Start by marking “This Winter” as Want to Read:
This Winter

This Winter

(Solitaire #0.5)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  6,581 ratings  ·  1,067 reviews
A short story, based on characters from Solitaire – praised as ‘The Catcher in the Rye for the digital age’ — The Times

I used to think that difficult was better than boring, but I know better now …

I’m not going to think about the past few months, about Charlie and me, and all of the sad. I’m going to block it all out. Just for today.

"Happy Christmas," I say.

The festive sea
Published November 5th 2015 by HarperCollins Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about This Winter, please sign up.
tea The very beginning of this novella has a warning that says "This book contains discussions of mental illness, including descriptions of disordered eat…moreThe very beginning of this novella has a warning that says "This book contains discussions of mental illness, including descriptions of disordered eating, references to self-harm, and ignorant views regarding mental illness. Please read safely and responsibly." The novella also has some curse words in it. You may want to have a discussion with a trusted adult about these topics and if they are suitable for you to read.(less)

·  6,581 ratings  ·  1,067 reviews

Start your review of This Winter
Kat
Nov 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fucking OW
Alice Oseman
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This Winter has been re-released as an illustrated paperback!!

This story features:
- Narration by all three Spring siblings: Tori, Charlie, and Oliver
- Many illustrations by me!
- Christmas angst
- Discussions of mental health recovery
- A little bit of family drama
- A boy who really just wants someone to play Mario Kart with him
- A tiny dog (and a slightly larger dog)

I hope you enjoy it!
Kai
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer
Another great Solitaire novella. And I still need more Nick&Charlie in my life!
I just love how sarcastic and real the characters are, so very relatable, emotional and well, not directly funny, but entertaining for sure.

Find more of my books on Instagram
daph pink ♡
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
what the hell was I even thinking When I decided to read it after solatire , I am crying , this was too much , like wtf! I should have read everything in order , I started with heartstopper then other books then solatire then novellas , now all these events are messed up ! I just want to read everything all over again!

..............

When I say I am Alice oseman fan , this is what I mean , I can read her books back to back!

PS :- I just completed Solatire last night and I miss Spring siblings alre
oliver
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
me reading heartstopper: no fears
me reading heartstopper after reading solitaire and the novellas: ONE FEAR
Lucy Tonks
Apr 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
”When people know you're mentally ill, most people either wanna ignore it completely or they treat you like you're strange, scary, or fascinating. Very few people are actually good at the middle ground.”

This was just what I needed to read at time. Even though this is just a novella as all books by Alice Oseman this book deals with some heavier topics. The author has never been the one to shy away from them and she isn't starting to now.

Trigger Warnings: mental health, eating disorder, refer
Melina Souza
"When people know you're mentally ill, most people either want to ignore it completely or they treat you like you're strange, scary or fascinating. Very few people are actually good at the middle ground.
The middle ground isn't hard. It's just being there. Being helpful, if help is needed. Being understanding, even if they don't understand everything."

Esse conto me deixou com vontade de entrar e abraçar o Charlie, a Tori, o Oliver, o Nick e o Henry (o pug).
Christy

I think I would have liked this more if I listened to it after reading 'Solitaire', but still enjoyable and I loved getting more Charlie and Nick! A nice, quick, holiday listen!

Audio book source: Audible (purchased)
Story Rating: 3.5 stars
Narrators: Holly Gibbs, Sarah Ovens, Hew Parmenter
Narration Rating: 4 stars
Genre: Contemporary YA
Length: 1 hour and 2 minutes

C.G. Drews
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novella, read-2020
Despite not having read Solitaire yet (though all of Oseman's other books!!) I really loved this 😩 It truly reminded me of why I loathe christmas so that was lovely. And I am just very attached to Charlie, so knowing more about his mental illnesses added to what I've read in the Heartstopper comments. My heart breaks a little. This novella is super small, but it did make me quite emotional. I'm glad Charlie had Tori to guard his privacy and feelings so fiercely. Everyone needs a Tori. ...more
Romie
why yes i'm fucking crying (4.5) ...more
Mariah
Any of my librarian friends wanna do a girl a solid and fix the page amount for this title lol
It says it has 144 pages but it actually has 43
《Maram》
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
I liked this even more than the book and the other novella.

Things I liked:
- having the perspective of all the siblings
- these siblings are so adorable I LOVE THEM
- Charlie is so adorable, he is my fav
- I liked seeing how his cousins and family and Nick's bro talked about his mental illness because honestly, it was so real
- I actually sympathised with the mum
- these siblings they care for each other can this novella get cuter?
- it was cute, sad, happy and everything
- it was so short yet I liked
Emma
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't have any excuses for why I waited all this time to read this novella. It was great, I love these characters to pieces and it was so nice to see them again. Tori is such a unique presence and I really missed her. Nick and Charlie are always the cutest and I cannot wait to explore more of their love story, and also Charlie's own personal struggles, in the Hearstopper comic. If you're a fan of Heartstopper and Solitaire you have to read this novella! ...more
Zitong Ren
This was just a really nice read, that did touch on important issues despite how short it was. There's not a lot of real substance, it is extremely short, but it does give us more about these characters from Solitaire and Heartstopper. It's a pretty gentle story that works as a fairly wholesome read that most people can get through in one sitting. I also really loved the illustrations in this, they were stunning. 7.5/10 ...more
Anniek
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love these siblings together!!
Kate (GirlReading)
“It’s been the worst Christmas we’ve ever had, but here we are, still. Still here.”

TW: anorexia, eating disorder, ableism, references to self harm, ignorant views regarding mental illness.

This was somehow both incredibly painful to read, yet filled with warmth. Definitely not the light Christmas story I was expecting but it might have been exactly the one I needed. I didn't think it possible to love Nick and Charlie any more and yet that's exactly what's happened. Nick's relationship with Charli
lily ☁️
I loved everything about this book and my reading experience, and all the characters will live on in my heart for eternity and beyond.

// buddy read with my ❤️

Blog | Bloglovin’ | Instagram | TumblrTwitter
paula.
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i just love this family so much, i want to hug them and protect them, and this made me cry (50% because of henry the pug, 30% because of charlie and nick, and 20% because of tori, i genuinely love that girl)

trigger warnings for mentions of eating disorders and mental illness
CarolynMarieReads
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Hello my name is Carolyn, and my heart belongs to these characters!

I love the fact that Alice Oseman can take such challenging subjects such as: mental illness and eating disorders, and write about them with grace and care!
My favorite time of year is CHRISTMAS, so reading about characters that hold such a special place in my heart, set during Christmas is a Christmas miracle in itself!
I would say this book was "short and sweet," but I think "succinct and emotive" speak more truly!

Incredibly
kelly
Dec 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so much love
Beth
Trigger Warnings for Eating Disorders

I don’t know how Alice Oseman does it, she really does write my favourite kind of Contemporary, forever hitting me in the feels.

It doesn’t beat around the bush with Mental Health, it’s raw and it’s really (I can’t speak on behalf of ED but in terms of other things I can only describe my own Mental Health) compelling time read because it makes me as a reader feel both seen and heard.

Oh also there’s a cute pug called Henry in this as an added bonus.

Forever know
magali she|her
Jul 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
check the CW on Alice Oseman's webiste first !! : eating disorder; depression; references to past self-harm, including a major self-harm relapse; references to time spent at a psychiatric ward; ignorant views regarding mental illness

- 3 povs: Trori, Charlie and Oliver
- Nick has two dogs now ♥
- barely started the book and nearly cried 3 times, my heart broke for Charlie
- this is very heavy depite it being a novella, so please read safely and defenitely check the CW !! also quite educational an
Nina
Dec 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
Really enjoyed this one!

instagram || my blog || twitter
Trio
Love, love, love Alice Oseman. How she brings so much story in so few words always blows me away. Even if you don't know these characters, there's still so much to get from This Winter. Filled with wonderful emotional family drama, and a peek into Charlie and Tori's Christmas holiday. This one's a delight.

Audio performed by Huw Parmenter, Holly Gibbs, and Sarah Ovens.
Jahanzaib Asim
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THIS NOVELLA OHMYGOD
I WANT TO READ IT AGAIN

i love the 3 siblings so so so so so so much gosh i can’t even
this was my fav out of the solitaire trilogy??? lmao why am i calling it that
Panna Fox
Okay, sooooo.
It was lovely, as always, I mean... it is Alice Oseman. But can I justify so little pages being made in a book? There is literally a bunch (I can't tell you exactly cause they are not numbered) and half of them are drawings.
Nice addition for fans.
Filipa
Ideal read for the Christmas holiday.

The story is really simple, yet the sentiment behind the narrative is very intense, raw and emotional. I related a lot to Tori in so many little things, and her way of caring for her siblings is the most beautiful thing.

And oh, how I missed Nick and Charlie <3
Acordul Fin
This didn't make me dislike Solitaire any less. ...more
Brittany
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trigger Warning: Eating Disorder/Restrictive Eating and Suicide Attempt

It's the festive season but the Spring siblings are going into this season knowing it's going to be harder than most.
I found this to be a really good look into the mind of the three Spring siblings. This novella was cut into all three siblings perspectives and I really enjoyed that. I felt like I got to know Tori more as a character being inside of her head. I connected to Charlie a lot in this and felt so heartbroken for hi
elise (the petite punk)
Reread on June 27th, 2021
Super short but enjoyable. I listened to the audiobook the first time and read the physical copy for my reread, and I actually think I enjoyed the audiobook more!

•••

Originally read January 20th, 2021
wasn’t the biggest far of the other Solitaire novella but this one was super sweet. I liked the discussions of mental health and thought the conversations Charlie had with Tori and Nick were nice.

TW: character with an eating disorder

• I'll Be Home For Christmas (I Wish You All the Best #1.5)
  • Hani and Ishu's Guide to Fake Dating
  • The Sad Ghost Club
  • Fence, Vol. 4: Rivals
  • Felix Ever After
  • One Last Stop
  • Here the Whole Time
  • Becoming the Dark Prince (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #3.5)
  • Us, Again
  • Fence, Vol. 1
  • Love, Creekwood (Simonverse, #3.5)
  • ギヴン 5 [Given 5]
  • Bloom
  • The Black Flamingo
  • Cinderella Boy
  • Fence, Vol. 2
  • ギヴン 3 [Given 3]
See top shelves…
Alice Oseman is an author/illustrator and was born in 1994 in Kent, England. She has written four YA contemporary novels about teenage disasters: SOLITAIRE, RADIO SILENCE, I WAS BORN FOR THIS, and LOVELESS. She is also the creator of LGBTQ+ YA romance webcomic HEARTSTOPPER, which is now published in physical form by Hachette Children's Books.

Alice’s first novel SOLITAIRE was published when she was

Solitaire (1 books)