Start by marking “29” as Want to Read:

(29 #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  34 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Allie Sanders thinks life in a small town can't get any more dull and boring. She plans to escape after graduation. After a bad break-up, she wants to sail through junior year without distraction. Then the mysterious loner sits down in front of her in AP English. He's the guy she noticed last year desperately trying to stay invisible. She wants to know his secrets.Suddenly ...more
Published November 3rd 2015 by Allison-Hayes Books

To ask other readers questions about 29, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 29

really liked it 4.00  ·

Jasmine
**Thanks to YA Bound Book Tours and the author for offering an e-book copy in exchange for an honest review.**

What I like most about the story is the beginning. It's really addictive and draws my attention immediately because of the mysterious "Niner", Lucas Montgomery. I'm so eager to find out who or what he is and why he seems to know everything in advance. At first, the female main character, Allison Sanders, aka Allie, acts like an inexperienced spy, which is pretty funny throughout her di
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
29 by Nancy Pennick was one that took me by surprise. I managed to read the majority of it in a single day. It was quick read and I flew through it.

What intrigued me the most about this book was the fact that it had to do with a secret society of boys/men who were all born on February 29th, a leap year day. Those particular men were given special “powers” like super strength or brainpower or some other things. For that reason, they are wanted by the military in order to be used as soldiers wheth
Peggy
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**SPOILER FREE**

This book was so well written and interesting that I finished it before realizing I was coming to an end. Don't believe I have read anything prior by this author but I know I will be from here on out. A great book! It will have you turning pages quickly!

*Received for an honest review*
Aubrey Wynne
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
29 by Nancy Pennick is a page turner. Well written and fast-paced, it is filled with the ups and down of young love and clever science fiction issues that center around being born on leap year. Since this is a leap year, I found it especially interesting.
Allison finds the love of her life in Lucas. He walks into class one day, mysterious and hurting, and her heart goes out to him. She is determined to find out what is behind the secretive exterior. And so is her older brother, Doug, who is in t
Mira
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, friendship, r2r, mystery, ya, love
I received this book in exchanged for an honest review.

A typical-curious-teen-love-story with a twist from the cover itself, up to the story-line.

The "29" thing made me grab the copy because it made me curious which is a good thing for authors who would love to get their reader's attention. I love how the story goes, I became excited on every pages. I like how the story made me hate Doug, a little disappointed with Allie's parents, likes Ashley and Nate, and being amazed by the Montgomery's and
Carla
I really liked this book. I loved the characters (and despised one lol). I easily fell into the whole thing. I pictured the school, the diner where Lucas and Allison went on their first outing together. it kept me flipping the pages not wanting to put it down. now I'm sad it's done and can't wait to see what's next. I'm rooting for Allie! and I love Lucas! excellent book “I received a copy of this book in exchange for a review”.
Larissa :) [HIATUS]
Oh the beginning was so promising. Things were going great. But then, around the 30% mark, it just went downhill for me. It's like I completely lost interest once the mystery around Lucas was revealed, resulting in my skimming the rest of the book super quickly to be finished with it.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy it more Jasmine!
Rebecca Austin
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-magic
Allison Sanders is in high school and is intrigued by the new boy in her class, Lucas Montgomery. But when her much older brother, Doug, begins coming home and questioning her about Lucas she gets her guard up.

Soon Lucas explains to Allison a bit about himself and why Doug is after him. Allison must make a choice and decide if she believes Doug or Lucas and must help the one she believes. Along with her best friends Ashley and Nate can Allie keep those she loves safe and figure out who the leak
Shawna Shauntia
Nov 16, 2015 marked it as to-read

photo Excerpt_zpsa22492ab.png

Class hadn’t started so I talked to the back of his head. I gave up trying to talk to the front. “I want to thank you for helping me out the first day of school. I wasn’t in trouble or anything, just an ex wanting to talk. I didn’t want to talk and that’s what you saw ... or heard. How did you hear me?” I paused for a response but nothing. Thinking back to that day, I thought it odd that he came out of nowhere and knew I wanted Josh to let go of my arm. We blended in with the crowd. We weren’t
Carrie
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Wow! I was absolutely blown away by this book! I'm so glad I took a chance on a vague description and dove into the wonderful world of the 29. I literally just finished the book and had to immediately record my review. Why haven't more people read this book? It was like the magically perfect blend of high school teen angst, sci-fi, and romance. If any of those things appeal to you, pick this book up now!

Allie is a high schooler with a crush. She's been trying out this independent woman gig after
Stacy Sabala
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, suspense, ya
Book Review- 29 by Nancy Pennick

Allison Sanders is the youngest and is almost done with high school. Her older brothers have their own lives. Doug is in the military and rarely comes home. She doesn’t have much of a relationship with him. Her other brother, Dean, lives near the beach with his girlfriend Autumn. He is an artist. He and Allison are close. Starting school gives her the opportunity to sit behind the hot loner guy. He intrigues her and she is determined to learn more about him. He is
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After breaking up with her ex-boyfriend, Allie decides to begin junior year by focus on her mystery crush who just happens to sit in front of her in English. Allie doesn't know his name yet, but with encouragement from her next door neighbor buddy Nate and her best friend Ashley, and her own amateur sleuthing, she's determined to find out more about him and his secrets.

I really enjoyed all the characters, as they are all have their own personalities and interplay well together. I even enjoyed re
Misty
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, gifted-4-an-hr
I will try my very best to not include any spoilers but it won't be easy lol. This book was amazing! I'm not usually much of a sci-fi fan but the cover drew me in. It didn't take long reading until I was completely taken in by the story as well. Fast paced and full of mystery and intrigue and just the right amount of romance. I sat glued to the edge of my seat through the entire book trying desperately to figure out where the author would take me next but gladly it remained a mystery to the very ...more
Amberlie  Owens
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG!!!!

So first off in exchange for a honest review I received a free copy of 29. This book was so well put together and amazing. I have to say the description did not do justice. This book is about Allie and Lucas and the fact that he is a leap year baby. There is such a neat twist that I honestly would never had thought about it as being something interesting to write about. The book is about loyalty, love, friendship, and good vs evil. This should be the book you don't overlook. Wait ago Nanc
Alicia
Jun 04, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family, female, mystery
I skimmed most of the book after about the thirtieth page because I realized that whatever interested I had in starting the book, with the Loner kid was trumped by the poor and cliched writing and uninteresting "mystery" with unrealistic dialogue between the main character and her friend. It wasn't even tolerable ignore some major overhaul in language to get to the heart of what XXIV meant.

Received this book via Book Buzz in exchange for an honest review.
Jaylon
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book for an honest review and very thankful. From the first page nothing could drag me away from this story and could not stop until the last page. Very well written and very imaginative and it continued into the 2nd book.
Sean Colarossi
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was great! I sped through it and it never lost my interest. Look forward to reading the next installment!
TheCosyDragon

Allison is settling in for a normal Junior year of high school. Little does she know that her heart will be attracted to the bad boy in her English class, and her older brother will be set on a rampaging trail to force her to betray her loved ones.

Cliche, cliche, cliche. Fall for for the ‘bad boy’, get dumped, go back to the ‘safe choice’. Seriou
Kelly
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, young-adult
First off- I wasn’t sure if this was the end or there were more books to come and I am glad to say that there are more books to come. Otherwise, I would have been very frustrated with the ending.

This story was a great idea! Being born on leap year and only aging 3 months every year so you are only one year older every four years and with some extra benefits to boot! Sign me up!

Allison is your typical teenager. She has had this crush on this Loner boy in school even when she was dating the popul
Tara Hall
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Precious-Books.blog
The cover of this book made me think of the movie 28 days later so I was expecting it to be another zombie book. It's not. It does however, have a unique story line, that draws you in and makes you feel like you have to know what happens on the next page. The main character is a girl named Allie, in her Junior year at high school. I personally found that the teenager in me identified with her on so many different levels:

*She has an older brother she barely gets along with and who does whatever h
Lynne
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A big thank you to Jay at Choosy Bookworm and Nancy Pennick for providing a free copy of this book, for an honest review.

When I first started reading this book I wasn't sure I was going to like it. I've never read a book before where I knew I was writing a review at the end so I think I was over analysing it a bit.

This book, however, is very easy to like. By chapter two I was engrossed and I read it all in one sitting.

I enjoyed Nancy's writing style and the fast paced nature of the story and rea
Beth ~~Just One More Chapter I Swear~~
~~~~~2.5 Stars~~~~~

***I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***

I'm not sure that I got the same book as the other rave reviewers or maybe I am WAY out of the demographic zone here but this book was not for me. I just couldn't get into it. I felt nothing for the characters, the love interest was extremely unswoonworthy, the world development was lacking and I was frantically checking the page numbers wishing them to magically increase without me having to read any more..
Susan Gesing
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
29 was one of the best reads I've had in a long time. Allie is a typical teenage girl who has a mad crush on a stranger and she goes to great lengths to get to meet him and know him better. She never would have guessed Lucas' secret and how her older brother, Doug, would become a part of their lives to the extent he does.
I found the premise of the book to be very interesting and captivating for the reader. I would recommend this book to anyone, not just a New Adult! Pennick has another series, W
Natasha du Plessis
This is the first book by Nancy Pennick that I have read. This is a YA novel but also suited to more adult readers.
I loved the characters and the friendship that was formed between the friends. I also loved the relationship and love that formed between Allie and Lucas. I did not like Allie's brother and hope that something can be done to him soon ... I hope that this book is only the first in a series as I would love to read more of the Niners and their exploits, it there is more books I hope th
☆Joycedale☆
Found it to be a little out there. It was an interesting concept though.
Still not sure why Allie never came clean to her parents about Doug though.
Some people may hate this but my favorite part was that there wasn't an hea. It had a very true ending based on love.

I received a ecopy through Book Review Buzz in exchange for a honest review.
Lindy
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-free
Ecopy for a honest review.

The beginning of the book was intriguing and mysterious. 29 was aloof and stand offish to protect his identity. The heroine had tragic investigative skills but a good heart that wanted more out of life. It slowed down about 3/4s the wAy in. It's a good quick read for all those romantics out there.
Jennifer Williams
I loved this book. It was full of love and suspense. I received this book in exchange for an honest review.
Tammy
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book

My nieces would love this book. It has all the angst of teens and young adults. I received this book as a gift from the author for an honest review.
  • Nowhere Else But Here
  • Bane (Coven, #2)
  • The Hunter's Moon (The Secret Warrior, #1)
  • The Fire Sisters (Brilliant Darkness, #3)
  • Harp's Song (Harp's Song, #1)
  • Downcast
  • Pixelated
  • Burning Shadows (Order of the Krigers, #2)
  • The Echoing
  • Fated, Part One (A Timeless Series Novella)
  • Caged
  • Forests of the Fae: Devlin's Door
  • The Twilight Swimmer
  • Small Town Superhero (Small Town Superhero, #1)
  • Always Kiss Me Goodnight (Guardian Kiss, 1)
  • Shock Me (Shock Me, #1)
  • Down Under with the Hottie (Investigating the Hottie, #3)
  • Accidents & Incidents
After a career in teaching, Nancy began writing young adult books. The Waiting for Dusk series includes a historical fiction prequel, Broken Dreams. The fantasy romance series has three books-Waiting for Dusk, Call of the Canyon and Stealing Time. The Swedish influences in the series come from her mother whose parents emigrated from Sweden.
Her new series-Twenty Nine-has slowly developed over time

29 (4 books)
  • 29² [Twenty-Nine Squared] (29 #2)
  • 29° [Twenty-Nine Degrees] (29 #3)
  • 29∞ (Twenty-Nine Forever) (29 #4)