Start by marking “Lies We Believe About God” as Want to Read:
Lies We Believe About God

Lies We Believe About God

From the author of the twenty million plus copy bestselling novel The Shack and the New York Times bestsellers Cross Roads and Eve comes a compelling, conversational exploration of the wrong-headed ideas we sometimes have and share about God.

Wm. Paul Young has been called a heretic for the ways he vividly portrays God’s love through his novels. Here he shares twenty-eight
Published March 7th 2017 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Lies We Believe About God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lies We Believe About God

Start your review of Lies We Believe About God
Hannah
Oct 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
I should have known better, you know. I'm like the cat who just made it to his eighth life. It was on the shelf at the bookstore, and I had to poke my nose in and see if it was decent or not. Not even being able to finish The Shack, because of theological issues and bad writing, you'd think I could have inferred where he stood theologically.

I guess I just wanted to give him a chance to say he actually did believe in the God of the Bible, the God of the New Testament. To share that the Bible is t
David Steele
Mar 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: bad-books
Lies We Believe About God is the latest book from the author of The Shack, WM. Paul Young. The author originally penned The Shack at the request of his wife as a Christmas gift to his six children. First published in 2007, this book has sold over 20 million copies and was recently unveiled as a feature film.

The Shack struck a central chord in people, many of whom confess that the storyline helped them overcome personal pain and tragedy, what the author refers to as, the Great Sadness. Wes Yoder
R. E. Banks
Jun 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Paul Young quotes the Bible about 5 degrees off -- twisting it to his meanings. Gee, where have we seen THAT before? When the devil was tempting Jesus he quoted scripture out of context and that is exactly what Paul Young does. He also claims that everyone is going to heaven (a nice thought, and I dearly wish it were true) even though the Bible clearly states that the only way to heaven is through Jesus Christ. Don't even bother reading. A great concept -- checking what the Bible actually says i ...more
Joy Matteson
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I normally hate book titles that are a run-on the theme of "10 lies we believe about God", or "10 myths about Christianity". Ugh. Snippets of popular but heavily cliched epithets that only confirm what the reader probably already suspects, confirming their bias.

This book is not that, thankfully. These lies are so much more insidious, not ones you might hear tossed around during a Sunday morning. (Although you might.) These are lies we tell ourselves, subconsciously through our actions.

I found it
Jeremiah Ketchum
Mar 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Simply put, this book denies essential truths of the Christian faith. He teaches universalism (that we don't need to be saved -- all will get there) (Ch.13), denies the reality of hell (Ch. 15), tinkers with the Fatherhood of God (as in The Shack) (Ch. 7), denies that sin separates us from God (Ch. 27), scoffs at the sovereignty of God (Ch. 3), and denies that the atonement was unnecessary (Ch. 19).

These are not simple disagreements or petty squabblings. The Apostle Paul boldly asserted: "But ev
Erin Henry
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So good! I listened to it and then immediately ordered it so I could reread parts.
Julia Walker
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Exceptional! What a gift this is for both the churched and the non-churched. This is a must read for everyone.
Sandy
Mar 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arcs, disappointed, 2017
I didn't love The Shack by William Paul Young. I liked that it challenged me to think more deeply, but I fundamentally disagreed with a lot of the theological aspects about God as described by it. Truly the only way I made it through reading The Shack was to remind myself that it was a work of fiction. I wish I'd re-read my review of The Shack before deciding to request Lies We Believe About God, but I didn't. What I did was remember that while I didn't agree with everything William Paul Young s ...more
Mark
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wm. Paul Young takes twenty-six phrases that are found in many parts of traditional Christianity and shows why they are lies. Some of the phrases are commonly spoken verbatim, while others may not be said aloud very often, but are still strongly implied. A few of the phrases are twists on more traditional sayings, but what many actually mean to say or heard. Each of the twenty-six are composed as short essays which can be read in a few minutes.

Having spent a large part of my life in a mostly tra
Katrina Strickland
Mind-blowing

I have been a fan of the author for a few years, but this is by far my now favorite book of his. After many years, since my childhood, I have had this image of who God was. For the past year and half, I have struggled with that said image and it made me angry and want to abandon my beliefs. This book has being to change my mind and life. I could not put it down. It spoke right to my soul and every thought I had about God, and knowing something was not right. There were times I wanted
Liza Fireman
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
If there is a religion that I am willing to join, it is Paul Young's religion. I started with reading The Shack, that entertained as well as shocked me, and made me think. Young's religion is not the one I know and heard about. It is a religion of Love, love yourself and love others. And that is pretty much why everybody that is religious and read this book seem to be furious.

I will add a few of my favorite parts, that will explain why I appreciate him so much:
Young goes against people that blam
Ebookwormy1
For those, like myself, who argued that Young's The Shack, was heretical and dangerous, this book provides verification of our concerns. There is nothing new here. It's kind of a baby boomer rebellion universalist work, surely written in response to the popularity of the Shack.

But really, all the introductory disclaimers aside, this book is a theology text-theology according to Young. In this topic, there are myriad better books that discuss God as revealed in the Bible. If you are interested i
Judy D Collins
Review to follow.
Amanda
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fresh and honest look at some of the "lies" that we are taught to so readily accept as truth. I don't know that I agree with all of the conclusions made by young here, but I think it's worth a read to gain some perspective.

I didn't care for the motif of blindness throughout the book to describe how we tend to embrace these lies. Also it would probably be helpful to have read The Shack before reading this one. I still haven't and there are a lot of references to it throughout.
Joan
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Young, author of The Shack, gives us his thoughts on the character of God. He says he is not presenting certainty but is establishing a conversation over rearranging his theology. Each chapter contains a statement he once believed and then his exploration of his change in belief.

While I do not agree with much (or most) of what Young says, I do think this book is good in that it makes us look at what we do believe about God. Young portrays a God he can live with, understand, and like. He is a God
Patti
Jun 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
I only gave this book 1 star because you can't give it zero stars and have the rating show. After the publishing of The Shack there was endless debate about what Young meant. This book should put all of that debate to rest. Young spells it out. Because of space, the whole book can't specifically be reviewed, but there are a few things that are essential. In chapter 13, Young confesses to believing in universal salvation. "Are you suggesting that everyone is saved? That you believe in universal s ...more
Shannon
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Young is an amazing author. While not his typical fiction...all of which I've read and loved...this book carries the honesty and forthrightness that is present in all he writes. I particularly liked references to The Shack, as it gave me not only a better understanding of what this book presented, but also the particular scenes in The Shack. I've already recommended this to my friends, and would recommend it to all who are looking, maybe not for answers - there where few concepts presented t ...more
Joan
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Twenty-eight vignettes offer readers new ways of looking at commonly-held beliefs about the nature and character of God. Meant to encourage discussion and introspection, not to change individually-held beliefs, these are thought-provoking ideas designed to prompt readers to examine their convictions in light of what scripture reveals.

Rather than being theological, the narrative encourages readers to explore as it provides a starting point for consideration and discussion as it seeks to bring re
Ken Christianson
Aug 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is not Biblical Christianity, this is the gospel according to William Paul Young. If he doesn't like a Biblical idea like the atonement, the sovereignty of God, or hell, he just does away with them. If there is a Biblical concept he likes, such as the imago dei, he hammers that point home over and over again. If God submits to you, that makes you god, and that essentially is what Mr Young is claiming in this book. The title is incredibly ironic in light of the lies that infest this book.
Gordon Gauss
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jacqueline
What is interesting about this book is that the reviews tend to be quite high or quite low. I read this book to the best of my ability with an open mind and found I agree with almost all of Mr. Young's principals. The reviews don't talk much about how is was written but what it was written about. Sometimes when our beliefs are challenged it doesn't set well.
Charlie Miller
Mar 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017
Denies major key principals of the Christian faith that have been wrestled with for centuries.
Bob Schilling
May 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book would be more accurately titled, if it was changed to, "Lies I Believe About God" by Wm. Paul Young.

The infamous author of "The Shack" (and a couple of other titles), has now come out in plain non-fiction to announce his apostasy from Christianity. His intentions are otherwise: Liberalism and unbelief *in the church* have always sought to "save" Christianity, but in their efforts to do so, they always abandon Christianity. If you like guys like Brian McLaren (https://www.challies.com/
Steve Watson
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read a number of the one star reviews on goodreads, and they saddened me. They angrily critique Young's orthodoxy, judged by his style and their own narrow tradition of the faith, rather than through a more historical understanding of the breadth of Christian faith or by the ancient creeds, which would be more proper touchstones for questions of Christian orthodoxy, if that sort of thing interests you.

I found Young's book winsome and helpful. He expresses a Jesus-centered view of God that take
Manuel Sanchez
Absolutely loved this book! To all of my friends and family, even those remotely spiritual or inquisitive, I highly recommend reading this. Troubled by God's seeming silence before many adversities and trials? Lost in the labyrinth created by many, of a transactional God who favors only the pious and answers only the prayer of the most fervent? I don't agree with everything Mr. Young proposes, but there is a lot here that I have thought about and this book helped coalesce in my heart and mind. I ...more
Geoff Hansell
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm about halfway through the book, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I loved the shack and eagerly bought lies we believe... the day it came out. Paul definitely has the gift of my story God's story nailed. I can only read a few chapters, or lies if you prefer, at a time because I have to put my mind back together before I can move on. This book is exactly what I expected, thank you Mr. Young for putting me in touch with my God, my Jesus, and my Spirit. This book is a blessing! My only complaint ...more
Diana L Watkins
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent...man has made the word of God and his salvation so complicated and this book breaks it down in simplicity....I would recommend this book to anyone that wants to really know the love God has for each of us....complete and unconditional....

We all have a tendency to put God in a box and believe everything the church tells us. Jesus said, it is finished....no buts....no have tos....finished, completed, He did it all for us...
Anna
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has opened the door of my heart to the things I wonder about in my walk with the Lord. At times it will shake your thinking and with much prayer lead you to truth about our Father whom we lo g to be loved by. Enjoy the journey for yourself.

Don't let preconceptions rob you from the journey of knowing the one who loves you most Father God. Enjoy and Breathe.
Karla Seyb-Stockton
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So refreshing to hear what I have long suspected and finally come to believe articulated so clearly. I am thankful for this book. It will help me talk to people about my faith, how I understand the truth of God in Jesus and how it fits me but not always the church. I will definitely read this again.
Sharon Thomsen
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
People either loved it or hated it. I like that it challenged me to think about what I believe about God, why, and how I came to that belief. I felt like some chapters were cut short and didn’t have enough depth or explanation, but for me it is still a worthy read.
Teresa Hubbard
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love it that he was bold enough to deeply search out these topics. While I have differing view points on some issues, I think he is very thorough in his study and research. I loved getting inside his head as he journeyed through his study. Read this after I read "The Shack".
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Sinners in the Hands of a Loving God: The Scandalous Truth of the Very Good News
  • A More Christlike God: A More Beautiful Gospel
  • That All Shall Be Saved: Heaven, Hell, and Universal Salvation
  • A Farewell to Mars: An Evangelical Pastor's Journey Toward the Biblical Gospel of Peace
  • The Shack Revisited: There Is More Going On Here than You Ever Dared to Dream
  • Her Gates Will Never Be Shut: Hell, Hope, and the New Jerusalem
  • Inspired: Slaying Giants, Walking on Water, and Loving the Bible Again
  • When Narcissism Comes to Church: Healing Your Community from Emotional and Spiritual Abuse
  • How the Bible Actually Works: In Which I Explain How An Ancient, Ambiguous, and Diverse Book Leads Us to Wisdom Rather Than Answers—and Why That's Great News
  • The Inescapable Love of God
  • Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life
  • The Sin of Certainty: Why God Desires Our Trust More Than Our "Correct" Beliefs
  • The Blue Parakeet, 2nd Edition: Rethinking How You Read the Bible
  • Learning to Speak God from Scratch: Why Sacred Words Are Vanishing-and How We Can Revive Them
  • What Is the Bible?: How an Ancient Library of Poems, Letters, and Stories Can Transform the Way You Think and Feel About Everything
  • Breathing Underwater: Spirituality and the 12 Steps
  • The Divine Dance: The Trinity and Your Transformation
Wm. Paul Young is a Canadian author. Young was the oldest of four. He spend the majority of his first decade with his missionary parents in the highlands of Netherlands New Guinea (West Papua), among the Dani, a tribal people. When he was six he was sent to a boarding school.

The manuscript, that later became The Shack, was intended only for his six kids and for a handful of close friends. After mu