Start by marking “A Buddhist Grief Observed” as Want to Read:
A Buddhist Grief Observed

A Buddhist Grief Observed

Amid the world-shattering pain of loss, what helps?

“After the death of his beloved partner from cancer, Newland finds himself asking how effective his long years of Buddhist practice have been in helping him come to terms with overwhelming grief. This finely written book offers a lucid meditation on what it means to practice the Dharma when everything falls apart.” —Stephe
Published August 9th 2016 by Wisdom Publications

To ask other readers questions about A Buddhist Grief Observed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Buddhist Grief Observed

Start your review of A Buddhist Grief Observed
Robin Tuthill
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm on my second reading now because this book is so rich with insights into the human condition. To say I am "reading" this little gem is not quite right. The most I read at one time is a page or two. Sometimes I just look back on the last sentence or paragraph I marked and use the idea for deep reflection or meditation. It is my daily morning ritual and I think it will be for a very long time.

You do not have to be a Buddhist to appreciate the value of this book. The beautiful thing about Buddh
Kathy
Aug 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I found A Buddhist Grief Observed very interesting and enlightening in several ways. It taught me that there are many "versions/sects" of Buddhism just as there are in many other religions, and that sometimes the teachings disagree with each other. It reinforced that no matter what our backgrounds or religious beliefs, we as human beings all feel the same things, want the same things for our families, worry about the same things. We are much more alike than we are different, and grief is a hard ...more
Abz
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
After my dad passed away, when I was 18 years old, I came across a copy of "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying" by Sogyal Rinpoche, and it was a lifesaver. In the 20 years since, Buddhism has continued to be a constant practice and source of comfort and guidance. I resonated quite a bit with this book and the author's journey through grief, with Buddhist practice as his solace. ...more
Nancy
Jun 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very thoughtful and comforting. Newland brings together his great knowledge of emptiness and his poignant experience of the death of his wife.
Brandon Bosworth
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
I struggle with grief and loss. So does Guy Newland. He eloquently writes about his Buddhist beliefs both helped and at times failed to help him deal with the death of his wife.
Ellison
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
A modest book in which the author clearly and without adornment communicates his own experiences with Buddhism and the death of his wife. I found the last two chapters most effective.
Cynthia
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
beautifully written. a great read for those grieving and in pain.
Laura Siegel
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a lovely and sensitive little book though didactic at times. I preferred when he talked about his wife's death and his own grief. With a Buddhist's perspective he clarifies that Buddhists are not immune to grief. I particularly liked the section on "how to help" as well as the eulogy he wrote to his wife. ...more
Naomi
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism, dying
A fine addition to grief literature, Newland touches upon important experiences and issues, including common interpretations of Dharma that cause suffering rather than offer liberation and attention to how reality is. Recommended for those grieving, with an interest in Buddhism, and for religious professionals and volunteers working with caring for the grieving.
Kathryn Zebrowski-Wray
A Buddhist Grief observed is an excellent look into buddhism. The author reflects on his life and offers insight about the choices he made and how he coped.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley
Michelle Carrell
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: won
A look into the Buddhist religion. Very insightful and inspiring.
Cindy
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, 2018-netgalley
* I was provided an ARC to read from the publisher and NetGalley. It was my decision to read and review this book.
Anne
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A thoughtful and thought provoking book. It helps me with a little more understanding of Buddhism and. a different insight into grief. It deserves more study and thought.
Maeve

• The Collected Songs of Cold Mountain
  • Georgana's Secret
  • In the House in the Dark of the Woods
  • The Book of Joan
  • Being with Dying: Cultivating Compassion and Fearlessness in the Presence of Death
  • The Internet of Money
  • Arsène Lupin, Gentleman-Thief (Arsène Lupin, #1)
  • The Internet of Money Volume Two
  • The Basics of Bitcoins and Blockchains: An Introduction to Cryptocurrencies and the Technology that Powers Them
  • The Internet of Money Volume Three: A collection of talks by Andreas M. Antonopoulos
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • The Duke and I: The 2nd Epilogue (Bridgertons, #1.5)
  • Male Fantasies: Volume 1: Women, Floods, Bodies, History
  • American Poetry: The Twentieth Century, Volume 1: Henry Adams to Dorothy Parker
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
See top shelves…