Start by marking “Like a Boss (Windswept, #2)” as Want to Read:
Like a Boss (Windswept, #2)

Like a Boss

(Windswept #2)

In this breathless and hilarious followup to Windswept, former labor organiser Padma Mehta’s worst nightmare comes true: she gets yanked out of early retirement.

After buying her favourite rum distillery and settling down, she thought she’d heard the last of her arch nemesis, Evanrute Saarien. But Saarien, fresh out of prison for his misdeeds in Windswept, has just fabricat
ebook
Published June 2nd 2016 by Angry Robot

To ask other readers questions about Like a Boss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Like a Boss

Start your review of Like a Boss (Windswept, #2)
imyril
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copies
This book made me cry on the way to work. And it's really hard to explain to a bunch of strangers that no, really, you're fine, you're just SO HAPPY to see idealism and hope not only given space on page, but fucking championed. But luckily I live in London, so nobody was making eye contact / seeing me and I didn't have to try.

When you're not looking, Adam Rakunas takes on privilege, socialism, corruption and the politics of anger as Padma Mehta tries to find out just why the hell everyone on Sa
Emily
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Turned out to be an excellent election-survival book.
Adam
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I only regret that I didn't fill the entire book with memes.
Koeur
Apr 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Publisher: Angry Robot

Publishing Date: June 2016

ISBN: 9780857664822

Genre: SciFi

Rating: 2.8/5

Publishers Description: In this breathless and hilarious followup to Philip K Dick Award-nominated Windswept, former labor organiser Padma’s worst nightmare comes true: she gets yanked out of early retirement. After buying her favourite rum distillery and settling down, she thought she’d heard the last of her arch nemesis, Evanrute Saarien. But Saarien, fresh out of prison for his misdeeds in Windswept, h
Chris
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
*copy from Netgalley in exchange for a review*

Like A Boss is the sequel to Adam Rakunas’ debut novel, Windswept, which I talked about rather positively last year.

We’re back with the inestimable Padma, now splitting her time between running the Old Windswept Distillery and cleaning out the city sewage system, trying to pay off some rather extensive property damage from the previous book. This is a somewhat wiser Padma though; she’s still just as angry, a pot perpetually on the boil, but there’s a
RG
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Political space setting unions/strikes with a rum distillery operation (alot of different things going on). I didnt read the 1st but this still made sense. Id expect reading the 1st would make this even more fun.
Sheila
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
At the very end of this book, Adam Rakunas includes a little blurb about the process of writing this book, & he notes that writing Like a Boss was the fastest turnaround time he'd ever done. It kinda shows.

Don't get me wrong, this was packed full of great Padma moments, stumbling from one bad situation to the next in her own way, but I can't help but feel like he bit off more than he could chew with the scope of this plot. By the end, there were still many unresolved issues and the central nefar
Dan Moren
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You like action, right? Of course. Ornery but lovable protagonists? Naturally. Labor disputes? Yeawhaaaaaaa?

Look, the book is titled Like A Boss. You should know what you're getting into. Following the events of Windswept, it really seems everything's going okay for Padma Mehta. You think that's gonna last? Pretty soon she's running for her life, trying to quell a planetwide strike, and make it home in time for her evening finger of rum.

I'll admit that Adam's book is funny and fast-paced, but
Amy Alcain
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 solid follow up to windswept. i appreciate the strong characters. the plot is believable and well paced.
Daniel
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
This review orignally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 3.5 of 5

I wasn't entirely thrilled with the first book in this series (see review here), finding it to be tremendously average. But when most of a book is centered around union rabble-rousing, it's challenging to develop an interesting sci-fi story. But it wasn't worth abandoning entirely and so I went in to this, the second book in the series, trying to keep an open mind.

I liked this book much more.

Padma Mehta was once a union la
Crittermom
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Like a Boss surpasses Adam Rakunas's first novel Windswept - a surprising feat to accomplish when you consider just how good a novel Windswept is. The series has everything that makes for a scifi classic - a richly imagined world, a plot that is thrilling and thought provoking while successfully commenting on current issues, a diverse well developed cast of characters, and that touch of magic that comes from an author gifted with eloquence and imagination.

The universe in which Like a Boss is set
The Captain
Apr 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandon-ship
It's time to abandon ship me mateys! And oh I be highly disappointed. I just re-read the first book of the series, windswept and gave it me second reflections. While I still loved that novel, I should have skipped this one completely. I made it to page 51 of 375. Two things made me grumpy: 1) the mention of Jackson Pollack (pg. 41) and 2) the bad guy (pg. 50).

Now I have no real hatred of Jackson Pollack, but the mention of him was just so incongruous that I was taken aback and thrown out of the
Doctor Science
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just finished re-reading this. Written in 2015, it's not quite the revolution we need to read about most: Padma is too central, the mass of the people a little too passive. Other people don't talk to each other enough, she does too much because She's the Only One.

But at least she starts from a position of little privilege: she's not the child of anyone in particular, her family isn't wealthy or aristocratic or chosen or Special. I am SO SICK of SFF heroes who are essentially aristocrats, born to
Liz
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Even better than Windswept!

In Windswept, Padma started out somewhat self involved. She initially focused most, if not all of her attention on signing her last few Breaches so she could retire and buy the Windswept distillery. She eventually realized how much she had been ignoring people - her people. In Like a Boss, she starts out owning her distillery but also working one of the worst jobs available to make up for some of what she feels is her fault from the first book. She was an enjoyable ch
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
I loved the twists and turns in Windswept, Book One in the series. Once again Padma Mehta is in trouble. It all starts with the rum distillery and moves on from there. Like a Boss has some additional back story and world building along with a almost new cast of characters. There is a lot of trouble in the wind and Padma is the only one who can find the cause and a solution. Great follow up to Windswept. There is the same tension, plot surprise and humor that is a hallmark of the series. Can’t wa ...more
John Balog
This was an excellent book. I also read the first book in this series: Windswept. I plan to re-read both which is high praise for any sci-fi novels. These were not space opera combat novels. However, the insights to complex needs for planetary industry were provocative and very persuasive in content and structure as well as how the events were played out. I highly praise this author and his works. For your benefit I recommend reading them in sequence, but you will find this is not needed which i ...more
Domnitzira
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic story. Not an actual follow up to Windswept, but rather a completely separate tale with some of your favorites from the past. Excellent pacing and plot. Great character development with much deeper psychological examination. A fast read with smooth transitions. Very much an A+ book in the Windswept Universe.
Burgoo
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf, read-in-2016
I had no idea that this book would address so many issues that seem so important in 2016. Because it's all about regular folks working together and not letting the elites divide them. Ain't no time to hate, people! I'm sticking with the Union!

Tina
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
A wonderful commentary about our modern world and current events, told in a creatively fictional story set on another world in another time. Union workers, non-union laborers, government conspiracies, financial mismanagement, racial disparity, back-stabbing, miscommunication, inequality ... this sequel to Windswept is even better than its predecessor, and I liked that one a lot!
Jacob
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read my full review and others at Eyes and Books!
www.twitter.com/eyesandbooks

Great sequel to Windswept! No drop off in quality.
Eurico Cabral
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. I love the fast paced, witty writing, and I wish we could count on padhma for decades. Looking forward to the next and final installment.
Kevin
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love when Sci-Fi reflects the struggles and difficulties of everyday life. This is that kind of Sci-Fi. I give this book my highest recommendation.
S.J. Higbee
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I got the sense from reading this one that it was the success of the first book that inspired this one, rather than the story arc. Or perhaps it was the added pressure of that success – but whatever the reason, this book lacked the impact and sheer energy of Windswept. However, given I absolutely loved the first book, I was perfectly happy to read something along the same lines, even if it was a paler, saner version. Padma is now involved in trying to sort out the economy after those arranged ag ...more
Jared Millet
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
In the sequel to Windswept , former labor organizer Padma Mehta is now the happy owner of a rum distillery and the unhappy scrubber of Santee Anchorage's septic system, working forever to pay off the debt from the damage she caused in the first book in this series. (Never mind that she saved the planet and possibly human civilization; people gotta get paid.) Things seem to be going well until she learns that no one is showing up to work at her refinery, and that's only the tip of the labor st ...more
Rhode
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first, and for me, more believable because the heroine’s not battling some superhuman ghost in the sky this time. It felt less adventure movie.

The heroine is maybe in her mid-40s (yay) not the YA kid you see on the cover. Which makes her smarter and tougher because experience. She’s also one of the few truly extroverted heroines I think I’ve ever read. She’s so good at talking with and listening to people, all sorts of people and pretty much continually.

I really enjoy how
Natasa
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was an ok sequel, but compared to the first book i was much disappointed. It wasn't even close as funny as the first book, also the plot kept dragging on without much happening. Still, this was an audio book, a graphic audio production actually which in of itself is always awesome and deserves a 4 🌟 rating just due to that. I love their work and will continue to lusten to their audio books productions. They even started making their own material, script and all. Highly recommend them.
Joseph Young
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting colonialism critique, from a futuristic perspective. It's a little hard to read at first, given the larger world, but it integrates the technology into the story without over explaining it. Could the policy of radical honesty and worker solidarity work in the real world? Hard to say.

I wouldn't recommend this to most people, as the social class critique / sci-fi novel fan niche is fairly small.
Frank Burns
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very, very good. The good bits from the first one were kept and there was far more use of the setting to explore labour theory and history of labour activism. I devoured this in 2 sittings. If I have a slight quibble it is that I felt the antagonist was a bit weak but seeing as the book galloped along this wasn't distracting or anything. Definite recommend.
Martin Willoughby
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cracking read. Tense and funny.
Mikel
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really, really love these books. And this one was so polished. Hats off.

• The Dragons of Heaven (Missy Masters, #1)
  • Lentävä kirvesmies
  • Valkoinen ihmissyöjä
  • The Howling Miller
  • Nätti-Jussi - Suomalaisen seikkailijan elämäkerta
  • Kylmät hermot, kuuma veri
  • The Year of the Hare
  • Löydä lautapelit
  • Vanhan merimiehen tarina
  • Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, #3)
  • The Color of Distance
  • Video Night
  • The Pandora Directive
  • Atlanta Burns (Atlanta Burns #1)
  • The Long Way Down (Daniel Faust, #1)
  • Hillary: Tail of the Dog (Hillary, #1)
  • Beyond the Door
  • The Jigsaw Man
Adam Rakunas was born, raised, and educated in Southern California. He now lives in the Pacific Northwest. These things are related.

Windswept (2 books)
  • Windswept (Windswept, #1)

News & Interviews