Start by marking “Impossible to Ignore: Creating Memorable Content to Influence Decisions” as Want to Read:
Impossible to Ignore: Creating Memorable Content to Influence Decisions

Impossible to Ignore: Creating Memorable Content to Influence Decisions

A groundbreaking approach to creating memorable messages that are easy to process, hard to forget, and impossible to ignore using the latest in brain science

Audiences forget up to 90 percent of what you communicate. But people make decisions and act based on what they remember, so a pragmatic approach for the effective communicator is to be deliberate about the 10 percent
Published May 11th 2016 by McGraw-Hill Education

Start your review of Impossible to Ignore: Creating Memorable Content to Influence Decisions
Nick
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Simon has thoughtfully and perceptively sketched out the mental architecture of how we create things like marketing messages that linger in people's minds and cause them to act in the future. Sometimes, the conclusions are obvious (surprise is good, simple is better, avoid cliches), but enough of this work is insightful to repay close study. The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 was because it's written very densely, like a dissertation turned into a book, rather than for ease of readin ...more
Neil
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
For a book that's called impossible to ignore this book probably should have used it's own advice and made it less dull. Overall, the content was useful but it was hard to digest
James
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Writers!
This review of Impossible to Ignore is for you.
Ever heard the old saying? When the only tool you have is a chainsaw, every problem looks like a murder victim. No? Even so, you get the point, right?
Permit me to turn that concept of tools (hammers?) and problems (nails?) on its head: When you're a writer who obsesses over finding writing techniques that work, you find new tools, not just in writing how-to books, but in everything you read. If you'd like to test that proposition, sta
Debbie
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
"Impossible to Ignore" is about how to improve the likelihood that people will take away the message that you're trying to impart, remember it, and act upon it. It's mainly aimed at business situations like meetings, sales interactions, ad campaigns, or seminars, but the basic principles can be applied to other situations. The author provided helpful real life and theoretical examples on how to apply the basic principles.

The author explained discoveries about how we form memories or are motivat
Charly Troff (ReaderTurnedWriter)
This is a phenomenal book for any sort of creator. It has so much useful information, especially throughout the middle of the book, it feels like changing. The writing style is more technical, so it was a slower read; for me, it was the kind of read where I read a little every day while reading other faster paced books. Overall, I thought it was very well researched and explained, definitely worth the read.
Hunter Satterfield
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Two stars may be too harsh for this book. This is a blend of two excellent books - "The Power of Habit" and "Influence." How to create habits or mental cues to make your content memorable enough for people to remember it when they go to take action.

I definitely took 3-4 helpful, concrete observations that I can use as a communicator and marketer. At the same time the 250+ pages of material needed to be about 100. This is common for business/marketing type books, but can be tough to do when writt
Soundview Executive Book Summaries
Impossible to Ignore: Creating Memorable Content to Influence Decisions by Carmen Simon was chosen by Soundview Executive Book Summaries as one of the Top Business Books of 2016.

THE SOUNDVIEW OVERVIEW:

Audiences forget up to 90 percent of what you communicate. How can your employees and customers decide to act on your message if they only remember a tenth of it? How do you know which tenth they'll remember? How will you stay on their minds long enough to spark the action you need?

Many experts hav
David
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
great book to have...I personally focus on cognitive behavior as well..understanding the messenger and the receiver communications are extremely essential and devils are in the details..Service Marketing is how a person's expectation meets with results that translates into satisfaction and dis-satisfactory responses...interesting to learn from this book..first the preparation to think from audiences are essential: especially presenting or making a presentation needs to make like a movie and know ...more
Andre
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it
There is interesting information in here, but the writing is very dry. It's not a book that excites the mind to consider all the new possibilities (although that's what it's kinda about!)

The core principles how to shape your content to have the best impact for memory retrieval and action are solid, but boy, I had to slog through it. My eyes glazed over sometimes. The science was good. Many of the examples used I considered weak. At some point the writing felt very formulaic, generic.

I did find
Jamie Fuller
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
The sheer quantity of notes I took from this book reminds me of all the valuable insights it has to offer. Interestingly, I've found those insights to be useful not only for people creating content but for people looking to understand and improve their awareness of how the content they ingest from various media impacts them.

All the points are based on up-to-date social and neuro science and can be applied whether you are a teacher, speaker, writer, advertiser, or practitioner looking to impart
Fernanda Kersman
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Teniendo en cuenta que la audiencia retiene alrededor del 10% de la información que compartimos con ella, ¿Cómo lograr que recuerde el 10% que a nosotros nos gustaría y tenga en cuenta nuestras ideas o recomendaciones? Eso es lo que se pregunta y responde con información basada en neurociencias, psicología cognitiva y ejemplos de presentaciones de negocios la neurocientífica CarmenSimon. Imposible no leerlo para los que quieran sumar neuro herramientas a su #storytelling.
Deane Barker
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you want to know all the secrets that advertisers or marketers (or campaign managers) use to make you remember stuff, this is your book. It's dense, and should probably be read in a group, put to use, and consulted multiple times. There's just a lot here. But this is the "secret sauce" that advertisers really should know before they start working. In some ways, it's Marketing 101.
Joe Valenti
I went back to this book over and over and over again because I wanted to glean the content, but it was just so boring! Isn’t that odd - that this book about being impossible to ignore is so very possible to ignore? The other issue that I had was that it seemed like I was being told what to do, just not how to execute those things. Perhaps this was the cause of the frustrated boredom on my part.
Anna  Domestico
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
It took me a long time to finish this book, but that has nothing to do with Carmen Simon's writing. She is clear and engaging in her writing - employing the tactics interrogated in the book. Surprisingly, I found this book applicable to much more beyond business use. (Wish I'd had it in undergrad and graduate school while exploring critical theory.)
Brian Blickenstaff
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Over the summer I took a marketing job after about 10 years as a journalist. I knew little about the marketing game, and this book, written by a cognitive scientist, seemed to offer an interesting take. It did, at times, though it wasn't filled with the profound ideas I hoped to find.
Leila
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
OK- as others have pointed out this is not a page turner in terms of writing style. But there is a LOT of good information and thought provoking discussion in this book. And an added plus: an actual checklist at the back for how to implement the techniques.
Kaixi Luo
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
"The problem is not that people remember very little, it's that people remember very little at random"

This book will teach you principles on how to create content that people will remember by leveraging the science behind memories.
Caleb Anderson
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have ever read. Extremely useful, and, somewhat ironically quite impossible to ignore.

read this if you want to know how memory works, or, if you want to be a marketer of some sort of competence.
Joe
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ultimate reference
Adrian
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Too few practical examples
Erin
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Useful information but the book is written in an academic manner which was quite difficult for me. I feel that it could have been simplified quite a bit while retaining the useful information.
Robmgooch
Good ideas...solid science, bore of a read.
Ashwin
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a particular chapter, Dr. Carmen Simon talks about writing a story/message in not more than 6 words. My 6 words for this book would "Outstanding. Because it helps your stand-outing"
Sa
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Carmen Simon rewards the reader of Impossible to Ignore with scientific credibility that strategically maps the way to influencing people through specific communication.

You will learn that audiences, consumers and employees forget up to 90% of what you communicate! Dr. Simon's expertise in neuroscience and cognitive psychology identifies how to remain in the minds and hearts of people ensuring that what you communicate is Impossible to Ignore.

Cover to cover, this book provides scientifically
Rob
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pros:
- The author worked w/ the founder of Marketo and a few other marketing-technology pioneers, so her work is modern and relevant, and it ties in well w/ my career.
- The language is very scientific/academic, which is a nice change from all the presentation and charisma books that are mostly fluff.

Cons:
This isn't really a content book as much as it is a presentations book. Most of the examples are in person presentations, slide decks, and speeches - not "content" in the way you might be think
Max Lybbert
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Much like writers or designers of graphic design manuals, Carmen Simon has a nearly impossible task: to teach her audience techniques for being memorable while using those techniques without calling undue attention to her use of the techniques. She manages to do this skillfully.
Palimpest Living
This had a lot of good information, and some fascinating facts. That said, some of it felt like a slog to get through. Definitely a worthwhile read for anyone creating or presenting content.
Carlos Abe

• Loserthink: How Untrained Brains Are Ruining America
  • Improv Wisdom: Don't Prepare, Just Show Up
  • Snakes in Suits: When Psychopaths Go to Work
  • Just Before Dark
  • Ketotarian: The (Mostly) Plant-Based Plan to Burn Fat, Boost Your Energy, Crush Your Cravings, and Calm Inflammation
  • The Language of Baklava: A Memoir
  • The One Sentence Persuasion Course - 27 Words to Make the World Do Your Bidding
  • How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of My Life
  • A Very Stable Genius: Donald J. Trump's Testing of America
  • Writing That Works
  • Art Of Manipulation: How To Get What You Want Out Of People In Business, In Your Personal Life, And In Your Love Life
  • زمن الخيول البيضاء
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • Flip the Script: Getting People to Think Your Idea Is Their Idea
  • The End is Always Near: Apocalyptic Moments, from the Bronze Age Collapse to Nuclear Near Misses
  • Doomi Golo—The Hidden Notebooks

News & Interviews

“He also believes that forcing information on people makes them want to reject it, whereas inviting them to search for information makes them interact and remember. To” 1 likes
“When there is too much novelty but no integration with existing reflexes and habits, as well as no reinforcement and no immediate rewards, forgetting is inevitable.” 1 likes