Start by marking “Fade Away (Myron Bolitar, #3)” as Want to Read:
Fade Away (Myron Bolitar, #3)

Fade Away

(Myron Bolitar #3)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  20,724 ratings  ·  923 reviews
Spektakularny sukces powiesci 'Nie mow nikomu' uczynil z Cobena megagwiazde wspolczesnego thrillera. Precyzyjnie skonstruowana intryga, mistrzowsko stopniowane napiecie, falszywe tropy prowadzace donikad, pozornie niemozliwe do wyjasnienia zagadki pojawiajace sie niemal na kazdej stronie, zaskakujace zakonczenie, ktorego nie domysli sie nawet najbardziej przenikliwy czytel ...more
Published December 11th 1996 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about Fade Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fade Away

really liked it 4.00  ·

Matthew
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, humor, mystery, series
Oh, Coben, you have done it again. With 20 pages left I was wondering if I was going to give this book more than 3 stars, or if it was going to end up being mediocre. The story is far fetched and highly unbelievable, but I am willing to suspend belief for a few hundred pages of Myron and Win antics.

Then, as the story was winding down - WHAM! BANG! WHAT THE!? and, without giving anything away, this book earned its 4 star rating in the last 20 pages.

You gotta read this series in order. You will
Julie
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fade Away by Harlan Coben is a 1996 publication

I’m working my way through the Bolitar series in preparation for the new release due out in a few weeks. I know I have read a few of these prior to joining GR, but I have forgotten large portions of the older titles, and I couldn’t remember if I had read this one or not.

As I started reading, bits and pieces began to come back to me, so apparently I have read it, but with a copyright date of 1996, it’s no wonder I didn’t remember all the minute deta
Suzanne
I very much have missed Myron Bolitar, but feel I must have waited too long in between books (and I did skip this one and read number 4 first, I was not happy about this). I wasn't as excited about this book as I would have hoped, Win and Myron did have the same humour and bantering as always, but I was missing something. An easy read as always, and an added bonus to read about Myron's knee injury which crushed his career. Understanding the source of this left for a great segway into the next ti ...more
Phrynne
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another excellent book in this series. I am now a fully subscribed Harlan Coben fan and I will continue to read about Myron until he stops writing them. I enjoyed getting to know the characters better, I was totally engrossed in the story and I laughed out loud at some off the funny comments. There are a couple of lines right at the end about what Win does next which were great. Karma at its best. Loved it.
☮Karen
Oct 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Maybe 2.5. Not the best in this series. The plot was not bad, but the lame dialog was at times off-putting. I think I like Coben's newer stand alones so much that I expect the same quality in these older books. You can't ignore that fact--these books are old, 90's humor, and were probably hysterical back in the day. Now, not so much.
Bonnie
Mar 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is just one of the books featuring main character Myron Bolitar. Being released soon: Long Lost, the most recent addition to Coben's list of Myron books. The others are: Promise Me, Drop Shot, Gone for Good, One False Move...

Going to the beach? Want to escape into an entertaining, well-written story? Choose any book by Harlan Coben, but those Myron Bolitar stories became contagious for me for quite a while -- and a while ago.

That's why I have added Long Lost to my to-read shelf. I'll
Mahoghani 23
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Corey
Catchy name to a book. The storyline crisscrosses but makes sense throughout the book. The characters, some good, some bad are entertaining as well as devious. How does an aging sports agent get the opportunity to relieve his glory days? All in the book.

Myron is hired to play on a professional basketball team to secretly locate one of the teams’ most valued players. He accosted by the police, news reporters, homeless people, mobsters and teammates but he’s still determined to find out what reall
Corey
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
The Myron Bolitar series just keeps getting better and better by each book! And Myron and Win's characters just seem to get funnier!

In Fade Away, Myron is called on by a Basketball coach to track down Greg Downing, a professional Basketball player and former rival of Myron, who is the #1 suspect in a woman's murder. But as Myron get more and more involved, the plot thickens and parts of his past come back to haunt him.

Towards the end of the book when I thought it was going in a certain direction
Joyce Lagow
Apr 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Myron Bolitar's professional basketball careeer ended before it ever really began with a severe knee injury sustained during a pre-season game. He is therefore astonished when the owner of the New Jersey Dragons, a team headed for the playoffs, offers him a job as a player. But it turns out that this is to be a cover for the real job--finding the whereabouts of one of the team's star players, Greg Downing, who has disappeared on the eve of the playoffs. Myron and Greg have a history as rivals go ...more
Amanda McGill
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Do you ever read a series, or even an author's novels, super slowly because you want to savour every novel and enjoy this adventure that they bring you on? This is how I feel about the Myron Bolitar series. I just can't get enough of it, but I want to enjoy this novels as long as I can.

Myron is back in his old world of basketball. A famous all star basketball player, who also was Myron's rival back in the day, is missing and the owner has hired Myron to find him. Myron needs to work uncover by
Gary
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Hmm. I am enjoying some of it. Two serious problems in the writing is that sometimes characters get out of character, and things happen that aren’t strong enough to justify themselves.
Tony
Feb 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Harlan Coben- Fade Away (Dell Publishing 1998) 4.75 Stars

The life of a famous basketball star should be wonderful, lots of money and a big home, but when Greg Downing disappears blood is discovered in his basement and it appears that his life may not have been so perfect after all. Myron Bolitar is a sports agent and former college ball player who competed against his rival Greg Downing and suspicions are out that Downing set up Myron’s career-ending injury, yet he has just been hired to locate
Eddie Owens
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Same old, same old.
Shorty
Fade Away is so far one of the best novels in this series, that I've read. Not only is Coben really hitting his stride with the characters in this novel, but the twisty-turny plot line kept me enthralled throughout. I listened to this entire audiobook in two sittings, late at night when almost the entire house was asleep, and I had no distractions. Boltar's character is so fleshed out, he seems more real than ever to me, and I adore his sarcastic asides and Bon mot's especially. (And the other c ...more
 Olivermagnus
Fade Away is the third book in the Myron Bolitar series. Myron is a sports agent and former FBI agent, but ten years ago was a a top NBA draft choice until an serious injury sidelined him in his first preseason game. Myron's former rival, Greg Downing, is now a superstar for the New Jersey Dragons. He's also missing and the owner of the team wants Myron to find him. To do that he gives Myron a place as a substitute on the team. When the trail leads to the bludgeoned corpse of a woman last seen w ...more
Harry
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Beginning to exhaust my hunt for the loner, the hunter as a singular and main hero...a new trend seems to be emerging, the disassociation of the hunter and conscientious hero into two separate characters: the main character and his loner side-kick. Several authors embrace this genre motif: Robert Crais's Elvis Cole and his side-kick Joe Pike and of course Harlan Coben's Mylor Bolitar and his elitist side-kick Win.

Of this genre, Coben is probably the most adept at creating complex and winning cha
Lacy
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book kept me guessing at every turn. I was totally surprised with the "who done it"! I love the two main characters in this series. They crack me up with their sarcasm and one liners. The book flowed even through the twists and turns. Once you think it is done, you find out that there is more.
Kathie
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars
Another excellent Myron Bolitar murder mystery. I don’t want to post a spoiler, so I’ll simply say the big reveal was something I had suspected for awhile as I read other books in this series and was sad to see that I was right. Love me some Myron - he just makes my heart full. He’s witty, self-deprecating, and loyal but imperfect. Is it weird that I wish he was my friend in real life?
Jan
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fade Away was quite enjoyable, multi-layered and fun. The ending was delightful as it involved Win, my own personal favorite.
Mike
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Myron is asked to investigate an old sports rival by playing bball again.
Krissy
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I still love Myron and Win! So far this series has been great fun :)
Dorothy
I have to admit this series is actually growing on me. After reading the second book in the series, I was ready to swear off it forever, but a year and a half later I finally read number four (out of sequence) and liked it. So, I decided to go back and pick up number three, Fade Away and once again I found the book was not awful. In fact, I quite enjoyed it as a diverting read.

This time, the sport is basketball, which was Myron Bolitar's game before his knee was injured in a terrible smash-up wi
Kellie
This series is good. I like the sports angle and the characters are great. Myron is a retired basketball turned sports agent. But he dabbled in some investigating work with his pal Win . Win is like Hawk is to Spenser. It’s almost too familiar. And the humor and banter between Win and Myron is like reading a modern day Spenser mystery.
This particular book puts Myron in the middle of everything but you don’t really know that till the very end. And when you get to the end, a piece of Myron’s past
Rolyn
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As of the moment, I am still reading this book. But I just feel like quoting Calvin.

"Dreams never die. Sometimes you think they're dead, but they're just hibernating like some big old bear. And if the dream has been hibernating for a long time, that bear is going to wake up grumpy and hungry."

Still reading the book since I need to stop reading it once in a while because of work. But the book is really entertaining. I really like Win. Everything with him seems simple. I don't know but I feel that
Jeanette
Missed this one, way back there.

Bolitar is good in any age. Coben can write.

It was absolutely beyond refreshing to read a novel that had nuance, entertained, and did NOT hold a bunch of whining snowflakes.

Anywhere.
Jack Heath
Synopsis: the home is top-notch New Jersey, but the basement is blood and violent struggle. Myron thinks it's a sports hero gone wrong.
Tracie Payne
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good one. The best part? Win at the end...love that guy.
Jonetta
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Myron Bolitar is back in this third installment in the series, this time to help investigate the disappearance of Greg Downing, a star basketball player that was his competition during Myron's playing days. Myron has to join the team in order to gain the trust of the people surrounding Greg, bringing him back to what might have been and into the world he thought would have been his destiny.

I really liked this story as we learned more about the circumstances that ended Myron's basketball career.
Eadie
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this 3rd book in the Myron Bolitar series. Interesting characters and a exciting plot keeps the pages turning until the end. Coben also gives us some back history about Myron's college years and how his basketball career injury happened. The witty dialogue between Win and Myron adds much humor to the book. There's also that great twist at the end where the character you least suspect is the bad guy. I can't wait to read the next book in the series as Harlan Coben does not di ...more
Susannah Carleton
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting book, but a very convoluted plot with links to Myron’s past. He gets another chance to play in the NBA, but the reasons for it are neither believable nor realistic.
Goodreads Librari...: Page Count 2 12 Jan 25, 2018 12:52PM
  • Indigo Slam (Elvis Cole, #7)
  • Harlan Coben
  • Redemption Street (Moe Prager, #2)
  • Last Shot (Tim Rackley, #4)
  • Hell Hole (John Ceepak Mystery, #4)
  • The Killing Art (Kate McKinnon, #3)
  • A Cool Breeze on the Underground (Neal Carey, #1)
  • Freedom Flyers: The Tuskegee Airmen of World War II (Oxford Oral History Series)
  • Full Cleveland (Milan Jacovich, #2)
  • The Burglar in the Rye (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #9)
  • Skin Deep
  • Smokescreen
  • Too Close to Home
With over 60 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Coben’s last seven consecutive novels, MISSING YOU, SIX YEARS, STAY CLOSE, LIVE WIRE, CAUGHT, LONG LOST and HOLD TIGHT all debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and lists around the world. His books are published in 43 languages around the globe.

Coben is the winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award – the first aut

Myron Bolitar (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Deal Breaker (Myron Bolitar, #1)
  • Drop Shot (Myron Bolitar, #2)
  • Back Spin (Myron Bolitar, #4)
  • One False Move (Myron Bolitar, #5)
  • The Final Detail (Myron Bolitar, #6)
  • Darkest Fear (Myron Bolitar, #7)
  • Promise Me (Myron Bolitar, #8)
  • Long Lost  (Myron Bolitar, #9)
  • Live Wire (Myron Bolitar, #10)
  • Home (Myron Bolitar, #11)
“So basically, that entire theory is blown to hell."
Not basically," Win corrected. "Entirely.”
19 likes
“He truly believed that no one could love him, and no matter who you are, that hurts. It made you insecure. It made you want to hide and build fences” 10 likes