Start by marking “Mercer Street (American Journey, #2)” as Want to Read:
Mercer Street (American Journey, #2)

Mercer Street

(American Journey #2)

Published October 21st 2015 by John A. Heldt

To ask other readers questions about Mercer Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mercer Street

Start your review of Mercer Street (American Journey, #2)
Phyllis Eisenstadt
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing

BOOM

If you like time travel novels, you will LOVE this one. It is intricately detailed and well crafted, and held my interest from beginning to end. The narrative was so realistic that it seemed I not only saw and heard the characters speak and interact with each other, but I actually felt their individual dilemmas, and was trying to help them find solutions. So, in essence, this novel was interactive for me.

What I especially appreciated about this novel is that there is an aspect very similar t
Dianne
Three generations of strong women take a mental and emotional break from a recent loss by taking in the sun and sand of California, as well as an intriguing speech given by a man who discusses time travel and its possibilities. Little did Susan, her mother Elizabeth and her daughter Amanda know that this one chance meeting with this professor would lead them to a world filled with memories, hope, renewal and even their fated destinies.

Imagine being able to see your infant self, meet the parents
Heena Rathore P.
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Note: I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Mercer Street by John A. Heldt is the second book in the Americal Journey Series. As a fan of Mr. Heldt's books I had a lot of expectations for this book, and as expected, this book lived up to each and every single one of them.

I always find Mr. Heldt's novels very meticulous, gripping and heart-warming. There's a unique quality about his writing that makes you feel eerily happy and content while reading his b
Kellyn Roth
Originally posted on Reveries Reviews

I’ve decided to make this a brief review as I didn’t enjoy the book a lot and I’m short of time today.

Mercer Street wasn’t a bad novel, but the content was simply too much for me to enjoy it (causing me to remove a star).

Plot: 4/5

I really enjoyed much of the plot, especially the ending, which really surprised me and was the perfect resolution. It was a little slow-paced at times.

I did find it a little unbelievable that Bell would choose to share his secret wi
Ashley Tomlinson
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have read a few of books by Heldt, all about time travel. Mercer Street is the second book in the American Journey series and since I enjoyed the first naturally I wanted to read this one. This author is very talented when it comes to creating stories about time travel and I look forward to more from him.

Susan, Elizabeth and Amanda are on vacation when they attend a lecture about time travel by Geoffrey Bell. When Mr. Bell approaches them with an impossible opportunity to travel back in time t
Casee Marie
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The second book in John Heldt’s American Journey series finds three generations of twenty-first century women on an adventure to pre-WWII New Jersey in a search for closure, clarity, and childhood innocence. Novelist Susan Peterson is still trying to find calm amid the chaos following her husband’s unexpected death, grappling with the reality of his infidelity while trying to hold the world together for her daughter, Amanda. When Susan’s mother, Elizabeth, accompanies the Peterson women on a Cal ...more
Sheri
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mercer Street (American Journey # 2) by John A. Heldt

Susan Peterson, after the death of her cheating husband decides to take a vacation to California with her mother Elizabeth and daughter Amanda. Once there they meet a professor who tells them of time travel.

The three women go back in time to 1939. Elizabeth wants to go to Princeton New Jersey to see her parents and (herself) as a baby. Once there Elizabeth gets the chance to befriend her young immigrant parents, Susan falls for a an Admiral,
Angela Kay
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mercer Street is the second book of John A, Heldt's American Journey five-part series. Like the rest of the books, it's not required to be read in order. I started off with the third novel, Class of '69. I quickly became a fan of Heldt's writing and couldn't wait for more. I was glad this one didn't disappoint.

Now that I've read all five, in this second book, I've noticed a lot of similarities with the other novels, such as repetition in the dialogue between characters, which made me begin skimm
Jackie
Book Info
Published October 21st 2015 by John A. Heldt
original title Mercer Street
ASIN B0170DP9TQ
edition language English
other editions None found
Source
[Digital copy from Author]in exchange for an honest review

Book Buy Link
Amazon
NO B&N LINK AS YET

BOOK SYNOPSIS

Weeks after her husband dies in the midst of an affair in 2016, Chicago writer Susan Peterson, 48, seeks solace on a California vacation with her mother
Ailyn
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you have read September Sky, then you would be familiar with the process for American Journey series. After a lecture on time travelling, they were invited to have a chat with Professor Bell, the man who believes that it can be done.

With her mother and daughter by her side, Susan embarks on a new journey in 1938. Like the previous travelers before them, it was a priceless experience, not one without danger. Any thing may impact on their lives in the future. It was a volatile situation, being
Andrea Lundgren
Dec 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: literary-fiction
Book Review: I've always been fond of time travel, so when the author contacted me about reviewing "Mercer Street," I was definitely interested.

However, I would not say this book is a romance, or a science fiction book, even. It's focused on the trio--Susan, Elizabeth, and Amanda--and how the journey back in time changes them, and yet how their intergenerational bond is stronger than anything. Even romance and death have to play second fiddle to their relationships with each other.

So here's a cl
Rachel T
5 out of 5 for this reader folks!

Oh John Heldt … is there anything you write that I won’t fall in love with? NOPE! LOL

I have come to expect one heck of a journey when I pick up a John Heldt novel, one that brings time travel, history, shock, love, sniffly “I just peeled an onion” moments, the need for a box of kleenex, nods of the head and a deep satisfaction that all is how it should be. Mercer Street is the second book of John’s American Journey series and like his first one I was completely s
Pamela King
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mercer Street is John Heldt’s seventh novel and the second in his “American Journey” series.

When I reviewed the first John A. Heldt book I declared I had found a new favourite author. He hasn’t disappointed me with Mercer Street. I also said that I was not a time travel fan but Heldt’s books are different. They are free from technical gadgetry that can put a time travel story into the sci-fi genre.

Heldt writes with an obvious love of history and this is where his strength lies. His attention t
Sue
Mar 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I received a free copy of this book in return for an honest review.

Mercer Street is obviously well researched and the author uses the various senses in describing the scenes of the past, from the unfamiliar smell of leaded gasoline used in 1938 to the then and now differences in towns across the USA visited by the characters.

The story has a steady pace throughout and there were some twists and turns in the plot development and even a few surprises, especially towards the end.

The book contains t
Lara Girdler
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
John’s hit another one out of the park! As soon as I finished reading September Sky I knew I wanted to read this one! He’d hinted at the story line and it intrigued me from the off. He has a way of writing characters so that you become so immersed in their story that you don’t even realize you’ve begun reading a book. He just writes them that well. This time was no different, you see the journey of three modern-day women in the late 1930’s, a time when America was at a turning point and Europe w ...more
Ryan
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this seventh time travel novel by John Heldt, we follow three generations of women from 2017 to Princeton, NJ in 1938. Mr. Heldt's previous Northwest Passage series dealt with fish-out-of-water characters thrown decades into the past, sometimes into the path of a volcanic eruption or uber-large fire, while American Journey has its characters volunteer for the process, complete with deposit check and waiver forms. As always, he has done his research and constructed an intriguing sandbox for th ...more
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I've been reading John Heldt books for a long time. It's time travel and it's historical fiction all wrapped up in one. I love historical fiction and it's one of the things I love best about John Heldt's books. He knows how to include so many historical things into his books and make things come alive that way.

In this edition, we get to travel with three ladies back to 1938 in New Jersey. Each lady represents a generation in her family. The beginning was really slow going for me. Elizabeth, Susa
On My Kindle BR
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: onmykindlebr
I received a free e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

It took me several days to read the first book in this series, September Sky, but it took me only a couple of days to read this book. It didn't take me long to realize that Heldt's writing has changed. The attention to detail with regard to the characters, the setting, and the era are still present, and add realism to the plot; however, the details are written more concisely.

I like how Heldt does romance in his books. He act
Melanie Adkins
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Susan Peterson's life changed drastically in 2016. She found her husband was having an affair and then he died. Susan was furious about the affair but wasn't sure what to do with herself. Susan, her mother and daughter had planned a trip to California long before the world started crashing down around Susan. After talking it over, the three women decide the trip was just what they needed. It would clear the cobwebs out of their minds and allow them time to just relax. The trip however, is one th ...more
Shaz X
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mercer Street is a well written engaging story that's not only entertaining but a history lesson as well. It's a story that has 3 points of view over 3 generations of the one family all seeing 1938 through their own eyes.

There appears to be an enormous amount of care taken with this book to entwine real historical events in with these characters and that makes this feel more like a true story rather than fiction.

The characters are very easy to relate to and feel like real people that you would k
Marie (UK)
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the second in a series I started so long ago that I had almost forgotten the first one. it came back to me but even if it had not this one holds its place on its own. Characterisation is excellent. Heldt has an easy to read style and lets the narrative flow naturally. There are a few twists and turns along the way which i enjoyed and the ending has a feel good factor even if part of me says it couldn't really have happened like this.
Jim
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have read all of John's book and this one was as exciting as all the others. I like the science fiction of time travel and the history lesson you receive during the development of the story. The characters are always believable and very likable. I also like that there are always a few surprises that make you grin. John is an excellent storyteller, I look forward to his next novel.
Roxie Prince
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this review and more on my blog at [Roxie Writes].

'Mercer Street (American Journey Book 2)' by John A. Heldt

Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Donadee's Corner by: Author
Mercer Street American Journey bk 2 by John A Heldt Review
What would you do if you could meet yourself???

Love, honor, and courage take center stage in the second book of John Heldt’s American Journey time-travel series as three women from the present become entangled in the past in the tension-filled months leading up to World War II. Weeks after her husband dies in the middle of an affair, Susan Peterson, 48, seeks solace on a California vacation with her mother Elizabeth and daughter Amanda. T
Jessica Bronder
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Susan Peterson is a romance author that has just lost her husband and learned that he was having an affair. She is broken hearted and decides to take her daughter, Amanda, and her mother, Elizabeth on a beach get away. While there they attend a talk given by a time traveling professor and they agree to go back in time. The three women find themselves in 1938 Princeton, NJ.

Elizabeth connects with her immigrant parents that she lost many years earlier. She is introduced to herself as an infant and
B S LUPTON NEILSON
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
FASCINATING!

Very interesting time-travel story, especially considering it was set in this century unlike others I've read....the timeline stayed where it should be and did not wander or stray from the time set in the story.

I was also impressed with the historical events accurately and faithfully recorded.

Most of all, I was particularly impressed with the well-constructed sentences and the excellent grammar! In most of today's writings, I see a lack of attention to proper tenses in verbs and ther
Deedra
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Audible:This was kind of 'Time Travel lite'.A mother,daughter and grandmother go back to an earlier time 'just to visit'.There is to be no meddeling w/time.Of course they can't resist and we never get to know how their doing this affects the long run.It is fun to think about the concept.I found either the writing or narration a bit weird.Chaz Allen has a pleasant,sing song voice that seems too pleasant even when trouble is afoot.“I was voluntarily provided this free review copy audiobook by the ...more
Nicole
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 stars.

Three generations of women travel back in time to have two G-rated romances and for the third to stalk her own younger self & parents. They spend a year in the past and manage not to do or see anything of interest.

I enjoyed Heldt's 'Northwest Passage' series of time travel romances (even though I'm not generally a romance fan). But this 'American Journey' series is a yawn - characters who have the option of going back in time and then don't do anything special with their opportunity.
Carol
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A delightful tale this one.. number 2 in the series. A bit different from the first, apart from a different time. Three women - daughter, mother and grandmother travel to 1938. A time in America that was overshadowed by the threat of war in Europe. Once again, Professor Bells' "rules" ar not completely obeyed LOL.

Number 3 already started... just loving this series. Very well written and NO editing issues that I have noticed (which is unusual these days).
Teresa Kusant
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Time Travel, History, Romance, Surprise Ending

It has it all! I loved this book because it has a family of three heroines: grandmother, mother and daughter all traveling together back in time to when the grandmother was an infant in 1939, just at the start of WWII. It covered many important moments in history during that year from each woman’s perspective. I especially loved the surprise ending!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Fisher (The Ghosts of Culloden Moor Book 49)
  • The Port Elspeth Jewelry Making Club
  • Where Hearts Meet (Jasmine Cottage #1)
  • The Devil May Care (Rogues & Gentlemen #4)
  • The Lost Valley (The Tasmanian Tales #2)
  • Echo in Time (Echo Trilogy, #1)
  • A Thief in Time (A Thief in Time, #1)
  • The Paris Package
  • Across Time (Parallel, #3)
  • Moonlight (Rose of Anzio, #1)
  • The Advocate's Conviction (The Advocate #3)
  • The Secret of the King's Tomb (Richard Halliburton Adventure #1)
  • The Letter (Comfort Crossing #3)
  • One Wicked Winter (Rogues & Gentlemen, #6)
  • The Spy Who Seduced Her (The Brethren, #1)
  • Paramour Bay Mysteries Books 1-3 (Paramour Bay Mysteries Boxset Book 1)
  • All the Dying Children
  • The Vampire Knitting Club (Vampire Knitting Club #1)
John A. Heldt is the author of the critically acclaimed Northwest Passage, American Journey, Carson Chronicles, and Time Box series. The former reference librarian and award-winning sportswriter has loved getting subjects and verbs to agree since writing book reports on baseball heroes in grade school. A graduate of the University of Oregon and the University of Iowa, Heldt is an avid fisherman, s ...more

American Journey (5 books)
  • September Sky (American Journey, #1)
  • Indiana Belle (American Journey, #3)
  • Class of '59 (American Journey, #4)
  • Hannah's Moon (American Journey Book 5)