Start by marking “The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1)

The Glittering Court

(The Glittering Court #1)

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  22,459 ratings  ·  3,457 reviews
Big and sweeping, spanning from the refined palaces of Osfrid to the gold dust and untamed forests of Adoria, The Glittering Court tells the story of Adelaide, an Osfridian countess who poses as her servant to escape an arranged marriage and start a new life in Adoria, the New World. But to do that, she must join the Glittering Court.

Both a school and a business venture, t
Published April 5th 2016 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about The Glittering Court, please sign up.
Maria Souza I've read 24 books by Richelle, this one does not seem to be written by her. It's a Historical Romance, I love HR but this book was mehh. There are no…moreI've read 24 books by Richelle, this one does not seem to be written by her. It's a Historical Romance, I love HR but this book was mehh. There are no romance, no adventures the villain is like a petty rich teenager.(less)

·  22,459 ratings  ·  3,457 reviews

Emily May
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, young-adult, fantasy, 2016
A fantasy for those who thought The Selection wasn't long enough.
“Winifred, the first girl, would look so lovely in the diamond colouring. Ruby’s the next most precious stone, and that obviously wouldn’t suit you with your hair. So third, as a sapphire, seemed like-“
“Sapphire?” interrupted Tamsin. “Sapphire? Everyone knows green is my best color. Isn’t an emerald rarer than a sapphire?"

Who fucking cares? Because I surely don't.

I'll start with credit where it's due - the beginning of this book
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I should have known from the blurb that this wasn't going to work for me.
The Selection meets Reign in this dazzling trilogy of interwoven novels about three girls on a quest for freedom and true love.
Really. This is my own fault. What did I think this book was going to be? I couldn't bear the aching stupidity of The Selection. Reign, the TV show, was abominably dumb, and more a parade of pretty prom dresses than anything resembling historical fact. And for once, the book was true to the blurb,
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I don't know if I made an assumption based on the title 'THE GLITTERING COURT' and fantasy being listed as the primary genre, or if I saw something somewhere that said "Fae," OR if I just desperately wanted this book to be about Fae, but regardless of what led me to my conclusion, what you need to know is that THE GLITTERING COURT is NOT about Fae.

Not only is it not about Fae, it's one of those weird half-fantasies that've been turning up everywhere the last few
Angela
Feb 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star-reads
The Glitter Court is about a high society lady who steals the identity of her maid and becomes Adelaide. Adelaide is one of the chosen ones who will be taken to the New World. Adelaide of course is a special snowflake and gets tons of male attention. She is however more interested in Cedric.

Though Adelaide has some pretty comical moments while pretending to be who she is not I ultimately found myself wanting more out of her character. I like my women a little more badass and a little less dress
Ayesha
Apr 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: In search of religious Book Boyfriends
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, 2016

RECIPE:How to make Chocolate Chip cookies!(For real)
INSTRUCTIONS:
PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes;
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
This is probably one of the shortest reviews I’ve ever written but I think I really can’t say an awful lot about “The Glittering Court”. I really loved Richelle Mead’s other books but this one was so unlike her. I didn’t feel anything while I read this book and I’m really sorry to say it, but I’m kind of indifferent to all of the characters that were a part of this story.
They were so one-dimensional that I found myself not caring what would happen to them next and I constantly struggled to brin
Samantha
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
*2.5 stars*

I had high hopes for this book and there were some elements I really enjoyed, but mostly, this book was messy.

Firstly, there was too much going on. This story felt like 4 different books thrown into one with parts missing. It was convoluted. That being said, the first third to half I really enjoyed. I adored the characters in this story, and they really shine in the first half.

Secondly, the world building was weak. This is a historical fiction novel that is trying to pass as fantas
Riley
Dec 11, 2015 marked it as did-not-finish
Reasons why this book did not work for me:

1. It is marketed as a fantasy but nothing about this book is fantasy. This would have made so much more sense if it was a historical fiction book because all Richelle Mead did was take places and customs from our world and give them new names.

2. There were so many plot holes and unanswered questions since this is going to be a companion series. The idea of having each book in this series follow a different girl sounds good, but it didn't work for me.

Irena
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Ladies and gentlemen, I now present you my review in pictures:

This is what The Glittering Court is about:

description

Only, imagine girls instead of horses.
Girls who are trained to become polite ladies so they could be sold to rich gentlemens who would marry them.
Before you turn upon me because I'm comparing girls to horses, let me say that that was my point: to show you how objectified women in this story were.

This is how happy I was when I started this novel:
description

This is how I felt most of the time while readin
Rose
Initial reaction: *shakes head* One of the few times I'm speechless as one of the authors I hold in high regard wrote one of the most ethnocentric and bigoted pieces of fiction I've read in this genre to date. I'm honestly stunned. Native populations deserve a lot better than this. (As does the GLBT community).

I mean, I know that this book is stand-alone and told from the perspective of different girls in each of the three books, but if your first book starts out with something like this, it'
Ryan
Nov 22, 2016 marked it as lowkey-curious
Oh, look! Another book I want to read because everyone dislikes it.

description

(Probably, let's be honest here.)
Helen 2.0
WARNING: I was extremely tired and grumpy when I wrote this. I apologize for excessive sass.

DNF at 300 pages in. I couldn't keep pretending I cared in any way about these characters. If you liked this book, you might want to look away right about now.

So this book is about Adelaide/whatever her original name was, a highborn lady whose family is running out of funds. To escape arranged marriage with a glorified oats farmer, she joins a school designed to teach girls skills Adelaide already knows
Wendy Darling
But no complication will prove quite as daunting as the potent attraction simmering between Adelaide and Cedric. An attraction that, if acted on, would scandalize the Glittering Court and make them both outcasts in wild, vastly uncharted lands. . . .

:D

SCANDALIZE ME.
Sophie
Oct 26, 2015 marked it as maybe-read
Shelves: 2016-releases
New Richelle Mead? I need this now!!!

P.S. Anyone else think the cover model looks a bit like Zoey Deutch?
Alyssa
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-releases
REALLY GOOD. And I actually really love that the next two books will be companion sequels, told in the perspective of two different girls. Adelaide's story is very complete and wrapped up. Mira's story, and Tamsin's story... I can't wait to see who is next! Both of them are wonderful characters. <3

Anyway, THIS Mead book really worked for me!

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead
Book One of The Glittering Court series
Publisher: Razorbill
Publication
Melanie
Nov 12, 2015 rated it did not like it

I've read almost everything Richelle Mead has ever written, but I think it's time for me to stop. Do you ever feel like maybe you outgrew an author? I remember buying physical Vampire Academy books at midnight, because they were so magical I couldn't wait! One time, during a move, my new house didn't have internet yet, so I camped out in a McDonald's parking lot at midnight so I could download The Indigo Spell. To this date, the Dark Swan series is one the best series I've ever read and is sti
Jeff
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
So, I've heard of the vampire academy series for a while and jeez, that's quite a few books to take care of, so hey, when this series came along, it was just.....JACKPOT.

See, I thought this was gonna be a stupendous book.
I mean, first of all, I thought that there would be glitter.
GLITTER.

So.....hehe, yah THERE WASN'T ANY.
NO F*CKING GLITTERY COURT AT ALL -_-

EXCEPT: A WHINY GIRL WHO DECIDED TO RUN AWAY FROM HER LIFE.

See, I believe in freedom and all that.
Rights?
Freedom of speech?
Anyone?

So of cours
Katerina Kondrenko
2 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Genre: high-fantasy, YA
Stuff: historical hints, bride-market
Fail: boring story and characters
POV: 1st-person, female
Love-Geometry: seeming

Quote-Core:
“We’re all in charge of our own lives—and we have to live with the consequences of the choices we make.”

Buddy-DNF with Nastassja.

I rarely
Bree
Oct 27, 2015 marked it as to-read
I'm sorry, but how many times can Richelle Mead get shitty cover after shitty cover?
FOR EVERY SERIES SHE HAS EVER DONE.
This is a tragedy. It feels like Leonardo Decaprio never recieving a Oscar.
Why must the wonderful things be taken from the talented people, PRAY TELL ME!

God, Just, look at it.
She looks like the glittering court gave her an allergic reaction
And JESUS. I haven't even begun with the title yet. WTF.
I FEEL LIKE TAKING THIS TITLE TO COURT AND DEMANDING IT BE JAILED AND LOCKED AWAY A
Lindsey Rey
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, young-adult
[4.5 Stars]
Nastassja

Actual rating: 1.5 stars

DNF at about 53%

Welcome to a fancy brothel! Every kind of girl is available here for a good price. Have a pick.

Our MC is the Countess of Rothford. Her life is pretty hard: she has to marry an itching nasty cousin or stay moneyless heiress and loose her grand fancy house *gasp* what a terrible fate! How will our poor baby find a way out of this situation? Will she decide to stay poor but, at least, save her pride and title? Or will she marry her terrible cousin? N

Wanderlust_Wanz
The Glittering Court is quite an enjoyable read, with its rather intriguing premise and slow-building romance between Adelaide and Cedric. Though there were some flaws present such as slow pacing and certain loopholes, I still enjoyed it as a whole regardless.

Things started to get more interesting when Adelaide departed to Adoria after receiving ample etiquette trainings where she met with other potential and noteworthy suitors, or so she thought as things started to go downhill for her. Still,
Stacee

I loved the premise and hello gorgeous cover, so I was eager to start this book. Once I got started, I tried to take my time because I wanted to savor it.

Love love love Adelaide. She's sassy and fantastically outspoken for the time period. Her BFFs Tamsin and Mira were just as delightful and I really enjoyed all of the scenes with the three of them. And Cedric...he's a whole other story. The UST between him and Adelaide is so delicious. There are some of the sweetest swoons and their b
Mel
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I expanded on this review a lot in my video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNOLn...

Edit: I just can't. It has to be 3 stars.

This is a 3.5 stars. I have never more than now wanted there to be half ratings on GR because 3 is too low and 4 is too high. But I'm going to round UP for this book because I feel like the book is rated low enough. But this may change.

So I filmed a spoiler-free video review for this book because I really felt the need to discuss my feelings out loud, and also not
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)
Hmmm, kind of want to read, but also not sure if I want to get invested in another series by Richelle Mead because I'm always disappointed in how she ends them...

The Glittering Court is the first installment in Richelle Mead's series titled (surprise, surprise) The Glittering Court. At this point in my reviews, I would have listed the genres but I kinda have a problem. It is marketed as a fantasy but I find this severely misleading. The Glittering Court is historical fiction with conveniently made-up names for the countries and oceans. There is no fantasy in this book. As for historical fiction, it wasn't bad. I liked the first half very much actually.
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-releases
I've been a longtime fan of Richelle Mead, and although this is completely unlike any of her other works, I found myself completely delighted by her latest series starter, The Glittering Court. It has so many fascinating components weaved together in a way that somehow works. With strong characters, adorable romance, and many intertwined plot conflicts, this series definitely has a lot going for it.

Wanting to escape a loveless pending marriage and a stifling lifestyle, Adelaide assumes her serva
Rachel E. Carter
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: have-paperback
I wasn't sure what to expect going in, this book took all my expectations and kind of threw them out the window. From a finishing school to gold panning, and yet I kinda loved it. I suppose what I wasn't expecting was that each book is actually a standalone from a different character's perspective, and to be honest I'm not sure I want to read two more in the same timeline so I'll pass on the sequels... It was a good book, I enjoyed it, yes the ending was a bit convenient, but who cares: I had fu ...more
Madison
Oct 26, 2015 marked it as to-read
First of all... that cover!

description

Side bar: Doesn't the girl kind of look like Zoey Deutsch (who played Rose in Vampire Academy?)

description

And then the name... it makes me think of diamonds. Like a room made of diamonds.

description

Diamonds, sparkly things. It's all the same, right?

Then finally the description! I love that they are going to be standalone novels, but also interconnected. Sounds a little bit like The Lunar Chronicles, but without the multiple POVs. Or perhaps maybe more akin to Graceling?

"The Glittering Cou
Yodamom
I started this book as a young woman I finished old and wrinkled, it was that long and dull. I want my youth back ! I almost quit it so many times. I didn't, I held on because I knew she had some secret BOOM moment coming that would make all the nodding off and forced reading worth it. No, it was 400 pages of slow conversations, inner dialogs, dressing and hair, boring meetings and even more boring problems. i thought the last 40 pages were picking up. Gods that sounds so sad. Well I thought th ...more

• The Great Hunt (Eurona Duology, #1)
  • Witchfall (The Tudor Witch Trilogy, #2)
  • Other Worlds
  • Sword and Verse (Sword and Verse, #1)
  • The Shattered Court (The Four Arts, #1)
  • The Flame Never Dies (The Stars Never Rise, #2)
  • Darkest Fear (Birthright, #1)
  • The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen, #1)
  • Fireblood (Fireblood, #1)
  • Riders (Riders, #1)
  • Burning Glass (Burning Glass, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A Book of Spirits and Thieves (Spirits and Thieves, #1)
  • Frostfire (Kanin Chronicles, #1)
  • The Mephisto Mark (The Mephisto Covenant #3)
  • Ruined (Ruined, #1)
  • Storm Siren (Storm Siren, #1)
  • Walk on Earth a Stranger  (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #1)

A life-long reader, Richelle has always loved mythology and folklore. When she can actually tear herself away f

The Glittering Court (3 books)
  • Midnight Jewel (The Glittering Court, #2)
  • The Emerald Sea (The Glittering Court #3)
“That easy, confident grin returned. “Don’t worry, it’s easily forgotten.”
“Well,” I said huffily, “it shouldn’t be that easily forgotten.”
“Would you like it better if I say I’ll eventually forget it but not without a great deal of struggle and torment?”
“Yes.”
“Done.”
21 likes
“Do you think my being someone else's wife will change anything? Don't you know that I'd lie with you in the groves, under the light of the moon? That I'd defy the laws of gods and men for you?” 16 likes