Start by marking “Bear Feels Scared” as Want to Read:
Bear Feels Scared

Bear Feels Scared

(Bear)

Bad weather frightens Bear, but his woodland friends are there to help him in this sweet, reassuring Bear story from bestselling duo Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman!

In the deep, dark woods
by the Strawberry Vale,
a big bear lumbers
down a small, crooked trail

The sun is setting and its getting chilly. When Bears friends discover that he is not at home in his lair, they march
Published August 5th 2008 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Bear Feels Scared, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear Feels Scared

Start your review of Bear Feels Scared
Banny Kirsten Marie Reviews
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Okay before i start my review i want to make a quick shoutout to my new friends who i love and cherish every single day...
Teresa
Barbara Burgress
Jerome P.
Karen Mcquestion
Sue Ward
And anyone else that i may have missed even if we have only talked once your all big parts of my life and this review goes out to all of you lots of love!

Bear feels scared was one of the cutest kids picture books that i have ever read! The
Erin
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
My 3 year old nephew chose this as the bedtime story last night. Bear gets lost in the woods and his animal friends need to come and save him. There is a rhythm to the text and the illustrations are beautiful. A cute story.
Nina
Nov 24, 2012 added it
Bear feels Scared by Karma Wilson is a compassionate story using rhyme and clear structure about a Bear is in the woods and hungry, but due to cold weather decides to give up his search for food and go home to his cozy cave. On his return it gets dark and Bear stop by a base of a tree, shaking with fear. Wondering where he is his two friends, Wren and Badger go out into the storm to look for Bear. They eventually find Bear and calm his fears.

This is a book suitable for pre- school up until class
Emily Woodard
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked it but it was a little bit boring.
Viviane Elbee
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Very cute, rhyming story for fans of Bear, who has starred in several other books by Karma Wilson.
The friend search party is a fun idea, and some children may relate to Bear's fear of storms and being lost.
Kids enjoyed this book and voted to give it 5 stars.
Danielle Mootz
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Little mind blowing to my son that a,bear could be scared but he came to the conclusion that he must be a big kid. Sweet story.
David
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
My favorite art of the Bear series and a comforting little story as well.
Sara Andrews
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Bear Feels Scared is a wonderful book that helps guide and express emotional and social development. The sing-song lyrical prose and beautifully illustrated pages bring the main character Bears emotions to life with vivid color and expression. The book highlights the importance of friendship, self awareness, and teamwork, all the while conveying to the reader a sense of emotional connection and empathy for the lost Bear.

The story is a about a bear who is hungry and goes out to look for a snack.
Brenda
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
In the same vein as Bear Snores On and Bear Stays Up, author Karma Wilson has brought a wonderful addition to the Bear stories. I especially love the illustrations of the wind swept grass and how the tension increases as the pictures get darker with night approaching. That contrasted with the warm colors inside his cave are really wonderful. What's most touching is the cover and why all the animals are huddled together.
Thu Nguyen
This book is so cute. Usually the bear is the scary animal, but in this book, the bear is lost and scared. And all his little friends have to go out and search for him. This book teaches children about friendship. We can talk about different things that we can do for a friend. We can talk about feelings thqt children might. Have. What do they do when they are scared? This book an open many great discussion with children.
Chelsea
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
1. Bear Feels Scared
2. This book teaches that feeling scared is okay and helping others.
3. This is a great book for children to teach them to not wonder too far from familiar places and to keep an eye out for their friends. I can use this in the classroom to help children to be aware if someone in the class is missing.
Matthew
Apr 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Bear gets lost ten feet from his cage and a storm hits. His friends go out and find and they all end up happily snoozing in the cave together. Another happy ending. Well done.
Kathy
Apr 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
We like the Bear Books by Karma Wilson. This is another good book. Bear gets lost in the woods in a storm and is scared.
Literary  Chanteuse
Great illustration! Bear's expressions say it all.
Suzanne Kunz Williams
Bear gets scared in a storm. What will happen to him?

Talking Points - What are you afraid of? Tell me about the times in your life have you felt the most scared? When you are scared who do you turn to for comfort? How do you help yourself feel more safe and be more safe.

Essential Oil Pairing Tips - Feeling Scared? Try putting on some of doTERRA's Brave essential oil blend. It has cinnamon in it (which they say is the superman oil, the oil you want to put on or diffuse when you'd love superman to
Moore, Maureen
The book Bear Feels Scared by is classified as juvenile fiction; targeting ages 2 to 4 for grades pre-K and up. The illustrations really set the tone; this story is a good social/emotional selection it lets children know that it is okay to be scared, gives children strategies on how to conquer their fears with a strong emphasis on seeking friends/family for comfort and support too. A parent or educator reading this book to children should also add additional strategies on how to cope with fear ...more
Logan Phillips
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book does a few things that I thought made it stick out. First, the illustrator does a great job of showing wind and movement with her brush stroke direction. Second, the colors have an overshadow of grey which makes the storm feel more realistic. This book would be part of my Illustrator study and acrylic art text set as they tie in with other work done by Jane Chapman, and demonstrate a technique of the art style.
A Allen
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
One of the better books in this series in my opinion. I like Bear's friends' resolve to find him since he hadn't returned yet. I wish there were descriptions of the physical sensations of fear, which might help children identify their own feelings and relate to the bear. Seems like a missed opportunity to me, but that is something I can include in my class discussion.
Meghan GTC
The illustrations are my favorite part about this book! I love the use of colors and the fact that the bear remained constant on almost every page. There is a good use of language to help children better understand their emotions. This would be a great book to use to teach about social and emotional sills.
Ten_zillions
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book uses a bear to display to young children that no matter how big you are, it is okay to have and express your feelings. In this case, to feel scared. The author, Karma Wilson, does a good job of introducing coping skills and self-awareness to preschoolers. She also spotlights the importance of family, friends, and how we can all work together for the greater good.

Becky B
Bear is out when the sun sets and a storm hits and he gets frozen with fear. His friends notice he hasn't returned and set out to rescue their friend.

A sweet picture of how true friends help each other out in times of need that is told in rhyme. I love the illustrations in this, and kids should love all the different animals.
CMReichard Family
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Bear books are a WONDERFUL series for your young readers. These are great books for your beginning reader to start to read out loud. The rhyming text and beautiful illustrations make this a fun book to read. And as a parent, I appreciate that Wilson also includes a wonderful message with each of her stories.
Lillian Hazzard
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely adorable! The illustrations all clearly match the text and can clearly be seen from far away. Bear's friends set a great example for children about what to do when a friend is afraid so this may be a great book to have either in the class's library and to read when talking about friendship.
Olivia Slykhuis
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this. The rhythm and rhyme are similar to Bear Snores On, and work well. Poor Bear gets lost in the woods during a storm, and feels scared and alone. His friends, back at his den, get worried about him and go find him and bring him home safe and sound. A good story about feeling scared, even if you're a big giant bear. Would use for Scared/Brave storytime.
Manal Cheikh
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wonderful book that helps guide and express emotional and social development. The book highlights the importance of friendship, self awareness, and teamwork. I love when the Bear is rescued by his friends and feels safe at the end.
Myka Shetler
Genre: Fantasy
Grade Level: K-2
This book is another great book in an amazing series. I think this book can be a great teaching tool. You can read it and explain why friends are important and to also never give up no matter how scary the situation may be. I would recommend this book to anyone.
Sterlande Altidor
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a good book to teach young children how to conquer their fears. This is a great story about friendship and letting fear get the best of us. The story line have a nice flow and very simple for young children. The artwork is beautiful and detailed.
Jo Oehrlein
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When a dark night and a storm conspire to keep Bear from his lair, he's scared.
When he doesn't return to his lair, his friends worry and mount a search party.

Luckily, they find him and bring him home.
Together with his friends, Bear feels safe.
Goshen PL Childrens
Read for Storytime October 31st
Theme: Spooky Stories

Cute Bear story that made kids snuggle closer when we read it. Bear's fear of the storm and being lost was something thy could relate to. But have no fear, Bear's friends are on the way to rescue Bear.
Anita Marlin
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
The illustrations are cute and adorable. It gave children some ways to talk about what someone might be afraid of, and what someone who is afraid might look like, and what we can do if we think someone/friends is afraid. It is simple and easy story, good for young children.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?
  • Pumpkin Trouble
  • A Hat for Minerva Louise
  • Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes
  • Mouse Loves Snow
  • The Very Busy Spider
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could doshe read or ...more

Bear (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Bear Snores On