Start by marking “La Emperatriz tras el velo (Trilogía Taj Mahal, #1)” as Want to Read:
La Emperatriz tras el velo (Trilogía Taj Mahal, #1)

La Emperatriz tras el velo (Taj Mahal Trilogy #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  11,135 Ratings  ·  1,262 Reviews
Se cría en el entorno del gran harén imperial, y desde niña, cuando lo ve por primera vez, sueña casarse con el príncipe Salim, pero no sabe entonces el alto precio que tanto ella como su familia deberán pagar para ver ese sueño cumplido. Entrelazando la textura de los hechos históricos con la sensual imaginación, Sundaresan relata la epopeya de Mehrunnisa y su lucha por e ...more
Published April 30th 2003 by Grijalbo Mondadori Sa (first published January 29th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about La Emperatriz tras el velo, please sign up.

NabilaSyifaS The story of Anarkali was originally written by Indian writer Abdul Halim Shahar, and on the first page of the book he had clearly mentioned it to be…moreThe story of Anarkali was originally written by Indian writer Abdul Halim Shahar, and on the first page of the book he had clearly mentioned it to be a work of fiction. But the love story of Jahangir and Nur Jahan (Mehrunissa) is true. Hope it helps!
Source: Wikipedia and some Indian History Books(less)

Yosita Oramahi
Jul 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished reading this book quite some time ago back in 2004 and it left quite a deep impact on me and the way I see things. The genre is still historical fiction, one of my favourites, written by a very talented Indian author, Indu Sundaresan. The story takes us to 15th century Mughal India, about the journey of a remarkable woman that would later in her life play a great role in the ruling of one of India’s greatest emperor, Jahangir, or formerly known as Prince Salim. Like most Indian author ...more
Maruf Hossain
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: who loves fictions based on mughal empire
খারাপ লাগাটা খুব সহজেই পরকাশ করে ফেলতে পারলেও ভালো লাগার অনুভূতিগুলো আমার খুব সংকষিপত হয়, ঠিক উপযুকত ভাষা খুঁজে পাই না। ঠিক এ ঘটনাটি-ই ঘটেছে এই অনুবাদ পড়তে গিয়ে। অনুবাদের ভূমিকায় অনুবাদক বলেছেন তিনি অনেক সময় নিয়ে যতন করে বইটি অনুবাদ করেছেন। তাঁর এ কথার সতযতা সপষট করে ধরা পড়েছে বইটি পড়ার সময়। একবারও মনে হয়নি অনুবাদ পড়ছি। মূল বইটি আমার পড়া নেই, তবে আমার মনে হয় লেখিকা যদি বাংলায় লিখতেন তাহলে ঠিক এই ভাষাতেই লিখতেন বইটি। আর বইটি আমার ফেভারিট জনরা ইতিহাসের বলে সবাদ বেড়ে গেছে কয়েকগুণ। অনুবাদক পাঠকদের য ...more
K
Aug 27, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Philippa Gregory-style historical romance who don't need great character development
If you like Philippa Gregory and her genre of Harlequin romance-cum-historical fiction, there’s a good possibility you’ll like this book. Personally, I just couldn’t get into it. I read the first 50 pages, skimmed the next 240 just for the sake of writing a better-informed review, and couldn’t make myself plod through the last 90. That should tell you something.

The setting, late 1500s India, was definitely original and interesting but wasn’t enough to carry the story for me, especially when it b
Debbie
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hypnotic. Intoxicating. Bright & Brilliant. Engrossing.

What can I say about The Twentieth Wife ? I think I may not have enough adjectives in my vocabulary to sing its praises. I loved this book. To the very end I was engrossed and intertwined in this tale of royal romance, tradition, history and struggle for control of the throne in the 1500’s Mogul empire.

I’ve passed this book numerous times. I don’t know why it took me so long to pick it up but if I had known that I would be wonderfull
Chrissie
I have listened to the entire audiobook. I deserve four stars for doing this, but I award the book only two.

I think it proper to award two stars rather than one simply because I did learn about the Mughal Empire – historical facts, customs and way of life.

******************************

I have listened to about 1/6 of the audio version. It is just totally terrible!
Mehunrissa, the girl that will eventually become the twentieth wife of Jahangir, the fourth Mughal Emperor, is infatuated from the ag
Kate
Dec 20, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of Memoirs of A Geisha
The first thing that I thought once I put this book down was that it would be great to recommend to people who read "Memoirs of A Geisha" (I work in a bookstore). It has all the same basic elements: girl overcoming difficult childhood, unrequited love, obstacle after obstacle, etc. The setting for this novel is India and while it is similar to "Memoirs" the book is not merely a duplication in a different country. If you do read this book and enjoy it there is also a follow-up book: Feast of Rose ...more
Tushi
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
মুঘল সামরাজয আর সাথে সমরাট আর তাদের জীবনে ঘটে যাওয়ার কাহিনী। হয়তো কিছুটা কলপনা মিশরিত আছে কিনতু সতযের উপরেই কাঠামোটা তৈরি করেছে লেখিকা। বলে ছিলাম আমার ইতিহাস ভালো লাগে না। কিনতু ইতিহাস মিশরিত এমন উপনযাস ভালো না লেগে কোথায় যাবে।

নূরজাহান আর সেলিমের কথা অনেক শুনেছি। একটা গানও ছোটবেলায় শুনেছিলাম ""নূরজাহান ! নূরজাহান ! সিনধু নদীতে ভেসে, এলে মেঘলামতীর দেশে ইরানী গুলিসতান ""। পড়ার পর মনে হল ও আচছা এই কাহিনী।
সতযিই বাসতব ও যে কখনো অবাসতব লাগে তা একমাতর সমরাটদের জীবন যাপন ই পরমাণ। এর নেকসটের পারট দরুত
Mizuki
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't like the romance between Mehrunnisa (a.k.a Empress Nur Jahan) and the Emperor much, but the rest of the book: the struggle of a young girl finding a place for herself and her family in a male-centered ancient Indian society, the power struggle within the harem, the politic at the royal court, the description of the Mughal Empire, is pretty intriguing.

Seriously speaking, I can understand somehow Prince Salim(later Emperor Jahangir) developed a strong crush on the young and charming Mehru
Sangeetha Ramachandran
This is what I like about historical fiction, the power they possess to take us with them. This story is about the twentieth and the most beloved wife of Jahangir.
When I started this book I had no idea about Mughal empire other than few details I read in history classes and what I inferred from movie Jodha Akbar. A well researched work which talks not only about the great Empress but also of the landscapes, politics and culture.

This will be one of the books where I didn't care much about the sto
Shayantani Das
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is lush in its description of mughal landscapes; from the colourful court life, to the intrigue ridden harems, the attires and festivities, the wars and betrayals, everything is painted in deft strokes and brought to life quite beautifully by Indu Sundaresan. Something remains to be desired from the character building, especially that of Jahangir but the plot kept me hooked through this excruciatingly long journey of courtship. So 4 stars.
Vaginal Fantasy B...: Main Discussion: Twentieth Wife *SPOILERS* 41 299 Jan 04, 2017 06:51PM
Vaginal Fantasy B...: * Questions for our 1/4/17 HANGOUT! 7 285 Jan 04, 2017 05:11PM
Historical FIction - Mughal Era 1 12 Jun 03, 2015 12:19PM
The twentieth wife 19 97 Jun 30, 2014 12:46PM
Really Good Egyptian Historical Fiction- Recommendations Needed 2 42 Mar 11, 2012 07:13AM
  • The Temple Dancer (Novels of India #1)
  • Beneath a Marble Sky
  • Cracking India
  • The Village Bride of Beverly Hills
  • The Rice Mother
  • Wisdom's Daughter: A Novel of Solomon and Sheba
Indu Sundaresan was born in India and grew up on Air Force bases all over the country. Her father, a fighter pilot, was also a storyteller—managing to keep his audiences captive and rapt with his flair for drama and timing. He got this from his father, Indu's grandfather, whose visits were always eagerly awaited. Indu's love of stories comes from both of them, from hearing their stories based on i ...more
More about Indu Sundaresan...

Taj Mahal Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Feast of Roses (Taj Mahal Trilogy, #2)
  • Shadow Princess (Taj Mahal Trilogy, #3)
“No, no, don’t touch your mother just before the baby is born. Now it will be a girl child, because you are one. Run along now. Take your evil eye with you.”

“Ghias, we must be careful not to teach the girls too much. How will they ever find husbands if they are too learned? The less they know, the less they will want of the outside world.”
12 likes
“This great Mughal Emperor [Akbar] was illiterate; he could neither read nor write. However, that had not stopped Akbar from cultivating the acquaintance of the most learned and cultured poets, authors, musicians, and architects of the time - relying solely on his remarkable memory during conversations with them.” 7 likes