Start by marking “Somewhere in the Shallow Sea: A Novel of Suspense” as Want to Read:
Somewhere in the Shallow Sea: A Novel of Suspense

Somewhere in the Shallow Sea: A Novel of Suspense

To save the life of his friend, a marine biologist must deliver the scientific compound he invented to kidnappers hiding deep within the jungles of the Philippines. Unexpectedly paired with his ex-lover for the mission, it's a bit more than he signed up for.
Published October 23rd 2015 by October Leaf Press

To ask other readers questions about Somewhere in the Shallow Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somewhere in the Shallow Sea

Pooja
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, owns
Breathing tantalizing on your neck.

A great mystery read with ample amount of gunshots and chases. The villain does his job pretty well and that's what bad guys are for - to make the hero a hero.

The story opens up with one scientist named Danny discovering that his best friend has been abducted somewhere into the shallow waters of Philippines. The demands of the group are not just money but more than that. (How much more, well that'd be a spoiler and I do not give out spoils!)

Danny, runs into Hel
Archit Ojha

Dennis Macaraeg, you pulled off a nice one!

I will begin with saying that I enjoyed this book. I won it as a Giveaway and this one did not disappoint me. Engaging and making your fingers snap page-after-page.

A scientist is kidnapped somewhere along the seas and thus the name.

The quest is well written and involves the romance of two forlorn-reuniting lovers :)

I love these kinds of stories with happy endings. So no problem with :

A. The Plot

B. Characters

C. Events

For a debut novel, this pretty muc
Danielle N
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Somewhere in the Shallow Sea promises mystery, action and suspense with its short, but definitive synopsis. Within it’s 228 pages we are delivered a kidnapping, a potentially deadly rescue mission, science, and possible love. That is a pretty big commitment that is sure to target a large audience.

Full review here.
Mia Maniwang (book.duchess)
Somewhere in A Shallow Sea is about Danny, a oceanographer trying to rescue his best friend Blake (who's also a oceanographer) together with Blake's cousin, Helen (who's also happened to be Danny's ex) from a group of bandits called Kulog ng Timog. The story happens in a two weeks time, exploring the sea, city and jungle of the Philippines (which is really nice).

What I like best in this story is how the author tries to introduce the culture of the Filipinos bit by bit as the story unravels. The
Barbara ★
If you haven't read Somewhere in San Diego - which is apparently the first book in this series - you really should before reading Somewhere in the Shallow Sea: A Novel of Suspense. This book is not tagged as a series book but a knowledge of what happened before this book would be beneficial to the reader. However since I had no idea this was indeed the second in the series, things that should have been discussed weren't, leaving the story lacking IMHO.

I felt that the author is telling how thing
Bree (jasperandspice)
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bree (jasperandspice) by: Dennis Macaraeg
Shelves: reviewed-books
Before I start the review I want you all to know that I in no way hate this book, as the whole storyline was very compelling; I just believe that it was not executed in a way that was made to captivate an audience. My review is full of constructive criticism and things that this book was lacking or hadn't perfected.

Review

This review may focus majorly on the negative elements of the novel, as I found many flaws in the writing. Though the storyline is what drew me to actually accepting the novel
Amanda
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For such a short novel, Somewhere In The Shallow Sea packed a big punch.

In the opening to this story, the main character Danny is working on perfecting his scientific compound when he finds out his best friend and work partner Blake has been taken off his ship and is now missing in the Philippines.

Does this kidnapping have to do with money? Or does it have to do with the cube they have been working on? Or maybe it was just a random hostage situation? Danny’s mind is all over the place when he s
Hollie
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was sent Somewhere in the Shallow Sea by the author, Dennis Macaraeg, in exchange for an honest review. This book was relatively short, only 213 pages, but Macaraeg managed to pack a lot of action into it. This is a suspenseful thriller about a couple that must race to save their friend that has been kidnapped and taken to the jungles of the Philippines.

One of the things that I enjoyed the most about this novel was the setting. I’ve never been to the Philippines, but Macaraeg described the Phi
Adam Lottes
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast-paced adventure that takes place overseas with a side of romance included.

Blake, a scientist, has been kidnapped. His best friend Danny holds the key to his release from a group of mercenaries hidden in the jungles of the Philippines. They demand money and a compound the two have been working on to secure his release. As the time comes to depart and exchange money for the hostage Danny is thrown a curve-ball as his old flame, Helen, has been sent with the money and handle the exchange.

T
Sweetpea
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhere In The Shallow Sea was interesting for the customs and history of the Philippines but the plot points are too similar to Somewhere In San Diego. Kidnapping victim? Check. Danny running for his life? Check. Ex-lover in tow? Check. I would have enjoyed it more if the two books hadn't had such similar plots. I realize that this book was written first but I just happened to listen to them in reverse order. By itself, this was an enjoyable listen but I find the series somewhat repetitious. ...more
Stephanie
This book straddles a few genres, and I particularly like that about it. It is, of course, a suspenseful type of thriller, but it also has a lot of action and touches on science and even some mystery. The story moves along at a really good pace, so there were no parts where I felt bored. The narration was a little stiff in spots, but it didn't take away from the book too much. I am looking forward to more from this author.

I received a free copy of this audiobook at my request and have voluntaril
Brittany
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm big into suspense and Somewhere in the Shallow Sea definitely delivers! The way Dennis mixes in adventure with knowledge of the Philippines is really great. I felt like I was learning about the Philippine culture along with chasing the characters between islands. It is a story that will keep your pages turning with love, mystery, and suspense.
Judith
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Somewhere in the Shallow Sea is a crime action/thriller novel set in the Philippines, in which we meet Blake, Helen and Danny. Blake is kidnapped and held as ransom, and so Danny and Helen are forced to put aside their differences (perhaps rekindling an old flame in the process) and work furiously to save their kidnapped friend against gangs, guns and Dr Klein, the man who is after the scientific compound they brought as ransom.

Some of Macaraeg’s personal experiences of the Philippines are refle
Ray Palen
In today's publishing field it is easier than ever to get your book out there because there are so many platforms to utilize --- eBooks, traditional hard and soft-cover, blogs, etc. That being said, when an independent author self-publishes it is an uphill battle to get their creation into the hands (or Kindles) of potential readers.

I have just read an example of a self-published novel, SOMEWHERE IN THE SHALLOW SEA by first-time author Dennis Macaraeg. Yes, the novel does bear the imprints of a
Vrushali Pathak
PLOT

The whole plot of this book can be summarized in two paragraphs which are given in the book cover blurb. They are so apt for this book and there is nothing extra or that’s not relevant. This is a short, crisp and adventure-filled book.

Two lovers who were separated a few years ago unite again to save a person who is kidnapped by a Philippines local don in exchange for a compound that’s supposed to save the species of fish from extinction.

CHARACTERS

There are mainly three characters: the two lo
K.T. Munson
May 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Characters

Danny is a decent character. Flawed, trying to do the right thing, and utterly believable. Helen was strong and never a damsel in distress. They were great characters together and I really enjoyed their interactions. I hadn't expected there to be romance in the book and I wasn't sure if it added to or detracted from the book. I won't lie, at times I felt the romance was filler but I enjoyed it. That being said, the biggest issue wasn't with the characters, even though the 'bad guy' was
Nica
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Author sent me a free copy in exchange of an honest review.*

When I opened the book, I was surprise to see that it has a map! And it's a map of the Philippines showing the destinations of the characters in the story.I thought it was really nice to have this map in the book so that readers can have a better understanding of the story and how the characters went all over the country.

At first, I don't know what to feel about the story. I'm not sure if it's the writing style, the genre, how the stor
Marice
Sep 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75/5.0

This book somehow reminded me of the movie Muro Ami even if they have so many differences. But just being at sea sent flashbacks and all the feels.

I have to say that this action-suspense is not my most loved genre but I like reading them once in a while.

With the current state of our country, Philippines, this book is timely and a little bit relatable. There is always a part of me that wants to know what happens in kidnap-for-ransom situations. And this book killed that curiosity.

Danny...
Kelvin Reed
"Somewhere in the Shallow Sea" by Dennis Macaraeg is a solid novel set in the Philippines. Danny, the best friend of a kidnapped scientist and Helen, the scientist’s cousin, attempt to pay a ransom and bring him home. Their efforts are complicated by the fact that Danny and Helen were once lovers; also, they are being pursued by a nefarious villain who will stop at nothing to steal a scientific invention from Danny. The descriptions of the Philippine locations are interesting, but I did find the ...more
Andrea
Nov 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was sent to me by the author in exchange for a review.

What really made this book interesting was the description of life in the Phillippines. It felt very natural and immersive. The story was okay, and I liked the idea of the compound, since it was something I had never heard of before.
Mish
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This book is suspenseful and thrilling, and I liked it. It was fast paced and it doesn't have idle parts. I didn't expect this book to be full of action though some scenes and character behavior were unrealistic.

Full review here: https://bibliophilemish.wordpress.com...
BookLoversLife
The narrator is really bad!! Have to put this aside for a while.
Larry Lunt
Apr 05, 2016
David Baird
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
So what is the book about I hear you ask?

Well the book follows Danny a scientist, his friend Blake has been kidnapped and he has the compound the kidnappers are after. Danny, with the help of some friends and an ex-lover sets out to save Blake.

The plot was good with a few twists thrown in although I did feel events happened a little too easy at times.. just when Danny thinks all hope is gone an acquaintance of a friend can help. Nothing so bad as to ruin the plot but I would have enjoyed seeing
Maureen
Jan 31, 2018
Karen
Mar 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book introduces you to Danny and Helen, former lovers. They are trying to rescue Blake - Danny's friend and Helen's cousin.

With Somewhere in the Shallow Sea, Dennis Macaraeg has created a light thriller with a touch of romance. The story has the characters criss-crossing the Philippines, trying to pay the ransom and get Blake back unharmed. It is a quite entertaining read with thrilling moments. Dennis Macaraeg includes a bit of the Philippines' history in the plot, the reader being a comfo
Angelica
Dec 07, 2016
  • Last Words
  • Mystra: Chronicles of Mystra: Vol 1
  • Hatred. Hidden.
  • All Roads Lead to Hell (Saint Flaherty #1.5)
  • Pug with a Passport: A Kids' Travel Guide (Pug With a Passport, #1)
  • An Acquired Taste
  • Backshadow
  • Falling Suns
  • Hits & Mrs.
  • Rebellion (Rebellion, #1)
  • Tabitha Bates
  • Awakening East
  • Hard Rivers: The Untold Saga of La Salle: Expedition II
  • Makepeace (Taking Shield #3)
  • Union Street Boarding House: An Edwardian Mystery
  • The Pomegranate Tree (Hannah's Heirloom #1)
  • Thieves Never Steal in the Rain