoyable!

This was a very enjoyable Christmas story. I liked the way the story was told - as if you were actually in a conversation with Carol. It was also not the normal Christmas time love story but a comical fun story. I would recommend this to anyone that enjoys some humor in their reading material.
Jackie Roche
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. My usual books are full of blood and guts so this was a delightful change.
However, a warning: Do not read this in public as severe giggling will guarantee very strange looks!
This has got great characters that you'd love to meet.
The descriptions of the food and the music made me want to find out more about them.
I could quite happily read more about "Carol's" and her staff.
Deb Beaulieu
Nov 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
Didn't like

I couldn't enjoy this book at all. The writing was choppy and the being in Carol's thought was too strange. I read 3 chapters and then quickly went to the end. I would not recommend this book. This is the first time I have written a bad review but this book was unreadable for me.
Jacy
Jan 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute little story. Quick read. The characters are great. I love the stories of Roksana. Carol hates Christmas, the whole season, but to turn her restaurant around, she has to do something different. Some advice from her mom and the enthusiasm of her partner and staff changes everything. And I do mean everything!
Wanda
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Stream of consciousness

Fun trip through authors mind in a well crafted story about saving a small business run by a tightly knit group of friends. It's all about the characters. Especially enjoyed Roxanne.
Sarah W
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fab funny book with just the right amount of Christmas cheer. The descriptions of the food made me so hungry, especially for the chocolate brownie. My only gripe ... It ended quite suddenly... Quite odd.
Tami Elam
Nov 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Yummy

A quick read. It was hard to read this and not get hungry. Not too deep of a plot, characters are a bit of a stretch, but its all about the food. I'd go there and eat!
Linda
Couldn't get into this story.. Didn't like the female lead in it at all. ...more
Heidi
Dec 18, 2015 rated it liked it
It started out incredibly slow and then the back and forth ("remind me to tell you about that later") was a bit annoying. It eventually picked up and ended up being a cute read. ...more
Michelle
Nov 20, 2015 rated it liked it
A really cute story combining a restaurant owner and the Christmas season! Unexpected plot but overall a chance to reconnect with the season.
Pam
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great read

I almost stopped reading after the first chapter because I'm not fond of narratives. But by the end of the second chapter I was hooked.
Anna
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Made me want to go to the fabulous sounding restaurant.
Angie Wollschlager
Nov 06, 2018
rosemarie nunez
Nov 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Wedding Gift (Four Weddings and a Fiasco, #1)
  • A Groom with a View
  • Christmas at Aunt Elsie's: a delightfully festive, feel-good romance and the perfect Christmas treat.
  • Bed of Roses (Bride Quartet, #2)
  • Happy Ever After (Bride Quartet, #4)
  • For Love or Money: A laugh out loud, heartwarming romantic comedy
  • The Girl Who Loved Cayo Bradley
  • Holly's Christmas Countdown
  • Girl in a Spin
  • A Brambleberry Manor Christmas (The Little Duck Pond Cafe #14)
  • One More for Christmas
  • Christmas Lights and Snowball Fights
  • Just for Christmas (Seahorse Harbour Book 3)
  • The Middle-Aged Virgin in Italy (The Middle-Aged Virgin, #2)
  • Single All The Way
  • Sweet Medley: A Poetic Joy
  • At First Sight : 50 Quick-Read Romances
  • Noel's Hart: A Small Town Minnesota Valentine's Day Romance (The Snowberry Series Book 3)
Nicola Yeager is a writer and book reviewer. After several years working as a journalist for a variety of publications, she started writing novellas. Her first in the chick lit genre, The Spa Day, was a critical success and an Amazon best seller. She followed this up with Picture Imperfect, which continued the gritty, witty, first person style of her debut and was also a best seller. After two nov ...more

News & Interviews