Start by marking “The Housekeeper” as Want to Read:
The Housekeeper

The Housekeeper

For fans of Notes on a Scandal and The Woman Upstairs, a gripping and voyeuristic novel of psychological suspense about a woman who becomes the housekeeper for a London power couple, only to discover a world of secrets and lies far more disturbing than she could ever have imagined.

Published February 28th 2017 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about The Housekeeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Housekeeper

Meredith
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
*Updated*

The Housekeeper is described as a "nail-biting psychological thriller". It is far from it. Nothing much happens in this book; however, it is an interesting and intense character study about a woman who is trying to come to terms with her past.

Anne Morgan has an obsessive personality. Having no family, she desperately latches onto to whoever is in her life. When her boyfriend, who also happens to be her boss, her world comes crashing down. The only small shred of happiness in her life
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
I have to say, I really didn't like this book. I feel bad because I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't. I know that authors put a ton of work into their books, so I'm going to do my best to look at this book critically but also respectfully.

The Housekeeper is about a woman named Anne who has a job as a high profile chef at a popular London restaurant. When she learns her long term boyfriend, the head chef at the restaurant, is cheating on her, she quits her job. Too embarrassed to continue w
Sam (Clues and Reviews)
The Housekeeper by Suellen Dainty was not what I was expecting. This novel, although marketed as a thriller, read, instead like a piece of contemporary fiction. I continuously felt like I was waiting for something big to happen.

Let me break it down…

The novel focuses on Anne Morgan. A woman who has it all: a successful, handsome boyfriend and an elite job in a restaurant. Until, all of a sudden, she doesn’t. After her boyfriend leaves her for someone else, Anne ends up becoming a housekeeper to
Rebecca
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Housekeeper by Suellen Dainty is a psychological thriller indeed, but not one of the whippet-fast, racing-heart variety, but that's okay. More than okay, in fact, because after reading a couple of those recently, I felt that I needed something a little more subtle, a little more... quietly threatening, perhaps? In my opinion, that was exactly what Suellen Dainty provided in The Housekeeper. It wasn't IN-YOUR-FACE SHOCK HORROR, but more WATCH AS I SLOWLY AND TORTUROUSLY UNRAVEL THE SECRETS AN ...more
Karen Brown
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lush and suspenseful--just my kind of book! A housekeeper, immersed in the household of a shining celebrity couple, is haunted by memories of her childhood.
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Anne is a chef, happy in her job and in her relationship with the restaurant's owner, Anton. When Anton admits to an affair, her world crumbles around her. She loses her boyfriend and her job in one short night and doesn't know what she is going to do. Following the blog of Emma Helmsley (England's Martha Stewart), she finds they need a housekeeper. Feeling as if she needs to stay away from the restaurant business for a while as to avoid any awkwardness, she applies and is hired immediately. As ...more
Cleo Bannister
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’ve recently re-discovered the thrill of the slower psychological suspense books where the thrills are gained from understanding a character rather than focussing on twists and turns. There is of course a place for both types of books, not least on my own bookshelf, but I think the former leaves a longer lasting impression than the latter where the enjoyment is often in the thrill of the ride. The Housekeeper was one of those books that crept up on me through Anne’s eyes.

Anne Morgan has just be
Laurel-Rain
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Anne Morgan’s successful boyfriend—who also happens to be her boss—leaves her for another woman, Anne finds herself in desperate need of a new job and a quiet place to recover. Meanwhile, her celebrity idol, Emma Helmsley (England’s answer to Martha Stewart and Oprah Winfrey), is in need of a housekeeper, an opportunity which seems too good to be true.

Through her books, website, and blog, Emma Helmsley advises her devoted followers on how to live a balanced life in a hectic world. Her husba
Cathryn
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, drama
“I am the housekeeper, the hired help with a messy past who cleans up other people’s messy lives, the one who protects their messy little secrets.”

Okay peeps, The Housekeeper centres around chef, Anne, who has recently been dumped by her famous chef boyfriend/boss. Not feeling ready to return to catering, Anne applies for a job as a housekeeper for wealthy power-couple and successful psychologists, Emma and Rob. Despite their seemingly idelic existence, the closer Anne gets to the family, the mo
Louise Mullins
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A beautifully written title with intricate description, layers of suspense, and a well-woven plot. I was surprised several times, and the ending was perfect. I felt however, this was a little short on thrills to be dubbed a psychological thriller but held enough tension to be labeled a psychological suspense drama.
Linda Boa
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-for-blog
4.5 stars, rounded up to 5. Loved this story of a family's secrets being discovered by the housekeeper, who, with no family of her own, got a little too close to her employers. The façade they present to the public is just that - a curtain that hides their real life, and very conveniently makes them a living too, through Emma's status as an expert on 21st century domestic and family life. This is utterly laughable when you see the house and family through Anne's eyes...Full review shortly on htt ...more
Lacey
Feb 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
First, I would like to say thank you to NetGalley and Atria Books for sending me The Housekeeper before the publication date. A review will also be up on www.laceyslibrary.wordpress.com

I barely could get through this book. I got stuck multiple times, especially before 50% completed. This book is described as a thriller. I don't see where or why this could be a thriller. There are some parts in the beginning that were interesting, but going through I kept dragging and dragging. This book could've
Angela Lett
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Occasionally you read a novel and once you’ve finished, you want to go right back and start again.
For me, The Housekeeper is one of those novels. And - for the record - I will.
For a start, the writing is wonderful. Poised and assured, it’s a joy to read. Characters, descriptions, sense of place: everything is richly layered and acutely observed .
The Housekeeper might be described as a slow burner. Not in terms of plot development, which is perfectly paced, but because of the tension, which is ha
Kate Maclaren
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book - nailed so much of what goes in the name of celebrity and the chattering classes. Anne's character is most believable and consistent, and the unfolding of her journey invokes sympathy and commiseration. The pace does not justify the label of psychological thriller, but is greatly preferable for that, and more consistent with traditional literary practice.
Couldn't leave it alone for long.
Sunshinylady
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
I picked it up at a bookstore sale thinking it was a thriller. It's a story of housekeepers life and her troubled past. I'd say it's just boring. Most of the book is just walking the dog, tidying and having some talks with the family members. Maybe last 50 pages was a bit more interesting to read. I'd say there's a lot more books to read. I struggled to finish it.
Suellen
I chose this book for no other reason than the fact that the author has the same first name as me. Suellen (spelled the same way) is not all that common so I immediately felt an affinity toward her. As far as the book goes, I felt it was a mediocre thriller/mystery. About halfway through I pretty much lost interest in the characters.
Jessi
May 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Anne finds out her boyfriend is cheating on her she decides to take a break from the restaurant world. She finds herself applying for a housekeeper position for London's powerhouse couple. After accepting, settling in, and falling in love with this family... secrets get uncovered. I loved the voyeuristic point of view, but overall I wasn't super impressed with it. The writing felt a bit stiff and I was hoping it would be more suspenseful. The best part was the constant drama surfacing!

Full
Kirstin
May 09, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really didn't like how this was written, couldn't get in to it at all, gave up
Nicole (Read Eat Sleep Repeat)
The Housekeeper turned out to be not at all what I expected.

Although this is marketed as a nail-biting psychological thriller, I found that instead of a super thrilling page turner, it was more of a slow drawing in and as you get closer, things appear more and more off and you peel away layer after layer of secrets and lies until you find the truth submerged beneath. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. It just made for a different experience than the one I anticipated going in.

Anne Morgan has
Penny (Literary Hoarders)
3.5 to 4 stars. a really good read ! Obsession, betrayal, strange cult upbringing and a family hiding all kinds of secrets plus a crazy amount of delicious food descriptions ! Look for this one coming out at the end of February!
Jennifer Cullen
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Suellen Dainty's second novel is even more accomplished and seamless than her first novel, After Everything which was published in 2014. Her command of her characters, multi layered plot and subplots matched with beautiful nuanced writing and a sharp eye for the telling detail. Each of the characters ring true. Anne, the protagonist is a former sous chef in a famous London restaurant who takes a job as a housekeeper after her long term relationship with the restaurant owner and chef, Anton break ...more
Cindy Roesel
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Suellen Dainty’s, THE HOUSEKEEPER (WashingtonSquarePress), is part of BookSparks Summer Reading Challenge 2017 #SRC2017. Anne Morgan’s super successful restaurateur boss-boyfriend dumps her for another woman and she’s desperate to find a new job and place to lick her wounds. At the same time, Emma Helmsley, England’s answer to Oprah and Martha needs a new housekeeper, pronto who is used to being around A-listers. Ta-da: A match.

Anne is quickly swept into a world of constant parties and media app
Shelley Lawrence
May 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017, fiction
What a truly wretched book! Not only was it tedious, dull, and often meandered off topic or skipped to new information with no segue, but it was also twisted and appalling. The main character is a weak-willed, rather pathetic sort of person, who eves drops on others, follows them, and insinuates herself into a family that is not hers and takes on an odd, unnatural relationship with each one. It's hard to feel for her because the author writes her in a very detached sort of way. Her supposed best ...more
Hemmie Martin
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This novel is a slow-burn story about Anne Morgan's life that takes a down-turn after her boyfriend, Anton, ends their relationship. We are slowly sucked into Anne's new life as the housekeeper for a celebrity couple and their two children. Whilst reading, I was constantly analysing each character to see what was lurking beneath their skin, which hastened me to the end of the book.

I did work out some of the story-line, but I was surprised by part of the denouement, which is always pleasing. Alth
AD
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Actually 4.5/5 stars. I really enjoyed this story of a woman who takes a job as a housekeeper to a wealthy family, and then slowly becomes involved in their secrets while uncovering her own repressed memories of a difficult early childhood. It's not a troubling read, nobody is in peril and there is no threat of violence. The pacing of the book was great, and things didn't drag on or end too abruptly. Definitely worth reading.
Linnet
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Anne's been a chef at a big-time London restaurant. She quits when she finds out that the owner, who she has been with for a couple of years, has found someone else. She decides she wants out of the food business and applies for a housekeeper job with London's power couple, Rob and Emma. She finds out more about power couples than she ever wanted to know, as well as some things about herself that she has been longing to know.
Thebooktrail
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
I hate to give a book a low score but this just didn't hit the spot with me at all. It wasn't the thriller I was expecting as once inside the house, there was a bit of a mystery but nothing that made me think oohh.... I actually found the characters creepy and not in a good way.

It is set in the posh Richmond area of London but locations aren't a feature of this book. It's a character study. Some very weird people living in nice neighbourhoods apparently. ;)
MountainShelby
May 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Reading this novel is like the excitement before a trip. Then you find yourself driving along one road that dead ends, then another, then another. You drive along, trying to maintain that excitement, drive along a series of dead ends until you finally finally finally reach your destination: a Wal Mart. Yawn.
Kim Raccoon
Sep 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
This was not the suspenseful, drama filled story the review on the top of the book indicated it would be. It was a lot of whining, a lot of overly weird characters (seriously, I thought Rob and Emma were going to attempt to murder and dismember Anne), and zero suspense. I didn't get the point or plot of this story. Disappointing.
Breakaway Reviewers
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent psychological thriller

This novel begins with the heroine, Anne Morgan, losing her successful boyfriend, who also happens to be her boss at a very up-market restaurant, to another woman so finds herself needing a new job and somewhere to recover.

Anne finds that her celebrity idol, Emma Helmsley, requires a housekeeper, which is an opportunity too good to miss. Through her books, website and blog, Emma gives advice to her devoted followers on how to live a balanced life.

With her husba
  • A Suitable Lie
  • Too Lucky to Live
  • Who is Sarah Lawson
  • The Principles Behind Flotation
  • Pride and Prejudice and Kitties: A Cat-Lover's Romp through Jane Austen's Classic
  • Lies Between Us
  • The Last Boat Home
I worked as a journalist and television producer after leaving university. It never occurred to me to write fiction. Like many working single mothers, I was too busy and too tired to try for anything more.
But my two children grew up. Finally I could ditch the day job. I moved from London to a small farm in Somerset, where I ran a B and B and learned how to be a short order cook and iron mountains