Start by marking “Invisible Influence: The Hidden Forces that Shape Behavior” as Want to Read:
Invisible Influence: The Hidden Forces that Shape Behavior

Invisible Influence: The Hidden Forces that Shape Behavior

In Invisible Influence, the New York Times bestselling author of Contagious explores the subtle influences that affect the decisions we make—from what we buy, to the careers we choose, to what we eat.

“Jonah Berger has done it again: written a fascinating book that brims with ideas and tools for how to think about the world.” —Charles Duhigg, author of The Power of Habit

If
Published June 14th 2016 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Invisible Influence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invisible Influence

Start your review of Invisible Influence: The Hidden Forces that Shape Behavior
Bianca Smith
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
I received this via NetGalley and admit I didn't finish it.

I liked the first 20%. The concept of mimicry is excellent. It's that we mimic those around us.

At the 30% mark I realized that there's very little research to support the stories.

By 35% I was skimming.

Forty percent - should I finish it?

And 50%, I was done.

There are lots of stories about college students and their behaviors. Occasionally research studies were referenced.

Maybe this was too pop psychology for me? It was lots of broad
Rob Woodbridge
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
A very fast read but lacking in substance compared to Contagious. These genres of books tend to blend together. Same stories, different angle. Not a lot of new here.
Lesley
May 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free through Goodreads' Giveaways programs.

The premise of Jonah Berger's book is intriguing-- we don't make decisions that are truly our own. Instead, we are constantly relying on input from others without fully realizing it.

This book struck me an entertaining, somewhat "pop" psychology book that had some interesting information (who knew that youngest children are usually the most likely to be top athletes?). But overall, I thought it was pretty bland. Of course we are
Jenny
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Good book. Here is what I want to remember:

(p.59) If people can't see, or observe what others are doing, there is no way for those others to influence them...Social influence only works when other people's opinions or behaviors are observable.

(p. 65) Birth order is the biggest predictor of elite athletes: 75% have at least one older sibling.

(p.68-69) Sibling rivalry is about who gets to be a certain type of person and who has to be someone else...Kids' personalities even seem to shift over time
Nicole Carey
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! In line with Malcom Gladwell, I am fascinated by social psychology and what drives humans to do what they do. I enjoyed his scenarios, his stories and his statistics. I found myself plotting how I could use social influence to make better choices, to motivate me, and leverage the now "visible" to work in my favor!
Jeremy
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
So disappointing. I was a huge fan of Berger's previous book, "Contagious." (It's actually on my favorites shelf.) This new book lacks the structure and applicability that made his previous book so useful.

It also feels overwritten. As though the publisher/editor asked him to stretch out the content a liiiiiittle bit more. Here's an example, "Teenagers are unlikely to be confused with 40-year-old business executives…." All of this filler gets in the way of some of his more interesting points.

Dan Graser
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
While there are a number of books on this subject, Berger's stands out for its Malcolm Gladwell-like-accessibility and depth of understanding. For those not familiar with the social impact on our day-to-day choices this is an excellent introduction. Frequently, books like this seem geared for corporate drones trying to become slightly more human, Berger avoids those sorts of pitfalls with great humor and brio while also offering ways in which this information could be used effectively for ...more
Melissa
Apr 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Thanks to Netgalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. The writing is good, but the subject is a bit ho-hum. I just kept thinking the information wasn't very ground breaking. Perhaps students of psychology and sociology would appreciate the in-depth discussion of influencing others.
Ranjana
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read the book “Contagious: Why Things catch on” of Jonah Berger. I loved the book and decided to read “Invisible Influence” as well. This book narrates interesting experiments and examples to explain how social influence affects our choices and behaviour in both subtle and explicit ways.
The book starts by explaining that we do not see social influence affecting our behaviour because society tells us that being influenced is a bad thing. The book describes the science of social influence and
Whitney
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it
This man needs an editor, or a ghost writer. (I volunteer. I want so badly to fix this.) The topic is interesting, and the information is worth the read, but I kept having to put the book down mid-chapter to recover from all the sentence fragments.

Also, he wound up making a couple of arguments that I think he didn't mean: like at the end, when he says children who moved out of poor neighborhoods by age eight were expected to make $300,000 over the course of their careers. He had to have meant
Dillon
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, business, marketing
After reading his first book "Contagious," I'll admit I had pretty high expectations for this book. This book blew them all out of the water! An incredible book that dives deep into how society and identity shape our decisions in such a way as to appear invisible to us.
So many can see the effects of these influences on others, but more often than not, we feel as though we aren't that easily 'tricked.' Well, take a read and learn just how much there is to learn about these Invisible Influences.
Sid
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jonah describes the variety of forces that influence our decision making. He highlights how pop culture can influence what we are exposed to, from books, music to food. How our siblings can shape our lives. The very presence of people/peers can influence how much effort we put into a certain tasks. How hurricanes can influence the choice of baby names. These are a few of the entertaining examples he sprinkles throughout his book. The book was entertaining and could be a good source of ...more
Tim
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Invisible Influence does a great job of explaining some behavioral concepts in an approachable way much like Jonah Berger did with Contagious . If you haven't read a lot of marketing / behavioral books, than this could be a good start, but by no means is it exhaustive on the idea of the invisible forces that effect our decisions.
Michaela Johnson
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book reminds me a lot of Predictably Irrational. It gives great insight and perspective to human nature as proven by various studies. Helps us understanding what shapes people's decisions from relationships to purchasing.
It's a great read for anyone in the sales/marketing and/or psychology arenas.
Nicolas Levy
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall I thought this was an enjoyable read. At first, I was afraid this would be another "airport book" - a breezy read with lots of anecdotes and little real substance. While it is a quick read, Jonah Berger actually references quite a bit of research. Most importantly, he presents the concept of social influence in a cohesive way, starting with why we are influenced by others, then looking at factors that cause us to deviate from others, then looking at how different environments can be ...more
Jake Tenenbaum
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
The second book I've read by Jonah Berger. While I found Contagious to be, well, contagious, I struggled to finish this one. The examples were satisfactory, though unsurprising. I felt this book could have have been replaced by Freakonomics for many of the examples and none would be the wiser.
Becky Leach
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read on how other people shape how you think. The author did great discussing many how people recognize social behavior, but few think it is pertinent to them. Quick read I would recommend to anybody interested in psychology, sociology, or influences.
Darren
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
We can’t directly see it, smell it, taste it or perhaps describe it but it is there – the invisible, subtle influences that affect the decisions we take. We probably believe that we are rational and are in control of our choices, tastes and opinions but let’s not get overly confident with this…

The author sets out to examine literally what makes us tick, how we reach certain decisions and even the impact others, strangers included, can have on our “independent decision-making” processes. Even
Justin Tapp
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology
Invisible Influence: The Hidden Forces that Shape Behavior by Jonah Berger

I have reviewed a lot of books on pop psychology, behavioral economics, “influence science,” and this is just another in the pile. These books compete on the shelf namely by the twist they put on the title and how nice the design of the cover is, they mostly say the same things. It’s a two star read because it just presents a lot of other peoples’ research in a “on the one hand, on the other hand” fashion. The author doesn
Alicia
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it
The book is a quick read without a lot of academic fancy-pants descriptions, instead it is a straightforward approach to digesting the idea that as social animals, we make decisions socially whether we like to believe it or not. Berger describes purchasing decisions, decisions about "right" or "wrong" based on others' responses, how we sometimes do the opposite of what everyone is doing because they're all doing it, how we want to be unique by saying, "everyone's BMW is silver, mine is blue" ...more
Robin
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
What I love most about Invisible Influence is how Berger makes science seem simple and interesting by giving everyday examples to support the research that he cites. He presents seemingly contradictory statements about how much individuals are influenced by others, explaining the circumstances under which each social influence “rule” is likely to apply. The supporting cases in each scenario make it easy to see how invisible influence works in our own lives.

Topics discussed are the social
Kev Willoughby
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How do other people around you shape your life and how are you shaping theirs? That's the one over-arching question that this book answers in very compelling ways, and the research may surprise you. It will certainly entertain you!

This would be a fascinating small group book study, whether at work, at church, or at your local library, and the fact that this book is a study in social phenomenon makes it a perfect fit for study with others. It needs to be discussed and implemented for purposes of
John  Mihelic
Jul 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I end up reading a lot of these kinds of books that are basically repackaged original research (much of it done by other researchers) that is then taken and put a structure around it. The structure allows the author (sometimes a scientist, sometimes a journalist) to tell a story. Hopefully the research helps the story; hopefully the story is interesting and supported by the research.

I would not have picked this up off the shelf if it were not for the cover design, a clever cover that from one
Joy H.
Added 8/25/16. (Published June 14th 2016.)

This book explores "why we act as we do, politically, socially, economically, and emotionally. -Kirkus Reviews
From: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/147... [See this link to read clips from various editorial reviews.]

Thought-provoking. This book made me think about why I make certain choices and decisions.

Greg's GR review said: "This is about how our social connections affect our behavior in many settings. The author discusses several situations where
Anne Janzer
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reading Invisible Influence makes you aware of, well, the invisible. It's easy to laugh at the 300K watch that doesn't tell time, yet uncomfortable to realize just how deeply our desires to appear like (or unlike) others shape our decisions and opinions. The book is fast and fun to read - and the hardcover has creative cover design.
Katherine Rowland
An interesting overview of the topic of social influence, but doesn't dig very deep or offer a lot of evidence of underpinning. The evidence may be there, it just wasn't given much credit. I found the author's writing style distracting, with sentence fragments galore; still, this was a quick and thought-provoking read.
Sequoia
Jan 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Debating between a 3-star and 4. The book is nicely written, easy to follow, with plenty of interesting examples. I think the downside for me is that I didn't get much new from it.
Bonnie
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Overly simplistic. I would have preferred more neuroscience and less sociology.
Andrew
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it

Turns out you make many fewer independent decisions than you thought. Peer pressure is a real thing...you just don't realize it. And so is reverse psychology.
Thomas
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
OK. OK, I'll admit it. I would not have picked this up off the shelf if it were not for the cool, holographic cover design - a clever cover that from one angle shows the title and from the other says “Everyone’s reading it”.

The author's premise is interesting as well-- we don't make decisions that are truly our own. Instead, we are constantly relying on input from others without fully realizing it. He taunts us, saying that we may think we're independent (perhaps even rebels) , but that we're
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Writing to Be Understood: What Works and Why
  • Everything I Know
  • The Leading Brain: Powerful Science-Based Strategies for Achieving Peak Performance
  • IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD
  • Messengers: Who We Listen To, Who We Don't, and Why
  • Cracking the Code to a Successful Interview: 15 Insider Secrets from a Top-Level Recruiter
  • Технологія EQ-BOOST. Як використовувати емоційний інтелект у бізнесі та житті
  • The Infinite Game
  • Socialism Sucks: Two Economists Drink Their Way Through the Unfree World
  • Alchemy: The Surprising Power of Ideas That Don't Make Sense
  • The Here-and-Now Habit: How Mindfulness Can Help You Break Unhealthy Habits Once and for All
  • When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing
  • The Knowledge Illusion: Why We Never Think Alone
  • Shaping the Fourth Industrial Revolution
  • Organize Tomorrow Today: 8 Ways to Retrain Your Mind to Optimize Performance at Work and in Life
  • The Best Investment Advice I Ever Received: Priceless Wisdom from Warren Buffett, Jim Cramer, Suze Orman, Steve Forbes, and Dozens of Other Top Financial Experts
  • 100 Things to Know About History
  • Loserthink: How Untrained Brains Are Ruining America
Jonah Berger is a marketing professor at the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and bestselling author of Contagious: Why Things Catch On and Invisible Influence: The Hidden Forces that Shape Behavior.

Dr. Berger has spent over 15 years studying how social influence works and how it drives products and ideas to catch on. He’s published dozens of articles in top-tier academic journals,