Start by marking “Stars So Sweet (All Four Stars, #3)” as Want to Read:
Stars So Sweet (All Four Stars, #3)

Stars So Sweet

(All Four Stars #3)

Joan Bauer meets Ruth Reichl in this charming middle grade foodie series.

As the summer winds down and Gladys Gatsby prepares to start middle school, she is nervous about juggling schoolwork and looming deadlines from her secret job as the New York Standard’s youngest restaurant critic. When her editor pushes for a face-to-face meeting to discuss more opportunities with
Published July 19th 2016 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Stars So Sweet, please sign up.
Tara Indeed, the series is wrapping up here. But as Colleen mentioned, I'll have a new, different middle-grade novel out in 2017.

Start your review of Stars So Sweet (All Four Stars, #3)
Colleen
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This review is from my fifth grade daughter...

The book was like my moms super delicious brownies. The suspense and conflict was the books sugar and butter. I finished it in one day it was so good. Tara Dairmen's third book was even better than Mrs. Anderson's infamous brownies.
Patricia
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: older-children
Creatively written and in great step with the previous 2 books of the series. Still fun to read. I still love the foodie aspect - original idea compared to other MG books. Disappointed with the slight twist of 1 character at the end - the detail was unnecessary and a book spoiler, especially when this series started out more delightful than other MG books.
Laura Resau
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful, funny, heartwarming book in this fantastic series! I loved following our lovable heroine Gladys on her foodie adventures... this time, as she navigates middle school. I feel so much fondness for the characters, both familiar and new, and I loved seeing them grow and change and rise to meet life's challenges. My favorite part about this latest book is the French influence... French food, French club, cool Francophile aunt. So much mouth-watering fun!
flourgirl
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Liked book very much overall. Did not like twist taken by one character at end.
Cheryl
Apr 22, 2017 rated it liked it
As with the other entries in the series, I'm rounding up a half star from my true opinion. I do think there's a lot of appeal and good values in these for kids. I found them to be repetitious & wordy and am glad I'm done. And I did have to keep telling myself "suspend disbelief; read it like a fairy tale." Very glad of the satisfying ending to the trilogy.

But there were random problems, too. Too much romance, imo, for 12 yo seventh-graders. A random snarky comment about Rolanda learning a lot a
Rubal
decided to go through the reviews before starting it and most of the 1/2 star ones are homophobic af. going to report all of them but goodreads doesn't really take any action about this stuff (have previous experience with this.) :|
Katie
Shelves: middle-grade
What I Loved:
-Gladys’s passion for cooking and all things foodie is front and center in the narrative, as it has been in the last two books.

-Her diverse group of friends and their differing personalities and quirks are part of the action as welll—you’ll find appearances by Parm, Charissa, and Sandy. I assure you—you’ll definitely be laughing throughout the book, just as you probably were with the first two.

-The story features different cuisines and ingredients some readers may have never heard
Maria
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Jen (Pop! Goes The Reader)
Did you find this review helpful? Find more of my reviews at Pop! Goes The Reader!

She was trying to help her friends see the bright side – but at the same time, the pit of worry that had entered her stomach in the schoolyard now felt like it was sprouting into a full-grown tree of anxiety. Two classes with Charissa and none with Parm left a whole lot of classes with zero friends. Her parents would surely advise her to make new ones, but Gladys would rather tackle a hundred difficult new recipes
Faith Hough
I was disappointed with this conclusion to the series. I guess maybe only Indiana Jones is best in the third installment. :)
While most of the book was enjoyable enough, a few things stuck with me after finishing.
For me, far too much focus on romantic relationships for a book starring 12-year-olds.
Secondly, and most importantly, the consequences of the MC keeping a HUGE secret from her parents for months were very mild and glib--and those other adults keeping her secret? I don't know...it made me
Brenda
Originally posted at Log Cabin Library

Opening line: "Glady Gatsby felt like a fish was flopping around in her stomach."

It's the first day of school and time for Gladys to catch up with her best friends, Parm and Charrisa. Moving up to middle school means lots of changes, like having to meet new people when you no longer share any classes with your two best friends. At the same time, Gladys has been struggling with feeling guilty and being a little dishonest for not revealing her secret job as a
Stephanie
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Original (and full) review posted on kitchen frolic.

(Note: I was sent an ARC from the publisher in order to do a review)

When I was told I'd be getting a copy of Stars So Sweet to review, I must say, I had a major case of the bittersweets – on one hand, I was super excited to dive into another Gladys Gatsby adventure … but on the other hand, I knew it was the final book in this fun little trilogy, which meant that it was the LAST Gladys Gatsby adventure.

In this last instalment, Gladys, our intrep
Darcy
Apr 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, ya
This was a cute one. I liked how Gladys managed to face middle school, find a way to fit in and join as her parents are always after her for. Gladys also managed to come clean about her job. I thought she did that in a good way, one that would let her keep her foot in the door and do what she loved.
Kareena
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this series! Easy reads now but still really good.
Anne Beardsley
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Did Tara Dairman stop loving food?
Her character Gladys has. Her parents let her in the kitchen only once a week, and she's mad but shows no sign of suffering through the meals she can't cook.
She doesn't seem to be studying recipies for fun or reading food writing any more. When she eats good things, I don't feel the enthusiam, just the documenting of fact.
She cooks, but it's out of a sense of duty and a charitable desire to fundraise for clubs through her bake sales. She doesn't seem to tease
Lauren
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
There’s so much potential in a story about a junior-high girl who masquerades as a restaurant critic, but I continue to be disappointed by Gladys Gatsby and her lukewarm tales.

Stars So Sweet is too, too full of different subplots, like a dish made by a cook who doesn’t understand that with seasoning, sometimes less is more. If the subplots were intriguing or tied together, I would be more onboard with such a crowded novel. Plus, a couple of them required that eye-rolling crutch of adults being t
Claire
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2018, trilogies
I have waited a long time to read this book. My local library wouldn't get it so I had to wait 2 years to get it from another library. I was determined to find out how this story ended... And frankly, it was not a great as I had hoped.

I forget that Gladys is only 12 years old because I swear sometimes she behaves like she is 16 (was Tara wishing she was writing young adult?). Complaining that a boy has not made contact with her, you can contact him, my dear. And why do you want a phone to send
Amy Oberts
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Ren
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
I feel like a jerk for giving this book only 3 stars. I think I would have loved the book if I was in middle grade -- it was just a tad too predictable for an adult reader.

I loved the characters, though! A really excellent cast of secondary characters. Sad to see that some people are downvoting the book just because one of the characters comes out as gay. Spoiler alert, concerned parents of the world: some people are gay. Some children will grow up and discover they're gay. It's good to have boo
Julia Gilkeson
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have thoroughly enjoyed the authors way of simplifying complex tastes and emotions through out the series. I was happy to see an honest portrayal of the awkward years between childhood and being a teenager. I appreciated Gladys’s desire to make good kind decisions. I want more role models like her. And I appreciated the sapphic undertones of one of the characters, it was not blatant though the clues were there throughout the series. It’s nice for girls to identify with the characters and not m ...more
Rachel
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Allison
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I didn't love this third book in the series nearly as much as the other two. It felt disjointed and so much of it was unnecessary and just blah. And I wasn't feeling the foodie reviews at all. Those were so weak and so different from the past two books- so much so, it didn't even feel like the same writer. I'd tell future readers to stop at the second book, honestly. The first two were so sweet! This one was completely lackluster for me.
Kathy Heare Watts
I've passed this on to a granddaughter (age 12½) who is missing school and loves to read.

I won a copy of this book during a Goodreads giveaway. I am under no obligation to leave a review or rating and do so voluntarily. I am paying it forward by passing this book along to a family member who I think will enjoy it too.
Darla
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall this was a satisfying end to the trilogy. Gladys is such a spunky protagonist and it was gratifying to see her working through some of the unsolved problems in the earlier books. I am taking off one star for a couple of rather lame "knots" tied up in the end. They don't really match up with the rest of the overall story and seemed to be thrown in at the last minute.
Stacey
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have thoroughly enjoyed the books about Gladys, as have my students. This third book read like a finale to the series though one can never be sure. A worthwhile read-aloud or recommended title for grades 3-6.
Jasmine Marie {#thebookishmama}
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
I just love the character Gladys Gatsby. It was fun to go through another set of adventures with this delightful foodie, restaurant critic for a big NYC newspaper. I hope there is more to come for the All Four Stars books!
Paige
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Michael Kott
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jake-zoe
A fitting end to a series I did not want to end. Well done and great writing!!!
Sakshamms08gmail.Com
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
I didn't enjoy this book as much as the other two in the series. This book kept going on and on but never got to the point and other things the writer should have just focused on the book.
Taylor
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is one of the BEST books I’ve ever read. It is full of cooking, disasters, and just normal life stories. I mean, like, 6 bake sales in a week?! Now that’s a GOOD story.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Mr. Lemoncello's All-Star Breakout Game (Mr. Lemoncello's Library, #4)
  • Caterpillar Summer
  • Bliss (The Bliss Bakery, #1)
  • Half a Chance
  • Max Einstein: The Genius Experiment (Max Einstein, #1)
  • Study with Me: Effective Bullet Journaling Techniques, Habits, and Hacks To Be Successful, Productive, and Organized-With Special Strategies for Mathematics, Science, History, Languages, and More
  • Absolutely Truly
  • Charmed (Fairy Tale Reform School, #2)
  • From the Notebooks of a Middle School Princess (From the Notebooks of a Middle School Princess, #1)
  • Who Was Leonardo da Vinci?
  • A Dash of Magic (The Bliss Bakery, #2)
  • From the Desk of Zoe Washington
  • NERDS: National Espionage, Rescue, and Defense Society (NERDS, #1)
  • Wonderland
  • Walking with Miss Millie
  • The Bicycle Spy
  • The How & the Why
  • Cake Pop Crush (Wish, #1)
Tara Dairman is the author of the middle-grade foodie novels ALL FOUR STARS, THE STARS OF SUMMER, STARS SO SWEET, and THE GREAT HIBERNATION (coming in 2017), all published by Penguin Random House. She is also a playwright and a recovering round-the-world honeymooner (2 years, 74 countries!).

Tara holds a B.A. in Creative Writing from Dartmouth College and is represented by Ammi-Joan Paquette of th

All Four Stars (3 books)
  • All Four Stars (All Four Stars #1)
  • The Stars of Summer (All Four Stars, #2)