Start by marking “A Woman's Place: A Christian Vision for Your Calling in the Office, the Home, and the World” as Want to Read:

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  231 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews

Women today inhabit and excel in every profession, yet many Christian women wonder about the value of work outside the home. And in circles where the traditional family model is highl
Published July 19th 2016 by Howard Books

To ask other readers questions about A Woman's Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Woman's Place

Book Riot Community
Katelyn Beaty, the youngest managing editor ever of Christianity Today, writes a strong call to Christian women to reevaluate their place in the workplace, the home, and the Church. Beaty examines how women are viewed in the Christian church and by the world at large, then examines work and how important it is in preserving dignity in all people, and then commissions women to embrace their ambition. This book has been so encouraging to me, and I have gobbled it up with a lot of underlining andYE ...more
Sarah K
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure I will have more thoughts on this book the more I think about it. But for now, the morning after I finished it... all I have to say is wow. Though I didn't agree with all of the author's conclusions and thoughts, this is a MUST READ. I am a working mom with a toddler -- so the portions about work/life balance and motherhood really spoke to me but I think it is applicable for all Christian women, whether they are in the workplace or not. Men who love them will benefit too. The author isn ...more
Emily
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I wanted this to be a great read. It just didn't materialize for me. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the Biblical character Lydia being called a 'sugar mama'; actually yes, I am sure how I feel. I wasn't a fan of it at all. I understood the point - she funded the ministries - but she didn't have the rest of the characteristics that go along with that particular term. This was just one of the many reasons I eventually put the book down without finishing.
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. But I found it frustrating and disheartening. I felt it brought nothing new to the table--maybe I wasn't the target audience. But the overall message I got from this book was: "Hey women! It's OK for you to not find your value by being a wife and mother--you can get your value from your work, too!"

I really wanted her to offer solutions to the challenges facing women and our society in general that she talks about, but she didn't offer any in a satisfying way.
Jeremy
Beaty happily calls herself a feminist and an egalitarian. Here's an article by Jonathan Merritt at The Atlantic. Fiery response here.
Michelle Kuhn
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book centered on the premise that humans are made by God to enjoy, thrive and be fulfilled by work- and the radical notion that women are included in that calling and not relegated to the realms of home and family. I’m being a bit inflammatory, but in Christian subculture there are gender norms surrounding professional work that are not biblical or helpful for women who are striving to use all of their gifts to help the world around them, as well as raise a strong and loving family. It is i ...more
Donna Hines
Jul 29, 2016 rated it liked it
I think this book addresses issues from a working perceptive in terms of receiving payment however many women do services for free such as volunteering, parenting, tending to elders, etc..which wasn't addressed as much as I'd hoped. Also the long term unemployed such as myself was only briefly mentioned. In my own situation I married, had children, and raised our children alone while my spouse ( 11yrmarriage) resided 5 states away with only weekend visits to see me and our 3 kids( 1 med disabled ...more
Jill Robinson
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
So often books like this seem to me to be pushing an agenda. Beaty makes it clear that her agenda is to glorify God. Her insights into women and work are thoughtful, Biblical and encouraging. I wish this book had been around when I was in my 20's!
valerie
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and want to discuss it with someone!
Olivia Ard
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is so incredibly needed. Ms. Beaty addresses several cultural and theological issues about not only women's role in the workplace, but the human role in the workplace, and theological issues surrounding work. I recommend every Christian of both sexes read this as soon as possible.
Victor Gentile
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Katelyn Beaty in her new book, “A Woman’s Place”published by Howard Books gives us A Christian Vision for Your Calling in the Office, the Home, and the World.

From the back cover: The managing editor of Christianity Today and founder of the popular Her.meneutics blog encourages women to find joy in vocation in this game-changing look at the importance of women and work.

Rebecca Payne
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think very highly of Katelyn in both a personal and professional capacity, and was so impressed by this work. I couldn't put it down. For my stage of life, this book was not only encouraging, it was concretely helpful (ie. saying 'work/life integration' versus 'work/life balance').

It was also very motivating as we women in the workforce-- single, married, with kids, without-- are really charting a new course, and we have great opportunity ahead of us in our jobs and in our churches. Made me m
Lauren Cargill
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirtual-growth
Absolutely loved this book! It was so encouraging learning we as Christians can find purpose in whatever line of work we choose to pursue. As women, we do not hear enough that it is okay to pursue a career outside of the home and that it is equally okay to stay home and care for your family. I think Beaty’s message has been misunderstood but she truly does take us back to the roots of feminism which fight for mutuality among men and women in every area of life.
Cindy
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thoughtfully argued, although it's a shame it needs to be. One would hope that making a case for women thriving in the workplace would be utterly unnecessary in 2017, yet in the church it's still a highly debated issue. What nonsense.

One problem I did have with Beaty's approach is her unwillingness to include motherhood as a profession. I now have an MBA, am an adjunct professor at a small liberal arts university, own a boutique marketing agency specializing in brand management and executive spe
Catherine McNiel
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a book worth reading and discussing! I wholeheartedly agree with her egalitarian, pro-woman perspective, and she does an excellent job outlining the Biblical and historical trends that have led us to where we are today. I heartily agree that the current messages implying that women are best suited for domestic work and men for work that impacts the larger society is dangerous to all and in no way "Biblical."

My one confusion is that throughout the book she argues that women are made to w
Patti
May 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
As a woman who left her career to raise and ultimately homeschool her children, I felt bashed and devalued by this book. The only reason I persevered with it is because I was reading and discussing it with a group of women from my church. (You can't discuss that which you have not read.)

While many "godly womanhood" books bash the career mom, the pendulum swings the other way here. It is quite possible that a woman may find great fulfillment---and be following God's plan for her and, thus, buildi
Dorothy Greco
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the key questions Beaty addresses in A Woman's Place is, "Do we, women, really believe that femaleness is a gift? Do we experience it as a core part of ourselves to express freely at the job as much as at home or church?" She skillfully splices out the distinctions between cultural and Scriptural norms which expose our ethnocentrism with regard to women and vocation. The truth is, through history, women have always worked (see Prov. 31)—it's only those family units who come from privilege ...more
Melisa Blok
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book was meh. I wanted to like it, but I hated the title and the cover art (or lack thereof), so this book and I were already off on a bad foot. The argument made in the books seems like it's too late to the table. It assumes that readers are skeptical that women should work outside the home, and so it makes an argument for the importance of work for all people (because God is a worker/creator and we are all made in the image of God). This argument feels dated to me, but perhaps I am not th ...more
Heather
Jan 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, 1-star, faith, feminism
I had genuinely intended to read and wrestle with this book, but I just could not do it. The kitschy tone of voice, the lack of a nuanced focus, the Whiteness, and the attachment to anecdotal evidence split me between utter boredom and the strong desire to throw up.

DNF after chapter one.
Heather
Many of the issues Ms. Beaty touches on in this book are worthy of discussion and further engagement. That said, she seems to have a limited view of what God's call to work can mean for individual women, especially for those who prioritize a role as homemaker. I understand the ditch she is pointing to and yet she doesn't find middle ground here. Could be a good read along with other on-topic books in a book group setting.
Rebecca Halsey
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is fabulous for anyone looking to resolve conflict between feminism and "traditional Christian values." I love how well this author uses the Bible to show that women should pursue careers. It's a refreshing viewpoint!!
Jesse
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
This book was such an encouraging and challenging book for me. Beaty takes a biblical look at a woman's place in the world, examines calling and vocation, and gives women permission to have ambition. I think this is such an important book for the Church, and you should probably read it.
Cara Meredith
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Katelyn Beaty answers the question I've been asking for a long, long time, when it comes to women and work. A must read for men and women, especially in the church.
Beth
Jul 19, 2016 added it
Shelves: gendered, theology
This is a book the church desperately needs right now, and it's executed beautifully and with perfect theological pitch.
Katie
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-2017
Beaty has a clear yet lively discussion of women and work that is both readable and rigorous. She's not denying the realities: that many women feel most fulfilled when pursuing professional goals, that there exists a false dichotomy between work at home and work outside the home, that our understandings of women/work have historical/cultural roots, etc. This means that the book comes across less normative and more realist; this is what's happening, what should we say/do? I appreciated Beaty's re ...more
Holly LaFon
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't dislike this book, but I didn't like it as much as I wanted to. A large swath seems to be a rehashing of The Feminine Mystique for an audience that would never pick up The Feminine Mystique. It also seems confused in its purpose. While advocating for non-domestic vocation, it spends too much time affirming women who choose to stay at home. Is anyone saying that being a mom is not a full-time job? Again, perhaps without it she risks alienating her audience, but it started to undermine he ...more
Amanda
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am grateful to Katelyn Beaty for writing this book, though I haven't really had to deal with this problem much in my life. My family and the church where I grew up supported women who worked, and my mom was a single mom for quite some time so she had to work to support us. I think Katelyn brings up a great point, that people have always had to work to support themselves and having the wife stay home is/was a mark of privilege.
Emily
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m not really sure how to rate this book, 3 or 3.5 stars? A very interesting, thought-provoking read that didn’t necessarily make me come to a decision about what I think on this and other similar topics, but instead is making me wrestle with this topic even more, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I liked a lot of what Beaty said, but some stuff I wasn’t absolutely sure about? But definitely a great book to discuss.
Sylvia Jeronimo
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Im always cautious about anything that smacks of a feminist agenda. This does not. However, it tries to cover too much- the theology of work, the cultural pressures around work for women , the challenges of motherhood and singleness- and gets lost in its focus. It was well intended but not impactful for me.
Camden
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved the topic, agreed with almost everything she said, love the subjects of the chapters. Didn't always like the writing style (vacillated between too many stories of different women and not enough personal stories/examples) and too much history/historical context.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Katelyn Beaty is a writer, speaker, and former managing editor Christianity Today magazine. While at CT she cofounded the women's website Her.meneutics and served as editorial director of the This Is Our City project.

An Ohio native, she has written for The New Yorker, The Washington Post, The Atlantic, and The New York Times, and has been featured on NPR, CNN, ABC News, Religion News Service, and

Nonfiction Deals

$12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • By Myself and Then Some
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • Shakespeare Never Did This
    $6.99 $1.99
  • No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Wish You Happy Forever: What China's Orphans Taught Me About Moving Mountains
    $14.74 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
    $18.95 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Founding Mothers
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours
    $7.95 $2.49
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Life of Lobsters: How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unraveling the Mysteries of Our Favorite Crustacean
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Patriot: The Tangled Lives of William Tecumseh Sherman
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
  • The Reaper: Autobiography of One of the Deadliest Special Ops Snipers
  • Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In
  • On Becoming a Novelist
    $17.99 $1.99
“Laura Waters Hinson, an award-winning documentary filmmaker based in Washington, D.C., described it to me: If you think about the fact that 95 percent of all movies you see are created through a male lens—that’s a staggering thought. The vast majority of the media that we consume, that is shaping our souls in a lot of ways, is created by men. And I love men! But no wonder so much of it is violent or sexualized. This” 0 likes
“Christian culture has too often offered women a push toward contentment that can numb us to our own desires, without offering the tools to discern whether those desires could be good or Holy-Spirit-inspired.” 0 likes