Start by marking “The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More Change the Way You Lead Forever” as Want to Read:
The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More  Change the Way You Lead Forever

The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More Change the Way You Lead Forever

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  13,765 ratings  ·  1,182 reviews
Coaching is an essential skill for leaders. But for most busy, overworked managers, coaching employees is done badly, or not at all.  They’re just too busy, and it’s too hard to change.

But what if managers could coach their people in 10 minutes or less?

In Michael Bungay Stanier’s The Coaching Habit, coaching becomes a regular, informal part of your day so managers and th
Published March 1st 2016 by Box of Crayons Press (first published February 29th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Coaching Habit, please sign up.
Christopher No. Some people don't know how to read, or don't have the time, or don't have access to books.…moreNo. Some people don't know how to read, or don't have the time, or don't have access to books.(less)

·  13,765 ratings  ·  1,182 reviews

Start your review of The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More Change the Way You Lead Forever
Cariadne
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
A quick read and packed filled with name dropping of other resources, books, authors to lend legitimacy that the author Michael Bungay Stanier looked at other published works to help shape his teachings in The Coaching Habit. I thought it interesting he named so many other bestselling books, but found it disappointing, too. Upon picking this up from NetGalley, I was looking for new insights and a new expert I can rely; not someone else rehashing and selling me wisdom already provided by Dan Pink ...more
Marshall
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book provides a great framework of asking coaching questions.

The kickstart question: “What’s on your mind?"
The awe question: “And what else?"
The focus question: “ What’s the Real Challenge Here for You?"
The lazy question: "How Can I Help?"
The foundation question: “What do you want?"
The strategic question: “If You’re Saying Yes to This, What Are You Saying No To?"
The learning question: “What was most useful for you?”

Great Quotes

“Many leaders told us they don’t have the time in this high-press
Jim Razinha
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Stanier says he took four years to write four versions of this. I'm virtually scratching my head at that...it's a trifold tract blown up with repetitious cliches, buzzwords, self-help stuff, and a lot of name- and book title-dropping. Stanier aggregates other people's works (he even cites the serial offender aggregator Daniel Goleman) into a whizzbang ask seven questions and you know everything about coaching leadership flipchart. I think he misses his target by a wide margin. Note: I do agree t ...more
Rod Moser
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Coaches, teachers, trainers, managers, parents
Recommended to Rod by: Net Galley
This book is absolutely BRILLIANT!

I have served as a Team Leader with Keller Williams, a managing broker of the largest Century 21 office in the world, and now, as a professional real estate coach. I work with many agents around the country to improve efficiencies and best business practices while growing their businesses.

I was constantly getting caught in the usual traps (without having much in the way of professional coaches training) of going through a coaching session without really feeling
Krista Regester
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
...and what else?
José Luis
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had previously read the excellent book, very worth reading,
Coaching for Performance: GROWing Human Potential and Purpose - The Principles and Practice of Coaching and Leadership, 4th Edition Paperback – October 10, 2009. John Whitmore (Author).
As a professor at a university in Brazil, I practiced coaching a lot as an adviser both graduate and undergraduate, and I could learn a lot then. So, the topic coaching is not so new at all.
This little book is worth reading although it is a little tir
Diana Pojar
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally recommend this book! It has great tips and insights on how you can take out more of your 1:1s, especially when you are managing or coaching people! I used a audiobook, but I plan to re-read it on paper, since i want to be able to take notes and make highlights!
The book highlight 7 questions and gives contexts and insight on how they work and why they are useful.

The books has a couple of ideas that are repetitive.
Jacques Bezuidenhout
This book struggled to keep me engaged.

In summary, the seven questions:
The kickstart question: “What’s on your mind?"
The awe question: “And what else?"
The focus question: “ What’s the Real Challenge Here for You?"
The lazy question: "How Can I Help?"
The foundation question: “What do you want?"
The learning question: “What was most useful for you?”

Mostly the book points you to videos on thecoachinghabit.com. So in my
Tõnu Vahtra
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a trap! 117 pages looks like a really short read, but I ended up with almost 20 more books in my to-read list once I finished it. Michael has a consulting/coaching company (Box of Crayons) and is reading over 100 business books per year due to his role. He recommended his best books in every leadership category: https://boxofcrayons.com/the-coaching...

The book is combining together the key points with many other books that are touching the topic of coaching and manages to do that in
Simon Eskildsen
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Centered around 7 great questions to help any conversation go from small-talk to output. But it isn't just a checklist of answers for one-on-ones, it's also filled with nuggets on building long-term memory, other mental models for management, pragmatic lessons from neuroscience, as well as useful analogies. Some of my favorites were how people typically put themselves in the position of a rescuer, victim, or prosecutor—either of which can be dangerous. It's tempting to feel it's a hero move to t ...more
Manas Saloi
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is regarding how to provide coaching and conduct successful one on ones. The 7 questions you are supposed to ask are:

What is on your mind?
And what else?
What is the real challenge for you?
What do you want?
What do you want from me?/ How can I help?
What are you saying No to?
What was most useful for you about this conversation?

Planning to use this the next time I have a one on one with someone in my team.
Ashley Gleiter
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought this was great. For a majority of people, the way this material is presented is super easy to digest and well structured and organized to make the learning journey cohesive and easy to envision how you can apply the learning in your own work easily. I think it clarifies the need for and provides an approach to coaching that manages to be both simple and profoundly beneficial.
Diane Law
Feb 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For anyone wanting to have a more coaching style in their personal or professional interactions this is a great resource. Full of practical tips, stories and examples. Very engaging and useful.
Bob
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Summary: Kicking the advice habit, asking questions well, and using variations of seven key questions can lead to more effective leadership coaching.

Over the next few weeks, I will be mixing in reviews of books on coaching, part of some reading I am doing for my own development. I'll take the risk of reviewing these because all of us influence others in some way, and it is never a loss to learn how we might do that with greater effectiveness that helps others flourish.

One of the key ideas of thi
Samarth Agnihotri
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
"Your advice is not as good as you think."
•Do you offer advices to your friends in need. To become a good coach spend less time telling someone what to do rather than ask more questions.
•This book contains some reasonable questions to solve your friends problems. Read this book and help your friends in the best way possible next time.
Happy reading.😊
Cara Mackay
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is one for the team leaders. I need to read it again. Still so much unlearning to do.
SeyedMostafa Meshkati
I think that this book was more like a self-helping book than a management one.
The book's main subject is introducing seven questions to getting away from admonishing and going through more information and useful conversations. I like this idea and think that these questions are effective.
But some problems damaged the main idea and made the book a "Good" one, instead of a "Geat" one.
The first problem is the title! I think these questions are just for the starting of coaching, and after those, th
Karen Stanton
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best coaching books I've ever read. I had the pleasure of seeing Michael Bungay Stanier in person, and he was just as helpful and funny and endearing as this book.
The basic premise? Shut up and listen. Assume you have much to learn. Kill the advice monster.

I am going to carry this book in my briefcase and read it before every coaching session. I think that school districts everywhere should buy copies for their instructional coaches, and I think it would also be helpful in cor
Ally McCudden
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a read for my job! Super helpful and will help get anyone wanting to coach their team heading in the right direction!
huzeyfe
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
7 Questions that can change the way you lead the people

This was a great book with real and working questions which already started helping me in the way I interact with the people I work with. The only downside I have a very long list to read more as there are several good references in the book that I can't help but wondering those books already.
Ian Tymms
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very readable. Clear, succinct strategies that align well with training in Cog Coaching. A useful book to come back to.
Abolfazl Kakaey
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is proper for both coaches and managers using coaching skills. It's about key questions that could be used among our conversations and I can say by my experience of using them, they are spectacular when used properly ...more
Ana  Ulin
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nela
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Quick and super useful read for know-it-all compulsive advice givers who can't stop talking at people. (Admitting the problem is half the battle.) ...more
Maanas S Bukkuri
A very light read, but provides a plethora of ways to ask important questions. It has fundamentally changed the way I approach one-on-ones and how I "coach" people. Thank you for this gem! ...more
Farnoosh Brock
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business-spirit
I read this at the recommendation of my friend / mastermind peer and it's ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITE business/coaching books. We are both in the business of coaching entrepreneurs and business owners and executives, and always working hard to raise our game and our effectiveness with them, so the perspective of reading this book for me was that of a coach and the desire to become a better coach through the powerful questions.

I had the pleasure of meeting Michael a couple of times and sharing a
Cecil
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This books provides the "Seven essential coaching questions" and explains how to use them to open the door for others' growth and progress toward a more intentional and successful life. ...more
Sebastian Gebski
Useful, but hardly involving.

There are two valid "pro" arguments to read this book:
* key topic of the book (7 questions) are really helpful (some of them more than other ...) in improving one's coaching style (at least that was the real fact in my case)
* Karpman Drama Triangle is something you should ALWAYS (!) have in the back of your head -> seriously; this is something we subconsciously know, but having it "structured" and rephrased with such a simple model really helps in realising when it "
Zane
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I originally found it strange, when as an educator, I bought this business book during a Kindle sale. Now that I've finished it, I would easily recommend it to fellow educators. Especially any administrator, instructional coach, or consultant. Very practical and application oriented - a simple system with real world relevance.

I plan to implement a talk less, coach more mantra this fall in my classroom.
Leaders who Libra...: Share Your Thoughts on The Coaching Habit! 8 39 Jan 30, 2019 08:31AM

• The Prosperous Coach: Increase Income and Impact for You and Your Clients
  • Co-Active Coaching: Changing Business, Transforming Lives
  • Coaching for Performance: GROWing Human Potential and Purpose - the Principles and Practice of Coaching and Leadership (People Skills for Professionals)
  • Radical Candor: Be a Kickass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity
  • Coaching Questions: A Coach's Guide to Powerful Asking Skills
  • The Coaching Mindset: 8 Ways to Think Like a Coach
  • Coach the Person Not the Problem: A Simple Guide to Coaching for Transformation
  • Playing to Win: How Strategy Really Works
  • The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable
  • The Master Coach: Leading with Character, Building Connections, and Engaging in Extraordinary Conversations
  • Think Again: The Power of Knowing What You Don't Know
  • Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used
  • Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us
  • Coaching Psychology Manual
  • The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You
  • Coach the Person, Not the Problem: A Guide to Using Reflective Inquiry
  • The Infinite Game
See top shelves…
Hi - I'm a book reader, writer and lover.

I'm best known for *The Coaching Habit*, the best-selling book on coaching this century. (Close to a million copies sold!)

I'm also the host of the podcast *2 Pages with MBS* where brilliant people read the best two pages of a favourite book.