Start by marking “Day Four” as Want to Read:
Day Four

Day Four

(The Three #2)

3.31  ·  Rating details ·  4,665 Ratings  ·  720 Reviews
Four days into a five day singles cruise on the Gulf of Mexico, the ageing ship Beautiful Dreamer stops dead in the water. With no electricity and no cellular signals, the passengers and crew have no way to call for help. But everyone is certain that rescue teams will come looking for them soon. All they have to do is wait.

That is, until the toilets stop working and the fo
Published by Hodder (first published May 21st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Day Four, please sign up.
Angela Based on the last few chapters of "The Three," I was under the impression that these "entities" (whatever they may be) have repeated the crash event…moreBased on the last few chapters of "The Three," I was under the impression that these "entities" (whatever they may be) have repeated the crash event multiple times but changed variables each time to see how people react when certain factors change. (Basically, it appears that they’re playing Groundhog Day with humanity.) Therefore, in this version, it appears that Lori and Bobby died in the crash, and we are now catching glimpses of the repercussions of that "change" in story. (less)
Mark
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Michael Jensen
Well, Sarah Lotz has done it again. And by that I mean she's taken an intriguing set up, added decent writing, then ruined the whole thing with an ending that gives the readers no real answers, just throws in another vaguely creepy "twist" and calls it a day. I totally get why a writer would do this -- it's easy! Rather than telling a story that builds to an inevitable climax, it's much easier to have a non-ending ending that doesn't answer any questions. That way it doesn't really matter what c ...more
Blair
Review originally published at Learn This Phrase. (This is an updated, much more detailed version of the review I previously posted.)

The unfortunate thing about Lotz's follow-up (and loose 'sequel') to The Three is that it's not The Three. As one of my favourite books of 2014, it was always going to be a hard act to follow, and I was over the moon to get hold of an advance copy of Lotz's new book. It's with a heavy heart, then, that I have to report I simply didn't enjoy Day Four anywhere near
Mogsy (MMOGC)
5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/06/15/b...

Sarah Lotz topped my 2014 Horror/Thriller list with her book The Three, terrifying me with a story about four deadly plane crashes and three mysterious child survivors. This year she’s set to dominate my Best-Of lists again with her new book Day Four.

Thing is, The Three may have scared the living daylights out of me, but hey, I was already afraid of flying.

Day Four, however, may have just ruined cruising for me as well.

Thi
Barbara
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-challenge

If you're planning to take a vacation cruise any time soon you might want to skip this book.

As the story opens the almost 3000 passengers and crew on board the (so called) luxury liner 'Beautiful Dreamer' have experienced smooth sailing for three days. It's now day four....and things take a downturn. An engine room fire badly injures the head engineer, cuts off the ship's electricity, and interferes with the ship's communication systems. Thus, there's no phone service, no wi-fi, no eme
Debra Komar
Jul 22, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have read both of Lotz's books and they both suffer from the same problems.

1. They are categorized as horror, yet aren't. At best, they are just a mishmash of styles.

2. She insists in using multiple viewpoints to tell the story but is incapable of writing in multiple voices. To compensate, she throws the occasional foreign words into the mix - "ja," "G'day" (oh, look, he's Australian) and "fucked-darned", a meaningless word in any language. The effect is not what she hopes - its just unimagina
Liz Barnsley
The Three was in my top 10 of 2014 so I was really looking forward to “Day Four” a standalone horror thriller that also works as a sequel. In fact my honest opinion is that whilst you could quite happily read Day Four first, if you start with The Three you will get added oomph to this novel, a greater depth – so that would be my recommendation.

Onto Day Four then, I guess the truth is it freaked me out a little. Ok, a lot. In the best way possible. It is dark, scary, atmospheric and beautifully d
Veronica ⭐️
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hachette, 2016
Passengers spend three glorious days on board the cruise ship Beautiful Dreamer then on day four the engines stop and the electricity fails but the alcohol flows freely and no-one is overly concerned as help will surely arrive soon. Things start to go horribly wrong as a virus overtakes the ship, the toilets stop working and a passenger is found murdered. Panic ensues but this cruise turned nightmare is far from over.

Lotz has taken every scenario that could happen on a cruise ship and packed it
Thomas Wagner

In her sequel to The Three, Sarah Lotz places us aboard a Caribbean cruise ship — the sort of place that's hell on earth to begin with — and then strands its crew and passengers adrift for five days following an inexplicable engine failure. There is no way to contact shore, and bafflingly, no other vessels in the ordinarily crowded Gulf they can hail for assistance. Everything slowly descends into fear and loathing as food runs low, the plumbing backs up, the captain remains out of sigh
Tasha Robinson
It's a problem when the premise of the book is why I keep reading, rather than any real interest in the characters and their experiences. I haven't read the author's previous book, so I'm not in a position to draw the comparisons other reviewers are drawing between that one and this one. I can only judge Day Four on its own merits. And as it stands, it's a solid beach-friendly page-turner about a cruise ship that suddenly breaks down, with inexplicable things happening aboard. My big problem wit ...more
Anthony Fitzgerald
What on earth happened at the end of this book??

This whole read was an exercise in frustration. There were so many spooky moments that would build up and fall flat on it's ass. And then the ending just took a confusing out of nowhere turn into huh? Nothing really gets answered or wrapped up.

Very disappointed in this book.
Jessica Woodbury
May 08, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, horror
Starts strong, but ultimately the narrative style was too disjointed and broken up for the story. And the ending kinda lost me. Not that the plot of the ending was bad per se, but it just felt like we were suddenly in a different book. Didn't live up to my expectations, because wow a horror story set on a cruise ship feels like crazy fertile territory.
Books
Sep 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-2015
I’m curious: is this the same Sarah Lotz who wrote the unforgettable novel, The Three? It sure doesn’t read as though it was written by the same author. I am shocked at the terrible, stilted, and unnatural dialogue between the characters! And what’s up with psychic, Celine Del Ray, starting every second sentence with, “Know this.”? Good grief it was annoying!

Overall, I think this book had a great ending. Much like Lotz’s previous novel, the excellently written and well plotted, The Three, but st
Bandit
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Three didn't really need a sequel, so few books do, but sequel it got. Although in all fairness a fairly tangential, almost thematic one. Of course, it's difficult to do a direct sequel to a book as brutal on its characters as The Three was, so it sort of makes sense. With this one the author scaled down, way, way own to a slimmer more location contained volume, it's the locked ship mystery basically about a cruise gone very very wrong. Only toward the end is there a hint of what The Three w ...more
Craig Allen
Perhaps it was because I had such high expectations after loving "The Three" so very much, but I never could fully get into "Day Four" to the same degree. It seemed like every cliché horror tactic you've seen or read before, with a good bit of main and minor characters to keep track of. There were some creepy scenes, and the last 15% or so I found very enjoyable, but overall I never got invested or rooted for (or against) anyone. It's like Titanic meets a horror movie. This wasn't a bad book, ju ...more
Araseli
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second horror book I read by Lotz and really like it. I didn't think I was a fan of horror but Lotz writes so well. This book and her last one will catch your attention a few pages in. It is scary, creepy and eerie. Give it a try if you'r NOT going on a cruise in the near future. Easy read, fast pace and gripping.
Tiffy_Reads
This started off really good but then the last 100 or so pages flushed it all down the toilet. Plus that ending wth was up with that hot mess of an ending?! Ugh.
Lisa
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2015/0...

Day Four will make you cringe, laugh and shudder. It shows you the horror that can exist in humanity, it provides you haunting events and things that you can’t explain in any sense of the world we know and live in. It will creep you out in so many ways. But, it will also entertain you and make you laugh. There is an incredible balance with the dark parts of this book that keep it from ever becoming too dismal. It is addictive
Jennifer Kerr
Feb 15, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not enjoy this book. I will say that I have not read the first book - I didn't know this was part of a series, so perhaps that affected my reading. However, I do not feel the desire to read the first book or any that come after. I felt that there were too many characters, with too many "complicated pasts" that didn't add anything to their characters other than tedium.

The American characters were all stereotypes: fat, loud, drunk, obnoxious, entitled assholes. Sure, they exist, but not eve
Kate
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a stunner! A horror thriller that stands alone although it does throw a shade of light onto the brilliantly creepy world of The Three. If anything, and this is hard to believe as its predecessor is one of my favourite books of 2014, Day Four is even better than The Three. Truly accomplished and confident, it chills from the first to very last page. Bravo!

Rebecca
This book was entertaining to read but I felt like it built up an expectation for something big that never came to fruition. I felt kind of ripped off. It wasn't a bad book as far as the storytelling, I guess I was just expecting a more satisfying climax that never happened. Know this - I will never willingly go on cruise.
Paul
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Last week I read The Three and it just about blew my tiny little mind. I love writing with an apocalyptic flavour, and The Three delivered that in spades. Within minutes of finishing the final page, I had already picked up its sequel and had jumped straight in. Day Four builds on the delightfully dark premise of The Three and takes the reader to the next level.

Where The Three is primarily focussed on the aftermath of an event and its continuing fallout, Day Four is more interested in tracking ch
Book Riot Community
Like being frightened? Like sleeping with the lights on? Then this is the perfect book for you! In Lotz's previous book, The Three, planes fell from the sky, leaving only three young survivors who were...not what they used to be. In this sequel, everything aboard a cruise ship starts to go horribly wrong on its fourth day at sea, and when help finally arrives, all the passengers aboard the boat appear to be missing. But the truth of where they are is worse than anyone can imagine. Lotz is breath ...more
Javi
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! Really oppresive and claustrophobic atmosphere, very well depicted. I think the ending felt a bit rushed, personally I could have used at least one more chapter. But overall it maintained a level of creepiness like the one from the first book with very well defined characters. It can be read as a stand-alone, no need to read " The Three" first, although I highly recommend it because it is awesome.
Kerry Jones
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Kept me intrigued from start to finish. Always a case of "just one more chapter". A massive improvement on the first book in my opinion.
Mikka Gottstein
"Thriller" steht auf dem Cover, und der Klappentext klingt nach atemberaubender Spannung (vielleicht mit einer Spur Grusel). Daher habe ich auch genau das erwartet, aber leider haben sich diese Erwartungen für mich nicht erfüllt.

Ein Schiff, dessen Motoren ohne ersichtlichen Grund ausfallen. Eine junge Frau, die tot in ihrer Kabine aufgefunden wird. Geistererscheinungen in den Fluren. Das Bermudadreieck. Endzeitstimmung. Parallelwelten.
DrogenVerschwörungstheorienRassismusSelbstmordpaktMassenpanik
Mareli Thalwitzer
Last one for 2017!! Made it with 10 minutes to spare to midnight on 31 December. Wait a minute - isn't that just about the same time the fun started in this freaking creepy book??!
Pamela ✨I Blame Wizards✨
I enjoyed Sarah Lotz's first in this horror series, The Three, but was not blown away by it. I did have fun reading it however, and was intrigued enough to want to know how the story would continue. Did this book fulfil that need? No, not particularly. But was it good? Yes, a resounding yes!

I felt that the plot and writing in Day Four was much stronger than it had been in The Three. This could in part be due to the fact that Lotz focuses on writing flowing prose, rather than the found documents
Randee
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
On the jacket of the book, there is a blurb by Stephen King that says, " Hard to put down and vastly entertaining." I couldn't agree more! I understand this is the second of a trilogy, but I have not read the first book (The Three) but it did not interfere with me enjoying this. I will go back to read 'The Three' for sure. This is as satisfying as junk food. A bunch of people on a cruise ship including a psychic who supposedly can talk to the dead and the reporter determined to unmask her as a f ...more
Emma
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books-read
Cruise ships will never seem safe again....

A short and sweet review because I don't want to give anything away. This book is chilling and terrifying. The added claustrophobic setting of a cruise ship, broken down, food running out, toilets not working, just builds to the whole atmosphere. The writing is spectacular and the descriptions spot-on, at one point during a moment reading about the non-functioning toilets I became very glad that books don't come with smell-o-vision! And the ending.....
Andy
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put it down!
As dark and chilling as The Three but with an added edge of claustrophobia and unease Day Four is set in the same world as Ms. Lotz stunning first novel and adds to the strange and eerie vibe of it's predecessor in spades.
A dark and terrifying tale of humanity in isolation that will leave you loving dry land for a long time to come.
Do I need to read The Three ??? 1 4 Apr 13, 2018 11:10AM
  • Frankenstorm
  • Bad Country
  • Niceville
  • The Border
  • The Shadow of the Soul (The Dog-Faced Gods, #2)
  • The Killer Next Door
  • Home (Jack Murphy, #2)
  • The Drowning Pool
  • The Swede (Ernst Grip #1)
  • The Pilo Traveling Show
  • Our Picnics in the Sun
  • Omega Days (Omega Days, #1)
  • Suffer the Children
  • The Walking Dead, Issue #113
  • Last Words (Mark Novak, #1)
  • The Fifth House of the Heart
  • Bitter Fruits (DI Erica Martin, #1)
  • A Big Enough Lie: A Novel
Sarah Lotz is a screenwriter and novelist with a fondness for the macabre and fake names. Among other things, she writes urban horror novels under the name S.L. Grey with author Louis Greenberg; a YA pulp-fiction zombie series, Deadlands, with her daughter, Savannah, under the pseudonym Lily Herne; and quirky erotica novels with authors Helen Moffett and Paige Nick under the name Helena S. Paige. ...more

The Three (2 books)
  • The Three (The Three, #1)
“What could be more intimate than dying with someone?” 2 likes