Start by marking “The Apartment” as Want to Read:
The Apartment

The Apartment

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  7,076 Ratings  ·  648 Reviews
They come together by chance in the heart of New York City, four young women at turning points in their lives. Claire finds the spacious loft apartment. But the aspiring shoe designer needs at least one roommate to manage the rent. She meets Abby, a writer trying to make it on her own, far from her successful family in L.A. Then Morgan joins them. She’s ambitious, with a s ...more
Published May 3rd 2016 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about The Apartment, please sign up.
Uchechi Anaduaka We all want those things but most often the things that seem too good to be true usually are. We may all want to have all the things that Valentina…moreWe all want those things but most often the things that seem too good to be true usually are. We may all want to have all the things that Valentina represents but life is not just runways, hot bodies, flashy rides and expensive trips.
On the other hand, we all need a bit of Valentina for life to be fun somedays. Just my thoughts!(less)

Susan Becraft
Why?

I ask myself that question each time I read a Danielle Steele novel. Her books are as realistic as fairytales, and The Apartment is no exception. Having lived in Manhattan for fifteen years after college, I wonder how I could have missed an advertisement for a 3000 square foot loft with four bedrooms, signed the lease and - proof - had three of the most perfect roommates on the planet. Where did my friends and I go wrong? We four, despite all having well-paying jobs, crammed ourselves into a
Vickie Larimer
Jun 02, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Predictable

Boring
Kept waiting for something to happen.
Nothing ever did. Writing style in this book was very monotonous. Very disappointing

Redkitsune
May 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
So *SO* boring. I just couldn't stand reading more than thirty pages. Steel just repeats in every paragraph the same: busy life, no time to date, not enough luck with the career, parents with bad marriages, etc. I just think this is a book about four friends that live in an apartment. And that's the only plot.
Melody
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BEST DANIELLE STEEL BOOK IN A LONG TIME

I've read almost every book this author has written and it seems like the last 5-8 books are darker than her norm. This one is not. It is more like the early Danielle Steel and much more enjoyable. I read it in a day.

It's the story of 5 young, single women who live together in a loft in Hell's Kitchen. They come from different walks of life, are all professionals, working on perfecting their careers. One by one things begin to change in each one's life tha
Marcia
Jun 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
I need to stop reading Danielle Steel.....this book was the same thing over and over. 4 pages of saying the same thing and then 4 more pages of repeating another idea....:(
Maxieboots
Jul 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
I have one question: how did Danielle Steel become the highly acclaimed, best selling author that she is? This is one of the worst books I have ever read in my 43 years. I've never read such garbage. An eighth grader could've written a better story. Bad, bad grammar, horrible sentence structure, lame, saccharine sweet characters, etc, etc, etc. How many times does one begin a sentence with "and"? I'm pretty sure she's set the record. Hated this book. I'm the idiot who actually finished it. Never ...more
Missy Leary
May 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
Truly awful. 30 some year olds still relying on their parents for money and making bad decisions, all the while the author is writing it to make it seem okay. Repetitious throughout. A complete waste of my time.
MsJohnson
Jul 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
I selected this book because it was on a best sellers list, but after reading it I have no idea how it made that list. Setting the scene? Characterization? Building tension or suspense? Creating tone or mood? Engaging the reader? No, No, No, No, and No. This is one of the worst books I have read in several years. Almost exclusively presented in 3rd person past tense. I felt like I was passively listening to a lonely aunt tell me in detail about people I have never met. And plot? I didn't notice ...more
Olivia
Jul 08, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, library
Review of the audio book, read by Dan John Miller. 1.5 stars.

I don't expect much out of Danielle Steel these days, her books are a guilty pleasure that I typically enjoy but are not brain tingling. I don't rush to read one of her books immediately when it comes out. That said...

The Apartment is the worst Steel book I've ever read. It was like I was listening to a book where the author was just trying to make a certain word count. The first two chapters did nothing but restate the same informatio
Amy
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Want a good drinking game to play while reading this ? Take a shot every time Danielle Steel starts a sentence with 'and'. The more I read, the more it drove me crazy.
Not much happens in the book until 3/4th the way through. Maybe that's typical Danielle Steel, this is the first one I've read. But everything is perfect and the day was fabulous and every one loved every one. And If that's what you enjoy then I suppose this might be a good book. Steel also repeats a lot of the same things, as if w
Denise
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it
An enjoyable summer beach read.
Lesincele Viaja gracias a los libros
Una novela que me ha recordado un poco a Sexo en Nueva York pero sin ese toque de humor que tenía la serie (el libro de SNY lo aborrecí). Es la historia de cuatro amigas adultas que comparten vivienda y que nos enseña como puede cambiar la vida tanto a mejor o peor en un año. No hay una sola protagonista, sino que las cuatro tienen el mismo peso, pero me ha faltado mucha más profundidad en cuanto a la personalidad de los personajes.

No puedo decir que no me haya gustado porque es una historia bo
J Jahir
Y nuevamente me llevo una bonita experiencia leyendo este libro. Steel no me decepciona, hasta el momento, de sus 29 libros que llevo leídos de ella, sólo uno no ha conseguido gustarme lo suficiente, pero el resto de ellos siempre tienen algo que me cautiva, así sea una de las historias más simples del mundo. Será por la forma como narra, el lenguaje que usa, la facilidad para hacer historias... no lo sé, pero gusta mucho.
Todo empieza en ese apartamento que Claire rentó para vivir sola, y que d
Elena
Jul 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
The most poorly-written book I have ever had the displeasure of purchasing on a whim. The awful grammar, poor sentence structure and everything else made me more stupid, I'm sure of it. Had to read Tolstoy immediately afterwards to try to regain some smarts, and that was not fun.
Courtney
May 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
Fun fact: This was my first and last Danielle Steel novel.
Pau
May 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
1/5

Menudo aburrimiento de libro, no se me ocurre mejor palabra para describirlo. Por la sinopsis tiene pinta de ser una lectura fresca y divertida, pero se queda en el intento.

Lo peor de todo es que en mi opinión está escrito de forma muy mediocre. Tiene un estilo muy sencillo, demasiado simple. Frases muy vacías y con una estructura súper básica. Además, se repite constantemente. En un mismo párrafo se repite la misma idea 3 veces, todas las frases quieren decir lo mismo. Y esto no solo pasa d
Poppy fairy
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I've read quite a few books by Daniel Steel with Power Play being my top favourite.
To be honest I gave up reading The Apartment half way through. The four girls that share an apartment is fine, as a story but I think that it would have been better if each girl character had their own heading on a chapter about ones life etc. The next set back in the story for me was far too many characters. The boyfriends could have had their own chapter instead of all the scenes of characters being mixed about
Cassandra
May 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is hands down the most boring book I've ever read. Nothing mildly interesting happens until Chapter 7 (104 pages in!), but even then the book just drags on endlessly.

As someone who's actually lived in Manhattan for the past two years I can tell you this book is entirely unrealistic:

First off none of these girls (with the exception of Morgan) have jobs that would pay enough to afford a huge loft in Hell's Kitchen (even if they found it 10 years ago).

Second, none of them fight with each oth
Iliana Simeonova
Добре де майка явно се оказа права и книгите на Д.С са наистина хубави, поне тази де,но да не сте посмели да и кажете, че години наред ще ми натяква зареди това. Наистина години. Ще ме човърка и всеки пък когато ме види да чета нещо на тази авторка ще ме гледа с погледа нали ти казах.
И така „Апартаментът“ е една книга, която не беше за мен от гледна точка на възрастовото предназначение, но това не направи книгата по малко интересна и вълнуваща за мен. Вярно в началото ми вървеше бавно и не бях
Mala Ashok
Jun 03, 2016 rated it liked it
If you said an apartment is the main character in this book you would not be wrong. Four young women share an apartment and the novel tells us about a period in their lives. Since this involves their boy friends, bosses, and parents too the plot gets quite complicated. All the loose ends are tied and one leaves the book at the end feeling satisfied. Not a great book but if you want some light reading go for it.
Richelle Robinson
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I haven't read Danielle Steel in a few years and it was just what I needed. I fell in love with her writing all over again. Fans of her earlier novels will love this one! It had everything she is known for and it was a perfect feel good story and everything works out in the end. Was sad to see this story end. Perfect story if you need something light to make you feel good.
Laura Rash
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read my first DS book at age 12 & I've been a fan ever since! Reading any of her books is like eating comfort food to me. This one didn't disappoint.
Tim
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Same old Daniel Steele plot line of find love, turbulence, rekindle. 4 of 10 stars
Elizabeth
Feb 21, 2017 added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF. Writing too stilted, not interesting to me.
Kavita
Sep 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: yawnfest, usa
Four women live in New York and share a flat together for many years. And then they find love. That's really about it. It's not like a brilliant plot or anything, and I wouldn't have expected one either. Still, I was hoping for good writing and some interesting twists. But when the twists came, it was just enraging.

I found the writing stilted and repetitive, and Steel could have done much better to work on her dialogue. It's a little hard to believe her essay-like writing actually sells so many
Melissa
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Typical Danielle Steel book. You can always guess what's going to happen. They're repetitive and predictable. The writing isn't great. The books take no time at all to read.

But there's always a happy ending. That's why I keep reading her books. I need a little light and fluffy sometimes to balance out everything else. I need to know I'm going to read a book and no matter what happens in the book, there's still going to be a happy ending.
Kim
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I happened to see this one at my library and checked it out. I'm glad I did!
Darlene LEE (Patti Lee)
GREAT BOOK

A typical Danielle Steel book, with love, laughter, and a bit of Magic. She always pleases..
A great summer read

DaMa
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Steel, una novela muy en su estilo, no esperaba grandes apariciones ni enredos de cama, Danielle es fiel a su prosa y así lo hace saber en esta novela. El apartamento, dentro del barrio Neyorkino de hells Kitchen.
La vida de cuatro mujeres e dentro de la clase alta de New York.
Personajes cuidados, descritos con mucho mimo, un estilo único, una historia para todos los públicos.

Claire, encerrada en un trabajo que no la aporta nada ¿será capaz de cambiar su vida?

Abby, se la coge mucho cariño en t
Paula  Phillips
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

For me, the author Danielle Steel has always been a touch and go author - She's a bit like Nora Roberts in that sense. Some of her books I can read, others are just too romancy or aimed at the older female audience. The Apartment grabbed my eye as something I might enjoy as it had four young females on the cover. I loved it as the story was based on four females in their 20's-30's and followed through the five years that they lived together in their apartment in Hell's Kitchen. Each female had a
Lake Vista Apartments 1 2 Jun 10, 2018 12:22AM
Vista Palms Apartment Rentals 1 1 Mar 25, 2018 11:44PM
Villa Vicenza 1 1 Mar 25, 2018 04:33AM
The Melrose Apartment Rentals 1 2 Mar 22, 2018 06:45AM
  • Temptation
  • A Girl's Guide to Moving On (New Beginnings, #2)
  • The Island House
  • The Friends We Keep (Mischief Bay, #2)
  • All Summer Long
  • Long, Tall Christmas (A Cowboy Christmas, #1)
  • A Family Affair
  • Flawless (New York Confidential, #1)
  • The Recipe Box
  • A Proposal for Christmas: State Secrets / The Five Days of Christmas
  • The Weekenders
  • A Song for the Asking
  • Widow's Tale
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Rock Me (Ross Siblings Book 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be