Start by marking “I'm Thinking of Ending Things” as Want to Read:
I'm Thinking of Ending Things

I'm Thinking of Ending Things

3.31  ·  Rating details ·  10,790 Ratings  ·  2,429 Reviews
You will be scared. But you won’t know why…

I’m thinking of ending things. Once this thought arrives, it stays. It sticks. It lingers. It’s always there. Always.

Jake once said, “Sometimes a thought is closer to truth, to reality, than an action. You can say anything, you can do anything, but you can’t fake a thought.”

And here’s what I’m thinking: I don’t want to be here.

In
Published June 14th 2016 by Gallery/Scout Press

To ask other readers questions about I'm Thinking of Ending Things, please sign up.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition This is from Heidi on afterthingsend.com - I thought she summed it up beautifully:<spoiler>My take is that Jake (and the narrator too, then) is…moreThis is from Heidi on afterthingsend.com - I thought she summed it up beautifully:<spoiler>My take is that Jake (and the narrator too, then) is someone with multiple personality disorder. He is trying to decide if he should kill himself. Jake is trying to figure out if he was always going to end up alone and committing suicide or if there was any he could have had a seminormal life. Since it's mentioned in the book several times that he's quite intelligent (he was going to be a professor), he creates a last-ditch persona--the girlfriend--to conduct a thought experiment. The girlfriend persona is someone he really did meet at a bar during trivia night, but he never gave her his number, and they never had a relationship. Jake writes down and acts out what would have likely happened if they did in fact have a relationship. Jake concludes that she would have eventually dumped him, and therefore he would still end up as a middle-aged, suicidal janitor. At the end of the story, all of his personas are in agreement that he should kill himself.</spoiler>(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Laura Chatfield I think the book is written from the point of view of the custodian whom we meet toward the end of the book. The story is from one of his notebooks.…moreI think the book is written from the point of view of the custodian whom we meet toward the end of the book. The story is from one of his notebooks. So, the characters in the book (Jake and the girl and the parents, etc. ) don't really exist in real life. The custodian is a loner who has difficulty forming close relationships with others. The author is trying to get us to think about what it is like for people who are seen as social outcasts or "misfits." The custodian finally ends his life because it has no meaning. Maybe after reading this book, the next time we meet someone who seems a little different, we will think twice and try to show acceptance. This book was not labeled Young Adult, but it seemed like a good discussion book for this age group.(less)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Jake and his girlfriend are on a road trip to go and see Jake's parents at their rural farm.
Palm Springs commercial photography

The point of view is from the girlfriend and inside her head we find out that she is thinking of 'ending things' with Jake. Jake is perfect and smart and all that stuff but it's time to just move on. Except for the fact that we are on our way to the whole meet the parents thing.

Once we get to the farm..we get to meet the parents.

With a smidge of this:
Palm Springs commercial photography

Then we find out some stuff and thangs. (I'm totall
Jennifer Masterson
Holy shit that was brilliant!!! What a mind f*ck!!! I have to tell you that I thought this was going to be a 1 or 2 star book for me until the very end. I mean like the last 15 minutes of it.

I'm not sure whether to give this book 4 or 5 Stars. I'm going with 4 for now because the book was filled with so many things that made my stomach turn. I get why the journey was like this now. I'm so ready to hit the fifth star button!

I listened to the audio version of the novel. I think this might have pl
Chelsea Humphrey
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I don’t write a lot of reviews where I give a book under 3 stars; I’d like to think its because I typically know what type of book I like to read, but every now and again I get it completely wrong and I have to write an embarrassing review on why I disliked a novel that everyone else seems to rave about. This was one of those books. I was immediately requesting this one on NetGalley the second I saw it, as it sounded right up my alley. Creepy, suspenseful, vague-YES! However, I’ll say that my no ...more
Deanna
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was ok

I listened to the audio of this one and at first I didn't find it too bad. A woman and her boyfriend, Jake are on their way to his parents for dinner. She is like the title says.....thinking of ending things.

"You will be scared. But you won't know why"

That quote from the book is very true. I was so confused and felt very uncomfortable for almost the entire book. I think this book might be too smart for me because I still don't think I understand it. I wonder if reading the actual book would hav
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
Holy crap on a cracker!

I put off reading this book for such a long time because there were so many negative reviews and I don't see why! I freaking loved this book! It blew me right way! I got if from the Overdrive library and I'm going to be buying it to keep.

Okay, so like the narrator is this woman that I have no idea who she is, name-wise. Unless I missed it, they never say in the book. She's on a road trip with her boyfriend Jake. He is taking her to meet his parents for the first time and
Edward Lorn
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Not sure...
Shelves: audio-books
WINNER OF BEST AUDIOBOOK 2016!

Dig it:

This book is a perfect example of negative reviews selling a book. Specifically Shelbs's and Kells's reviews. I had to see what all the fuss was about. So, yeah, the negative reviews of this book sold me. I paid money for this book based solely on negative reviews. Some authors need to hear that. They need to let that shit sink in. Are Shelbs and Kells stupid for not getting this book? Nope. And I'll explain why.

Iain Reid's I'm Thinking of Ending Things is
Trudi
Oooooh, this is a tough one to review, because it's not going to be for everyone, and I also don't want to give too much away. It's a slim volume that packs such a WALLOP! that creeps up on you, it would be super easy to spoil it for someone if you weren't careful.

Many people have this filed as 'Mystery' or 'Psychological Thriller' and it's sorta a blend of those, but way closer to 'Psychological Horror' for me than anything else. It's an unsettling, paranoid mindfuck that at first appearances
Zoeytron
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-library
Yep. All of them. Stars, that is. This psychological horror novel clicked with me immediately. The level of dread and unease were almost completely off the scale before it was over. The tours of the barn and the abandoned school were fantastic.

An instant recognition of a perfect stranger, whispers, the Caller, there is only one question. (view spoiler) Thought is reality, context is everything.

It's not surprising that the ratings are all over the
Larry H
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Seriously, what the hell was this?

"I think what I want is for someone to know me. Really know me. Know me better than anyone else and maybe even me. Isn't that why we commit to another?"

In Iain Reid's I'm Thinking of Ending Things (I'll admit I thought of ending my reading of this book more than a few times), an unnamed woman is on a road trip with her boyfriend, Jake. They've been dating six weeks, and she enjoys his intelligence, his sense of humor, his intensity, and the way he surprises he
Kelli
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm thinking of spoiling things, or to be more specific, I'm thinking that anything I say about this could spoil it, so I will just say that I read this in one sitting and I was intrigued. 4 stars.
Carol
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My immediate reaction upon finishing: "What was that? It started out with a certain amount of promise, then... the last 150 pages just rambled into an incoherent ending. Either that, or I didn't get the memo."

Update: If you're spoiler averse, don't read this. Readers have a plethora of reviews available to them which dance around this novel so completely that the innocent and unwary can't assess whether it's a book they'd like. I'm here to help. Really.

I initially had difficulty identifying why
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

The following quote pretty much sums up my dream thriller . . .

“My story is not like a movie, I’ll say. It’s not heart-stopping or intense or bloodcurdling or graphic or violent. No jump scares. To me, these qualities aren’t usually scary. Something that disorients, that unsettles what’s taken for granted, something that disturbs and disrupts reality – that’s scary.”

^^^^^Oooooooooo so much excite!!!!

Unfortunately the above-referenc
Liz Barnsley
I finished "I'm Thinking of Ending Things" then I went back to the beginning and read it again.
You will want to read this book more than once. Or you'll want to hide it in the depths of the earth never to be seen again. Probably won't be that much inbetween those two things and the range of reviews would seem to back me on this.

Me? I'm going to tell everyone I know to read this book then read it again.

It scared the living crap out of me but no, don't ask. Iain Reid has written, in my humble opin
Carol
Sincere appreciation is extended to Simon & Schuster and Edelwiess for providing this e-galley for my reading pleasure and honest review. To be published June 14, 2016.

I’m Thinking of Ending Things is the kind of book that is difficult to describe as well as unequivocally recommend. It will appeal to a niche group that likes a well-constructed psychological read. It will not be for everyone but for those of us who like a dark, brooding tale, it will be a winner.

It didn’t start out that way.
Megan • Reading Books Like a Boss (book blog)
JUST POSTED MY REVIEW!

"There are certain things in life, not very many, that are real, confirmed cures for rainy days, for loneliness. Puzzles are like that. We each have to solve our own."

Iain Reid's fiction debut is unsettling, disturbing, and nerve-wrecking, an atmospheric novel about the fragility of the human condition. I'm Thinking of Ending Things will draw you in from the first page and drive you crazy trying to figure out what in the world is going on.
"The most important things are per
Ann Marie
Sep 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
This was a very quick read and it kept me in suspense until the very end. That's the good news. The bad news? I don't know what the hell happened. I don't know how it ended. Seriously.

In an bout of frustration, I Google searched spoilers. I found an entire web site dedicated to discussing this very issue. Even the people that loved the book were, for the most part, confused. The general consensus seems to be that if you read the book twice, it'll all become very clear. Here's the thing:

I'm not
Dianne
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure what to say about this one. Very suspenseful, moody and atmospheric, with a sense of impending doom. Well written and very odd (in a good way). It's a fairly quick and engrossing read.

I think you will probably get the gist of what is going on early in the book, but the exact way it plays out isn't "clear" until the end. I put quotes on clear for a reason - clear as MUD. I am pretty sure I understand the end, but I don't know that it was executed as well as it could have been. Might be a
Brenda
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's so difficult to review this book without explaining the book! It's a short quick read and that's good because you might want to read it twice. At the least, go back and read the italicized chapters separately. I think even telling how the book made me feel will give it away.

Reviews are divided; the book is unique and clever. If you read it, I hope you "get" it.
Fictionophile
One thing’s for sure. I’ll never hear “Hey Good Lookin’” again with having chills go down my spine…

Iain Reid’s novel is not for everyone. I think that you will either hate it, or, as I did, love it! Some reviewers termed it a ‘mind f**k’. I have to agree. It is the type of book, that to appreciate all the nuances, you have to read twice. Even though my TBR is long, I did go back and reread many pages in order to get my head around it. This review will be different because I can’t say much withou
Lindsey Rey
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the scariest thing I have ever read in my life. I'm gonna go hide under a blanket now.
Robin
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it

Ooooooooooooooh YES. Iain Reid, you got me. You reeled me in with your intelligent writing, got me to wade in those murky waters with your off kilter narrator, got my imagination going with the image of "The Caller", freaked me out good in that farmhouse with those dead lambs and chickens who eat their own eggs, and kept it going all the way through until the merciless ending, where I said - 'PARDON?' Now I need to read this all over again.

This is Reid's debut fiction novel, and he has
Mandy
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
I really enjoyed this twisted little read.
I can absolutely see why it's a love it or hate it read. I can also see why everyone says to go into it blind. It's one of those books that really benefit from the reader knowing hardly anything.
I felt real tension building in me as I was reading this book. I desperately needed to keep reading, to find out what was going to happen.
The ending, oh my god the ending! I kind of half figured it out, but got it the wrong way round. If you've read the book, you
Petra
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology, netgalley
Weirdest little book of 2016 so far with a superbly ambiguous and most apt title. At 224 pages, this can easily be read in one sitting and maybe the best way to enjoy it. My initial reaction on finishing this was too rude to be repeated here, and I was all set for a 2-stars rating. Then I went back to the first chapter and went over it again, and that's when I started to appreciate the real brilliance of this.
As the road trip in the cold and dark to the remoteness of the parents' farm started,
Brandie
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it
I don't even know wtf I just read. That was so creepy and bizarre.
Jill
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Weird, disturbing, surprising, dense, creepy and unsettling. I loved it.
Lori
Listened 10/29/16 - 10/31-16
5 Stars - Highly Recommended / The Next Best Audio Book - What are you waiting for?
Length: 5 hours, 22 minutes
Narrator: Candace Thaxton
Publisher: Simon and Schuster Audio
Released: June 2016

Holy crap was that a nerve-wracking read! I'm surprised I didn't revert back to nail-biting as I listened to this book on my daily commute back and forth to work. I don't usually do well with high tension wtf-ery but wow, this thing. This fucking thing! I am throwing all the stars a
Blair
Thought is reality. Actions can be faked.

It's hard to talk about this book without talking about its Big Twist Ending, which, depending on who you ask, is either stupefying or trite, a sharp slap in the face or a damp squib. For me – well, at a certain point I saw it coming. And for what it's worth, I think it's a good twist. But that is not why I loved this book, and I think it's a shame the twist seems to swallow up all other discussion of its many strengths.

The narrator, a nameless woman, is
Barbara
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow!! What a creepy novel! I haven’t been creeped out like this in a long time. I’m grateful that it’s a short novel, as I don’t think I could stand the suspense much longer.

The novel opens with the line “I’m thinking of ending things”. The reader learns that these are the thoughts of Jake’s girlfriend. Almost the entire novel is the girlfriend’s (she unnamed throughout the novel) musings on her relationship with Jake. Between musings are italicized dialogues that suggest that something horrible
Franco  Santos
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
¡Genial! Adictivo, con una dosis altísima de suspenso y terror y un final que, a pesar de que en parte me lo esperaba, no arruinó de ninguna manera mi disfrute del libro. Me fue imposible parar hasta terminarlo. No puedo decir mucho más sin entrar en spoilers, así que si les gusta sentir elevados grados de tensión y asfixia, no deben evitar leer I'm Thinking of Ending Things. Muy recomendable.
E.
This book lived up to the promise "you'll be scared but you won't know why".
It was creepy, freaky, strange.
It was a road trip that, in a way, seemed normal, but there was an underlying sense of dread the whole time. I could not guess what direction this was going.
At the end, it all came together ;)

It's a short book, so I'll probably read it again with a different set of eyes.
I will never go to Dairy Queen again.
Clarity 4 42 May 04, 2017 11:36AM
  • All Is Not Forgotten
  • The Girl Before
  • Love Her Madly
  • Good as Gone
  • Dark Horse (Eddy Harkness #2)
Iain Reid is the author of two critically acclaimed, award-winning books of nonfiction, One Bird's Choice, and The Truth About Luck, which was one of The Globe and Mail's best books of 2013. In 2015, he received the RBC Taylor Emerging Writer Award. Reid’s work has appeared in a variety of publications throughout North America. I’m Thinking of Ending Things is his first novel.
More about Iain Reid...

“Sometimes a thought is closer to truth, to reality, than an action. You can say anything, you can do anything, but you can't fake a thought.” 33 likes
“I think what I want is for someone to know me. Really know me. Know me better than anyone else and maybe even me. Isn’t that why we commit to another? It’s not for sex. If it were for sex, we wouldn’t marry one person. We’d just keep finding new partners. We commit for many reasons, I know, but the more I think about it, the more I think long-term relationships are for getting to know someone. I want someone to know me, really know me, almost like that person could get into my head. What would that feel like? To have access, to know what it’s like in someone else’s head. To rely on someone else, have him rely on you. That’s not a biological connection like the one between parents and children. This kind of relationship would be chosen. It would be something cooler, harder to achieve than one built on biology and shared genetics. I think that’s it. Maybe that’s how we know when a relationship is real. When someone else previously unconnected to us knows us in a way we never thought or believed possible.” 17 likes