Start by marking “A Woman's Place: A Christian Vision for Your Calling in the Office, the Home, and the World” as Want to Read:

Women today inhabit and excel in every profession, yet many Christian women wonder about the value of work outside the home. And in circles where the traditional family model is highl
Published July 19th 2016 by Howard Books

To ask other readers questions about A Woman's Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Woman's Place

Start your review of A Woman's Place: A Christian Vision for Your Calling in the Office, the Home, and the World
Book Riot Community
Katelyn Beaty, the youngest managing editor ever of Christianity Today, writes a strong call to Christian women to reevaluate their place in the workplace, the home, and the Church. Beaty examines how women are viewed in the Christian church and by the world at large, then examines work and how important it is in preserving dignity in all people, and then commissions women to embrace their ambition. This book has been so encouraging to me, and I have gobbled it up with a lot of underlining andYE ...more
Cheryl Boyd
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book resonates deeply with my life and experience. I appreciate Katelyn’s research and clear description of the difficulties women experience as they steward their lives. We have so far to go if we are to reflect God’s heart and value of all image bearers. Katelyn calls us to that higher standard. Thank you, Katelyn.
Sarah K
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure I will have more thoughts on this book the more I think about it. But for now, the morning after I finished it... all I have to say is wow. Though I didn't agree with all of the author's conclusions and thoughts, this is a MUST READ. I am a working mom with a toddler -- so the portions about work/life balance and motherhood really spoke to me but I think it is applicable for all Christian women, whether they are in the workplace or not. Men who love them will benefit too. The author isn ...more
Kaci Kennedy
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, 2019
4.5 stars, this book was unlike any other Christian book directed towards women book I read. I was challenged to have a perspective shift in many different areas. Several times I wanted to stand up and cheer her on.

Could a friend of mine please read this too so I can discuss it with you? Please and thank you ;)

A couple of little parts started to drag a bit thus why not a five star.
Dorothy Greco
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the key questions Beaty addresses in A Woman's Place is, "Do we, women, really believe that femaleness is a gift? Do we experience it as a core part of ourselves to express freely at the job as much as at home or church?" She skillfully splices out the distinctions between cultural and Scriptural norms which expose our ethnocentrism with regard to women and vocation. The truth is, through history, women have always worked (see Prov. 31)—it's only those family units who come from privilege ...more
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. But I found it frustrating and disheartening. I felt it brought nothing new to the table--maybe I wasn't the target audience. But the overall message I got from this book was: "Hey women! It's OK for you to not find your value by being a wife and mother--you can get your value from your work, too!"

I really wanted her to offer solutions to the challenges facing women and our society in general that she talks about, but she didn't offer any in a satisfying way.
Kara
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A helpful, balanced introduction to an important topic. Some of the chapters were excellent, others I wished had been fleshed out more. It is foremost a challenge to women that as humans made in the image of God, we are people with work and calling. Whether we are in the home, out of the home, or a mixture of both, we ought to work and find the talents and passions that God has gifted us with.

Her chapter on the history of women's industry in America was brief but a highlight, and I'd love to re
Donna Hines
Jul 29, 2016 rated it liked it
I think this book addresses issues from a working perceptive in terms of receiving payment however many women do services for free such as volunteering, parenting, tending to elders, etc..which wasn't addressed as much as I'd hoped. Also the long term unemployed such as myself was only briefly mentioned. In my own situation I married, had children, and raised our children alone while my spouse ( 11yrmarriage) resided 5 states away with only weekend visits to see me and our 3 kids( 1 med disabled ...more
Meredith Sell
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t want to feel like a burden. Try to imagine a man saying this—especially about his career—and it’s almost humorous. Try to imagine a woman saying it, and it seems like a mantra of femininity” (page 215).

If you’re a working Christian woman, you’ve probably felt the tension. I know I have. There’s a sense in many Christian circles that for women, work is just a temporary thing you do until you get married and start having babies. Last fall, in a mostly good conversation with my older broth
Amy Morgan
This was a book I didn’t know I needed. I have read so much on women in the church, home, and leadership in the past few years, but I didn’t realize that I still had some nagging questions about whether the desire to work, in and of itself, was good or selfish.

Beaty gives an unapologetic apologetic for the goodness of work—and the goodness of women working. She points out the primacy of work in the lives of women in Scripture, rooting everything in the creation command given to man and woman to
Jeremy
Beaty happily calls herself a feminist and an egalitarian. Here's an article by Jonathan Merritt at The Atlantic. Fiery response here. ...more
Emily
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I wanted this to be a great read. It just didn't materialize for me. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the Biblical character Lydia being called a 'sugar mama'; actually yes, I am sure how I feel. I wasn't a fan of it at all. I understood the point - she funded the ministries - but she didn't have the rest of the characteristics that go along with that particular term. This was just one of the many reasons I eventually put the book down without finishing.
Jill Robinson
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
So often books like this seem to me to be pushing an agenda. Beaty makes it clear that her agenda is to glorify God. Her insights into women and work are thoughtful, Biblical and encouraging. I wish this book had been around when I was in my 20's!
Jessie LaBelle
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think it’s an important read for any Christian (female or male) regardless of where they fall on traditional gender role views. I did appreciate her bold proclamation that all women should work but did feel that she had to somewhat tip-toe around women who specifically feel called to work in a church (preaching or teaching) because of her largely evangelical/complementarian audience. I know she wanted to honor both sides of that but as an egalitarian I would’ve appreciated a little bit of a pu ...more
Emma Hinkle
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This books purpose was to convince you that humans are meant to work and that since women are humans we are meant to work too, whether that be at home or out in the professional world. There were lots of good takeaways in this book and encouragement but also some concern over the acceptance of some overly feminist tendencies. Otherwise, it was an encouragement and thought provoking!
Erin
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book was like having coffee with a sister. My favorite book I’ve read so far this year. I especially enjoyed the chapter on Ambition. 5 stars for this smart, thoughtful author!!!
Mark
Dec 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: practical, leadership
The author of this book is the managing editor of Christianity Today, and as such writes from experience. As a man, the book sheds some needed light on the experience of many women (the author and others she has interviewed) in their efforts to glorify God with the gifts they have been given.

Katelyn does a great job of nailing down the history of work. A lot of our problems in our age stem from simply not having a very good grasp of history to properly put things in perspective, and this was an
Julie M
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Balanced, diverse perspective on women and work (and purpose) from a Christian perspective. EXACTLY what I needed to read right now! Though it may not help me find a job at my age, it’s making the search a little less daunting. LET ME AMEND: This is an excellently written book that has me looking at author’s website, searching the footnotes for additional resources on the topic, and wanting to reach out to other women in a similar search for meaningful work.
Michelle Kuhn
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book centered on the premise that humans are made by God to enjoy, thrive and be fulfilled by work- and the radical notion that women are included in that calling and not relegated to the realms of home and family. I’m being a bit inflammatory, but in Christian subculture there are gender norms surrounding professional work that are not biblical or helpful for women who are striving to use all of their gifts to help the world around them, as well as raise a strong and loving family. It is i ...more
Victor Gentile
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Katelyn Beaty in her new book, “A Woman’s Place”published by Howard Books gives us A Christian Vision for Your Calling in the Office, the Home, and the World.

From the back cover: The managing editor of Christianity Today and founder of the popular Her.meneutics blog encourages women to find joy in vocation in this game-changing look at the importance of women and work.

Cindy
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thoughtfully argued, although it's a shame it needs to be. One would hope that making a case for women thriving in the workplace would be utterly unnecessary in 2017, yet in the church it's still a highly debated issue. What nonsense.

One problem I did have with Beaty's approach is her unwillingness to include motherhood as a profession. I now have an MBA, am an adjunct professor at a small liberal arts university, own a boutique marketing agency specializing in brand management and executive spe
Catherine McNiel
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a book worth reading and discussing! I wholeheartedly agree with her egalitarian, pro-woman perspective, and she does an excellent job outlining the Biblical and historical trends that have led us to where we are today. I heartily agree that the current messages implying that women are best suited for domestic work and men for work that impacts the larger society is dangerous to all and in no way "Biblical."

My one confusion is that throughout the book she argues that women are made to w
Patti
May 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
As a woman who left her career to raise and ultimately homeschool her children, I felt bashed and devalued by this book. The only reason I persevered with it is because I was reading and discussing it with a group of women from my church. (You can't discuss that which you have not read.)

While many "godly womanhood" books bash the career mom, the pendulum swings the other way here. It is quite possible that a woman may find great fulfillment---and be following God's plan for her and, thus, buildi
Melisa Blok
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book was meh. I wanted to like it, but I hated the title and the cover art (or lack thereof), so this book and I were already off on a bad foot. The argument made in the books seems like it's too late to the table. It assumes that readers are skeptical that women should work outside the home, and so it makes an argument for the importance of work for all people (because God is a worker/creator and we are all made in the image of God). This argument feels dated to me, but perhaps I am not th ...more
Rebecca Payne
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think very highly of Katelyn in both a personal and professional capacity, and was so impressed by this work. I couldn't put it down. For my stage of life, this book was not only encouraging, it was concretely helpful (ie. saying 'work/life integration' versus 'work/life balance').

It was also very motivating as we women in the workforce-- single, married, with kids, without-- are really charting a new course, and we have great opportunity ahead of us in our jobs and in our churches. Made me m
Heather
Many of the issues Ms. Beaty touches on in this book are worthy of discussion and further engagement. That said, she seems to have a limited view of what God's call to work can mean for individual women, especially for those who prioritize a role as homemaker. I understand the ditch she is pointing to and yet she doesn't find middle ground here. Could be a good read along with other on-topic books in a book group setting.
Lauren Cargill
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirtual-growth
Absolutely loved this book! It was so encouraging learning we as Christians can find purpose in whatever line of work we choose to pursue. As women, we do not hear enough that it is okay to pursue a career outside of the home and that it is equally okay to stay home and care for your family. I think Beaty’s message has been misunderstood but she truly does take us back to the roots of feminism which fight for mutuality among men and women in every area of life.
Jesse Doogan
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
This book was such an encouraging and challenging book for me. Beaty takes a biblical look at a woman's place in the world, examines calling and vocation, and gives women permission to have ambition. I think this is such an important book for the Church, and you should probably read it.
Monica
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great, accessible book with hopeful promise of bridging some of the divide between contemporary evangelism and egalitarians and uplifting the power and impact women working alongisde men can have on the world.
Rebecca Halsey
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is fabulous for anyone looking to resolve conflict between feminism and "traditional Christian values." I love how well this author uses the Bible to show that women should pursue careers. It's a refreshing viewpoint!!
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Color of Compromise: The Truth about the American Church’s Complicity in Racism
  • The Preacher’s Wife: The Precarious Power of Evangelical Women Celebrities
  • All That's Good: Recovering the Lost Art of Discernment
  • What Is a Girl Worth?: My Story of Breaking the Silence and Exposing the Truth about Larry Nassar and USA Gymnastics
  • Jesus, Justice, and Gender Roles: A Case for Gender Roles in Ministry
  • Made for More: An Invitation to Live in God's Image
  • The Common Rule: Habits of Purpose for an Age of Distraction
  • The Next Right Thing: A Simple, Soulful Practice for Making Life Decisions
  • Am I Enough?: Embracing the Truth About Who You Are
Katelyn Beaty is the author of "A Woman's Place: A Christian Vision for Your Calling in the Office, the Home, and the World," published by Simon & Schuster in 2016.

An Ohio native, she has written for The New Yorker, The Washington Post, The Atlantic, and The New York Times, and has been featured on NPR, CNN, ABC News, Religion News Service, and the Associated Press. She speaks regularly on work a