Start by marking “Mystic Summer” as Want to Read:
Mystic Summer

Mystic Summer

A chance run-in with a college boyfriend puts a young woman’s picture-perfect life in perspective in this warm-hearted and lyrical novel—from the author of The Lake Season.

Since finishing graduate school, Maggie Griffin has worked hard to build an enviable life in Boston. She’s an elementary school teacher in a tony Boston suburb, a devoted sister, and a loving aunt. With
Published June 7th 2016 by Atria/Emily Bestler Books

To ask other readers questions about Mystic Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystic Summer

Chelsea Humphrey
Feb 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I'd like to thank Netgalley for my digital copy in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I thought this was the perfect book to get me in the Valentine's spirit! A little romance and lighter reading to give my brain a break from my typical dark thrillers. The plot is very straight forward and nothing "new"; however, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for in this. I wanted something predictable so I could focus on "all of the feels" and escaping into someone else's world for a bit.

This was an ex
Feb 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-books, chick-lit
When I first saw the blurb for this book, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt I'd be reading it. The protagonist of this novel grew up in Mystic, CT and then relocates to teach in a tony Boston suburb. I lived in Mystic for many years and now live in a tony Boston suburb. I wasn't expecting great literature, but I had to see if McKinnon got the sense of place right -- in both places.

This book doesn't purport to be anything other than an enjoyable beach read, and on that measure it delivers (even f
Melissa
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the quintessential summer read. Light and breezy, with just enough depth to keep me interested.

The author transported me to the Connecticut coast with her words. I could picture the river and the New England charm all round me. And Mystic Pizza, who hasn’t heard of Mystic Pizza? If you have no clue what I’m talking about, drop everything and watch the movie - it’s a classic!

Sometimes it’s the unexpected moments that shake things up the most and land us in the spot we’re meant to be. And
Eva • All Books Considered
Review originally posted at All Books Considered: 2.5 STARS

So I have yet to find a summer release that I LOVE this year in terms of all the beach reads. Before this, I read the latest by Nancy Thayer, Mary Kay Andrews, Shelley Noble (DNF) and Dorothea Benton Frank, none of which I loved this year! I was hoping that this one would break my streak and be that perfect beach read but wow, what a dud! This was so boring that had it been any longer, I probably wouldn't have bothered to finish it. An
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This book was one of my 20 Summer Reads and I am so glad I chose it. It was a light, easy story to read but had a good storyline that kept me interested. It was a romance, but there was a lot more to it than that. The story takes place in Mystic Connecticut and there is even a reference to the movie, Mystic Pizza.

When Maggie finds out that she is probably going to lose her job teaching at the private school in Boston due to budget cuts, she is not sure what her future holds. Not only that, but
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
If you’re headed to the beach this season and need a cute, light read with a lot of heart, make sure you pack Mystic Summer by Hannah McKinnon! Charming and romantic, it casts a nostalgic look at friendship and family and crafts a love story that will make you smile. But deeper than all of that is the theme of finding “home”, how it’s more than just a city or a house but something inherent in each of us.

Both Cameron and Evan seemed like good matches for Maggie, and I actually wavered a couple of
Laurel-Rain
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maggie Griffin and Erika Crane have been best friends for many years, and now, while sharing an apartment in Boston’s Back Bay, their friendship is about to take another turn.

Erika and her fiancé Trent Mitchell are planning a summer wedding.

Meanwhile, Maggie is ending the school year, teaching at Darby, a private school, and her future as a teacher is up in the air due to budget cuts.

Will going home to Mystic, Connecticut, for Erika’s wedding help Maggie figure things out, even as she plays a su
Aimie
Mystic Summer: A Novel is about a young woman named Maggie, who seems to have the perfect life. Teaching at a private school in Boston, her boyfriend wanting to move in with her, and her best friend getting married and she is the co-maid of honour. But when her life in Boston begins to unravel she finds herself back to her hometown of Mystic, Connecticut, and her family.

Upon returning to Mystic, Maggie runs into her ex-boyfriend, Cam. From there, she discovers that he has not only returned
Kathryn
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-arc, romance, 4-star
Mystic Summer is a delightful story of a woman reassessing where she is going in life and making the right adjustments. We make the journey with her. The school year is winding down, and it looks like Maggie might have to look for another job.

Evan her "everything is so right" boyfriend seems perfect for her. He is thoughtful and handsome and in a TV series. However as Peyton (a friend) points out pertinently there are one or two differences that could count.

Then there is Cameron and the adorabl
Chelsea
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Perfect curl up on the couch and finish in 2 days type of book! A bit predictable, but I loved it! It's a feel good book. I'd love to read more by author!
Anna
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
I am such trash for these classic beach reads. The ones that have the most predictable plot lines, and pretty basic characters that you feel you've read about at least 50 times. But, I'm a sucker for them. I get so enveloped into these stories- it's like candy. So yeah, perfect beach read, super cute, and bonus: it takes place in a small New England village :)

"I have always taken pride in my skill to find good in all of my students"
Karielle at Books à la Mode
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog
It occurs to me that so far my summer consists of living everyone else's lives. My students' lives, my family's lives, and that of my best friend. And though I groan inwardly when I think of all these commitments I have to follow through on, I realize there's one thing bothering me most of all; beyond them, where are my own?

When she's blindsided by a trio of seemingly unconnected events—her best friend Erika's summer wedding, a heartbreaking potential layoff, and a chance run-in with an ex-boyfr
Lori Palmer (Palmer's Page Turners)
I loved this book! I really enjoyed The Lake Season and was excited to read another book by this great author! I became immersed in Mystic Summer immediately--and found myself wishing I was actually in Mystic as well! I loved Maggie as a character and related to her so well. I loved watching Maggie and Erika's friendship over the summer as things changed--Erika's wedding meant they would no longer be roommates, but the summer also brought them closer together by revealing truths to each other. A ...more
Denise
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thank you, Net Galley for this Advanced Review Copy, in exchange for an honest review!

I am incredibly jealous for anyone that gets to read this book during the summer! This book will be an essential item to pack up on a trip to the beach or a summer get away.

Having just moved away from Mystic I am feeling crazy homesick for it! The author did a beautiful job working Mystic, and all that it has to offer into the story. If I closed my eyes, I could almost feel the salty air and smell the changing
Lori
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Really good summer read. Light but engaging, predictable but not in a bad way. I really like this author!
Book
Jan 30, 2016 added it
Shelves: 2016
I can't say this wasn't a little bit predictable, BUT that didn't keep me from enjoying it. The writing was great and I would definitely read another book from this author.
KPod
Apr 04, 2016 rated it liked it
. I loved this book!! I may be a little bias because it takes place in my town but this book is charming. Perfect summer read. Highly recommend!!!
Tara
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a perfectly light and entertaining pre-summer book.
Kate Widhalm
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute beach read. I needed something light and fun and this sure fit the bill!
Corey
Oct 12, 2016 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed reading this novel and it was a perfect light read for me. My gripe with it though is that it seems that the really emotional/dramatic scenes take place off the page. We have all of this lead up to something and then it takes place before the next chapter where it's mentioned in passing.

Still, it's a great choice for when you need a palate cleanser from something more gritty and I enjoyed my time with this book.
Christina (Reading Extensively)

Maggie is a teacher at a private school in Boston and as summer vacation starts, she has to deal with the upheaval of finding a new place as her best friend and roommate is getting married. She also finds out that she may not have a job next year due to funding issues at her school. Maggie's boyfriend Evan isn't as supportive as she'd hoped. When circumstances lead to Maggie going back to her hometown of Mystic, Connecticut she is surprised to run into Cameron Wilder, her onetime boyfri
Karyn Niedert
RELEASE DATE: June 21, 2016

RATING: 3 Stars Worth taking to the beach but won’t freak if it gets a little wet

GENRE: Contemporary Fiction / Chick Lit / Beach Read

AUDIENCE: Fans of Hannah McKinnon’s earlier book “The Lake Season” and readers of Nancy Thayer, Linda Francis Lee, and Michelle Gable will enjoy “Mystic Summer”.

SERIES: Standalone

REVIEW: “Mystic Summer” was my first dive into the books we will get to enjoy this summer, and I am immensely glad I had a sneak peek at McKinnon’s next book. He
Lesa
Are you familiar with the term "new adults"? It refers to twenty-somethings, on their own, making major life decisions. Hannah McKinnon's Mystic Summer is definitely for that audience.

Maggie Griffin is perfectly happy with her life in Boston. She teaches at a private day school, and she has a handsome actor boyfriend, Evan. She's a little uneasy with the wedding preparations for her best friend, Erika, though. When Erika marries, everything will change. Her friends will be married, buying houses
Kristy
Maggie Griffin seems to have the perfect life - she has a good teaching job at a private school in Boston, even if some of the parents can be a little trying sometimes. She has a loving boyfriend who wants to move in with her. Her best friend is getting married and Maggie is co-maid of honor. She even has a supportive family back in her hometown of Mystic, Connecticut. But when things start to unravel in Boston, Maggie finds herself back in Mystic. She tells herself it's just because her best fr ...more
Shreeka
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Rating: 2.5 stars

This could have been a 4 stars book for me because I actually did enjoy this book. But I just can't get over that disappointing ending. I felt the author hastily tried to end the story. There wasn't even an epilogue. Yes, there was a happy ending and Maggie did end up with the guy we were all rooting for. I just wasn't satisfied with the way they ended up together. I also wasn't satisfied with a couple of other things. (view spoiler)
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
Maggie Griffin lives a normal life in Boston. She's an elementary school teacher at a private school, she has a devoted boyfriend, and she is an caring aunt to her sister's children. She grew up in Mystic, Connecticut with her best friend, Erika, and they have a lot to look forward to this summer. Erika is getting married and Maggie plans on enjoying her summer with her dreamy boyfriend. But all of this changes when Maggie finds out that her position at the private school is being cut due to the ...more
Jen
Jul 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Lauren R.
Really, really enjoyable. It lacked some oomph for some reason- like I wanted just a bit MORE for it to be a favorite. I adored the Mystic setting, the writing style, and most of the characters. Can't put my finger on what's missing, but very glad I read it. I'll definitely be checking out her other novels!
Courtney
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the story and the characters, but as a local I definitely agree with other reviewers that it felt unrealistic for the characters to eat at (or really even mention) Mystic Pizza that much. It was fun reading a novel set in my hometown anyway though ☺
Jenn
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this, but I admit it may be because I'm completely biased towards it because it's set in Mystic, and the author is a fellow Conn College graduate. But it's a sweet story, and better written than a lot of stuff in this genre. Definitely a perfect beach read!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Santorini Sunsets
  • The Wedding Sisters
  • Sunshine Beach (Ten Beach Road, #4)
  • By the Numbers
  • The Summertime Girls
  • Summer at Hideaway Key
  • Every Time You Go Away
  • It Comes in Waves
  • Summer Dance
  • Just for the Summer (Lake Bliss, #1)
  • A Bump in the Road
  • In Twenty Years
  • When We Meet Again
  • The Bridge Tender (Sunset Beach #4)
  • Stargazey Nights