Start by marking “Ink and Bone” as Want to Read:
Ink and Bone

Ink and Bone

(The Hollows #5)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  10,673 ratings  ·  1,589 reviews
In this explosive psychological thriller by New York Times bestselling author Lisa Unger, a young woman’s mysterious gift forces her into the middle of a dangerous investigation of a little girl’s disappearance.

For as long as she can remember, twenty-year-old Finley Montgomery has been able to see into the future. She dreams about events before they occur and sees beyond t
Published June 7th 2016 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Ink and Bone, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Mary
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jim nope, not even close. and i mean that in a bad way, sadly.

·  10,673 ratings  ·  1,589 reviews

Start your review of Ink and Bone
Chelsea Humphrey
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Wow. Where to begin. For those of you who have followed all her series and other books involving “The Hollows”, this one is a BIG deal. No spoilers here, but there is major character and plot development. I’ve read almost all of Lisa Unger’s books; I was first hooked when I picked up a copy of Fragile in the B&N clearance section and she quickly became one of my top 10 authors to read after devouring Beautiful Lies, Sliver of Truth, Black Out, & Die For You. I’ve read all her other books as well ...more
NReads
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 stars

What a read. It took me a long time to read this, but in the end it was so worth it.

“Life is an impossible twist of choice and circumstance. One rarely exists without the other.”

This is how you write a thriller. Full excitement. Amazing characters. Solid story and very beautifully written.

I like the paranormal aspect of this novel.

Finley has superpowers. She can see into the future. She can't control it.
She moves to The Hollows.
Everything happens there. She finds herself in the middle of
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Still $1.99 on kindle as of 8/7/16

******SOME SPOILERS******

Abbey Gleason is taken after a savage attack while hiking with her father and brother. Where is she? Who has her? Is she still alive?

Finley Montgomery moves in with her grandmother, Eloise. Finley goes to college and Eloise helps her to understand the ghosts that come to her and with her dreams of events that have occurred. Eloise is a psychic and works with the police department at times.

Finley keeps hearing this sound in her head and
Linda
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
"We don't choose; we are chosen."

Finley Montgomery, twenty-one and teaming with paranormal gifts, hears the beckoning sound of "Squeak-clink" like a constant tolling bell within her. Not only is this particular sound a daily visitor that rests within her mind, but she sees the likes of a young boy playing with a train on the floor and three evasive young sisters that drift in and out of her field of vision like flames in a cluster of candles.

Finley now harbors these abilities through the lifebl
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I didn't think I would enjoy this book as much as I did when I read the blurb. I thought it would go all Backwoods Physic on me.

Umm nevermind..that sounds right up my alley.

Finley has moved to "The Hollows" because she doesn't get along with her mom and her Grandmother has some of the same 'gifts' that she does. Sorta see dead peopley. Finley is a pretty decent character..she has funky hair, drives a motorcycle, has tattoos all over. I liked her.

Her grandmother is usually the one that gets
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“The woods are lovely, dark and deep, she thought. But I have promises to keep. And miles to go before I sleep.”

Well what was a pleasant surprise! For some reason I thought a bazillion of my friends had read this, but it turns out only Jess has. I should probably go get a CAT scan or MRI at this point to find out what the hell is wrong with me. Anywho, I had never read Lisa Unger before (I actually also thought this was a debut
Krystin Rachel
Book Blog | Bookstagram

“Never talk to strangers. If someone ever tries to take you, fight with everything you have. Scream as loud as you can. (He’d never told her what to do if the man was too strong and there was no one to hear her screaming.)”

Filed Under: I See Dead People

I don’t know why I keep trying books with psychic characters because I never like them.

Also, apparently, this could technically be considered part of series called The Hollows, but I have zero experience with Lisa Unger
Sr3yas
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What do you get when you mix a savage attack, an abducted child, a grieving mother, a flawed father, a veteran private detective, a psychic young adult, and a creepy remote town?

Wow, That's an excruciatingly specific concoction you got there, Sreyas. I think you are referring to Ink and Bone.

Damn, Are you a psychic too?

Everybody knows everybody in the Hollows.

Strap in and take a ride to the Hollows, a low key creepy town with some low key tourist attractions. Young Abbey, along with her brot
Diana | Book of Secrets
Unfortunately this book didn't click with me, and clearly I'm in the minority here, because there are many, many great reviews for INK AND BONE. Reading this book, I felt like I'd been dropped in the middle of an ongoing saga, like there's a whole lot of back story I should already know. Besides that, there just seemed to be so much going on, so many subplots and characters, so many POVs, that it made me dizzy.

The main storyline involves the kidnapping of a young girl while the family was vacati
chan ☆
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
the premise & first 20% of this book were SUPER intriguing but ultimately this lacked in both thrill and mystery. nice to know that i don't hate ALL speculative/supernatural elements in these sorts of books (which i thought was the case prior to reading this), but sucked that those elements weren't coupled with really cool plot.

also the characters all kind of... sucked? i think there are very few authors in the thriller/mystery genre that write characters who are... convincingly complex. sadly i
Brenda
Wow! Breathtakingly brilliant!

When eight year old Abbey joined her parents Merri and Wolf Gleason, and brother, Jackson for a few days break at The Hollows they were looking forward to a relaxing time together. Setting out for a hike in the woods with their father the day after they arrived, Abbey and Jackson skipped and ran ahead while their father was on the phone. So much so that before they knew it they were way ahead of him. With the suddenness of the unexpected, fun turned to fear – immedi
Vanessa
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
There were elements I seriously enjoyed in this book. Finley was a fantastic character, edgy and dark and fitted in well with the atmosphere of the book. Maybe I should have stuck to reading the book as I didn’t particularly like the narrator, some awkwardness there, and couldn’t decide if it was the fault of the writing or the narrator having trouble. I almost stopped listening but the story pulled me in enough to keep going.
Barbara
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was ok

Ten months after her daughter Abbey was abducted during a vacation in 'The Hollows', Merri Gleason returns to the upstate New York town. Desperate to find out what happened to her daughter, Merri hires cop turned private investigator Jones Cooper - who usually works with psychic Eloise Montgomery.

This time, however, Eloise's gifted granddaughter Finley is getting paranormal 'messages' about the case.

Finley recently moved to The Hollows to be close to her supportive grandmother and to
Melisa
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arc, thriller
Well hot diggity dog, The Hollows is back!

I tend to stick with realism, but Lisa Unger totally delivers on this tale of Finley, a seriously badass woman with a gift, trying to solve a missing child case. Unger can somehow make the paranormal seem normal to the point where I was constantly reminding myself "this is fiction, this is fiction, this is fiction" so I wouldn't be so scared. This is one super creepy story - prepare for a heart-pounding, fast-paced read. I actually had to turn all the li
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
Contrary to what my three star rating might tell you, I actually liked this story a lot. And taken as a whole, I liked way more things about it than I disliked. But the things I disliked I really disliked so I decided not to round up to 4 stars.

This is my first Lisa Unger book, though friends of mine have read a lot of her books and quite enjoyed them. This book will definitely appeal to fans of Gillian Flynn and Tana French, but other than a few kick ass characters, some sprinkling of a more su
Lisa
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
With Lisa Unger you either get a hit or a miss with Ink & Bone it was a definite hit in the ball park, I actually could not put this down it got me sucked right in from the prologue this was a lot different from Miss Unger delving into the Paranormal genre its damn well worked a treat.

I also found the characters of Finley & her Grandmother were written superbly strong with no flaws, along with the creepy eerie feeling of the Hollows right throughout.

Twenty Year old Finley Montgomery has a gift &
Julie
Ink & Bone by Lisa Unger is a 2016 Touchstone publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Having read the three short stories which are preludes to this full length novel, I had a little background about ‘The Hollows’ and the three generations of women empowered with psychic powers, each one coping in different ways.

Finley represents the third generation, but is less than thrilled by her gift and the responsibility of it. Howe
Emma
May 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

This is one of those books that is such an easy read you breeze through it in a few hours. Love that Finley is a tattooed, pink and black haired, intelligent, psychic young woman who studies psychology and now helps solve murders. If that isn't a main character who is a it different from the rest, I don't know what is. if this is the beginning of a new series featuring her, i'm in it for that alone.

A interesting set of supporting characters, the mystery of the Hollows, and a few good su
Carrie
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Twenty year old Finley Montgomery has grown up being visited by people who others can't see and haunted by prophetic dreams. She has no control over what's going on with her and is lost with no one to understand it. Her mother had taken her away from the Hollows and her grandmother Eloise Montgomery but now Finley knows it's time to return and learn how to control her psychic abilities.

Merri Gleason's husband, Wolf, surprised the family with a trip to the Hollows. While Wolf was out hiking with
Brenda
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've read Lisa Unger's previous books. Because of those that take place in The Hollows, I knew to expect supernatural elements in this book. I was familiar with psychic Eloise Montgomery and PI Jones Cooper and The Hollows. Eloise's granddaughter, Finley, also has a psychic gift. She's not sure she wants it, would like to control it on her terms, and is learning what it means. She's tough, troubled, and terrified, and turns to Rainer, a tattoo artist who followed Finley from Seattle. I really li ...more
Dianne
…And out of the gate...BAM! I’m sucked in by a picture of a mysterious girl and pleas for forgiveness. Fade to black, and the meat potatoes of this tale truly begins! Findley has inherited the family gift for psychic abilities. She hears voices, strangers, and they all want something from her, but she does not understand what she needs to do to silence them, so she goes to the one person who knows, the one person who can help her, her grandmother. Eloise is famous, her abilities have been used b ...more
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fear holds on. Love lets go.

Solid, unsettling, and fucking good, Ink and Bone was such a weird and thrilling read.

With an urban setting of a small town in the neck of a dark dark forest, mixed with the supernatural elements of the paranormal, it was really unique and refreshing. Super creepy too. I didn't think I'd like the two genres clashing together but I was pleasantly surprised.

And the fucking TWISTS. G'bye.

This is the one book I accidentally left and lost on an airplane so I had to
Pamela
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was/is an "INTENSELY" satisfying read - from start to finish! I am late to the "Hollows" game, but this story had no problem standing on it's own.

Finley, our lead, is a mix of bad-ass with vulnerability which makes for an interesting character. I'm hoping to see more of her. The supporting characters are also captivating in their own way. The most interesting character though, is the town itself...home-spun with a hint of creepy.

For me, Ms. Unger pulled me in right away with a heart-poundi
Gary
Jun 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I have read and enjoyed quite a few books by author Lisa Unger and I find her writing exciting and well written. This book however did not grip me like her previous books and I was a little disappointed on finishing it. It is well written and I can see by other reviews there are plenty of people who enjoyed this novel but unfortunately I fall into the minority.
The book falls somewhere between thriller and horror and features a twenty year old Finley Montgomery who has grown up being visited by p
Liz Barnsley
Ink and Bone is the very definition of a page turner – its kind of crime fiction, kind of other, with a banging main protagonist in Finley, a girl who has a lot more about her than is first apparent. Gripping from the very first page I rattled through this one over one night then was late for work. Luckily for me work is very forgiving…

This is also quite an emotional thriller, involving as it does a missing child and Lisa Unger captures the horror and the heartache of those left behind really we
Carolyn
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Twenty year old Fin Montgomery is coming into her psychic powers and has gone to live in The Hollows to live with her grandmother Eloise, a well known psychic investigator to learn how to control her visions. Very young girls have gone missing in The Hollows and Fin is engaged by the PI who works with her grandmother to look into their disappearance.

This is a very creepy book in places, with lots of dark places, buried bodies and some very nasty people. The author really ramps up the tension and
Monnie
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Creepy. Haunting. Tense. It took just two days of spare-time reading to finish this book, and on the second, anyone who even thought about prying my Kindle out of my hands would have regretted it. My sweet husband, bless his heart, knows better than to try - even though it meant he had to fetch take-out for dinner.

Ironically, I almost didn't read it at all. When I had a chance to get it from the publisher (via NetGalley) in exchange for an unbiased review, I of course read the description and ed
Caitlin
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Where to start with this one.. I have never read anything by Lisa Unger before, which is exciting because not only does she have more books out there, but others in this same setting with overlapping characters! Love finding new (to me) authors.
I personally have no reservations when it comes to the theme of psychic abilities, which is a major one here, but I really think this book is written solidly enough that even for a complete non-believer it would still be a great read.
I felt like all of th
Judy D Collins
A special thank you to Touchstone and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Lisa Unger returns following The Whispering Hollows, where we received a recap of the haunting Hollows Series and a tantalizing preview of her latest INK AND BONE, a dark psychological suspense, with a chilling supernatural, horror, and Gothic twist.

From voices, ghosts, spirits, evil, visions, monsters, whispers, graveyards, voices, trains, birds, death, torture, abuse, grief, identity, obsessions,
Heather
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-5-star-reads
Enjoyed this book! I couldn’t put it down and devoured it in one day! It was full of mystery, small town assumptions, Supernatural abilities, twists, turns, monstrous characters and a grandma in Eloise that we all wish that we had! This is the first book in The Hallows series that I have read, and now I’ve gone back to the beginning and am thoroughly enjoying Fragile.

• Twice (Lydia Strong, #3)
  • Smoke (Lydia Strong, #4)
  • The Darkness Gathers (Lydia Strong, #2)
  • Angel Fire (Lydia Strong, #1)
  • Cold Mourning (Stonechild and Rouleau, #1)
  • To Tell You the Truth
  • Home Before Dark
  • One by One
  • Butterfly Kills (Stonechild and Rouleau, #2)
  • Before She Disappeared
  • Heart of Dixie
  • Don't Look for Me
  • Carving Japanese Netsuke for Beginners
  • Ink and Bone (The Great Library, #1)
  • M is for Mother: My Journey into Motherhood
  • Invisible Girl
  • Unknown Threat (School Marshal Series Book 1)
  • Last Lullaby (Eve Diamond Mystery, #3)
See top shelves…
Lisa Unger is a New York Times and internationally bestselling author. With books published in twenty-eight languages and millions of copies sold worldwide, she is widely regarded as a master of suspense. Her latest release is CONFESSIONS ON THE 7:45 (Goodreads Choice Awards Finalist) and her new novel LAST GIRL GHOSTED will be be available Oct 5, 2021.

Unger’s critically acclaimed books have been

The Hollows (5 books)