Start by marking “Breaker and the Sun (Paper Stars, #3)” as Want to Read:
Breaker and the Sun (Paper Stars, #3)

Breaker and the Sun

(Paper Stars #3)

New from Lauren Nicolle Taylor, the best-selling author of Nora and Kettle, comes a fresh take on a classic tale.

Breaker Van Winkle is a recently returned Vietnam vet, struggling with PTSD and the difficulties of readjusting to civilian life with his mother. Eighteen-year-old Sunny is a high-achieving Chinese-French immigrant who fled Vietnam during the war. Sunny is usual
Published May 8th 2017 by Clean Teen Publishing, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Breaker and the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaker and the Sun

Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, may-2017

Gah, this book was beyond beautiful. Much like its predecessor  Nora & Kettle (which I also loved so, so much), it is full of postwar heartache and obstacles. It's a lovely story about Sunny, who lost her parents in the Vietnam war after an attack and is now trying to navigate life with her grandparents, and Breaker, who fought in the war and is still dealing with a lot of PTSD and
mith
You can read my review here as well!

Last year, when I read Nora & Kettle, I immediately fell in love. The story was beautiful and heartbreaking and such a wonderful retelling, both unique in its execution and refreshing in its setting. I was eagerly hoping for a sequel and I was beyond the moon when I heard about Breaker and the Sun.

This book follows a new story with new characters, so you don't need to read Nora & Kettle to understand it!

I really liked this book. It was a bit hard to ge
Emily Shore
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Breaker and the Sun was magnificent. I can't applaud this book enough! Set post Vietnam War and broken into the two perspectives of a PTSD, worn-down young Vietnam vet, Breaker, and Asian immigrant, Sunny, it is a tale how these two remarkable young people end up meeting at a supernatural tree and conquer the obstacles of prejudice and racism hovering between them. Definitely one I would recommend, especially for schools seeking diverse reads. Vivid and compelling prose, humorous scenes, poignan ...more
Doris Marcantel
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What can I say about author Lauren Nicolle Taylor's new book Breaker And The Sun? It's SPECTACULAR!!!!!!! I get into her books so much that I forget where I am and am easily able to put myself in the story. Not many authors can do that for me, but she is definitely one of them!!!
Bailey Peyton
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lisa
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding

These characters came to life for me and I cheered them on. Once again a book that calls to the heart and gets to the middle of the anguish that PTSD can cause. It is the hardest thing I have had to come through injuries aside. The most damage is on the inside, and most people don't get to see that particular injury. I love that this book shows how life has to fit in around the illness and how recovery takes place for some. It is a joyous book and thank you for writing this. I look fo
Bethany Cousins
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"She is the light. And me? I’m the dark spaces between. The absence of light that gives the sun its contrast."
Lauren Nicolle Taylor has a masterful talent for bringing beautiful new light into the darkest moments. Her writing is entrancing, weaving pain and dark truth into an incredible story. Two broken people, two wounded souls, one magnificent tale.
Karen Kepner
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third book in Paper Stars trilogy

I was disappointed when I started this book, believing it was a continuation of Kite and Hiro’s story - it wasn’t. It took me a while to understand the characters and the story were a completely different one. Still characterizing racism and emotional scars, but entirely different. The book was good even though not what I was expecting.
Janine
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good retelling

Always love this author. Story and relationships develop well in this retelling of Rip Van Winkle, although I felt the ending was cut a bit short. I would have loved to have a longer epilogue where we learn in more detail how the characters futures played out. All in all, worth the read.
Nikki
One character suffers from PTSD because of the war. One character's life has changed forever because of the war. Both had tragic events change their lives, and now they both face the challenges of moving on. Their journeys - both together and apart - are told beautifully.

Tiffany Taylor
May 10, 2017
Gigi
Oct 20, 2018
______
rated it did not like it
Oct 03, 2018
Kelly
Sep 10, 2017
Mandy
Jun 12, 2017
Lauren Taylor
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Daithi-Benji
Jul 25, 2017
Cynthia (Bingeing On Books)
Jul 28, 2017
Juliet Burk
Sep 01, 2017
Robin
Jan 21, 2018
  • Trix and the Faerie Queen (The Trix Adventures #2; Books of Arilland #6)
  • Deadfall (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, # 12)
  • Just Like the Ones We Used to Know
  • The Starfighter Invitation
  • The Mind Virus (The Wired #3)
  • The Dreamer's Song (Nine Kingdoms #11)
  • Cormorant Run
  • A Place of Stone and Shadow
  • The War of the Givens (Silvers, #3)
  • Dead of Winter (Lily Dale Mystery, #3 & Lily Dale, #7)
  • Reconnected (Disconnected, #2)
  • Rückkehr (Das Feuerzeichen, #3)
  • Ava's Revenge (Unbounded #1.5)
  • Drifters' Alliance, Book 2 (Drifters' Alliance, #2)
  • Bridge Through Time
  • Polar Vortex
  • The Barriers (Breeders #5)
  • Unhinged (Crazy, #4)
Lauren Nicolle Taylor lives in the lush Adelaide Hills. The daughter of a Malaysian nuclear physicist and an Australian scientist, she was expected to follow a science career path, attending Adelaide University and completing a Health Science degree with Honours in obstetrics and gynaecology.

She then worked in health research for a short time before having her first child. Due to their extensive

Paper Stars (3 books)
  • Nora & Kettle (Paper Stars, #1)
  • Hiro Loves Kite: Nora and Kettle’s story continues. (A Paper Stars Novel Book 2)