Start by marking “Long Dark Dusk (The Australia Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Long Dark Dusk (The Australia Trilogy, #2)

Long Dark Dusk

(The Australia Trilogy #2)

The moment she learned the horrible truth about her life on Australia, the derelict ship overrun with violent gangs, Chan Aitch made it her mission to save everyone she could from their fate worse than death. But her efforts were in vain. Now, everyone she cares about is dead or in prison, and Chan is more alone than ever before.

As the only person to have escaped Australia
Published April 7th 2016 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about Long Dark Dusk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Dark Dusk

Start your review of Long Dark Dusk (The Australia Trilogy, #2)
Figgy
Gotta love it when you don't realise the second book is coming until the week before it hits. No desperate count-down here... Now I just need to find some space in my schedule for it.
Trisha
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
"I've really only ever known three places property: (view spoiler). And really they're not so different.
They're all prisons in their own way."

This is a very good book 2 in a series. So book 1 ended with a bit of a cliffhanger. We weren't so sure how things were going to turn out. But Chan is still her kick-butt self in this one. She is stranded again, and barely surviving. She's learning with the new area she's in and trying to figured out how
Tori
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-reviews
Kate
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this. Roll on Dark Made Dawn!

Brett Orr
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This review contains spoilers for Way Down Dark.

I'm going to be honest. I absolutely raved about Way Down Dark last year, but the first novel in James Smythe's Australia trilogy was so perfectly executed that, coming into Long Dark Dusk, I was afraid the sequel would suffer from the  Glass Sword -effect and fall short of my expectations.

It turns out, I had nothing to worry about.

I admit, I miss the Australia spaceship. I really liked the complex lore the inhabitants had created, their rules and
Ellie
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Way Down Dark dealt with the idea of being punished for the crimes of your ancestors, being unable to escape your circumstances in life, and the themes of incarceration and rehabilitation are explored a bit further in Long Dark Dusk. As well as people an action packed ride through a future earth where populations have plummeted and every human being should be a productive member of society.

Chan finds herself living in the docks, surrounded by those at the bottom, the junkies, the criminals,
Yolanda Sfetsos
Last year I read the first book in The Australia trilogy, and loved it. After the shocking events that led to the conclusion, I was very excited to read the next installment.

Chan is now living inside the secure walls of Washington. She lives on the fringes, in the shanty towns where the poor survive and try to stay out of trouble. She's an outlaw and knows that if she's found, she'll be captured. So she stays in the shadows and has a few allies.

Alala buys what she steals, and has helped her
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hachette, bookgasm
The Australia series is one of the most explosive, enthralling and confident young adult series that pushes the boundaries of what we expect from our dystopian based reads. Long Dark Dusk continues shortly after Chan has disembarked from the Australia, and Mae torn from her arms. Still aching with grief of all she's lost, Chan is determined to rescue the young girl from captivity. Her only ally is underground reporter Ziegler, who teaches Chan about her new world and provides assistance in ...more
SJ
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was such a pleasure to slip back into Chan's world and I enjoyed the second installment of the Australia trilogy just as much as the first.

James continues to draw his icy fingers of prediction down my back as I consider what it would be like to live in a Smythe created future. In a world that's moved on, humans have practically destroyed everything we thought was important with greed and hubris and we're left clinging to pockets of civilisation surrounded by walls and devastation. Really,
Zarina
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I wasn't a fan of this and I am giving it a reluctant 3 stars. The overall experience was very disappointing considering how mind-blowing the end to Way Down Dark was and I may have to revise my star rating down once I've fully processed my thoughts.
Liz Barnsley
Excellent EXCELLENT book 2 in the Australia trilogy. Full review to follow Monday. **Little happy book dance**
Cathy Eades
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A really good 2nd installment. Having made it to Earth, Chan has to fight for her freedom and search for Mae. A little less action but still a good amount. There are some interesting characters and a simple plot. This book is a bit more about setting things up I felt and there are some definite lose ends here. The romance is totally abandoned and I feel like it's being set up for something big in the third book. Not entirely sure how I feel about Rex yet. The only thing I don't like is the ...more
Maria
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What is it about?

This is book two in the Australia Trilogy. If you haven't read the first book, then you should go read Way Down Dark now.

This book takes off a short while after the other ended. Chan is looking for a little girl named Mae, whom she promised she would protect. In her effort to do so, she seeks help from a shady person and ends up in over her head. Some characters from the first book reappear and help keep the story interesting.

Is it good?

It was excellent! It is packed with
Ramona
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, young-adult
A typical dystopian story with a bit of a twist. A prison ship falls to the Earth, and we have our main character, Chan, 4th generation, young girl, searching for others from the ship, Australia. She is now a felon, on the run. She meets a good "Samaritan" who helps her, and a not so nice woman, who lives outside the "city" that helps, but with ulterior motives. Too much violence for me, so the two-star rating, but a good premise for a book.
Isabel
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is so much happening in these books.
Vera
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
STILL. SO. GOOD. Cannot. stop. Never want it to end.
Haven Walkowiak
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very Awesome and thrilling, but the book ends abruptly and I can't wait to find out what happens!
Candace Wondrak
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
2 stars.

This is all my fault, really. I read the summary and thought: "Ooh, that sounds cool and original!" Space, dystopias...the series was compared to the Hunger Games and Divergent. While I wasn't a fan of Divergent beyond the first book, I loved the Hunger Games. Sadly, the book took more after the last two Divergent books for me.

But again, I repeat, this is my fault and not the book's. See, I didn't realize that this is the second book in the series. I saw the simple cover, kinda liked
Charlotte (Escapades of a Bookworm)
Reviews can also be found on my blog Escapades of a Bookworm

So thank goodness I had this book next to me to read straight after the first one in the series. Because let me tell you this is a corker of a series. And the last book left me wanting more and this book delivers. It is so much better than the first one and it is longer so yay! (Something I thought I would never say yay about).

There are three parts to this book, and each part has it own problems for Chan and each one shows just how
nagina
May 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
This review was originally posted on OhBookish

Actual rating 2.5 stars

After finishing the action-packed, gritty and surprising Way Down Dark, I was eagerly anticipating its sequel. However, unlike its predecessor Long Dark Dusk fell incredibly flat.

Long Dark Dusk picks up a little while after Way Down Dusk ended. Chan is the lone escapee of Australias crash landing to earth, and is now living on the outskirts of the city in poverty. Whilst struggling to adapt to life on Earth, Chan is also
Denise
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Life on Australia was hell. Life on Earth isn't any better. The only one of the Australias survivors to have escaped after the ship's crash landing, Chan is barely scraping by on the outskirts of a big city. All she wants is to find Mae, the little girl she promised to protect, but she can't do it alone. With no other options, she makes a deal with the devil that might get her killed - but she's willing to try whatever it takes to get Mae back.

Brutal, disturbing and uncompromising like the first
Ola Z
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm actually ridiculously happy I have started this series.
It's so full of action and tension that I was slightly overwhelmed when reading, but it was a good feeling. I finally got attached to the main character, which resulted in a few cases of major feels along the way...
A few of them moments messed me up completely, and I cannot wait to continue the story in the next book .

My Rating: 4/5 Stars.
FULL REVIEW TO COME
Justin Sarginson
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another incredible instalment. Packed full of action and violence, the story compels you to read the next page. Great stuff.
Liam Smith
Susana Miralles
rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Aurora Burning (The Aurora Cycle, #2)
  • Imagine Me (Shatter Me, #6)
  • The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
  • Firesong (Wind On Fire, #3)
  • Master Class
  • The List
  • The Rumphulus
  • Monstrous Souls
  • The Pursuit of William Abbey
  • The Boy Who Saw In Colours
  • The June Boys
  • The Earthquake Bird
  • Contagion (Contagion, #1)
  • Enders (Starters, #2)
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy, #1)

The Australia Trilogy (3 books)
  • Way Down Dark  (The Australia Trilogy, #1)
  • Dark Made Dawn (The Australia Trilogy, #3)