Start by marking “White Bone (Risk Agent, #4)” as Want to Read:
White Bone (Risk Agent, #4)

White Bone

(Risk Agent #4)

John Knox and Grace Chu, the incomparable duo of the Risk Agent novels, team up again in the latest international thrill ride from New York Times–bestselling author Ridley Pearson.

When ex–military contractor John Knox receives a text from partner Grace Chu warning that she fears her cover may have been blown while on assignment, he jumps into action. Knox must locate he
Published July 19th 2016 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about White Bone, please sign up.

Ken Ransom
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
The description of a firefight between poachers and vigilante rangers on page six was almost enough for me to stop reading.

"The bittersweet smell of cordite and gunpowder warmed Koigi's nostrils."

Cordite manufacturing CEASED around the end of WW II. Cordite was first developed in the U.K. in 1889 and used in rifle cartridges, tank guns, and naval guns. It is a smokeless propellant and was even used in the detonating system of the atomic bomb but, after World War II, it wasn't used again. Koigi m
Beth
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
My kind of book! I picked it up because it included elephant poaching. The title was a reference to their tusks. To have intrigue take place in the Kenya of corruption and poaching and rangers who care as well as rogue Rangers, was a good read.

This is the first time I have read this author. Because the settings included both the city of Nairobi and Safari environment, for a safari aficionado, this was the perfect book for me to read. Yes, some of it was a bit implausible, but so many of these s
D.F. Haley
Aug 13, 2016 rated it liked it
John & Grace in Africa. I think I missed the previous book in this series but read the first two and generally liked them (but didn't love them). I'm a huge Ridley Pearson fan from his earlier work, but this international spy stuff does not seem to fit well with the style in which he's chosen to write them.

The standout part of this book is Grace going native. The failure for me was the plotline around John's search for Grace. His results appeared too serendipitous to me relative to his actio
Kathy
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was the first I have read by this author, and I intend to look for more. The setting of the African bush appealed to me as my son served in the Peace Corps in Africa and his stories of encounters with the magnificent animals that roam there are memorable. This action/survival tale will do nothing to attract tourists, however.
We have one member of a specialized rescue team in danger, alerting another with a cryptic text message that she may be blown. He is quick to respond and meet with
Margaret1358 Joyce
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
This narrative plunges the reader into the world of international black market dealings for ivory and rhino horn. The setting-- Kenya-- Nairobi, wild bush country, with references to Mombasa, and Somalia to the northeast-- is the star of the show, with devastating descriptions of bush life and survival therein, as practiced for thousands of years by the Masaii. Vicious Somali poachers vie with brave wild life activists for the future of remaining elephant herds. The humans, in the end, are less ...more
Ruth
Aug 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense
It was all the book jacket promised, but it was just OK for me. Perhaps I should have read the 3 previous ones to have an interest in #4. But I was thinking they would all survive and the world would continue on with good and bad people.
Quillracer
This book was better than The Red Room, the prior book in the series.

John Knox has to deal with corruption, double dealing, and other forms of treachery as he hunts Grace Chu after she disappears in the wilds of Kenya.

Similar to the storyline in the The Red Room, there are multiple reasons behind what Grace is doing in Kenya – tracing missing vaccines or stolen ivory and rhino horn or poachers or their ill-gotten gains. The reasons are tied together but the constant flipping back and forth betwe
Judith Johnson
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was recommended by Stephen King. I have mixed feelings about it. The subject of protection of wildlife in Africa, especially of elephants and rhinos who are killed for their horns, is very dear to my heart. But the violence in the book is disturbing and there are a lot of machinations for getting people out of impossible situations which seem improbable. One thing in particular was upsetting, the idea of shooting an elephant in able to be rescued although that did turn out not to happe ...more
Darlene Franklin
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to receive a copy of this book for reading/reviewing. Located in Africa with characters from China and America, this book kept you reading with its fast paced plot. Many African animals played center stage where the reader felt human fear from their size, beauty, and killing. Elephant ivory was important to the plot and the reader felt sympathy and admiration for these huge mammals in their treatment by people protecting them and wanting to tusk them.
Msgadget
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If this is the last of the series I would be happy with this as an end full of future possibility. I somehow think it wasn't meant to be because (spoiler alert) there's still the matter of the embezzled money, if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, this one starts out relatively straightforward and the ultimate web of intrigue is easier to follow. I like this series and I like Pearson's writing style. Narrator was consistent throughout the series which also added to my enjoyment.
KevinS
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good story all around. Complex characters driving a complex story in a realistic fashion, good dialog, good descriptive prose, action and exotic intrigue and love and skulduggery. What more do you want? I got this one inexpensively and when I finished it I immediately bought the first book in the series at a much higher price.
Megan Marvin
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I needed a last-minute beach read and found this book in the back corner of a CVS. It was the only book besides the Megyn Kelly memoir that didn’t have a barechested man on the cover.

Desperation aside, I genuinely enjoyed the book; it was fast-paced, technologically modern, and the women were badass. It made me want to read more of his books.
Gail Barrington
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a compelling read about ivory poaching and corruption in Kenya. The main characters are very engaging and the plot keeps you catching odd moments so you can read another chapter to find out what happens next. There are more in the series and I will definitely look them up. Ridley Pearson just gets better!
ELDEE
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense
It took me a while to get interested in the plot. I am not sure if I had read previous risk agent
series but you should read them first. RP seems a different person when he writes the risks
with John and Grace.

Al
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
mystery combined with gritty, complicated backstories that addresses numerous topics, from corruption and political instability to mother-daughter dynamics and other illegal trades like prostitution. It was really interesting to empathize with the leader of a prostitution ring...
Steve
Dec 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting story with a complex plot. The story keeps moving. It was rather amazing how the key female lead kept herself alive. Worth reading.
Dhaverma
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
Interesting story, very different mystery, and great characters
Sandy Kell
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my favorite (so far) of the Risk Agent series probably because of the fascinating Kenyan setting and the author's obvious passion for the plight of the wildlife there.
David Weinfeld
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Way better than I expected. Very well written, informative and exciting. Deals with ivory poaching in Africa.
Vee
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved reading Grace's character transformation as she goes from civilized to wild animal in the Kenyan plains. Incredible. I actually learned A LOT from her.
Grace is a BADASS!
Bill
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story - but not as good and first three in series.
Drew Harmon
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Engaging. Fast Paced. Plot lines weave together well, and end in a satisfying resolution.
Phil Sageser
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
An ecological thriller with a strong female lead set in Africa. It starts a little slow but speeds up fast
Sue Pulfer
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good thriller about elephant and rhino poaching in Nigeria
Kay
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
Totally exciting.
Sheila
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
John and Chu attempt to stop poaching of elephants and rhinos for their tusks.
Jean Kovats
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story s good but Afrca leave much to avoid. This does not make me want to go there ever
Karen
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Todd Haberkorn brings to life effectively dramatizes the corruption and peril encountered by Grace Chu and John Knox in Kenya during the fourth stop on the Rutherford Risk series' international tour. Grace was using her accounting and hacking skills to track a theft from a Kenyan charity until she runs afoul of an ivory smuggling ring. When Grace vanishes, John rushes to find the woman with whom he is just realizing he shares deeper feelings. Haberkorn’s pacing and tone reflect the ratcheting te ...more
Nan Williams
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: no-more
The crux of this story seemed to be the plights and flights of our two heroes, Wonder Woman and Superman. For me, it was all too implausible to enjoy. Also, it was very difficult to keep all the players on the right team. Just when I thought I had the “good guys” over here and the “bad guys” over there, they seemed to switch sides. Of course, “who do you trust?” was one of many literary devices used in this tale.

Obviously it’s a genre many people enjoy – just not me. I need enough plausibility t
Gretchen
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
White Bone takes us to the heart of Africa and the tragedy of poverty and corruption. We meet Grace Chu and John Knox who work with different entities trying to provide medicine and help for the poor. Their skills are such that they can track down the thefts and follow the trail to an interesting conclusion.
Grace Chu survives in the African wilderness by not surviving, but by "being" as she puts it. It was a novel but I was impressed and learned from her experience.
I look forward to ore Knox/C
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dead Aim (Chris Klick Mysteries #1)
  • Southwesterly Wind
  • The Umbrella Man (Inspector Samuel Tay #2)
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
  • Lost Trail: Nine Days Alone in the Wilderness
  • Slicky Boys (Sergeants Sueño and Bascom #2)
  • Go-Between
  • Operation Sunset (Alex Hoffmann #5)
  • City of Silver: A Mystery
  • World Class Learners: Educating Creative and Entrepreneurial Students
  • Hidden Moon (Inspector O, #2)
  • Winter Hawk (Mitchell Gant, #3)
  • American Romantic
  • Plaasmoord
  • Triple Crossing (Valentine Pescatore #1)
  • Sharky's Machine
  • Hotel Bosphorus (Kati Hirschel #1)
  • Wilder Boys (Wilder Boys, #1)
Ridley Pearson is the author of more than twenty novels, including the New York Times bestseller Killer Weekend; the Lou Boldt crime series; and many books for young readers, including the award-winning children's novels Peter and the Starcatchers, Peter and the Shadow Thieves, and Peter and the Secret of Rundoon, which he cowrote with Dave Barry. Pearson lives with his wife and two daughters, div ...more

Risk Agent (4 books)
  • The Risk Agent (Risk Agent, #1)
  • Choke Point (Risk Agent, #2)
  • The Red Room (Risk Agent, #3)