Start by marking “Lifelong Writing Habit: The Secret to Writing Every Day” as Want to Read:
Lifelong Writing Habit: The Secret to Writing Every Day

Lifelong Writing Habit: The Secret to Writing Every Day

(Write Faster, Write Smarter #2)

Are you tired of writing intermittently? Would you like to install a lifelong writing habit, one that gets your butt in the chair every single day? Then this is the book for you. Lifelong Writing Habit draws on well tested neuroscience to help you install a daily writing habit that will endure for life. It contains a simple to understand system, with actionable steps at th ...more
Published October 9th 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

Debbie Young
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to write books or does already write books
Recommended to Debbie by: author Stella Wilkinson
Every writer who is serious about their ambitions as an author should read this excellent, succinct and motivating book, which acts like a cheerleader as well as providing practical, actionable tasks to fulfil the promise of the title. It provides a clear structure for you to build a regular daily writing habit that fits into your life. If you don't get into a regular writing habit after reading this book, maybe you don't really want to be a writer. A must-read for all aspiring authors. Potentia ...more
Natalie Noland
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
The guy isn't a great writer, and there was more than one error that should have been caught in a line edit. Nevertheless, I read it in about an hour (granted it's required for one of my classes, but still). I've gotta say there's some good stuff in here that's definitely motivating me to get on it, but that's kind of all the good I can say about the book.
Kelsey
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is life-changing. Or at least it could be! I hope it is!!!
Tonya Burrows
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good tips here.
Chris Wolak
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I was looking for some motivation to help revive my anemic writing practice. This was a good start.
Emily Wrayburn
This book definitely has a lot good tips that every writer could benefit from. However, my main issue with both this and 5000 Words Per Hour was the kind of "my way or the highway" approach to the method being set out, and the implications that you're not a serious writer unless you do all these things. Not to mention, the reasonably frequent mentions of the author's six-figure salary and ability to write four books a year, which I know was supposed to be motivating but had the opposite effect f ...more
Nina del Arce
As I used to have a working consistent writing habit - but slipped - this book didn't necessarily contain a ton of new information for me. That said, it was a nice, no-nonsense reminder of the things required to set up a consistent habit. It will likely also be useful to writers who haven't managed to establish a routine yet, but my guess is it will be most effective for those who already have a strong internal drive. This book gives you tools - you need to supply the motivation to actually use ...more
Emma Sea
A solid book. A concise explanation of the best habit-forming advice, which is frankly better than wading through a 270-page book for 4 pages of content. Fox's writing style is engaging. The exercises are usefully specific, and collating them together at the end of the book is an excellent idea.

Jason
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Short but surprisingly good and crammed with excellent content and information. Plan to read more in the series.
Suz Jay
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-writing
Practical, straight-forward book with solid advice on establishing a writing habit.

This book contains no extraneous filler and instead lays out a 12 step plan to get you writing and keep you writing.

Bonus, all of the exercises are compiled at the back of the book for people who prefer to do the exercises after reading the entire book.

I look forward to reading the other books in the series.
Melissa Storm
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My least favorite of the books in this series, but still valuable and still better than what any other writing guru puts out there. I'm ready for more Chris Fox!
Mary Hiker
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Info

This book is kind of like Tony Robbins meets authors.....and I love that.
Good tips and strategies that I will be implementing.
Joy Pixley
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This may be a small book but it packs a lot of good advice into those pages. I know that I'm a creature of habit, and that I've gotten into some bad habits over the years. So I could really relate to Chris Fox's message that the key to becoming a more productive writer is to form new, good habits. But first you have to figure out exactly what you want to accomplish, and take a good hard look at your current schedule and habits.

By the way, there isn't much that's specific to writing fiction in t
Dey
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Chris Fox is one of those, “I did it and you can too,” motivators. He’s lost over 100lbs, created a job writing apps, then worked hard to create a successful writing career - successful enough that he left his job and is now writing full-time. In addition to fiction, he has a series of 5 nonfiction books for writers.

I appreciate that he’s BTDT, and I also think his strategies will work best for folks who are neurotypical and primarily intrinsically motivated. His suggestions are a combination o
Angel Haze
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the final book of Chris Fox's writing books (currently) and that's a sad thought.

This book was so much more than I thought it would be. It was like a Tony Robbins book, but for writers. Short, yet very powerful. Something every writer should read. Too many authors wait for the inspiration to write, but if you want to be a successful author, you need to create lifelong habits. This book provides the keys to do just that.

It has to be more than inspiration, willpower, and motivation driving
Skye Hegyes
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
While I don't agree with all of Fox's theories about writing to market, I do like the ideas and theories he mentions about writing and forming a habit to write every day. There are a lot of things he mentioned that I don't do, but want to implement in my life, and there are other things that I already do, but can improve upon. I love reading about other authors' regimes and how they go about getting their writing and editing done, how they schedule their projects, so this was interesting for tha ...more
Nan Sampson
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just what I needed!

Thanks, Chris, for the well-administered kick in the posterior! I have set my alarm for 5:15 (a half-hour earlier) tomorrow and will commence accumulating wordage. Still looking for that picture of my house on a crystal clear lake. I'm open to suggestions! To every one else, if you want to achieve something, especially writing-related, buy, read and follow the advice in this book. Hands-down, the best writing advice I've ever read. Chris Fox rocks! (Dude, you seriously need th
Audrey
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Struggle to write every day? Not anymore!

This book provides a fantastic dive into habits, the mechanics of a habit, and how we can create our own lifelong writing habit. With exercises, explanations, examples, and a few short but relevant anecdotes, Chris Fox offers us a path to bringing to reality our vision of our dream writing life. You definitely don't want to miss this book!
Jeff Willis
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of practical, motivational tips to help inspire writers to get their butts in the chair. While some might argue that you don't really need a book to tell you that, what I liked about this book was that it outlined specific practices and steps you could take to accomplish that, which is a great resource for those of us who have a limited amount of time, problems finding motivation, etc. Well worth a read.
Priya
There are a lot of good ideas in the book but the writing lags. It seems that the author wrote this book in a bit of a hurry and without a lot of research. The famed Harvard study about written goals features here (the study which never happened) as is the four minute mile (which I think has become requisite mention in every book ever).

So the good is here but is marred by average writing and poor research.
Claudia
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Not bad. At times it was less about writing and more about productivity in general, but you won't hear me complain. Lately I've been developing a taste for productivity books so it was fine.
It also mentions The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg, which has been on my TBR for a long time (I might read it soon, maybe).

This book made me realise that I'm not being serious about my writing and I need to get my ass on the chair. Good wake up call for whoever needs it.
Y.I. Washington
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A New Start

This is one of the books I've been searching for to help me get on and stay on the writing path.

Chris Fox gives practical and doable exercises that will, along with your willingness and drive, help you buckle down and create new habits that will lead to a life of writing.

I will amend this review in 3 weeks to give proof that this works (as I fully believe it will).
Yufei Ge
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm not going to do my usual fiction review skeletons on self-help books.

This was good! It's no fluff - short book. Do the exercises and it makes sense. I think it's written in a very motivating way.

The habit programming is the real deal. Just from science.

Nothing fancy - but it'll get the job done provided that you have the motivation.
Roxianne
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great advice

Thanks to this book, I've reestablished my daily writing practice. I used to have difficulty figuring out how to find the time, but Chris Fox had great suggestions for making time, even though I'm a teacher who also works an extra job doing after school , (60+ hours a week)
Anne Iglesias
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I thought I had the habit of writing down pretty good, even though I was taking a "break" while working on other aspects of authorship (lol), I realized how I could do better. I was reminded of the importance of visualization, being mindful of the energy (positive/negative) of those around me, and of doing the most important thing of the day first.
L.M.
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing-tips
This was another great read by Chris Fox. The tips in here would apply to any habit you want to cultivate, not just writing and I found it to be very helpful. I look forward to reading more from him in the future.
Clayton C Webb
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it
It was definitely motivating, but i feel like it was more about getting me to buy his next book so he can be a rich successful writer than it was about giving me real tools. There was some helpful stuff inside though.
Senzanom
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
A reasonable message, and generally effective approach to building a habit, but the overarching message comes off as more redundant than reassuring. A good third of the book felt like filler, and that's saying something for a 60 page book.
Deborah
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good, very informative and encouraging.

I’ve read this and 5000 Words Per Minute. Something about Chris’s style encourages me to write and makes me believe I can actually be good at it.
Maria
May 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: writing, self-help
Rather boring, self-promotional book. The author prattled on about hard work and discipline, as if it was some kind of secret nobody already knew about. As for the writing style itself, it was choppy and repetitive. What a waste of time.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please update Versions of Chris Fox books 6 17 Sep 11, 2019 07:14PM

• Write Better, Faster: How To Triple Your Writing Speed and Write More Every Day
  • The Mental Game of Writing: How to Overcome Obstacles, Stay Creative and Productive, and Free Your Mind for Success
  • Writing into the Dark: How to Write a Novel without an Outline
  • The Successful Author Mindset: A Handbook for Surviving the Writer's Journey
  • Take Off Your Pants! Outline Your Books for Faster, Better Writing
  • 500 Ways to Write Harder
  • Structuring Your Novel: Essential Keys for Writing an Outstanding Story
  • Write Every Day: How to Write Faster, and Write More (Rock Your Writing, #4)
  • Iterate And Optimize: Optimize Your Creative Business for Profit (The Smarter Artist Book 3)
  • Writing Habit Mastery - How to Write 2,000 Words a Day and Forever Cure Writer’s Block
  • Fiction Unboxed
  • The Writer's Guide to Training Your Dragon: Using Speech Recognition Software to Dictate Your Book and Supercharge Your Writing Workflow (Dictation Mastery for PC and Mac)
  • Romancing the Beat: Story Structure for Romance Novels (How to Write Kissing Books Book 1)
  • DIY MFA: Write with Focus, Read with Purpose, Build Your Community
  • Holly Lisle's Create a Character Clinic
By day I am an iPhone developer architecting the app used to scope Stephen Colbert’s ear. By night I am Batman. Ok maybe not. One can dream though, right?

I’ve been writing since I was six years old and started inflicting my work on others at age 18. By age 24 people stopped running away when I approached them with a new story and shortly thereafter I published my first one in the Rifter.

Wait you’r

Write Faster, Write Smarter (7 books)
  • 5,000 Words Per Hour: Write Faster, Write Smarter
  • Write to Market: Deliver a Book that Sells (Write Faster, Write Smart, #3)
  • Launch to Market: Easy Marketing For Authors (Write Faster, Write Smarter, #4)
  • Six Figure Author: Using Data to Sell Books (Write Faster, Write Smarter Book 5)
  • Relaunch Your Novel: Breathe Life Into Your Backlist (Write Faster, Write Smarter Book 6)
  • Plot Gardening: Write Faster, Write Smarter
“Remember, you're the sum of your peer group. If you associate with people who have no ambition and spend all their time getting high and playing video games, then that's what you're going to become. This happens because we are a tribal species. Your standards will rise or fall to match the people you associate with.” 1 likes
“early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise'.” 0 likes