Start by marking “This Winter” as Want to Read:
This Winter

This Winter

(Solitaire 0.5)

A short story, based on characters from Solitaire – praised as ‘The Catcher in the Rye for the digital age’ The Times
I used to think that difficult was better than boring, but I know better now…

I’m not going to think about the past few months, about Charlie and me, and all of the sad. I’m going to block it all out. Just for today.
"Happy Christmas, " I say.

The festive seaso
Published November 5th 2015

Alice Oseman
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
christmas angst and small dogs
Kai
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glbt, 2015
Another great Solitaire novella. And I still need more Nick&Charlie in my life!
I just love how sarcastic and real the characters are, so very relatable, emotional and well, not directly funny, but entertaining for sure.

Find more of my books on Instagram
Emma
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't have any excuses for why I waited all this time to read this novella. It was great, I love these characters to pieces and it was so nice to see them again. Tori is such a unique presence and I really missed her. Nick and Charlie are always the cutest and I cannot wait to explore more of their love story, and also Charlie's own personal struggles, in the Hearstopper comic. If you're a fan of Heartstopper and Solitaire you have to read this novella!
Lily ☁️
I loved everything about this book and my reading experience, and all the characters will live on in my heart for eternity and beyond.

// buddy read with my ❤

Blog | Bloglovin’ | Instagram | TumblrTwitter
Jahanzaib Asim
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THIS NOVELLA OHMYGOD
I WANT TO READ IT AGAIN

i love the 3 siblings so so so so so so much gosh i can’t even
this was my fav out of the solitaire trilogy??? lmao why am i calling it that
《Maram》
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads, e-books
☆☆☆.5
Rounded down

I liked this even more than the book and the other novella.

Things I liked:
- having the perspective of all the siblings
- these siblings are so adorable I LOVE THEM
- Charlie is so adorable, he is my fav
- I liked seeing how his cousins and family and Nick's bro talked about his mental illness because honestly, it was so real
- I actually sympathised with the mum
- these siblings they care for each other can this novella get cuter?
- it was cute, sad, happy and everything
- it was so
Romie
How can this novella make me both extremely sad and so damn happy?

I was so glad to have all my favourite siblings back together, I just want them to be okay and get tons of hugs. They deserve it.

Learning more about Charlie's mental health made me so sad, I cannot bare when bad things happen to people who clearly deserve the best the in the world. But I'm so happy he can count on Nick and Tori! Also Nick, I want to punch his brother, what a fucking asshole!

I want more of this family. I will never
↠ dan ↞
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
me reading heartstopper: no fears
me reading heartstopper after reading solitaire and the novellas: ONE FEAR
Miriam
5 stars!

So much emotions, so little pages. I absolutely loved this novella and meeting all the Solitaire-characters again.
I am very impressed by the way the author dealt with Charlie's illness. As a reader, one gets a much better impression of it in comparison to the book. Also, (view spoiler)
Brittany
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trigger Warning: Eating Disorder/Restrictive Eating and Suicide Attempt

It's the festive season but the Spring siblings are going into this season knowing it's going to be harder than most.
I found this to be a really good look into the mind of the three Spring siblings. This novella was cut into all three siblings perspectives and I really enjoyed that. I felt like I got to know Tori more as a character being inside of her head. I connected to Charlie a lot in this and felt so heartbroken for hi
Lunabookaddict
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book made me sooo happy ! I want to be in christmas now ! Snowy day and doggo love this is so for me guys ! ♡ also alice oseman always talked about important subject ♡. Give me more
Jackie
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I LOVE THESE CHARACTERS
Jess
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
God I love the Spring family. Tori is literally me and Charlie is a cinnamon roll and Oliver is just so precious. I loved Oliver's point of view aw. Anyway it was so good to be back in the solitaire world with the characters.
Anniek
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love these siblings together!!
leonie
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, 2019
i really like tori and charlie’s relationship and how tori treats his anorexia and his mental health in general. i just wish she would care for her own stability as much
Hizatul Akmah
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
aaaaaaaaaaa i almost love this as much as i love nick & charlie :'))
Betty
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, short-stories, 2018
This was very sweet, I love Charlie, Tori and Nick, and Oliver's chapter was adorable!
Gillian
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novellas

🌸 This Winter: ★★★★☆
🌸 Solitaire: ★★★☆☆
🌸 Nick and Charlie: ★★★★★

I wish I'd read this before Solitaire. Istg, I've been reading this series backwards. 😂
Aleksandra
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is such a wonderfully crafted novella. I'm weak for extra content about my favorite characters and This Winter isn't exception. It gave me much need Tori-Charlie-Oli siblings time. Their relationship is my favorite part in Solitaire novel. Also we have here Nick, which is always lovely, and the siblings' Mum has actually become a real human being with feeling and not MS-Excel loving person. Surprise.

Such a lovely wonderful read, both melancholic and hopeful.
I'm charmed, completely charmed.
Eleonor
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This made me cry so much. It felt a bit like reading my diary (if I’d written one) of That Time. Which is weird bc i have never talked about That Time with anyone yet somehow Alice manages to write it all, as if she’d entered my brain and given my experiences to Charlie. It’s a kind of relief to see it printed though, as maybe it’ll help me to finally process That Time and move on.

So yeah, this was a really personal read for me.
Briony
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
THIS WAS SO GOOOOD. I loved how the story was told from Tori's, Charlie's, and Oliver's POVs. And it was nice to see a realistic portrayal of how un-fun and awkward Christmas Day can actually be! If only it had been longer... ;)
Alex (magicinbooks)
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Aaah I was great. I love reading about these characters. They all feel oh so real ❤ ...more
TS
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars!!!!!!

honestly there was so much wholesomeness in this book. do yourself a favour if you like the heartstopper comics or Alice Oseman's Solitaire book and read this.

this was genuinely just so cute, but at the same time so nuanced, and simultaneously serious and important but also light-hearted, and it was also so funny, and there's all the pop culture references that you would expect from Alice Oseman book (she even mentioned BBC's Merthur this time like someone pinch me) and it was tru
Connie
4/5 stars

i love the spring siblings. tori spring? snarky and amazing. charlie spring? my sweet boy i want to hug. oliver spring? an angel who deserves the world.

this also makes me worried for where heartstopper is inevitably leading as i am forced to confront what happens to charlie oh dear
a.thousand.tales
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nick and Charlie forever ❤❤❤ ...more
Colleen (Soggywarmpockets)
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I didn't like this one as much as I liked Nick and Charlie, but it was still very good. I'm so in love with these characters. I need more of them.
Léa
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just great. Now I miss my brothers and sister and I need a hug.

Cassandra {semi-hiatus}
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I will never stop declaring my love for Tori and Charlie Spring. (Or Nick Nelson for that matter.)

This short story broke my heart and mended it all on the same page. I loved it.
Rita (housefullofbooks)
Cute short story and more insight about the characters from Solitaire! Really enjoyed it. I also love little Oliver so much, I wish he appeared more on the book. Can’t wait to read Nick and Charlie’s story!!
Mia
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
i didn't like solitaire all that much, but i throughly enjoyed this novella ! i especially enjoyed reading from oliver's pov :')
« previous 1 3 next »

• The B Word: Bisexuality in Contemporary Film and Television
  • Lumberjanes: To the Max Edition, Vol. 2
  • My Summer of Love
  • One Hot Second: Stories About Desire
  • Two Thousand Pounds Per Square Inch
  • The Glowing Knight (The Orphan Queen, #0.2)
  • Prick Up Your Ears: The Biography of Joe Orton
  • The Map (Jackaby, #1.5)
  • Leave the Window Open (The Archived, #2.5)
  • Hot Dog Girl
  • Remix
  • The Boomerang Effect
  • Iron to Iron (Wolf By Wolf, #1.5)
  • Evolution (Masks #2)
  • Bad Yeti (Kate Grable, #1.5)
  • Lumberjanes: Unicorn Power! (Lumberjanes, #1)
  • Junior Hero Blues
  • Up All Night
Alice Oseman was born in 1994 in Kent, England. She completed a degree in English at Durham University in 2016 and is currently a full-time writer and illustrator. Alice can usually be found staring aimlessly at computer screens, questioning the meaninglessness of existence, or doing anything and everything to avoid getting an office job.

Alice's first book, SOLITAIRE, was published when she was ni

Solitaire (1 books)