Start by marking “I'm Thinking of Ending Things” as Want to Read:
I'm Thinking of Ending Things

I'm Thinking of Ending Things

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  49,186 ratings  ·  9,887 reviews
I’m thinking of ending things. Once this thought arrives, it stays. It sticks. It lingers. It’s always there. Always.

Jake once said, “Sometimes a thought is closer to truth, to reality, than an action. You can say anything, you can do anything, but you can’t fake a thought.”

And here’s what I’m thinking: I don’t want to be here.

In this deeply suspenseful and irresistibly u
Published June 14th 2016 by Gallery/Scout Press

To ask other readers questions about I'm Thinking of Ending Things, please sign up.
Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition This is from Heidi on afterthingsend.com - I thought she summed it up beautifully:My take is that Jake (and the narrator too, then) is someon…moreThis is from Heidi on afterthingsend.com - I thought she summed it up beautifully:<spoiler>My take is that Jake (and the narrator too, then) is someone with multiple personality disorder. He is trying to decide if he should kill himself. Jake is trying to figure out if he was always going to end up alone and committing suicide or if there was any he could have had a seminormal life. Since it's mentioned in the book several times that he's quite intelligent (he was going to be a professor), he creates a last-ditch persona--the girlfriend--to conduct a thought experiment. The girlfriend persona is someone he really did meet at a bar during trivia night, but he never gave her his number, and they never had a relationship. Jake writes down and acts out what would have likely happened if they did in fact have a relationship. Jake concludes that she would have eventually dumped him, and therefore he would still end up as a middle-aged, suicidal janitor. At the end of the story, all of his personas are in agreement that he should kill himself.</spoiler>(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jeff Phillips
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  49,186 ratings  ·  9,887 reviews

Start your review of I'm Thinking of Ending Things
Kat
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
this is like those trippy A24 horror movies. love.
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Jake and his girlfriend are on a road trip to go and see Jake's parents at their rural farm.
Palm Springs commercial photography

The point of view is from the girlfriend and inside her head we find out that she is thinking of 'ending things' with Jake. Jake is perfect and smart and all that stuff but it's time to just move on. Except for the fact that we are on our way to the whole meet the parents thing.

Once we get to the farm..we get to meet the parents.

With a smidge of this:
Palm Springs commercial photography

Then we find out some stuff and thangs. (I
_ngallagher
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bitch.....my head. Felt like Hereditary / The Gallows / Get Out all met up and had a book child
Edward Lorn
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Not sure...
WINNER OF BEST AUDIOBOOK 2016!

Dig it:

This book is a perfect example of negative reviews selling a book. Specifically Shelbs's and Kells's reviews. I had to see what all the fuss was about. So, yeah, the negative reviews of this book sold me. I paid money for this book based solely on negative reviews. Some authors need to hear that. They need to let that shit sink in. Are Shelbs and Kells stupid for not getting this book? Nope. And I'll explain why.

Iain Reid's I'm Thinking of Ending Things is
Jennifer Masterson
Holy shit that was brilliant!!! What a mind f*ck!!! I have to tell you that I thought this was going to be a 1 or 2 star book for me until the very end. I mean like the last 15 minutes of it.

I'm not sure whether to give this book 4 or 5 Stars. I'm going with 4 for now because the book was filled with so many things that made my stomach turn. I get why the journey was like this now. I'm so ready to hit the fifth star button!

I listened to the audio version of the novel. I think this might have pl
Chelsea Humphrey
I don’t write a lot of reviews where I give a book under 3 stars; I’d like to think its because I typically know what type of book I like to read, but every now and again I get it completely wrong and I have to write an embarrassing review on why I disliked a novel that everyone else seems to rave about. This was one of those books. I was immediately requesting this one on NetGalley the second I saw it, as it sounded right up my alley. Creepy, suspenseful, vague-YES! However, I’ll say that my no ...more
Maggie Stiefvater
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, recommended
The back of this book merely promises that you will be afraid and not know why. There are no other details. Funnily enough, that is the most accurate summation of this novel possible.

I don't want to say too much about this novel, because the puzzle and atmosphere are really the ghoulish, psychological fun of it. It's a deeply unsettling novel; that's the point of it, and as such, it's brief — I finished it in a couple of hours.

It's certainly not for everyone. Read the first chapter (you can find
Emma Giordano
Sep 17, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.5 Stars.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Holy crap on a cracker!

I put off reading this book for such a long time because there were so many negative reviews and I don't see why! I freaking loved this book! It blew me right way! I got if from the Overdrive library and I'm going to be buying it to keep.

Okay, so like the narrator is this woman that I have no idea who she is, name-wise. Unless I missed it, they never say in the book. She's on a road trip with her boyfriend Jake. He is taking her to meet his parents for the first time and
Trudi
Oooooh, this is a tough one to review, because it's not going to be for everyone, and I also don't want to give too much away. It's a slim volume that packs such a WALLOP! that creeps up on you, it would be super easy to spoil it for someone if you weren't careful.

Many people have this filed as 'Mystery' or 'Psychological Thriller' and it's sorta a blend of those, but way closer to 'Psychological Horror' for me than anything else. It's an unsettling, paranoid mindfuck that at first appearances
Deanna

I listened to the audio of this one and at first I didn't find it too bad. A woman and her boyfriend, Jake are on their way to his parents for dinner. She is like the title says.....thinking of ending things.

"You will be scared. But you won't know why"

That quote from the book is very true. I was so confused and felt very uncomfortable for almost the entire book. I think this book might be too smart for me because I still don't think I understand it. I wonder if reading the actual book would ha
Zoeytron
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: public-library
Yep. All of them. Stars, that is. This psychological horror novel clicked with me immediately. The level of dread and unease were almost completely off the scale before it was over. The tours of the barn and the abandoned school were fantastic.

An instant recognition of a perfect stranger, whispers, the Caller, there is only one question. (view spoiler) Thought is reality, context is everything.

It's not surprising that the ratings are all over
Gabby
I just finished my reread of this book, and I definitely enjoyed this more after a second read. The first time I gave it 3 stars, and I was mostly confused. But this time I really appreciated the creepy atmosphere and this website gave me more answers about that crazy ending: http://afterthingsend.com/

This book follows a man named Jake and his girlfriend (who is never given a name) as they go to his rural farm in the middle of nowhere to meet his parents (who are insanely creepy). There's a snow
karen
Mar 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
the universe is so strange. i was sick for a couple weeks (koff, koff) and for a few of those days, i was too sick to even read (i know - it was DIRE!), so i watched a lot of movies, including one that i did not have high expectations for at all, but i was curious about its well-publicized “OMG twist!” ending. and it was pretty bad. but i was glad to have seen it so i could discover the surprise on my own and not come across it on the careless internet. and once i could read again, but was still ...more
Farrah
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been a couple hours since I finished this book and I still feel nauseous. And sad.

For the first half of the book I wasn't sure it was gonna work for me. Although the writing was excellent and there was a thin thread of suspense it was mostly just a car ride with two characters that I couldn't relate to.

The second half changed everything!
I absolutely loved it, I was so impressed.

I was also glad when it was over because it was just too dark in there.

"𝙄𝙩'𝙨 𝙣𝙤𝙩 𝙝𝙚𝙖𝙧𝙩-𝙨𝙩𝙤𝙥𝙥𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙤𝙧 𝙞𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙣𝙨𝙚 𝙤𝙧
Larry H
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Seriously, what the hell was this?

"I think what I want is for someone to know me. Really know me. Know me better than anyone else and maybe even me. Isn't that why we commit to another?"

In Iain Reid's I'm Thinking of Ending Things (I'll admit I thought of ending my reading of this book more than a few times), an unnamed woman is on a road trip with her boyfriend, Jake. They've been dating six weeks, and she enjoys his intelligence, his sense of humor, his intensity, and the way he surprises
Liz Barnsley
I finished "I'm Thinking of Ending Things" then I went back to the beginning and read it again.
You will want to read this book more than once. Or you'll want to hide it in the depths of the earth never to be seen again. Probably won't be that much inbetween those two things and the range of reviews would seem to back me on this.

Me? I'm going to tell everyone I know to read this book then read it again.

It scared the living crap out of me but no, don't ask. Iain Reid has written, in my humble opin
Kelli
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I'm thinking of spoiling things, or to be more specific, I'm thinking that anything I say about this could spoil it, so I will just say that I read this in one sitting and I was beyond intrigued. 4.5 stars.

Update 8/7/20: I’m looking at 3 months of severe boredom because my dog smashed into me & I have a broken leg! Surgery, days spent in the hospital, a massive scar, and 3 months of using a walker. I LOVED this book! Looking back, I’m shocked I didn’t give it 5 stars. To say I cannot wait for th
Marianna Neal
What's with the 3.34 Goodreads rating? That's pretty low for this website, and I'm not really sure why people aren't connecting with this one because DAMN... this was great! It's the kind of psychological thriller you want to devour in one sitting (and you can because of how short it is). I was constantly on edge reading this, particularly during the second half of the novel, and while the writing style was pretty simple, it was exactly what this type of story needed—just overall a really effect ...more
Evgnossia O'Hara
What was that???? I'm so confused...
Review later perhaps...
Ann Marie (Lit·Wit·Wine·Dine)
This was a very quick read and it kept me in suspense until the very end. That's the good news. The bad news? I don't know what the hell happened. I don't know how it ended. Seriously.

In an bout of frustration, I Google searched spoilers. I found an entire web site dedicated to discussing this very issue. Even the people that loved the book were, for the most part, confused. The general consensus seems to be that if you read the book twice, it'll all become very clear. Here's the thing:

I'm not
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Really??? Yes, yes, yes I got the ending. I came, I saw, I understood and nope this didn’t work for me.

OMG where to start?? Okay it is true, this book is a crazy train on crack. Totally. I had looked so forward to reading this book. I never thought for a minute it would be less than a 5 star read. I thought it was a sure thing.

So I dug into it the second I got it. I was excited to find it to be a fast, easy read. It was short, just over 200 pages and that is my favorite type of book. I instantly
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
As per usual, this is a legit, no spoiler review.
I didn't know anything about this book, nor have I read any reviews now that I've finished it. I'm eager to read some reviews after I'm finished writing this--
My thoughts:
This book will be on my list for my favorite reads this year, I know that for sure.
Here's what happened:
I wanted to read this book because I have an ARC of Iain's next book, FOE sitting on my nightstand and I just wanted some author context under my belt--like style and voice.
So
Felicia
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"I’m thinking of ending things.

Once this thought arrives, it stays. It sticks. It lingers. It dominates."

.....aaaaand that's how I felt while reading this book. Though I can see how the style of this story would appeal to others, it just wasn't for me.

HOWEVER, all is not lost because at the end of the book was an excerpt from the author's sophomore novel, Foe, and THAT one is definitely more my style and just got added to the upper stratosphere of my TBR.

Silver linings and so that crap.

😋
Maxwell
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Updated Review: 5 stars
This book is actually SO well constructed. Reading it a 2nd time was like reading an entirely different book. My brain is still buzzing with all of the possible theories and explanations for what exactly happens in this story. But at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter because you can interpret it however you'd like. The atmosphere is so strong and extremely creepy. It succeeds as a horror/thriller but has so many other layers to it. I am fascinated by its ruminat
Carol
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
My immediate reaction upon finishing: "What was that? It started out with a certain amount of promise, then... the last 150 pages just rambled into an incoherent ending. Either that, or I didn't get the memo."

Update: If you're spoiler averse, don't read this. Readers have a plethora of reviews available to them which dance around this novel so completely that the innocent and unwary can't assess whether it's a book they'd like. I'm here to help. Really.

I initially had difficulty identifying why
Nick
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What the actual hell??????????????????
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

The following quote pretty much sums up my dream thriller . . .

“My story is not like a movie, I’ll say. It’s not heart-stopping or intense or bloodcurdling or graphic or violent. No jump scares. To me, these qualities aren’t usually scary. Something that disorients, that unsettles what’s taken for granted, something that disturbs and disrupts reality – that’s scary.”

^^^^^Oooooooooo so much excite!!!!

Unfortunately the above-refere
Beverly
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror

• The Devil All the Time
  • Home Before Dark
  • Sleepwalking
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Bunny
  • Your House Is on Fire, Your Children All Gone
  • Radio Silence
  • The Guest List
  • Sour Candy
  • Adivinha quem não voltou pra casa?
  • The Deep
  • Mexican Gothic
  • Take a Hint, Dani Brown (The Brown Sisters, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
Iain Reid is the author of two critically acclaimed, award-winning books of nonfiction. His debut novel, I'm Thinking of Ending Things, was an international bestseller, and was translated into more than a dozen languages. Oscar-winner Charlie Kaufman is writing and directing the film adaptation for Netflix. Foe is Reid's second novel.

Articles featuring this book

If you want a real scare, set aside your beloved horror classics—you know what darkness lurks within their pages, what...
“Sometimes a thought is closer to truth, to reality, than an action. You can say anything, you can do anything, but you can't fake a thought.” 165 likes
“I think what I want is for someone to know me. Really know me. Know me better than anyone else and maybe even me. Isn’t that why we commit to another? It’s not for sex. If it were for sex, we wouldn’t marry one person. We’d just keep finding new partners. We commit for many reasons, I know, but the more I think about it, the more I think long-term relationships are for getting to know someone. I want someone to know me, really know me, almost like that person could get into my head. What would that feel like? To have access, to know what it’s like in someone else’s head. To rely on someone else, have him rely on you. That’s not a biological connection like the one between parents and children. This kind of relationship would be chosen. It would be something cooler, harder to achieve than one built on biology and shared genetics. I think that’s it. Maybe that’s how we know when a relationship is real. When someone else previously unconnected to us knows us in a way we never thought or believed possible.” 84 likes