Start by marking “Hello, Sunshine” as Want to Read:
Hello, Sunshine

Hello, Sunshine

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  5,590 Ratings  ·  963 Reviews
From Laura Dave—the author of the “addictive” (Us Weekly), “winning” (Publishers Weekly) and critically acclaimed bestseller Eight Hundred Grapes—comes a new novel about the secrets we keep…even from ourselves.

Sunshine Mackenzie has it all…until her secrets come to light.

Sunshine Mackenzie is living the dream—she’s a culinary star with millions of fans, a line of #1 bests
Published July 11th 2017 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Hello, Sunshine, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Amy Yes, just one of the many plot points that I thought made no sense.
Kristin Evans I don't think so but I admit, Paula Deen crossed my mind while reading it. As someone else said, Paula Deen was mentioned in this book.

Kathryn
“Because no one becomes terrible all at once. It happens in very small increments.”

Celebrity-chef Sunshine Mackenzie’s perfect life is shattered when one day a hacker hijacks her twitter account and reveals the sordid truth behind her picture-perfect image. Suddenly everything Sunny’s worked for-- her career, marriage, finances--is in tatters. With nowhere left to turn, Sunshine is forced to slink back to her hometown of Montauk and confront past demons, including an estranged sister and niece.
Sarah Joint
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Addictive, emotional, refreshing. If you enjoy women's fiction but aren't big on the unrealistic romance (same, guys, same) this may be a great book for you. This one surprised me. It's a great little read, and I flew right through it. You're not always going to like the protagonist, but she doesn't always like herself either. She's made a lot of mistakes she's partially in denial about, and isn't quite sure how to fix them. It really makes you think about how we present ourselves online. This i ...more
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

"Hello Sunshine” normally meant someone was leaving a compliment on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

The day of Sunshine Stephens’ 35th birthday didn't bode well for the “hello sunshine” greeting.

Everything she had made up about herself was being made public by a hacker, and no one knew who the hacker was.

Sunshine's life was turned upside down personally and professionally. Not telling the truth from the start backfired on her.

When Sunshine started her career as a TV chef, she should have been tr
Stacey
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was immediately attracted to this novel because of the title and the cover art. Right away I have high expectations and then I start reading. YouTube, food, and drama? I’m in.

Sunshine Mackenzie has it all. Her own cooking show, numerous cookbooks, a successful architect for a husband, and adoring fans. When she becomes a public figure, she became a target like any celebrity and all those secrets she was tucking away were exposed with a stroke of a key. When faced with dire circumstances we see
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-books, chick-lit
After enjoying Eight Hundred Grapes two summers ago, I was excited to see this new release from author Laura Dave. While both books could be categorized as "chick-lit", I felt that "Grapes" was a notch above others in the genre -- offering more character and plot development than is typically found in this category of books. Unfortunately I can't say the same for "Hello, Sunshine."

In Dave's latest book, YouTube star Sunshine MacKenzie has sold tens of thousands of fans on the notion that that sh
Cindy Burnett
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hello, Sunshine is a highly relevant and thought-provoking book for our digital age. Sunshine MacKenzie has it all – a wonderful husband, a YouTube cooking show with millions of followers, and a line of cookbooks. There is one catch: her entire life is built on lies, and when her Twitter account is hacked her entire life crumbles. Left alone and with no money, she is forced to return home and rely on her estranged sister while she tries to recover from her fall from grace. For a while, Sunshine ...more
Jen Ryland
Jul 17, 2017 added it
Shelves: wtf-ending
Pretty mixed feelings on this and am curious to see what others thought.

On the positive: I loved the idea of the book, which looks at the "curated" online presence and what happens when something spoils that carefully created sense of perfection. Hello Sunshine is about a woman with a wildly successful YouTube cooking show, just poised to start her own network show and publish a cookbook, when someone hacks her social media and exposes her some not-too flattering things about her.

Hello Sunshine
“I'd been wrong about the ways we move past the versions of ourselves that no longer fit. I'd thought it involved running, as far and as fast as your feet could carry you, from your former selves. I didn't understand that was the surest way to wind up exactly where you started.”
There's a lot of truth to this quote. It's true of how we try to leave our pasts behind and start again. It's true of how we never really can leave parts of us for good. Every minute of our lives stay with us, every
DeB MaRtEnS
I found this breezy little novel surprisingly thought provoking, in its consideration of the fabrication that social media allows under the banner of a “brand”. In this case, Sunshine has a cooking show which has been developed using her amenable personality and not too pretty good looks - and the recipes of another person. A vengeful staff member “outs” the program’s deception and Sunshine’s life falls apart.

We have become a world of digital consumers, and our “entertainers” theoretically are
Kristy
Sunshine (Sunny) Mackenzie has a great life--a hit YouTube cooking show, several published cookbooks, and the potential for a show on the Food Network. She's also happily married to her husband, Danny. But all it takes is a few Twitter posts from a hacker to destroy Sunny's life. Because, you see, she's been living a life built on lies and subterfuge. Disgraced, alone, and broke, Sunny returns to her childhood home, to a complicated relationship with her sister and a six-year-old niece she barel ...more
Amy
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-arcs
All of my reviews can be found on www.novelgossip.com

I have another book to add to your vacation reading list, this would be absolutely perfect as it’s light, but has plenty of drama, a juicy scandal and a heroine who is perfectly flawed and wholly relatable.

Sunshine has the type of life people only dream of, she has a huge following across social media, a best selling series of cookbooks, an amazing husband and a dream apartment in NYC. It’s a total dream, especially as she can’t cook, like at
Brandie
Apr 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, read-2017
3.5 stars. Not my favorite of her books, but I still love her writing style and will keep reading anything she writes.
Jason Pettus
DECLINED TO REVIEW. As part of my mission as a full-time book critic, I regularly take on books that are most aptly described (for better or for worse) as "chick lit;" and that's because I think middle-class suburban women have a right to be entertained by smart novels that appeal specifically to them, just like everyone else, and I love having the opportunity to present the best of these kinds of books to that specific audience, just like I love recommending the often overlooked best of science ...more
Theresa Alan
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was excited to read HELLO, SUNSHINE after reading author Laura Dave’s book, EIGHT HUNDRED GRAPES, and I was not disappointed.

The protagonist of HELLO, SUNSHINE, Sunny Mackenzie, tells the reader right away that she’s not a good person, but I liked her from the start because of the intimate way she told her story about how she lost her husband, home, and job in the same day—her thirty-fifth birthday.

Her job is the CEO of the number cooking show on YouTube—with a staff of 250 people, multiple co
L.P. Logan
True rating is somewhere at like 4.4.

I inhaled this book. The pacing, the plot, the writing style, the setting. It sucked me in and wouldn't let me go. For sure I thought this was going to be a 5 star read. I just couldn't put it down.

But then the ending happened. And there is no way to say this but it just kind of ended. I know, endings are supposed to be that way, but not so that they just fizzle out and there is the last word on the page and as the reader I'm left scratching my head and fee
Bam
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
*My rating would be somewhere between 3 and 3.5 stars. This is a light read, perfect for summer/beach time for those who enjoy foodie/chick-lit.

Sunshine Mackenzie's internet cooking show is a youtube sensation until the day she turns 35 and a vindictive hacker reveals to the entire world through a series of well-timed, explosive tweets that her whole persona is fake. Sunshine loses her husband, her home, her career, and her chance at a Food Network show as a result. Her only option is to return
Oreoandlucy
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Read a longer review on my blog:

Sunshine seems to have the perfect career and marriage. She is the star of a cooking channel on YouTube and is about to launch a Food Network show and her own cookbook. Everything seems to be going according to plan until an unknown hacker reveals that Sunshine is not who she says she is. She is far from the down home cook who has a farmer for a father. Instead, she is from Montauk and the most elaborate recipe she has creat
Book Riot Community
Hello, Sunshine is scandalous, gossipy, fun to read, and as juicy as that slice of fruit on the cover! Sunshine Mackenzie is one of America’s sweethearts, a vlogger turned Food Network host. And then her social media gets hacked, and an unnamed person exposes all her (super damaging) secrets. Sunshine loses absolutely everything in the span of 24 hours, and she must figure out how to start over and figure out a way forward. If you were looking for your beach read, this is it.

— Dana Staves

from Th
Lianna
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, womens-fiction
** A copy of Hello, Sunshine was provided by the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review **

Sunshine Mackenzie has it all. Or at least, what's what it's made to look like from the outside. Beautiful, happily married with her career as a chef and YouTube sensation on the rise. The problem...the ONLY problem is that it's all a lie. Everything in Sunshine's life; from her carefully constructed backstory, to her perfect happy marriage, to the fact that she can cook at all - even her
Booksandchinooks (Laurie)
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book. It is very timely as it is about social media and our perception of so called celebrities. Sunshine (Sunny) MacKenzie has built her life and career around lies. She has become a YouTube cooking sensation. The problem is - she doesn't know how to cook. The book begins as Sunny's life starts to unravel. Her social media accounts have been hacked and the truth about her comes out. Her marriage and career instantly are destroyed. She is forced to go back to her hometown ...more
Alexis
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Ugh...the only reason I finished this one is because it's my book club read. The heroine was so unlikeable and I couldn't find it in me to feel sorry for her.
McKenzie (Bookishthingsandtea)
Hello, Sunshine is the kind of book that portrays life in the digital age in such a brutally honest way that you can’t help but be sucked in by the story. Sunshine Mackenzie is a YouTube cooking star, or at least that’s what all her viewers believe. However, when her Twitter account is hacked, her real life becomes shattered- simply because of her online life.

The story is so addictive for several reasons. One of those being how the story shows a different side of the internet, and how what someo
Claudia / BeautyButterflies
Ein Rezensionsexemplar welches anlässlich eines Booklets des Verlages (geplant für Mai 2018) an mich geschickt wurde. Falls meine Rezension ankommt, könnt ihr sie dann abgedruckt in eben diesem Booklet nachlesen ;) Soviel dazu - Das Buch war in wenigen Tagen durchgelesen und es hat mich positiv überrascht - Leine kitschige Liebesromanze, sondern ein sehr erwachsener Roman, der sich unter anderem mit der „Fake-Online-Welt“ auseinandersetzt - Sehr gut gelungen!
This is a super cute fun breezy read! I really want to read Laura Dave's first, 800 Grapes now. She has a very smooth way of writing where it almost doesn't even feel like you're reading-- you're just sort of absorbing the story through osmosis or something.

Some things....
It's told in a very omniscient narrator sort of perspective, however, it's completely from Sunshine's POV so you get her commentary on herself, which I thought was done in a way that adds to the story rather than detracts. One
Christina
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 stars, rounded up

"That was the thing about lying. You got used to it, and it was what you did. The truth became a low groan that you could hear, but didn't really need to address. When you were out of practice lying, though, the effort it took to lie well -- the energy to turn a story -- became obvious. It was almost as hard as telling the truth."

Sunshine Mackenzie is a culinary star, having her own cooking show on YouTube, a bestselling cookbook and a hosting gig in the works for The Food N
Melissa
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hello, Sunshine starts out with a bang. A hacked photo on Sunshine Mackenzie's Twitter feed that threatens to expose her as a fraud. And just when she thinks she has the situation under control, her life implodes in a spectacular fashion....like a domino effect. Suddenly, Sunshine has nothing and is forced to return home, which is the last place she wants to go.

I really enjoyed this novel from start to finish. I read it in about a day and a half (maybe less). It was just too addictive and I need
Joana Bookneeders
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
* Received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you very much! This doesn’t affect the review in any way. My opinions are, as always, my own.*

This sure was a surprising book for a chick lit. I haven't read many lately, but I always enjoy reading some especially during summer. They are just easy, fun reads. But this one was actually a bit deeper than any of the ones I've read so far.

I read this book in two stands. I just couldn't make myself stop. I
Debbie
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc
Meet Sunshine Mackenzie. It's her birthday, she wakes to her favorite song. She is married to the love of her life and has an amazing job - a YouTube cooking show that is watched by millions. She has just inked a cookbook deal. The public and social media loves her.

Until an email arrives threatening to expose her for who she is. What secrets is Sunshine hiding?

Her Twitter is hacked and things start to come out. Then a picture she wanted no one to see.

In the blink of an eye she loses it all - the
Jenny
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A timely, compelling, and emotionally honest portrait of what it means to lead an authentic life in the digital age. With a master storyteller's easy eloquence, Dave shines a searing spotlight on family, forgiveness, and the bonds that ultimately unite us. Funny and poignant by turns, this novel resonates long after finishing.
Bonnie
Sunshine Mackenzie has a popular cooking show on YouTube based around her being a Southern farmer's daughter and is geared towards becoming the next Food Network star when someone hacks her Twitter account and reveals to the world that Sunshine is nothing but a fraud. Cute foodie novel about re-discovering the real you amidst all the fakery in this day and age.
Laura Dave is the author of the critically acclaimed novels The First Husband, The Divorce Party and London Is The Best City In America. Her novels have been published in fifteen countries, and three of her novels, including Eight Hundred Grapes, have been optioned as major motion pictures. She resides in Santa Monica, California.

Her new novel, Eight Hundred Grapes, will be released on June 2nd, 2

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Labyrinths (New Directions Paperbook)
    $15.95 $2.99
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Dragon's Teeth (The Lanny Budd Novels)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
“The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made. —Groucho Marx” 1 likes
“I'd learned early on that people stay away if they think you're struggling. They don't want the stink to fall on them too.” 1 likes