Start by marking “Get a Financial Life: Personal Finance in Your Twenties and Thirties” as Want to Read:
Get a Financial Life: Personal Finance in Your Twenties and Thirties

Get a Financial Life: Personal Finance in Your Twenties and Thirties

A completely revised and updated fourth edition of the New York Times bestseller, designed to guide younger adults through the world of personal finance.

More than ever before, people in their twenties and thirties need help getting their financial lives in order. And who could blame them?

These so-called millennials have come of age in the wake of the worst economic crisis
Published March 21st 2017 by Simon Schuster (first published May 6th 1996)

Start your review of Get a Financial Life: Personal Finance in Your Twenties and Thirties
Sheri
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A comprehensive, easy to read guide to personal finance. Practical advice on managing your money and avoiding costly mistakes. Although marketed to younger adults, I highly recommend this book to anyone seeking to understand money matters and make smarter financial decisions.
Sabine
A very helpful guide written for young people - the younger you are when you read AND IMPLEMENT these financial strategies the easier and better.

It covers all the basics for a good start to handle your personal finances but even if you are reading this later in life it is great advice to turn things around and get control over your debt and how to save and invest.

Easy to read and understand - a must read for every young person. The sooner the better!!!
steph
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Honestly one of the best financial books I've read in the last few years. I've been reading this on and off for the last six weeks, part of a chapter here, a chapter there and it's been so helpful. It gives a nice overview of different financial advice that I think can be for all ages, not just 20's and 30's. There are chapters on debt, banking, investing, insurance, renting, home ownership, taxes, military benefits, etc. So I just skipped around and read the chapters relevant/interesting to me ...more
Rose
Quick review for a quick read. I think this is another very helpful resource for literature centering on personal finances and money management. This fourth edition of "Get A Financial Life: Personal Finance in Your Twenties and Thirties" cover a lot of ground - from navigating credit scores, credit card and various types of loans to investing in stocks and bonds, finding a bank institution that works for you, and addressing claims during tax filing. I found the work to be well organized, easy ...more
Yong Hoon
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A no-nonsense guide to the very basics of personal finance, written for people who know nothing about it. I'm not sure people in their thirties would get that much out of it, but for someone like me who's about to graduate college and go off into the real world, it had some really great advice. Regardless of whether you want to follow Kobliner's exact recommendations or not, her overviews of the individual topics (investing, insurance, taxes, budgeting, etc.) are very clear and well-written, and ...more
Anita
Sep 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book assumes its reader knows essentially nothing - nada - squadoosh - about finance, and manages to do so without assuming a condescending tone. And I like that. It actually made me feel like, hey, I already know some of this stuff. I am not a complete personal finance moron. (Hardly.) To me, the most helpful information was on the topics of investing, car loans and renting vs. owning, but Kobliner covers several other areas as well.
Colona Public Library
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ashley, non-fiction
I've been reading a lot about personal finance recently and I really like this book. It covers all of the basics and this guide is really easy to understand and give you practical and good advise. I would highly recommend to people who are new to learning about personal finance, I'm probably going to pick this book up again to reread some sections (like investing and taxes). ~Ashley
Shannon
A good book for people who don't know much about money management, investing, buying a house and all the other issues as one accumulates assets and liabilities. Less useful to the experienced but worth a fast read.

MY GRADE: C plus to B minus (higher for first-timers)
Andy
Mar 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I first gave this a rating of 4 stars, but I have recently re-read portions of it, and decided to raise this to 5 stars. Actually, I feel very fortunate that I read this when I did, which was just dumb luck (I think I bought it at an airport bookstore when I was traveling once shortly after college, and bought it on a whim).

It's not that it's the best personal finance book ever written; there may be others that are as good or better. It's not that it is incredibly detailed; it just covers basic
Samantha Zee
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm torn between giving this a 4 and a 5, but I'll round up because I think EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS.

Get A Financial Life is literally the textbook-that-reads-more-like-spark-notes to getting your finances in order as a young adult. Firstly, this book was released years ago, but just released an updated 2017 version so everything is 100% accurate (tho technically you can put $18500 into your 401k for 2018, up $500 from last year when this was released, but that's easily forgivable).

The first
Jo
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Helpful and well laid out, but despite my efforts I was so bored. That wasn't Kobliner's fault, she did her best! The one thing I was confused by was that the book just ends, with no final wrap up.
Sierra
This book was very informative and contained a lot of useful information. I definitely learned a lot. For example, it is better for someone my age (mid-twenties) to have disability insurance than life insurance. I had previously been thinking about purchasing a life insurance policy but after reading this book, I will instead look into disability insurance. Also, when the time comes, it will be better to have a life insurance policy for either my husband or I (whoever has the higher salary), ...more
Zoe
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Practical knowledge explained in a simple, but not annoyingly simple, way. Helpful chapters on insurance and taxes, which other finance books I've read haven't covered.
Isaac
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beth Kobliner's book is a great introduction to the most important financial topics that young people need to be considering as they move toward independence. For many young people, the importance of saving for retirement, or buying a house, or buying insurance is not immediately obvious, and Kobliner does a good job at introducing each of these topics without assuming any existing knowledge on the part of the reader. She also is very practical in her advice. The first chapter is basically the ...more
Marissa V.
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This book was everything that I had been looking for. I graduated from law school in 2015, and since then, I have been looking for someone/something to help me figure out how to manage my finances. I didn't understand how much money should go to loans vs. my savings account, and I wasn't sure what investments I should be making and how to prioritize all of my financial goals. This books lays it out in a very easy to read and follow way. The author addresses each section as it pertains to a ...more
Samantha
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm probably a little smarter having read this. Still can't afford my student loan payments though.
Kara
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
The tricky thing with trying to get up to speed on personal finances is that you don't know what you don't know: Without some kind of pre- existing financial knowledge, it's hard to determine what you should research further. This book helps remedy the situation, as Kobliner gives a brief overview of financial topics you should know in your 20s and 30s.

I don't see this book as a comprehensive, turnkey guide, but rather a broad survey that will help you figure out where you need to do some deeper
Lydia
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone age 25 to 35 interested in personal finance
This book was super informative. If you're in your late twenties and early thirties (like me), this covers everything you wanted to know about personal finance that is comprehensive and easy to understand.

This book is also super depressing. Yes, Kobliner gives you hope and the tools to change your future but still, it's pretty depressing if you are in your late twenties and early thirties (like me) and haven't done enough for retirement. I was stressed out most of the time I was reading this
Sep 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not finish this book. While some of the informational content was helpful, I did not agree with all of the advice and stopped maybe 1/4-1/3 of the way through. I don’t believe that everyone will “eventually” end up in debt and don’t think it’s smart to promote juggling credit cards for the best teaser rates. If you are looking to understand how loans, credit cards, interest rates, etc. function, then this would be a great, thorough resource. I just don’t think the advice in it is the best!
Kate
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Praise the lord for this book. If you're like me and you grew up in America, you'll know that few people receive a formal education in even the basics of financial literacy (thank capitalism--the more money confuses you, the more likely you are to spend it on financial services that you don't need, or to not put it in money-growing institutions at all). This book is your answer! I read the 2009 version, which has some outdated information, but the large majority of it is still solid, practical ...more
James Carter
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Get a Financial Life is an okay but very basic book, and the author definitely made the subject more complicated than it had to be. I learned some things, but there was a lot of irrelevant information. A glaring failure on the author's part is the lack of explanation of SCRA benefits for those who serve or have served in the military. All in all, Get a Financial Life is a good start if you are clueless about money or life for that matter.
Vrinda
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well, probably like most people, I don’t really like thinking about or reading about money because it usually feels stressful, or boring, or abstract. But I figured it’s important, and this was a very useful and read-able book which I’m glad to have read. Chapters included insurance, renting/buying a home, retirement, banking, taxes, etc. I got a better understanding of how some things work, and useful tips on things like avoiding credit fraud and saving for retirement. It’s a useful format with ...more
Carrie
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quality nonfiction casting a wide net. If you're looking for some financial guidance or wondering what you're missing, this will start you out. It can also help give you some terms to search if you need some depth on a topic. And finally, there are plenty of equations and examples in here that will help illustrate why she makes certain recommendations for your financial habits.
Christina A
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
In general had some very good advice. I'm fortunate enough that my parents taught me most of it before reading the book!

But I did really enjoy the sections on investing, home buying, and on taxes. Those were the most useful to me.
Sokcheng
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
As someone NOT from the US, I started this book with quite a large amount of apprehension. Now that I've finished it, I have to say it's not that bad after all. I get some good general advice on budgeting, saving and investing. and the chapters of US specific topics like tax, insurance and military benefits were read lightly for fun and understanding of my fellow r/personalfinance folks.

The style of the writing itself is quite dense and dry. I appreciate the efforts to make it relevant to
Spencer Thompson
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finance
Excellent coverage of the basic financial topics any young person needs to be familiar with including investing, debt management, taxes, insurance, and homeownership.
Tanner Curtis
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Breezy read packed with tons of great info. Skimmed or passed over some sections less relevant to me. Looking forward to putting some of these steps into action!
Ben
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-growth
Really good overview of pretty much everything needed to live as an adult. Helpful for me now, as a 32 year old with a mortgage, kids, etc. Would have been extremely helpful had I read it 10 years ago.
Darin Shreves
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that sparked my interest in personal finance. A great introduction to and overview of the topic.
Ging Cee
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I appreciated this book for its tone, informativeness, and practical advice. As an avid fan and reader of Suze Orman books in the past, I did feel like there was less “new” information presented here. That said, it is also updated with useful modern references and resources. If there is someone in their 20s or 30s who is in possession of any sort of debt and/or does not have much by way of understanding the basics of personal finance, I would 100% recommend this to them.

What I ended up doing is

• Broke Millennial: Stop Scraping by and Get Your Financial Life Together
  • All Your Worth: The Ultimate Lifetime Money Plan
  • Broke Millennial Takes on Investing: A Beginner's Guide to Leveling Up Your Money
  • Your Money or Your Life
  • Millennial Money Makeover: Escape Debt, Save for Your Future, and Live the Rich Life Now
  • Smart Women Finish Rich: 9 Steps to Achieving Financial Security and Funding Your Dreams
  • Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes And How To Correct Them: Lessons From The New Science Of Behavioral Economics
  • Why Didn't They Teach Me This in School?: 99 Personal Money Management Principles to Live by
  • If You Can: How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly
  • Personal Finance for Dummies
  • Millennial Money: How Young Investors Can Build a Fortune
  • I Will Teach You to Be Rich: No Guilt. No Excuses. No BS. Just a 6-Week Program That Works
  • Set for Life: Dominate Life, Money, and the American Dream
  • The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
  • A Random Walk Down Wall Street: The Time-Tested Strategy for Successful Investing
  • The Index Card: Why Personal Finance Doesn’t Have to Be Complicated
  • The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy
One of the nation’s leading authorities on personal finance for young people,BETH KOBLINERis a commentator and journalist, and author of theNew York TimesbestsellersGET A FINANCIAL LIFE & MAKE YOUR KID A MONEY GENIUS (EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT). Available now on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, & wherever books are sold.

In 2010, Beth was selected by President Barack Obama to be a member of the