Start by marking “Husband Fur Hire (Bears Fur Hire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Husband Fur Hire (Bears Fur Hire, #1)

Husband Fur Hire

(Bears Fur Hire #1)

Elyse Abram is desperate. On the wrong side of a relationship with a man who has lost his mind, she’s making big changes, starting with being utterly done with love. But life on her Alaskan homestead is too hard to handle alone, so she’s got a plan. Hire a husband. No romance, no emotions, just a marriage certificate that will tie an able-bodied man to her. But when a stra ...more
Published October 24th 2015 by Wicked Willow Press

To ask other readers questions about Husband Fur Hire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Husband Fur Hire

Start your review of Husband Fur Hire (Bears Fur Hire, #1)
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
4 Alaskan Grizzly Shifter Stars

So I'm about a week or so late in reviewing this.

And before I get started, I should probably just go ahead and call myself out by saying:

This "review" is going to suck.

HARD.

I have been feeling very, VERY lazy lately.

I think I did too much "socializing" last weekend.
And now my introvert ass is in recovery mode.

For realz though.

#TRUTH

Book reviewing has also seemed to fall under the category of "things that require too much effort for Val to tackle" this week.
Hollie
~2.5 stars~

I am a huge fan of this writer, but this one just wasn’t for me. It was still an ok read, but nothing overly memorable. I did like the storyline for the most part, but certain aspects kept me from truly enjoying this read. First of all, I feel like the heroine got a really shitty deal in all this. Yes, she finds this sexy shifter who seems almost perfect but here is my deal breaker...........the hero hibernates 6 months out of the year. That just seems extreme to me. So the 6 months h
Denisa
3.5 This book for me?

You know that feeling when you're not really in the mood to read anything yet you want to read something? Well, this book is perfect for that.

It's cute and fast-paced, the characters are really nice and there are fun moments that make you laugh or at least smile. The writing style is absolutely great, but I've read this author before and I've come to expect this from her.

Plus, I found a new element, and that's really something! It's so rare to find something new in a shifte
 ~*~Princess Nhya~*~
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The absolute Best Bear Shifter story I've EVER read!

Seriously, I was about to give up on the Bear Shifter stories. Every one I've attempted to read has always been just beyond horrible, or too cheesy/fluffy for my taste. Or simply just not enough of anything to hold my attention.

This book has renewed my faith that there are authors out there talented enough to write a gripping pulse pounding, heart jumping and intriguing story. One that's sexy and romantic with an abundance of heart. And such r
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
Sweet. A story of surviving on a homestead in the Alaskan wilderness. I liked it, especially because of how sweet Ian is, but living on the frontier kind of books are not my thing.
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
UPDATE
Reread this for book club and knowing what was coming made it a little less over-the-top for me and thus slightly less enjoyable, but, still, just a wonderfully, fun example of this genre!

ORIGINAL REVIEW
This has everything I like about a good ridiculously titled book. Over-the-top heart-string-tugging hard-knock tales (double check), characters that manage to be more than just a collection of sad backstory plot points (double check), and, of course, a horrifically punny title (ALL THE CHE
Ivy Deluca
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
description
-Different setup for bear shifters (genuine hibernation by the hero isn’t something that I expected) was the distinguishing feature of this book. I really enjoyed that it went to the extreme making the hero so like an actual bear that it affected his body, his family relationships, every aspect of his life. It was unusual and stands out from my usual shifter reads.

-Felt as if it were taking place in 1816, not 2016 though, especially when it comes to communication. Then again, I’ve had a fascinat
Malinda
3-3.5 stars

**Fair warning - I let a spoiler out...mainly having to do with Ian being a bear-shifter and the unusual way that affects the MC's HEA**

This was a good story overall. I liked both Elyse and Ian and their story was enjoyable. This is the first story I've read by this author and I liked it well enough that I would consider trying more of her work in the future.

Elyse is a woman that owns a homestead in Alaska that she's trying to make a living off of. This wouldn't be so difficult if she
bella farren
3/5 stars

"Being with someone and still feeling completely alone was the worst feeling in the world."

Well, this is the second book in this series that I have read, and my biggest complaint with the book previously read was that there wasn't enough angst. I can definitely confirm that this book had enough angst for the both of them, with legitimately insane (no, that was not figure of speech. He truely took a dive off the deep end) ex-boyfriends, angsty romance and so many tears, I don't thin
Jacqueline J
Nov 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I had a hard time choosing a rating for this book. It was a shifter romance that had a slightly different take while still staying within a "normal " shifter storyline. The hero was a grizzly bear shifter and had to hibernate for six months. This was both a plus and a minus to the story. Plus because it was a logical outcome of bear shifter dynamics and I've never read this concept before so yeah! But on the other hand wow that sucks for a long term romance. As for the rest of the story, it was ...more
Jalina
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I didn't expect this much...

I like that TS has stretched in this series. When I usually read shifter romance, it's all slam, bam, I'm a bear, let's have torrid sex, thank you ma'am! But this story had grit, sub plots and extremely deep character buildout! Thanks!! Usually in books I'm always coming away with a book BF, but I totally have a girl-crush on WarriorBadass Elyse! She did a full 360 and for the right reasons, she went from a weak and broken tiny bird to raging, strong warrior princess.
Billie
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: shifters
There was nothing particularly offensive or irritating about this book but it didn't really make an impact. (And I didn't really understand the whole "6 month forced hibernation" thing, but whatever)
Shanna Matheo
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this alot. Interestingly different approach to shifters.
Jac K
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 Shifter Stars

Husband for Hire Good Alaskan man wanted. Must have strong back. Hunter preferable and bonus points for good marksmanship. Must not be prone to cabin fever and must be self-entertaining. Works well under stress for long hours. Good hygiene. Romantics need not apply.

This was a freebie I picked up somewhere, (also free w/ KU) and a pleasant surprise. The full moon always makes me crave para-romance, and I was in the mood for something unique… so, I decided to give this MOC/mail-
DemetraP
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
So the grizzly shifter has to hibernate for months at a time. I don't like the idea of a hero who has to leave the heroine alone for almost half a year. ...more
SheLove2Read
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, shifters
I have to say, this is one TS Joyce I just wasn't clicking with. 2 stars ...more
Katelynn
Apr 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Originally posted on Books & Bottles.

Oh goodness, I'm still laughing at this book. And the other reviews on Goodreads! I don't mean to sound like a bitch, but I love how many people like how much more "realistic" it is to have the bear shifter hibernate, like a regular ol' bear, and it's so funny to me! I'm sorry I'm sorry, I'm an ass, but this book is just gruff and fluff and fucking hilarious to read serious reviews about this.

Don't get me wrong, it's pretty well written! Ian's a big, strong,
ValerieC
A very good start to this new series.

The book begins at a rural Alaskan homestead where Elyse Abram has kicked out her crazy, thieving, drunken, woman-hitting mooch of a boyfriend...

Bear-shifter Ian Silver awakens from his winter hibernation to find a folder with details about a wolf-shifter that's gone insane and must be put down...

When Elyse and Ian meet, quite a story ensues.

The only reason I didn't rate this book at 5 stars was I would have liked to see some expansion of the aftermath of the
Just Josie
This was so sweet and lovely !

Elyse was so kindhearted and sweet, but strong underneath. Nice combo👏

Ian was big, quiet, but you felt how deeply he cared.

A very good book. Flowy writing, interesting, but a slightly mundane plot and lots of personal development for both characters.
I really like it.

Read: 07-12/2018
Genre: Paranormal/ shifter/ bear
Cover: 2 stars
1st rating: 3,5 stars. A nice solid read, but not “epic “. It was sweet. (But very close to 4 stars- that’s way I rounded up!)
Will I rec
Erin
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

I really enjoyed this start to Joyce's new series! You really can't go wrong with T.S. Joyce if you want some short, but great, paranormal. This one was located in rural Alaska, a setting that was a little rougher, more base living, compared to her other novels (I haven't read all of them). The environment made the story even more interesting and added another element to the couple's relationship.

Great read!
Victoria
3.5 Stars
Debbie
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve been in the mood for paranormal romances lately and came across this book. It’s the first book I’ve read by this author, and although the title is a little quirky, I actually enjoyed the story.

Ian is a grizzly bear shifter. I haven’t read a lot of shifter books involving bears, however I don’t recall ever reading one where the bear had to hibernate - and for six long months at that. No wonder the man was so lonely. He was a badass bear enforcer who wasn’t close to anyone, not even his broth
Darcy
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: pnr, e-book, 2019, rw
I liked this one but man...all I could think was what a hard life it would be living how they did in Alaska. I'm not sure that I would want my whole live to be about squirreling away enough supplies to live through the cold winter, let alone deal with an outhouse on a daily basis. lol

Elyse was interesting, a bit of a hard ass, but she needed to be. I was glad when she kicked Colt out, it had been a long time coming and with his actions he was slowly killing her. Ian was a much better match for E
Pet
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an author that never disappoints, hard choices, heart break and tough circumstances are a wonderful background to a story that tugs at the heart strings.
I can’t put A T.S. Joyce book down once I’ve started it no matter how late or how much my eyes droop and I’m trying to read with one eye while the other one sleeps, I just must know the outcome. Honestly I can’t recommend these books enough.
Jenny Prose
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

This was a cute Bear Shifter book. We have a strong woman who is trying to make it in the Alaska bush and not fairing to well. She puts an ad in the paper for a homestead husband but isn't looking for romance. Ian is a bear shifter, who hibernates for 6 months out of the year, but one look at a picture of this feisty women and he's done for.
Like I said, it was a cute story, well-developed character, with an interesting storyline that keeps you reading and engaged. Some editing issues, but
Maddux
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This series is very different from Damon's Mountains. The canon follows a different vein because these grizzly shifters have to hibernate.

Not as light-hearted as her other books, but still very familiar.

Nice read.
Rishika
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
That was surprisingly quite enjoyable. A shifter story where the bear actually does hibernate. It showed what a good relationship looks like, and how a relationship should make both people better and stronger.
Amanda
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good

Good but not what I was expecting. The 6 months hibernation threw me way off. If you have read any of her other books or later book that’s not exactly how the bear shifters are in those books. And claiming marks have a different kind reaction. I will say I absolutely loved the characters and the feel of the whole story.
BJ
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
Great story with some angst. H is grizzly shifter, triplet, and they are all brawlers. He falls for h when he sees her picture, but has a lot to hide from her. A lot of pain, mixed with courage and above all their love for each other made this a wonderful book.
Ln Winchester
Nov 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting look into Alaskan life

This story surprised me by being more complex and interesting than most others in this genre. The best parts were the descriptions of the Alaskan wilderness and what one would have to do to get through the long winters in such a remote area. The hard work and planning are very intense and survival depends on being as strong and resourceful as possible.

Those were the pros. The cons for this book were the love relationship that really didn't make any sense - the h

• Dragon Reformed (Reclaimed Dragons, #3)
  • Loved by Light (Wings, Wands and Soul Bonds, #4)
  • Grizzly Mate (MateMatch Outcasts, #1)
  • Alpha Contender Boxed Set
  • Changed Mate (Cybermates #4)
  • Charmed Mate (Cybermates #2)
  • Katie's Date with an Alpha (Date Monsters for Alphas #1)
  • Rescued by the Bear (Bear Creek Clan, #1)
  • Protector Mate (MateMatch Outcasts, #2)
  • Chased Mate (Cybermates #3)
  • Wyatt (Bears of Burden, #2)
  • Found by Frost (Wings, Wands and Soul Bonds, #1)
  • Cherished Mate (Cybermates, #1)
  • Kristin (Hope Valley BBW Online Dating App Romance, #2)
  • Adaira (Hope Valley BBW Online Dating App Romances, #6)
  • A Dragon for Christmas (Shifters for Christmas, #2)
  • Jason (Silverback Redemption #4)
  • Ryzard (Hope Valley BBW Dating App Romance, #9)
T.S. Joyce is devoted to bringing hot shifter romances to readers. Hungry alpha males are her calling card, and the wilder the men, the more she'll make them pour their hearts out. She werebear swears there'll be no swooning heroines in her books. It takes tough-as-nails women to handle the shifters of Bear Valley.

She lives in a tiny town, outside of a tiny city, and devotes her life to writing bi

Bears Fur Hire (6 books)
  • Bear Fur Hire (Bears Fur Hire, #2)
  • Mate Fur Hire (Bears Fur Hire, #3)
  • Wolf Fur Hire (Bears Fur Hire, #4)
  • Dawson Fur Hire (Bears Fur Hire, #5)
  • Chance Fur Hire (Bears Fur Hire, #6)

News & Interviews

“Being with someone and still feeling completely alone was the worst feeling in the world.” 3 likes
“A weak man was intimidated by a strong woman.” 3 likes