Start by marking “Average Joe and the Extraordinaires (Average Joe, #1)” as Want to Read:
Average Joe and the Extraordinaires (Average Joe, #1)

Read Book

Average Joe and the Extraordinaires

(Average Joe #1)

On a dark and balmy Floridian night, a strange and mysterious dark haired woman stalks the shadows of the local college football stadium, on the prowl for secrets buried deep beneath the Earth. These secrets, she knows, may change everything including this small town.

While knocking back illegal drinks with his friends at the hallowed Orangetown Pickers' college football s
Published October 2015 by BWright Publishing (first published December 18th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Average Joe and the Extraordinaires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Average Joe and the Extraordinaires

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Belart Wright.)

This wasn’t a bad book, but it wasn’t for me.

I didn’t really feel anything for the characters in this book other than a bit of irritation. I don’t know why this was, but I just couldn’t relate to them at all. I’d have been getting out of the stadium not following some random woman around!

The storyline in this was a bit confusing, and I had trouble following what was going on. I thi
Jasmine
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: I'm sorry to say this, but no one.
I received an ebook copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Unfortunately, I don't like the story very much. Believe me, I did try not to fall asleep when starting the first 5 or 6 chapters but honestly, when I saw how the story was formed and the way it laid out, an inner voice inside me whispered, "Uh, oh. This can't be good." So yeah, I ended up skipping some parts of it and couldn't wait to finish this. ><

For me, this isn't a story. It's like reading manga or comics beca
Maye
Dec 21, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
*A copy was provided by the author for an honest review.*

Joe, his best friend Mod, and his girlfriend Kate were watching a football game when an explosion turned Joe's life into multiple crazy adventures.

I struggled with this book, mainly because there was nothing keeping me interested. The characters were the flattest cardboard cut-outs that I've ever read. The dialogues were written as scripts, which I think was the reason why I didn't feel any emotion coming from them. Plus, there was no ch
Abbie
Jan 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from the author, In exchange for an honest review.)

Actual rating - 2.5

I didn't love the characters in this, but they were alright.

I can't say I enjoyed this very much unfortunately. I spent a lot of the book feeling bored, and it dragged for me because of it. It wasn't awful though, It just wasn't a book for me.

Donte McNeal
If I’m being honest (which I am more often than not), even though I attempt to support promising indie authors, I most likely wouldn’t haven’t even discovered this book if not for certain recommendations. The premise didn’t really jump out at me, but I suppose that’s due to my book before last having a similar premise (in that extraordinary people had shown up, there were secret organizations and magic). Minor spoilers ahead…Now then, let’s jam!

Pros:
• The humor in this book flows so naturally b
Kelly Clare
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was gifted this copy on a read to review basis.

This book is quirky and fun and fantastic. It's not often I feel a children/young teens book fully captures the humour and storyline which this age bracket loves. As a child, I loved the kookiness and the radical storylines of Roald Dahl, Margaret Mahy and Enid Blyton and this book is in a similar (albeit more modern) strain.

Good vs. Evil, magic, shape-shifters and more. Each chapter holds some exciting twist or subtle piece of humour and the auth
Rai-mar
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awesome
This book surprised me with how it changed over the course of the story. What started like a simple, easygoing action, turned into a fantasy adventure with its own world and concept. I don't know what I liked more, the beginning that kept me reading for hours *I read the book in just two sittings*, the middle that told me more about the characters and added more suspense, or the ending that was totally awesome and promising. The way the characters kept showing new sides was interesting and left ...more
Mei
DNF @ 45%

See, I don't DNF books not until I reached the 50% mark. Let me also make this clear that this book wasn't terrible. The premise sounds intriguing, and there was nothing eye rolling about the characters, plot, narration or the idea execution. I just couldn't get into it. It felt dull, and because I put it off for probably 2 days to read another book, and picked it back up again, I couldn't remember much what happened. And that's my sign: if I can't remember enough what happened, I wasn'
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
Joe may be your average guy, but this young one sure got a lot that made him extra special. He was level-headed and always looked out for his friends. He even volunteered to help a stranger whom he thought was a damsel in distress. A beautiful dark-haired woman he called Beauty. But Beauty wasn't really a damsel in distress. On the contrary, she was one heck of a woman capable of doing things beyond the norm. What Joe discovered about Beauty had him gripping and questioning about reality versus ...more
Joannes Rhino
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a page turner for me. I'm saying that because normally takes me a month to finish a whole book. But that's not the case in Average Joe and the Extraordinaires. I found myself lose track of time, and the result I finished reading this in less than a week. That's how powerful this book to me. The storyline isn't complicated, and the characters are easy to remember. Basically, it's a light reading but full of ideas. The conversations are refreshing and realistic. It's a fun reading for ...more
Christina McMullen
Joe may be an average guy, but with a giant BOOM (no really, its in the book), Joe's life no longer is. This is an adventure that begins with action and ends with action. In between there is a lot of mystery and even more humor. The narration is done in a way that keeps the story light, even as Joe is running for his life or stopping assassination attempts.
I really enjoyed this book and I'm looking forward to Joe's next adventure. Highly entertaining and suitable for both young adults and older
Matt Doyle
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Today’s review is ‘Average Joe and the Extraordinaires’, the debut novel by Indie Author Belart Wright, and the first in his ‘Average Joe Series’. I came across this one after I spoke to Belart about reviewing my own debut novel, WICK. He subsequently gave me the opportunity to review this one and I was more than happy to oblige.
Background: Detroit born Belart Wright originally released ‘AJatE’ on December 18th 2014, so it’s been out there for around a year at the time of writing this particular
Geleen Faye
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2015-books
3.5 - 4 Stars!

I was given a free copy of the book by the author.

The story revolves around Joseph Remington "Joe" Black, an average  sixteen year old. Well, there is no distinct description of Joe, which I have later on discovered why at the Fun Facts part of the book. The author wants us to imagine our own average Joe. Well in my mind, Joe is a not so tall, not so thin pimply black-haired teen.

Joe with his friend Mod and girlfriend Kate are watching their favorite team, the Orangetown Pickers, w
Alexandra Engellmann
I received a copy of the book from Belart Wright for the purpose of review.
I'm thoroughly surprised with this book. Usually I spend a week on a new book, slowly savoring all the details, characters, and the world in it. But this one didn't leave me a choice.
The excitement was so strong, I'd probably just read it in one sleepless night (if I didn't pass out after 4 hours). It reminded me of my teen age years when there was no goodreads and such, and to find a good action novel like this one was a
Belart Wright
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
AJE is my first published book and holds a special place in my heart. I have poured a lot of hard work into the characters, world, and plot witnessed inside the book’s pages. I can say with confidence that AJE is a quality product. I made sure to craft something that was great enough to read and enjoy by my own standards. It’s a strange book, a book that doesn’t always follow the rules, and in that way it’s just like me, but ultimately it’s a book with a full year of quality testing and review u ...more
John Mathews
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Average Joe proves to be much more than just an awkward teen. The action is fast-paced, fun, and thrilling, with lots of witty lines and dialogue. Joe will react on instinct, fighting bad guys, saving lives, and going for a girl he calls "beauty", who is more than feisty. This story is great for young readers and the author's style is unique, with characters that will stick in your mind for sometime. Recommended.
Les
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
The story has a lot of potential. Both the first 25% and last 10% of the book moves at a good pace. However, the majority of the book gets lost in a lot of noise about high school bullies and details of things that don't contribute to the story.

April
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was lucky enough to receive a copy of this book from the author, in exchange for a review.

So here goes an honest review:

Average Joe and the Extraordinaires is about an average guy, Joe, who found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time. We follow his adventures (and his new found friends) as he tries to basically just stay alive.

Let me discuss the writing style first. The dialogues are written in a script style, like I was reading from a play. At first, I didn't appreciate it, but as I w
Sally Balboa
Oct 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I received a free copy of this novel from the author in exchange for a review. There is so much humor and creativity in this novel. The writing is very simple, and the story flows without too many bumps. But the writing is part of why I can’t give this the four stars I want to give it. Even though I really did enjoy this story, and recommend it to anyone looking for something original and funny.

Average Joe and The Extraordinaires is about one young man becoming 'Inspired' during a baseball game
Rachel Barnard
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“Confusing the enemy greatly contributes to their defeat.” (Kindle Location 1375).

Joe is your average guy in everything but putting himself in harm’s way to save someone in need. When it comes to helping or saving others, Joe does not hesitate. When he sees ‘Beauty’ in trouble at the local Orangetown Pickers game, he jumps in to help. But Beauty is not your average damsel and she isn’t really in distress, but Joe came at the right time and she uses him to help her save a different damsel. In the
Gracie S
I received a copy of this from the very nice author, hence this honest review.

First up: this isn't my genre, and I feel like I'm definitely part of the target audience (age-wise) for this. But I'm all for supporting indie authors, so my goal for this review is for it to be constructive.

The story itself - plot, setting, and timeline - is laid out well. It's cohesive, with very little holes to poke through, and that's the basic foundation for a good book. I can imagine the attempts for humor worki
Rajalakshmi Prithviraj
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My first thought once I had finished reading the book was whether I was an average Joe myself. I must admit, this book kept me hooked onto it since the beginning.

I had always thought that action was not my kind of genre, but Belart ensured that I underwent a change of thought. This book is very addictive from the very beginning. In fact, its very well written in spite of its simplicity. The language is simple, yet powerful enough to keep to wanting to know whats up next.

This book has mass appea
Adriel Wiggins
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.*
Belart Wright’s Average Joe and the Extraordinaires is a wonderful adventure story. Wright is incredible at creating vivid characters and putting them through their paces in a fast-paced adventure. There were a few instances where a clique was misused, the way someone learning a foreign language might use a phrase they hear a lot, understanding the meanings of individual words, but not the implications of the phrase as a whol
Charlotte
( Source I received this book in exchange for my honest opinion and review. )

Average Joe and the Extraordinaires. ( Average Joe Book 1 )

This wasn't for me hence the start rating. Saying this I can't say it's a bad book, just not my cup of tea. Belart Wright has quite a unique writing technique, and it was one I found quite difficult to connect with.

I found the whole book, characters and story line very hard to connect with and stopped reading just under half way through, this for me rarely happe
Karyogini
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-on-2015
This book was a fun read. It's more for teens than New Adult. They're just applying for college. I am abit frustrated at our Average Joe. He seems so below average sometimes to the point that the other characters are treating him like he is real slow... Um in other words stupid. The other characters are interesting though. I would like to read further because of them.

This is more of an introduction to the world of extra-ordinaries. Seems like there is a lot of potential here.

Spoiler Alert... Don
Mehreen Ahmed
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mehreen Ahmed's review: PDF copy

Belart's Average Joe and Extraordinaries is not the average run of the mill kind of a story at all. In fact, it is quite extraordinary how average Joe transforms into something that the world does not think he is likely to become - an accidental hero. This book is about perspective, a bit like what Shakespear always thought that a fool might speak of wisdom far greater than the so-called wise, the blind may have more vision than those who can actually see. There i
Wanda Hartzenberg
Jan 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Wow. What a cover.

Ok why not 5*?
Well the dialogue is written in a script style which for me did not work at all. The humor ever present in the book saved and almost made up for this though.

Much of the book is about average high school life which bogged down and took away from the original plot. Making the story feel disjointed. However. The book is a fast read and written in a plain no nonsense language making it a fast and over all an enjoyable read.

Most YA books transcends the age barrier.
Ana Meyer
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Filled with fun dialog and creative characters this novel is a fun read. It definitely fits the young adult genre and can be enjoyed by the younger audiences. I also think many adults would find it entertaining. Average Joe feels like a new kind of superhero for masses to enjoy, without feeling like a rip off of any other comic book character. Full of action and adventure Average Joe will not disappoint. It is a great start to a series and I am really looking forward to the next book.
Rochelle
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rock-my-tbr
Full review here as part of a Virtual Book Tour : https://chocomeiske.wordpress.com/201...

Overall, an entertaining , intriguing, action-packed read which, because of the lack of indecent language and explicit scenes, makes it appealing to all ages.
Aly
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was a wonderful surprise for me. I love these books about good and evil and everything in between. I think this book is great for my niece and I will tell her about it. I want to thank the author for such a great book. * I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: New Cover 3 16 Oct 23, 2015 03:18AM
  • Dragon Her Back (Las Vegas Dragons, #3)
  • Time Traitor (American Epochs #1)
  • Love Letters from God: Bible Stories